Samui: Indian pair face Thai drug smuggling charges

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. These guys are just trying to raise their financial circumstances, with a high risk level.

They would have been told they'd be taken care of. A lot gets through.

Nobody forces anybody else to smoke meth. Idiots want it. That's their business.

Its a taste. Its dangerous. Every body knows. Its prohibited. Everybody knows.

Because alcohol related offences in the USA comes in about 4 in 10 of all crimes and road fatalities, do we lock up the bartenders?

I certainly hope not.

They're just serving us the poison we choose to have.

There's always someone trying to tout the ridiculous idea, dismissed by the vast majority fortunately, that drugs are no worse or different than alcohol or tobacco... (Might as well include sugary soft drinks and computer games on the list while we're at it...maybe even coffee!) And of COURSE the mules are trying to improve their financial standing. That excuses nothing. The same can be said of the guy who shoots you dead on the street for your wallet. But it is true that the "idiots that want it", the users, bear much more responsibility for the drug trade than is generally assigned.

I don't know. These guys are just trying to raise their financial circumstances, with a high risk level.

Nobody forces anybody else to smoke meth. Idiots want it. That's their business.

Because alcohol related offences in the USA comes in about 4 in 10 of all crimes and road fatalities, do we lock up the bartenders?

I certainly hope not.

The first part of your post has some merit.

But then comparing shit drug with alcohol, get a grip.

Alcohol is certainly not a poison. Otherwise, one could argue that food is...

Alcohol is most certainly a poison, ever seen alcohol overdose? Alcohol addicts? Imho, alcohol is nothing else but a legal drug. To keep the masses quiet, you can almost add.

• Like 2

They have to be nuts bring that through singapore! If they had been bust there it would have been the death sentence for sure.

And so it should be here . I eagerly await the verdict . Will they buy themselves a lite sentence .

Hope they get 20 years !!!!!!!!!

Why little punishment.

They deserve life sentence or life penalty.

On the other hand if govt. wish to save money paid by local tax payers on foreign criminals, they can send them directly to heaven.

Question #1 in this kind of cases: Are they criminals or victims ?

You mean criminal cases? They are victims of their own criminal intentions. I've turned down a few dodgy proposals while in Bangkok. I was never that desperate. Were they (rhetorical)?

in the movie Brokedown Palace (1999), two young American tourists were unknowingly attempting to smuggle drugs and then reported to Thai police as a diversion from other mules. However, reports of their prior, less serious chicanery in a Bangkok hotel did not serve them well in their defense in the Thai court.

Edited by MaxYakov

Alcohol is most certainly a poison, ever seen alcohol overdose? Alcohol addicts? Imho, alcohol is nothing else but a legal drug. To keep the masses quiet, you can almost add.

A poison? Please. Toxic? Maybe. Anything, even pure water, and many legitimate medications, in large enough quantities, can be toxic. Alcohol is no exception. Neither are prescription medications. This whole argument is just a tired attempt to rationalize the use of illegal drugs. Sensible people see it for what it is, acknowledge everyone's right to free speech, and afford it the attention it deserves... They also recognize that drug use fuels global drug violence & crime. Go see them on visiting day if you want to, but concern for what befalls people, including these two Indian mules, involved in it isn't going to be real high on many people's list of priorities.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1

Question #1 in this kind of cases: Are they criminals or victims ?

Difficult to say without full details. But I would probably go towards 'victims'. I have interviewed several Vietnamese back in the UK who were involved in the drugs trade and I would have identified most of them as victims. In fact, I would draw a parallel between a Vietnamese guy running a cannabis farm in the UK with an Eastern European or Asian woman working in the sex trade in the UK.

A poison? Please. Toxic? Maybe. Anything, even pure water, and many legitimate medications, in large enough quantities, can be toxic. Alcohol is no exception. Neither are prescription medications. This whole argument is just a tired attempt to rationalize the use of illegal drugs. Sensible people see it for what it is, acknowledge everyone's right to free speech, and afford it the attention it deserves... They also recognize that drug use fuels global drug violence & crime. Go see them on visiting day if you want to, but concern for what befalls people, including these two Indian mules, involved in it isn't going to be real high on many people's list of priorities.

Alcohol (and tobacco) are certainly more harmful than most illegal drugs (heroin and meth perhaps being the exceptions). And there are several prescription drugs that are also more harmful (and cause more deaths annually) than many illegal dugs. Perhaps it is time to end these sweeping generalisations of 'illegal drugs' as well as the draconian laws that prohibit personal choice, and regulate some currently illegal substances. Far more benefits than dangers from such a course.

Horsefeathers.

OR perhaps it's time to start holding users more fully accountable for the global death & destruction they're a part of...

Edited by hawker9000

If it was your mother here, who was pretty cool and knew that you owed 20 grand in student loans, was approached somewhere, sometime and asked to take a couple of cases of precious gems or whatever, for 10 or 15 grand, thinking only how she can help you, her beloved son or daughter pay off his/her debt.

I think the comments may be a little different...

I am not condoning what was done or the damage that it would do....

I certainly hope not.

The first part of your post has some merit.

But then comparing shit drug with alcohol, get a grip.

Alcohol is certainly not a poison. Otherwise, one could argue that food is...

Well ... there is this little documentary nugget regarding a common form of food poisoning: Super Size Me (2004). How far off-topic are we now?

If it was your mother here, who was pretty cool and knew that you owed 20 grand in student loans, was approached somewhere, sometime and asked to take a couple of cases of precious gems or whatever, for 10 or 15 grand, thinking only how she can help you, her beloved son or daughter pay off his/her debt.

I think the comments may be a little different...

I am not condoning what was done or the damage that it would do....

I just plain wasn't raised by parents who would ever engage in something like that to be honest; not to help me or my siblings, or for any reason other than having a gun to their heads perhaps. I think instead about the mothers in Mexico and the world over whose sons and daughters have simply disappeared, or been gunned down, or beheaded, buried in mass graves (who knows in many cases...) by the big-time drug cartels and small-time drug bosses...

Deputy Finance Minister Benja Louichareon told a news briefing of the arrest of the two men--Virdi Hardev Singh, 51, and Puran Singh, 41.

Why is the Deputy Finance Minister telling the press about a drug arrest? I thought that was the job of the Undersecretary Twice Removed of the Inactive Post Department.

Chalerm had just taken his ear medication.

• Like 2

Deputy Finance Minister Benja Louichareon told a news briefing of the arrest of the two men--Virdi Hardev Singh, 51, and Puran Singh, 41.

Why is the Deputy Finance Minister telling the press about a drug arrest? I thought that was the job of the Undersecretary Twice Removed of the Inactive Post Department.

Chalerm had just taken his ear medication.

His ears should have fallen off by now...

Ice is popular among wealthy people in Thailand?? Since when is this cheap, easily made, synthetic drug popular with the wealthy? In most parts of the world it is for people with the least money since it is so easy to make. Cocaine is usually the rich man's kick.

I never understand why most countries won't let them get trough and then follow them to the point of delivery and catch the guys behind.

Because the guys behind this world trade are people of immense political, commercial and social influence.

I never understand why most countries won't let them get trough and then follow them to the point of delivery and catch the guys behind.

Because the guys behind this world trade are people of immense political, commercial and social influence.

There name's are????