Obsession with measuring BP at hospitals

SnareBear

How many TV guys wake up, go online on TV and see if there is something about Thailand they can whine about?

Having a usually pretty young thai gal check your blood pressure and weight is WAY down the list of things but whine away. Maybe it will help your blood pressure go down?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually don't let them do the BP and weighing thing if I find that it is not needed for whatever reason I visit the doctor.

I do believe it is part of a scam - to sell more medicine (and please don't buy medicine at the hospital, get the name of it - and buy it outside).

They do not follow correct procedures, as far as I know - you must have your BP measured after at least 10 - 15 minutes resting. Walking

in to the hospital (stairs etc.) is only making the BP higher. Do also remember the "fear of the uniform factor", which for some people

can cause the BP to be to high.

• Like 1

They do this because they are trying to justify their existence, (and your bill) You are correct in saying its unnecessary except for the very first visit to establish a base line and be able to warn you of an abnormal reading.

The staff carrying out this pointless process haven't got a clue what they are doing so complaining to them is totally pointless. (resistance is futile, you will be assimilated)

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

If it is unnecessary except for the first visit to establish a base line. What good is is a base line with out others to compare it to. Also how do you know that the one day you allowed it to be taken is actually the real base line. How do you know yesterday was not the real base line or tomorrow is.facepalm.gif

You are right.

"Wrist meters are NOT recommended. Get the upper arm one."

Please expand your comment, my Dr is satisfied that I use a Wrist Meter.

Dr.Morgan has tried for about 6 months to obtain the large size upper arm sleeve.

On my last visit she told me that her 'Supplier' had been unable to obtain.

john

I accompanied my wife to BNH. They wanted to test my blood pressure, I found this highly amusing so asked why, the response was that I didn't have to if I didn't want to !!...

I'm guessing its SOP to test anyones blood pressure - A money maker and a safety measure.

They also like to measure weight and height... between hospitals I very by 3cm and 4 kgs !!

How much were they going to charge you?

....At the hospital ! ! ! ??? .....maybe an arm and a leg.....

Blood pressure readings taken at the start of a hospital visit are envariably not accurate since a large percentage of the population is white coat phobic, thios means that the BP reading is unusually high because the patient is in a hospital environment and subconciously nervous. I take my BP every day and it's an average 124/75, if I have it checked in a hospital and hour later it can easily be 155/90 which I tend to ignore.

Also, next time you're in Rajavej, check your weight on mutilple weigh scales, the difference between the readings is up to five kilo's!

Most of the time it is not taken correctly anyway. Either the arm band is put on to tight or loose .They do not understand when you show them the correct fitting.

That is in most cases but not all that I have experienced here.

I had my legs crossed at ankles when a nurse came to take my blood pressure in a crisis situation and she never even asked me to uncross them.

How about the testing the oxygen level in the blood with the clip on the finger that is included at some hospitals? If you are running on low oxygen, you are not running strong.

Edited by Dante99

I simply tell them I do not want to want to measure either my blood pressure or my weight and they do not.

last time at ram i said the same,and the manager or head nurse come and give me the cock and bull story about only best for you want to get best advice ecetra,give in okay you win.

I simply tell them I do not want to want to measure either my blood pressure or my weight and they do not.

last time at ram i said the same,and the manager or head nurse come and give me the cock and bull story about only best for you want to get best advice ecetra,give in okay you win.

Its far from a "cock and bull story" as previous posters, with medical knowledge, have outlined but if it's a major drama for you either refuse/ walk out/ threaten legal action/invasion of your privacy etc

I don't ever remember suffering any pain from having my BP taken nor do I find it difficult stepping up on the scales.

But each to his own ,life was not meant to be easy.

Lastly the nurse/head nurse/manager are only doing their job ,according to the policy of the hospital, try to accept that fact with grace.

Thanks to all the good information I have received from the self diagnosing people I did not bother to walk the extra 150 meters to the hospital and get my free BP and weight taken.

It was a close call though but I remembered what the self diagnosing people who go to a doctor (I guess to give them advice) any how said and I passed on it. Maybe next time my will power will waver and I will give in to it. Just thinking about it gives me the shivers.xWPFflags.gif.pagespeed.ic.52UL_9jJ74.pn

It's all (mostly) bullshyt to occupy their time and to add on a charge 'for no real benefit' But they think it makes them look 'professional' which is generally far short of reality. Given there are some who know what they are doing.

And as someone has written the method of testing is prone to inaccuracies. The only real way to get an accurate measurement is the old arm band, squeeze bulb and stethoscope.

But, of course they need to know how to do it.

It's all (mostly) bullshyt to occupy their time and to add on a charge 'for no real benefit' But they think it makes them look 'professional' which is generally far short of reality. Given there are some who know what they are doing.

And as someone has written the method of testing is prone to inaccuracies. The only real way to get an accurate measurement is the old arm band, squeeze bulb and stethoscope.

But, of course they need to know how to do it.

I have been inside a shed load of hospitals in Thailand and the practice on measuring BP and weight is the same at all of them, I can't think of one hospital where these tests are chargeable on their own, instead they are a part of the doctors consultation. Also, it's perfactly acceptable to use automated BP monitoring machines in the first instance, only if there is serious doubt about the validity of the test in the case of a specific patient is it necessary to check manually.

And finally, those folks that are complaining about having to sumbit to and pay for (indirectly) the test, wise up and look and see if things are done differently in any western country, they are not.

When I was a patient at Rajavej for a routine knee arthroscopy, these "routine" procedures revealed a heart anomaly as well as a bad combination of meds. Since then, all is normal. I am happy that they do these routine tests and that they actually get reviewed.

• Like 1