'Al-Qaeda' Video Threatening Thaksin's Life Dismissed As Fake

Lite Beer

post-36914-0-30920000-1374972258_thumb.j

BANGKOK: -- Top intelligence official said the video of 3 men claiming to be Al-Qaeda operatives and placing bounty on former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is definitely fake.

In a video posted to Youtube website, 3 individuals clad in Arabic-looking costumes identified themselves as members of the Salafi network at an unknown location.

One of them was holding portrait of Mr. Thaksin, while the man in the middle read out a statement in English detailing their intention to avenge deaths of Muslims in the 3 border provinces of Southern Thailand who were allegedly killed by Thaksin′s heavy-handed policy to quell the separatist insurgency there in 2004.

Although the region, an independent kingdom called Pattani before it was incorporated into modern Siam, was long known for separatist insurgencies, the latest wave of violence flared in 2004 when Mr. Thaksin was the Prime Minister of Thailand.

The self-proclaimed militant denounced policies toward the Southern region conducted by the government of Mr. Thaksin′s sister, Ms. Yingluck Shinawatra. He warned that Mr. Thaksin′s time is over, and that Al-Qaeda′s "Dead Squads" would always hunt him.

"We will try to assassinate you at any time and any place. You will no longer be safe in any corner of this world," the man promised.

The video was posted on 26 July - Mr. Thaksin′s birthdat. It was circulated widely by anti-government social network users for a while, but it is now set as "private" and not accessible to general public.

Lt.Gen. Paradorn Pattanatabutr, secretary-general of the National Security Council, told Khaosod that the "amateurish" video is clearly not a work of Al-Qaeda or any other Islamist organization.

"The people who made this clip are no other than the same group who want to overthrow Mr. Thaksin," Lt.Gen. Paradorn declared.

The secretary-general added that the ongoing insurgency in the Southern border provinces is also not connected to Al-Qaeda or Mr. Thaksin. In fact, he said, it concerns the Thai authorities and local separatists.

Asked if the Thai government would have to clarify details about the videoclip with Malaysian government - who is mediating a ceasefire between the Thai security forces and the insurgents - Lt.Gen. Paradorn said the Malaysian government is well aware that the troubles in Southern Thailand are not related to Al-Qaeda.

"They are also aware that right now there is anti-democracy movement campaigning against the government," Lt.Gen. Paradorn said tartly.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM05EazBNalUyTkE9PQ==&subcatid=

--KHAOSOD ONLINE 2013-07-28

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dismissing this as fake is a no panic , we are in control , trust us , message , it really is a non event ,because whether it's Al - Qaeda or someone else, it probably will happen at some stage, so they better realise this sooner than later, as not being a fake.bah.gif

• Like 1

I watched most of the video last night before it was taken down, and what I saw was in Arabic. It appears that they also used English as well. But no Thai??

I wonder if there are any native Arabic speakers that could shed some light on the dialect or region where this might have been made. Could it have been an older video with some dubbing to change the wording?

• Like 1

I watched most of the video last night before it was taken down, and what I saw was in Arabic. It appears that they also used English as well. But no Thai??

I wonder if there are any native Arabic speakers that could shed some light on the dialect or region where this might have been made. Could it have been an older video with some dubbing to change the wording?

It didn't look like an old video, and if it was, how old?

The dubbing would have worked fine while they had the scarves over their faces, but not so well when the scarves were removed.

I don't think the video is available anymore.

It didn't look like an old video, and if it was, how old?

The dubbing would have worked fine while they had the scarves over their faces, but not so well when the scarves were removed.

I don't think the video is available anymore.

Still up(2 times) as of 9am.

Interesting that during the English language part of the video, the speaker removes his veil so his face can clearly be seen. Do I hear a slight Philipines accent from this clearly Arabic man? I'm no expert but it does not appear to be a hoax or a joke.The fact they are reposting it faster than youtube can remove it shows they are serious.

Past threaths , there have been a few, orginated from, and were leaked to the public from the Shin secret service,. Ask 'Oak', daddy or any of the hired help, where this earth shattering plot was dreamed up?

Maybe the birthday bash did not turn out the number wanted, so this ploy for another group of the bleeding heart club is thrown out.

It does meet the past timing of another trip abroad by the PM.

Fake or not, makes no difference. The death warrant will be filtered through the world. Al-Qaeda are groups with an agenda, there is no large organization in control, but if one small organization put a person on the international hit list, Dubai might not be a safe place to live. coffee1.gif

• Like 1