Of Men and M I C E

jonwilly

So Thursday 25th lunch time mi 2009 Honda Jazz lets me down.

Starts up no probs, start to move off and the 'D' position light on auto gearbox dial starts Flashing.

Check drivers manual and it says AutoGearbox problem, drive slowly to dealer.

Find a thud, when it changes gear only used first & second.

At dealer park and turn off engine.

Guy comes over and I explain problem. Please start engine, Battery flat nothing.

Senior Guy called over I explain and he orders a mobile battery, cars starts no problem and then he spells M I C E.

Huh!

We walk to office and he says New battery and M I C E. What the muck says I ?

They have Pow Wow in office and then he says, mice.

Mickey Mouse says I, Yes Yes, Micky Mouse bit cable and he imitates biting his finger, the engine move and Flash total drain of battery which I know from my aviation days is fatel to battery.

We call when repaired and road test. At 5 that night car OK collect tomorrow.

I went down and he shows me Photo's on his Camera Phone of burned area on engine and missing burned off cable held by a stud and clip and what he called a Solenoid, but I think was a small transmitter of some kind.

He showed me on my car/engine location, underneath and behind the Air filter.

Mickey Mouse climb into warmth from engine and eat insulation.

He told me that I am not the first customer to have this trouble with Rodents which is why he knew from the start the cause of the problem.

john

Excellent service.

Many local keep their hoods open when parked overnight or long term. Apparently, it makes it less hospitable to rodents, cats, etc.

Doesn't this also make them more convenient for people looking for batteries and other under the hood auto parts?

Same thing happened to my washing machine.

Which is why many good quality washing machines have a rodent-proof base. (mine was not good quality)

Interesting thing was that the cables had their insulation eaten away, except for the purple cable (no idea what that was for). There's money there if someone follows this up.

I had a kitten sneak in to the engine compartment and park itself in the radiator fan.

Did that ever make a noise and a mess (and a smell!) when I started it up.

There wasn't much left by the time I opened it.