Nice little scam

poooket

What nationality is this person?

What is the relevance of that question?
Actually Thaibob

I was looking for an answer. Not a question

Fair enough. Just trying to understand; if a Russian, English man, Frenchman or Korean, so what, who cares?.... is my view. Obviously it matters to you, so be it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cheat somebody to get a full english brekkie? i'll guess someone is making up stuff here, it probably happent at that 695 thb Irish gut-buster place, right? did someone ask you for a quid ? that's what a slice of toast and the works go for. not to my liking..... but scam people with a forgotten wallet? for a slice of toast? come up with better crap. spiders in a banana box , maybe?

cheat somebody to get a full english brekkie? i'll guess someone is making up stuff here, it probably happent at that 695 thb Irish gut-buster place, right? did someone ask you for a quid ? that's what a slice of toast and the works go for. not to my liking..... but scam people with a forgotten wallet? for a slice of toast? come up with better crap. spiders in a banana box , maybe?

Well, I had a banana box stored at a forgotten place at home, and when I discovered it the other day there were a lot of spiders............................Ok, never mind.

You would think that if he did that a few times the staff would ask if he had his wallet before taking his order, or one day no one will pick up his tab, that type of person is not good for business.

I think you are looking for a level of awareness that I have not witnessed in such restaurants.

Just because he says he forgot his wallet doesn't mean he actually has no money.

If he tries this often, sometimes he may strike out at getting a cash handout and then (eureka) pull some cash out of his pocket to pay.

You would think that if he did that a few times the staff would ask if he had his wallet before taking his order, or one day no one will pick up his tab, that type of person is not good for business.

I think you are looking for a level of awareness that I have not witnessed in such restaurants.

Just because he says he forgot his wallet doesn't mean he actually has no money.

If he tries this often, sometimes he may strike out at getting a cash handout and then (eureka) pull some cash out of his pocket to pay.

In the unlikely event some waiter asked if he had some money to pay for the meal he could easily show a wad of cash and still try to hit up other customers with his sad story later on.

Edited by Suradit69

Saw a down and out Thai guy in Food court cleaning any leftovers from any plate after the customer had left..Free Meal with No begging or trying to rip another person off....Nice Free meal at no ones expense...

• Like 1

In the unlikely event some waiter asked if he had some money to pay for the meal he could easily show a wad of cash and still try to hit up other customers with his sad story later on.

And you simply get old , calcification, MCD - whatever. That is life ! We can be happy to get old in dignity here.Would you prefer go back home and live out your old days at the mercy of the NHS?

Edited by JakeBKK

I was walking down Sukmumvit between Nana and Asoke about 10 years ago. A guy was sitting at a bar with a girl on each side of him. He leaned out and put his hand up to stop me, asking if I was British. He then told a tale of how he and his wife had been drinking, and his wife had gone back to the hotel inadvertantly taking his wallet in her handbag. He'd had a few more drinks and "bought" his delightful companions one or two as well. He asked if I would pay the bar bill and he would meet me following day to reimburse me. The two ladies were giggling and touching him throughout.

This was a middle aged very fat guy with a strong North East English accent. Apparently he was betting the girls he could scam money out of fellow Brits, get a free night on the piss and enjoy their services.

Although against my natually kind nature I declined to help him out of his predicament - but used much fewer words to communicate this.

The world is full of con artists like this who cash in on peoples' good will. They are simply parasites.

• Like 1

I was walking down Sukmumvit between Nana and Asoke about 10 years ago. A guy was sitting at a bar with a girl on each side of him. He leaned out and put his hand up to stop me, asking if I was British. He then told a tale of how he and his wife had been drinking, and his wife had gone back to the hotel inadvertantly taking his wallet in her handbag. He'd had a few more drinks and "bought" his delightful companions one or two as well. He asked if I would pay the bar bill and he would meet me following day to reimburse me. The two ladies were giggling and touching him throughout.

This was a middle aged very fat guy with a strong North East English accent. Apparently he was betting the girls he could scam money out of fellow Brits, get a free night on the piss and enjoy their services.

Although against my natually kind nature I declined to help him out of his predicament - but used much fewer words to communicate this.

The world is full of con artists like this who cash in on peoples' good will. They are simply parasites.

give me a beak here, honestly. if you are british and overweight, there is no bacon for you anyway. tea, no sugar marmite,maybe and off you go. so he did ask you to pay for him? and you did do that? man, your remember that truck stop - scam? i give the old flower lady, she is in her 80's ! a quid every time i see her. if you see your maid, over there, i'll buy him a brekkie if he can't afford one.even pretend.It's two quid. i do not care about two pounds.do you? we open the safe in the morning, take out. the money for the day - or do whatever we need to do and do it.So ,if somebody

cheated you for a breakfast ten years in the past, you ether have an issue with your learning curve or you better go home,

Edited by JakeBKK

everyone is scamming these days in one way or another. Even what seemed to be legitimate businesses are scamming surreptitiously. Have you ever bothered to count the number of products on supermarket shelves that shrink in size, year after year but are sold without any adjustment to price? In my book that is a scambah.gif

I must admit, I think I fall into this sort of category!

I stopped at a Mam and Pop shop and was 3 Baht short of the right money and only had a 1000 baht note which they couldn't change..

Fortunately for me, some German guy gave me 5 baht..

But I kept the 2 baht change!

Am I scum of the earth??

Some of the wealthiest and most respected people i know of are scammers.The more they scam the wealthier they become and everybody knows that the wealthier you are the more respect you gain. That's life in Thailand . wai2.gif

• Like 2

An excuse to slag off a particular Country,a old trick!

Oh dear...what a sceptical outlook you have on life

You couldn't be further from the truth

By the way ...you probably meant "AN" old trick

This type of behavior has no national boundaries nor is it limited to certain classes of any society, which is based only on my experience traveling the planet. I haven't seen anything like this in 20 years of visiting the LOS but will keep an eye open when I retire to Pattaya in August.

Thanks for the posting. Information of any sort is appreciated.

For some reason I just don't believe this story.

There is NO WAY that this restaurant would allow this if it happened more then once.

I thinks somebody is bored.

I'm with you

If the staff actually said " this old man always forgot his wallet" I don't think there is a chance in hell that they would keep serving him.

Nice troll though.

Why not they always seem to get paid.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sadly, I have to agree with that.

Beach road, Pattaya, this sounds completely plausible. Don't think it's a troll.

Saw a down and out Thai guy in Food court cleaning any leftovers from any plate after the customer had left..Free Meal with No begging or trying to rip another person off....Nice Free meal at no ones expense...

Actually saw a farang guy doing this in Big C food court too, the staff said he'd frequent the sampling booths upstairs too and come the day his pensions gets deposited he'd buy booze.

So there are people that genuinely live in hardship around Pattaya, next time you hear a sob story, don't be too quick to dismiss it as scam though.

An excuse to slag off a particular Country,a old trick!

Oh dear...what a sceptical outlook you have on life

You couldn't be further from the truth

By the way ...you probably meant "AN" old trick

"you couldn't be further from the truth"

which brings us back to my original question and you can enlighten the multitudes about the "truth", otherwise MAJIC's comment may just be the "truth".

Wonder what I would do if I was hungry and had no cash? Shoplifting would probably get me in trouble. Begging may be the best option.

Lucky me, I wake up each day with enough to pay the bills.

Pensioners that landed here years ago have seen inflation, increased farang pricing and their currency get crushed.

Could be the guy is poor and needs to scrounge a decent meal now and then.

It's all quite simple and straight forward....if we know the nationality of this particular "scammer" ..and then come across someone from a different country pulling the same stunt, then we can be aware that others of a similar persuasion are jumping on the band wagon...

Maybe some people shouldn't be so neurotic about their own country...all nations have black sheep

By the way Majic I am English ...and am fully aware that there are flocks of black sheep in Britain as with anywhere else in the world

Make your comments if you wish...but I am done with this subject.

If you have no money and are desperate then I would expect that you would scrounge outside a restaurant rather than order a meal and then claim a forgotten wallet. I might give in the first instance but not in the latter.

And you simply get old , calcification, MCD - whatever. That is life ! We can be happy to get old in dignity here.Would you prefer go back home and live out your old days at the mercy of the NHS?

Could be worse if you stay in Thailand.

No No No.......

That would be far too simple I'm afraid...