Obsession with measuring BP at hospitals

SnareBear

To help high blood pressure people.......Do not eat salt. Eat two Beetroots a day....or drink Beetroot juice.

Would that be before the night of beer drinking or after?

Both, then you can drink beer and become healthier thumbsup.gif

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its becoming pretty common practice in the UK these days - High blood pressure is known as a silent killer since you dont feel any effects until much too late. It is something that varies all the time which is exactly why they do a lot of readings because the avereage over a period is a far better indicator. MY doctor will sometimes do 2/3 tests if the first reading is too high - this is because your body needs to be relaxed to get the most accurate reading - people are often stressed when they first get in the surgery - I have known my blood pressure drop quite a lot just for taking a few moments to breathe and relax and it is the relaxed setting that matters

There is no charge for the BP check and checking the weight. It is included in the office visit. I'm not sure where some of you come from but it is SOP in the USA too.

I'm assuming the OP went to Dr. Siri at his Sriphat clinic. For some reason he likes to have the BP and weight checked twice in 30 minutes. Never could understand that.

Yes the BP will be different each time.

I guess it matters where in the states that you were going. In California & Nevada, with my doctors at least, it was not standard practice. Only if you had show blood pressure problems in the past, and it was an issue they were dealing with.

About 4 years ago my blood pressure was measured at 180/110 and I was prescribed medication. I bought an Omron blood pressure machine and have used it religiously every morning and register the readings with Microsoft Excel. I compile monthly reports showing the daily readings and the calculated highest, lowest and average for systolic and diastolic readings and heartbeat. These monthly reports are then copied onto the overall picture sheet which shows only the calclated monthly readings. I pass acopy of monthly readings to my doctor who adds them to my record in his patient database.

I have little faith in the machines used in any of the hospitals for several reasons. Readings are taken by untrained if not unqualified persons. The machines are in constant use whereas the manual states that readings should be taken at 10 minute intervals to allow the machine to return to a steady state. The cuffs come into contact with all patients, some of who may be infected, yet bottles of spray are to be found all over the place advising everybody to rub some on their hands to prevent the spread of infections. All of the hospitals stated that they periodically washed the cuffs. With delicate electronic sensors inside them?????? Does anybody ever read a user manual? No hospital confirmed that they regularly calibrated their machines.

After picking up a deep vein thrombosis I used to attend a hospital at weekly intervals to have my INR checked. This is a measure of the ability of blood to clot and is taken to ensure that the medication is doing its job. Time after time I was pestered to have my blood pressure taken when all I wanted was to have a blood sample taken by a nurse and I would wait 10 minutes of so to get the result. One young lady was so insistent that I couldn't be bothered to keep on telling her I knew my blood pressure was not a problem and agreed to submit myself to her ministrations. However I insisted that she use the tried tested and trusted method which she reluctantly agreed to. The reading was normal 115/70 or something like that. I then asked that she take it again using the machine in which she had so much faith. The systolic was 200 and I told her that I didn't want to know the rest.

When I go to see my doctor to collect another 3 months supply of the medications that keep me fighting fit, I ask him to take my blood pressure using his sphygmomanometer and then retake it using my machine thus ensuring the my daily reradings are accurate. The variation between the two is very small. All the doctors that I have spoken to accept that the machine is very second best but those used in the ER are not the same as those used to register 'vital signs'. Although I do at times find it annoying I would be content if the additional 'vital signs' tests were carried out such as body temperature and the level of oxygen in the blood, simple and non-invasive procedures. A complete blood count every three months can cost as little as 100 baht at a private laboratory and will give details of cholesterol levels and may other things that might tell you that a visit to the quack is advisable, if only to put your mind at rest.

OMG...GRIZZLE, grizzle, grizzle!!

They can check my BP, weight and anything else as often as they wish. Here in Chiang Mai, we have the best degree of Medical and I have experienced aside from my own GP in Perth, Western Australia and he "saved my life" by spotting a problem while sitting in a restaurant. He wasn't even my GP at the time.

Top Marks to the Medical profession in Chiang Mai, I've had a couple of ops here over the years and can only praise our medical facilities.

Edited by onthedarkside
insulting remarks removed

Vital signs are measures of various physiological statistics, often taken by health professionals, in order to assess the most basic body functions. Vital signs are an essential part of a case presentation. The act of taking vital signs normally entails recording body temperature, pulse rate (or heart rate), blood pressure, and respiratory rate, but may also include other measurements.

Taking blood pressure is standard procedure and essential. And my doc never charged me a single baht for it.

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................Most Most posters here seem in need of a Hypertension Med.This Lumpy Marmalade is toooooo much to stand here, drivers mocycles bumpy roads, No Marmite.crazy.gif

• Like 1

A mate of mine said his girlie bar Thai girlfriend gave him high blood pressure. When she died of exhaustion he had her buried in a "Y" shaped coffin because she spent most of her life in that position.

What a moaning, groaning and tiresome bunch some of you old f***s are. Obviously none of you moaners ever lost a friend or family member through a stroke. It is one of the most devastating medical disasters that can happen to one, especially if you are unlucky enough to survive it...be so happy that they check your BP every time. Whether it costs a few baht or not.

On a lighter note, can anyone suggest a BP measuring wristband as mentioned elsewhere in this post, or a home instrument that I can buy?

You can get battery / mains operated arm cuff BP monitors for around 2k baht at any large pharmacy. Mine always measures a couple of units lower than the local government hospital that I use but I put that down to the lovely nurses.

My BP goes through the roof when I go to a hospital, even to my local doctor ,,around 190/95, its classified as "white coat fever" not uncommon.On returning home I check with my own machine (arm type) which I have had for 8 years and its around 135/70 where it should be. I regularly take the machine with me and check its readings against my Doctors,its never let me down as long as you keep new batteries on hand.

My wife used to work at a Doctors receptionist in CM and was quite often on the receiving end of a rant from patients,of European origin mainly,who objected to her asking for a reading each visit.Of course the same gentlemen never said a word to the Dr who had instructed my wife to do the test in the first place. Its amazing how some people can find something to complain about when all is being done for their benefit.

• Like 1

About 4 years ago my blood pressure was measured at 180/110 and I was prescribed medication. I bought an Omron blood pressure machine and have used it religiously every morning and register the readings with Microsoft Excel. I compile monthly reports showing the daily readings and the calculated highest, lowest and average for systolic and diastolic readings and heartbeat. These monthly reports are then copied onto the overall picture sheet which shows only the calclated monthly readings. I pass acopy of monthly readings to my doctor who adds them to my record in his patient database.

I have little faith in the machines used in any of the hospitals for several reasons. Readings are taken by untrained if not unqualified persons. The machines are in constant use whereas the manual states that readings should be taken at 10 minute intervals to allow the machine to return to a steady state. The cuffs come into contact with all patients, some of who may be infected, yet bottles of spray are to be found all over the place advising everybody to rub some on their hands to prevent the spread of infections. All of the hospitals stated that they periodically washed the cuffs. With delicate electronic sensors inside them?????? Does anybody ever read a user manual? No hospital confirmed that they regularly calibrated their machines.

After picking up a deep vein thrombosis I used to attend a hospital at weekly intervals to have my INR checked. This is a measure of the ability of blood to clot and is taken to ensure that the medication is doing its job. Time after time I was pestered to have my blood pressure taken when all I wanted was to have a blood sample taken by a nurse and I would wait 10 minutes of so to get the result. One young lady was so insistent that I couldn't be bothered to keep on telling her I knew my blood pressure was not a problem and agreed to submit myself to her ministrations. However I insisted that she use the tried tested and trusted method which she reluctantly agreed to. The reading was normal 115/70 or something like that. I then asked that she take it again using the machine in which she had so much faith. The systolic was 200 and I told her that I didn't want to know the rest.

When I go to see my doctor to collect another 3 months supply of the medications that keep me fighting fit, I ask him to take my blood pressure using his sphygmomanometer and then retake it using my machine thus ensuring the my daily reradings are accurate. The variation between the two is very small. All the doctors that I have spoken to accept that the machine is very second best but those used in the ER are not the same as those used to register 'vital signs'. Although I do at times find it annoying I would be content if the additional 'vital signs' tests were carried out such as body temperature and the level of oxygen in the blood, simple and non-invasive procedures. A complete blood count every three months can cost as little as 100 baht at a private laboratory and will give details of cholesterol levels and may other things that might tell you that a visit to the quack is advisable, if only to put your mind at rest.

Where can one get a complete blood work up for 100 baht in Chiang Mai? Where is such a private laboratory?

I have high B.P.

Now using Dr. Morgan her machine had a 'Arm Band' which was too tight.

She told me this would result in a high reading which she allowed for, Dr Tavachai had told me same many years ago but he also has one with a large Arm band, which is difficult to obtain.

I bought an Omron 'Wrist' monitor and have used that for last 6 months.

The 'Tech' at the Parmacy explained that my upper arm size was 46 cms and most 'Arm Bands' only go up too 42 cms.

A tight arm band gives a higher then correct reading a loose band giving a low reading.

BP vaires over course of a day and will be high after any strenuous activity so your advised to check same time each day when not under stress.

john

Omron Large Cuff goes up to 42cm, but they do have an XL Cuff that goes up to 50cm.

I simply tell them I do not want to want to measure either my blood pressure or my weight and they do not.

The one time I did that I still got charged the 'Nursing' and 'Packaged Medical' fees.

Kind of like trying to buy a candy bar less the wrapper same price with or with out.

You can always go to a doctor and tell them what you want done and not done but you cannot dictate to them their prices. So why not take the package and give them a better chance at diagnosing you?

I find it amusing that so many foreigners insist on using the most expensive hospitals in the country, then get upset by the amount of the cheapest item on the hospital bill.

My last hospital visit (about 2 weeks ago) in CM, to have 6-8 stitches in my leg removed, reception nurse took my BP, see the doctor, nurse in emergency room removes stitches and then bandages leg. Total bill 120bht. How much did it cost for the BP, why would I care?

I think it is funny as well. My grandmother was killed in Tucson AZ, hit by a car.... dead on arrival at the hospital but the hospital had a two page bill itemized invoice for 3K+ USD (20 years ago). At least here my living invoice is no more than 3 lines from local hospitals. Usually, a certain amount for doctor visit, one for x-ray or test that I had, and one line if medication is prescribed. I have never had a line item for nursing charge, BP measurement etc.

Any GOOD hospital is going to collect basic statistics for each visit since having a history of your normal stats will help in future diagnostics. High Blood pressure is widely under diagnosed, and the cause of many other problems. Change in weight will typically affect your blood pressure, as well as liver functionality etc. People that won't allow there pressure etc. to be taken are only hampering proper diagnostics and only hurting themselves in the future. I have never ever visited a doctor in North America or here that did not take my blood pressure and weight on every visit.

High blood pressure is a very big problem here (undiagnosed), especially as you go down the income ladder (near epidemic levels in the slums).

I accompanied my wife to BNH. They wanted to test my blood pressure, I found this highly amusing so asked why, the response was that I didn't have to if I didn't want to !!...

I'm guessing its SOP to test anyones blood pressure - A money maker and a safety measure.

They also like to measure weight and height... between hospitals I very by 3cm and 4 kgs !!

No obsession. In every medical facility that I have ever been to around the world during my entire life this is a common and prudent practice. Redundancy is even more of a sound policy with older people. Perhaps your concern should be with Vascular Dementia rather than Liver Spots? wink.png

There is no charge for the BP check and checking the weight. It is included in the office visit. I'm not sure where some of you come from but it is SOP in the USA too.

I'm assuming the OP went to Dr. Siri at his Sriphat clinic. For some reason he likes to have the BP and weight checked twice in 30 minutes. Never could understand that.

I guess it matters where in the states that you were going. In California & Nevada, with my doctors at least, it was not standard practice. Only if you had show blood pressure problems in the past, and it was an issue they were dealing with.

well that certainly sounds like the proactive type of healthcare that keeps people alive.

I accompanied my wife to BNH. They wanted to test my blood pressure, I found this highly amusing so asked why, the response was that I didn't have to if I didn't want to !!...

I'm guessing its SOP to test anyones blood pressure - A money maker and a safety measure.

They also like to measure weight and height... between hospitals I very by 3cm and 4 kgs !!

I vary by half that (2cm, 2kg) that much in a day depending on eating, water retention, workout etc. Not a surprise.

They do this because they are trying to justify their existence, (and your bill) You are correct in saying its unnecessary except for the very first visit to establish a base line and be able to warn you of an abnormal reading.

The staff carrying out this pointless process haven't got a clue what they are doing so complaining to them is totally pointless. (resistance is futile, you will be assimilated)

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

If it is unnecessary except for the first visit to establish a base line. What good is is a base line with out others to compare it to. Also how do you know that the one day you allowed it to be taken is actually the real base line. How do you know yesterday was not the real base line or tomorrow is.facepalm.gif

• Like 1

How much were they going to charge you?

well that certainly sounds like the proactive type of healthcare that keeps people alive.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

In the states you pay top dollar for second rate care.whistling.gif

In British Columbia every doctor I saw took my Blood pressure.

Also they were a heck of a lot cheaper than in California and Nevada.wai2.gif

I'm guessing it was only going to be a 100 baht nurses fee...

It does seem a pain at times. But...if the doctor is prescribing medication, BP and weight can be a significant factor in determining what particular medication to prescribe as well as what dosage is safe and effective. I don't think it's primary a 'fee' mechanism. There are valid reasons for doing it.

Edited by marell

It's all that exercise getting from one to the other that does it. biggrin.png

Where can one get a complete blood work up for 100 baht in Chiang Mai? Where is such a private laboratory?

Nowhere. The poster is way off base on costs for CBC and lipid profile. I believe said tests are about 1500 Baht or more.

I have been following this topic with interest. We have 3 private hospitals here in Phuket. Phuket International, Bangkok Phuket, and Mission Hospital. I prefer to use Phuket International. A vist to my specialist doctor costs a total of 400 baht, includes BP/weight/height. Flat charge, no extras - 400 baht. I consider this a bargain.. On the other hand I see my eye specialist at the Bangkok Phuket and they add so many things to the bill that the accountant desk don't even know when I ask for an explanation. They even charge 200 baht to get my records out of the filing system, every test extra, even the cleaning swabs extra. Just a routine visit for annual eye check costs me at least 2,000 baht (the eye specialist fee is 800 baht, so 1,200 baht in 'extras').

This is standard practice and is necessary. These are called vital signs T.P.R and B/P or temperature, pulse, respiration and blood pressure. These practices are standard nursing procedures learned in nursing school. The trouble here in Thailand is that the blood pressure cuffs are too small to get a true number. If there is a question about the number, ie 120/80 then the other arm should be used or not tested for at least 5 minutes. These readings are observations that the MD can refer to Dx problems. I have questioned the service here but all I got was a lot of giggling. You get what you pay for, if your lucky here in the LOS. A doctor here will cut your healthy leg off if you pay him to do it. In days past, in the USA, a good RN could get an accurate reading just looking at the dial. Now, most every place here and the USA use the machine. I don't think it replaces a good RN.

Edited by CIHUAHUA