new device, called Chromecast

Asiantravel

I was reading about this today and I wondered if anyone has seen something like this available for sale in Thailand?

The new device, called Chromecast, is a small stick roughly the same size as a USB flash-storage drive that can be plugged directly into an HDMI port on flat-panel TVs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2377231/Google-takes-aim-Apple-TV-new-device-brings-YouTube-Netflix-living-room-costs-just-22.html

Sounds awfully like an Android Stick to me, my guess is the differences will be in the software - at the price they're selling them there has to be a Google lock-in (ads, Play store, more ads etc).

Edit: Yep, just read some more - it does Youtube & Netflix (not available in TH) over Wi-Fi, has a web browser, and is all about getting more Google ads in front of eyeballs.

Seems to be a lot of hype around a feature set that most decent TV's have had built-in now for over 2 years? No mention of DLNA either, so I think I'll just stick to the built-in apps in my Panasonic and Samsung TV's smile.png

Edited by IMHO

Google and Amazon sold out in two hours. I have one on order from Amazon, presumably the children are breaking their backs in the chinese sweat shop where they make them.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

Sounds awfully like an Android Stick to me,

Is Android on a Stick easy to find in IT malls in Thailand - best places to buy/brands? I'm thinking next visit to get one with HDMI plug that will just go into the back of any TV with HDMI input? Surely these are generic out of China these days that stuff like XBMC could be side loaded onto?

Any recommendations or experiences?

We have a TOT Android box at home, that allows all the above, but is a bit bulkier than something on a stick?

Sounds awfully like an Android Stick to me,

Is Android on a Stick easy to find in IT malls in Thailand - best places to buy/brands? I'm thinking next visit to get one with HDMI plug that will just go into the back of any TV with HDMI input? Surely these are generic out of China these days that stuff like XBMC could be side loaded onto?

Any recommendations or experiences?

We have a TOT Android box at home, that allows all the above, but is a bit bulkier than something on a stick?

Was thinking along the lines of this:

http://www.lcdtvthailand.com/webboard/index.php?topic=39344.0

which is an Android MK808 mini TV. I guess the Air Remote comes as extra price as cannot see it in the box?

Chromecast isn't the same as these "Android on a stick" devices. It's specifically designed to stream to your TV from Chrome, Youtube, and as other vendors add, things like HBO (apparently).

And more importantly, as a mass market device, developers have already cracked it and are working on their own software.

biggrin.png

Chromecast isn't the same as these "Android on a stick" devices. It's specifically designed to stream to your TV from Chrome, Youtube, and as other vendors add, things like HBO (apparently).

And more importantly, as a mass market device, developers have already cracked it and are working on their own software.

biggrin.png

1. So if developers have already cracked it and working on own software, does the cracked version then become the same as Android on a stick?

2. Are legit Androids on a stick being used by anyone on this forum, purchase in Bangkok, recommendations please? I am looking at a trip to the malls soon to buy one. Not sure what model yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am seriously thinking about buying one of those from Hong Kong:

Quad Core 8GB Android 4.2 Smart TV BOX WIFI Media Player 1.8GHZ XBMC + Air Mouse

4150 bath is not bad

I didn't want to buy a smart tv for many reasons, my 50" HD Samsung plasma is a very good buy for 25K bath.

Checked many shops in Tuk.Com but no luck, most boxes comes with no Wi-Fi or they sell this stick type.

Edited by guzzi850m2

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

was just looking for something similar at fortune town and found a few different chinese knock-offs. quite pricey at 1500-2900 and not sure of the quality. the one for 1500 took a while to connect and then crashed during video mirroring. it came with a 1 year warranty though so we decided to do some more research and maybe go back and get it later..

has the chromecast been released in thailand? does anyone have any experience with knock-offs?

was just looking for something similar at fortune town and found a few different chinese knock-offs. quite pricey at 1500-2900 and not sure of the quality. the one for 1500 took a while to connect and then crashed during video mirroring. it came with a 1 year warranty though so we decided to do some more research and maybe go back and get it later..

has the chromecast been released in thailand? does anyone have any experience with knock-offs?

I doubt the devices you saw were 'Chromecast' knock-offs. Chromecast has limited practical appeal outside of those geographic areas where google licensing agreements in place to allow content hand-off.

More likely the devices were 'Android' sticks, a variation of an android OS phone. These devices use an HDMI port instead of a touchscreen and can be controlled by Infrared Remote, USB Wired or Wireless Mouse, Keyboard or Android App via WiFi interface. Android sticks can do similar things to a Chromecast stick, and well as give you access to the android Play Store.

Chromcast has a similar range of apps as both Apple TV & Roku boxes, but it does have a mirroring capability similar to Apple but it works with PC's as well. If you want any of these boxes/sticks to watch TV from your former home you need to purchase them in the geography you want since the firmware is different, then get it shipped to you. To answer the previous poster, to get around the licensing restrictions you simply need to use a geo masking service on your router.

By the way, Chromcast has been available in the US for over a year at least, nothing new. Maybe people are confusing it with the recently released Amazon stick, which joins a crowded market, doing as far as I can see exactly the same as all the previously mentioned streaming options

Edited by GinBoy2

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt the devices you saw were 'Chromecast' knock-offs. Chromecast has limited practical appeal outside of those geographic areas where google licensing agreements in place to allow content hand-off.

More likely the devices were 'Android' sticks, a variation of an android OS phone. These devices use an HDMI port instead of a touchscreen and can be controlled by Infrared Remote, USB Wired or Wireless Mouse, Keyboard or Android App via WiFi interface. Android sticks can do similar things to a Chromecast stick, and well as give you access to the android Play Store.

One of the models was a direct copy: design, graphics. The only difference was the packaging. There were others also, one I that I remember was a miracast copy.

I ended up getting a genuine one on eBay. It cost me just under $50 US (inc. shipping and tax), took under a week to arrive and works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app