Staying left for bikes (again)

robblok

The law is to keep left, unless you are overtaking, or road is obstructed, or you intend to make a U-turn,

or you intend to make a right turn.

This goes for all trafficants.

ed: it also goes for all countries

Edited by poanoi

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Section 35

'The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, MOTORCYCLE, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction should keep to the kerbside of the roadway or as close as possible.

...'

This term passenger vehicle is a bit confusing to me. I am not a native english speaker. Can it be that this isnt the correct translation? Or what exactly does it mean? Does it mean "(any) car" or does it mean something like "pickup taxi, tuktuk, bus, ..."?

I guess the translation isn't precise.

Its the wrong part of that text that is highlighted,

read like this instead:

The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction should keep to the kerbside of the roadway or as close as possible.

• Like 1

This is "Section 35" ( http://www.thailawonline.com/th/thai-laws/laws-of-thailand/159-land-traffic-act-be-2522-1979.html ):

มาตรา ๓๕ รถ ที่มีความเร็วช้าหรือรถที่มีความเร็วต่ำกว่าความเร็วของรถคันอื่นที่ขับใน ทิศทางเดียวกัน ผู้ขับขี่ต้องขับรถให้ใกล้ขอบทางเดินรถด้านซ้ายเท่าที่จะกระทำได้
ผู้ ขับขี่รถบรรทุก รถบรรทุกคนโดยสาร รถจักรยานยนต์ในทางเดินรถซึ่งได้แบ่งช่องเดินรถในทิศทางเดียวกันไว้ ตั้งแต่สองช่องขึ้นไปหรือได้จัดช่องเดินรถประจำทางด้านซ้ายไว้โดยเฉพาะ ต้องขับรถในช่องเดินรถด้านซ้ายสุดหรือใกล้เคียงกับช่องเดินรถประจำทางแล้ว แต่กรณี
ความ ในวรรคสองมิให้ใช้บังคับแก่รถยนต์บรรทุกส่วนบุคคลที่มีน้ำหนักไม่เกินหนึ่ง พันหกร้อยกิโลกรัม และรถยนต์นั่งส่วนบุคคลเกินเจ็ดคน ตามกฎหมายว่าด้วยรถยนต์

According to dictionary รถบรรทุกคนโดยสาร seems to be something like "truck for public transport".

รถบรรทุก = truck
คนโดยสาร = passenger

Like this section 35 makes sense to me. And imo now its pretty clear that section 35 is a law saying that motorcycles doesnt have the same rights to use the right lanes as cars have.

I dont like this either. And of course policemen could be more forgiving to big bikes. But in thai law motorcycle is motorcycle. All same same smile.png

• Like 2

read like this instead:

The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction should keep to the kerbside of the roadway or as close as possible.

I really would like "to read it like this" :)

But its a listing and all items in the list are included :(

This is "Section 35" ( http://www.thailawonline.com/th/thai-laws/laws-of-thailand/159-land-traffic-act-be-2522-1979.html ):

มาตรา ๓๕ รถ ที่มีความเร็วช้าหรือรถที่มีความเร็วต่ำกว่าความเร็วของรถคันอื่นที่ขับใน ทิศทางเดียวกัน ผู้ขับขี่ต้องขับรถให้ใกล้ขอบทางเดินรถด้านซ้ายเท่าที่จะกระทำได้

ผู้ ขับขี่รถบรรทุก รถบรรทุกคนโดยสาร รถจักรยานยนต์ในทางเดินรถซึ่งได้แบ่งช่องเดินรถในทิศทางเดียวกันไว้ ตั้งแต่สองช่องขึ้นไปหรือได้จัดช่องเดินรถประจำทางด้านซ้ายไว้โดยเฉพาะ ต้องขับรถในช่องเดินรถด้านซ้ายสุดหรือใกล้เคียงกับช่องเดินรถประจำทางแล้ว แต่กรณี

ความ ในวรรคสองมิให้ใช้บังคับแก่รถยนต์บรรทุกส่วนบุคคลที่มีน้ำหนักไม่เกินหนึ่ง พันหกร้อยกิโลกรัม และรถยนต์นั่งส่วนบุคคลเกินเจ็ดคน ตามกฎหมายว่าด้วยรถยนต์

According to dictionary รถบรรทุกคนโดยสาร seems to be something like "truck for public transport".

รถบรรทุก = truck

คนโดยสาร = passenger

Like this section 35 makes sense to me. And imo now its pretty clear that section 35 is a law saying that motorcycles doesnt have the same rights to use the right lanes as cars have.

I dont like this either. And of course policemen could be more forgiving to big bikes. But in thai law motorcycle is motorcycle. All same same smile.png

I came to the same conclusion that this part of the law indeed limits motorcycles. It perfectly normal way to do things first state the general law in 34 and then ad some stuff in 35 for other classes of vehicles.

I don't like this law anymore then the next guy and I will keep on driving in a lane that i think is safe and good but I will accept the consequences of it.

I find it strange that the big bike manufacturers haven't tried to get this changed.. then again you almost never see anything change that would damage the income-stream of the cops.

• Like 1

read like this instead:

I really would like "to read it like this" smile.png

But its a listing and all items in the list are included sad.png

That is how I read it too but have an argument with friends about too how to read it. In my mind its a listing.

So for you folks that are getting nailed with this....Bangkok?

How does it work? Are the cops setup near that left lane & flag you over?

I guess we are lucky here in CM as there are not many multi lane spots

& the few that are all are flying/high speed sections with nowhere for them to setup even if they wanted too.

As the middle is just a concrete wall

Edited by mania

So for you folks that are getting nailed with this....Bangkok?

How does it work? Are the cops setup near that left lane & flag you over?

I guess we are lucky here in CM as there are not many multi lane spots

& the few that are all are flying/high speed sections with nowhere for them to setup even if they wanted too.

As the middle is just a concrete wall

They just wait somewhere usually where it is busy so you have to slow down a bit put pilons on the road and either try to walk to you (the suicidal ones) or try to flag you down. I would consider going past 1 cop but often this is a group of cops not doing anything else as pulling bikes. I think its a stupid and dangerous law, and choose to break it. However the point is are they justified or not. I don't like the cops much more as other people but if they are justified then its not a real scam but more a legal scam.

• Like 2

They just wait somewhere usually where it is busy so you have to slow down a bit put pilons on the road and either try to walk to you (the suicidal ones) or try to flag you down. I would consider going past 1 cop but often this is a group of cops not doing anything else as pulling bikes. I think its a stupid and dangerous law, and choose to break it. However the point is are they justified or not. I don't like the cops much more as other people but if they are justified then its not a real scam but more a legal scam.

That does sound like they are creating a much bigger hazard than

a bike in the lane.

Because if you stop now your stopped right in the fast lane?

Or is there a center section to pull over into?

In any case yes does sound like a stupid/dangerous stunt.

• Like 2

a bike in the lane.

Its dangerous and stupid, the things I have seen them do. But sometimes they just slow all traffic down and then its a bit safer to stop. Anyway its bad because the most left lane is actually real dangerous its where buses and taxis and vans and just about everyone pulls over to stop. So I hate it but if it is the law even if it is a stupid moneymaking law (what i think it is) They still got the right to stop me till the Thais themselves get this law changed.

Thing is they can pull bikes if they go to slow in the traffic already but not all bikes go slow most just go with the flow of traffic or faster and are absolutely not holding up traffic.

I guess this law was made under pressure of the growing automobile industry in the 70s. The law is more than 30 years old.

This law makes sense if you see it from the car drivers point of view. And thats the only thing thats important nowadays. So they will not change it.

I ask myself, when do they ban bicycles from public roads? smile.png

Try living in Pattaya, I get stopped at least once a week on average. The Brown Shirt monkeys see a falang on a big bike and they will go out of their way to pull you up. I always love watching their smiles turn to frowns when I hand over my Thai licence and a copy of my green book (no Tea money from me). I have had to start carrying a photo copy of my green book so they stop trying to impound my bike. I am always polite and smile a lot when they pull me over, but some of their tactics are laughable. I have been told that I was going to get a ticket because my helmet strap was too loose, exhaust was too loud, mirrors to small, need to carry my real green book with me.....ect. I always tell them to issue the ticket and I will go to the station and pay it, that usually stops them in their tracks. The problem in Pattaya is there are too many tourists that will hand over cash when the cops stop them, that they expect it. I absolutely detest the police and their volunteers here in this city, have to be some of the most corrupt in Thailand.

Because I like facts, i got a someone who speaks real good English and Thai to translate law nr 35 and now I see his translation it is clear that the police is not scamming. It was as I thought a bad translation error.

Rule nr 35 says:

Vehicles travelling slowly or vehicles travelling at a slower speed than other vehicles travelling in the same direction are to stay as close to the left-hand curb as possible.

Drivers of commercial vehicles, passenger vehicles and motorcycles must ensure that they are always travelling closest to the left-hand curb on roadways which have been divided into at least two lanes travelling in the same direction or on roadways which have a designated lane for travelling on the left.

Exempt from the second paragraph are personal commercial vehicles weighing no more than 1600 Kilograms and personal passenger vehicles permitted to carry more than 7 passengers, as per the legal definitions of motor vehicles.

Now like I said that just means I will pay the fine because I wont put myself in danger. But they are just following the law be it an bad and outdated law. But you cant say they are scamming.
Edited by robblok

I must add to my previous post that reading this they are not enforcing it well.. They should also then make sure passenger vans and those tour buses stay on the left. I do believe that they do this because motorcycles are an easy target. But it is still not a scam.

I must add to my previous post that reading this they are not enforcing it well.. They should also then make sure passenger vans and those tour buses stay on the left. I do believe that they do this because motorcycles are an easy target. But it is still not a scam.

On the long drives from Chiangmai as your going from Lamphun to Lampang etc...

That fast two lane section it does in fact seems as though most only use the right lane to pass

then drop back into the left.

Vans,cars etc.

But I was once told it is because the traffic cams out there nail only the right lane for speeding.

I once got photoed out there so it could be true?

a bike in the lane.

They stop you regardless of which lane. left lane, middle or fast lane (in case of foreigner)

According to the mafia police, motorcycles can never be on middle or third lane. ONLY on the left most.

even if you are temporarily on the middle or right lane overtaking a slow car, they will stop you.

I was on third lane at maybe 90Km/h, and out of nothing they jumped out on the road and make me stop,

I had to brake really really hard to not hit the police in brown uniform.

so, it is dangerous and very very wrong...

Edited by brfsa2

[i was on third lane at maybe 90Km/h, and out of nothing they jumped out on the road and make me stop,

I had to brake really really hard to not hit the police in brown uniform.

Do what I do. Just ride around them. They won't chase you if you're on a big bike. Though they may try to take a swing at you. 5555!

Rule nr 35 says:

Vehicles travelling slowly or vehicles travelling at a slower speed than other vehicles travelling in the same direction are to stay as close to the left-hand curb as possible.

Well I can tell you, I hardly ever travel slowly or slower than other cars, so according to this law I am allowed to be in the second or third lane?

The keep left rule is always present, if you are not overtaking or have obstructed road ahead,

or intend to turn right, -keep left.

This apply to all vehicles, and who isnt fed up with cars staying in the right lane at speed lower than speed limit ?

Rule nr 35 says:

Well I can tell you, I hardly ever travel slowly or slower than other cars, so according to this law I am allowed to be in the second or third lane?

Just read the rest they single out MC and tell them always to stay to the curb side.. I had rule nr 35 translated by someone who is fluid in Thai and English and I am now convinced its not a scam but we must stay there according to the law.

However I choose to break this law but wont complain when im caught as its legal although its just a moneymaker for them.

• 5 months later...

The keep left rule is always present, if you are not overtaking or have obstructed road ahead,

or intend to turn right, -keep left.

This apply to all vehicles, and who isnt fed up with cars staying in the right lane at speed lower than speed limit ?

This just came out today:

Phuket Traffic: When left is right

"I saw a truck driving slowly in the right-hand lane on the bypass road, forcing traffic to build up behind it as it couldn’t go fast enough. In other parts of Thailand I almost never see trucks in the right-hand lane.

I heard that they are not allowed to use the right lane. Is that true?

Lotus, Phuket.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 1:59:08 PM

“Trucks are allowed to use the right-hand lane only under certain circumstances – to pass other vehicles or to avoid obstructions in the left lane. If they are not doing these things, by law they should be in the left lane.

This rule applies to all vehicles. The right-hand lane should be used only for passing or if the left lane is in some way obstructed.

Of course, there are exceptions. they may use the right lane if they are making a right turn, for example.

But the fine for using the right lane outside of these circumstances is 200 to 1,000 baht."

Saturday, January 25, 2014 1:59:08 PM

Lt Col Rungrit Rattanapagdee, Inspector, Phuket City Traffic Police.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1479

Most of the time the morons are on the street left side to stop bikes, even with one or two of them between the first and second lane, if I'm already on the left lane (unlikely) they have nothing to say, but if not I go on the extreme right or between the second and third lane if too much cars and twist the throttle a bit, they don't have time to realize or do anything. As someone said this is no police, it's a bunch of thieves so <deleted> them

• Like 1

^

> "Morons, thieves, <removed> them..."

Hope you feel better now.

But isn't it true?

It seems that now a days there much less extortion from police than let's say 6 months ago.

Sometimes I do see some legitimate police stops, most likely looking for drunk drivers or helmet less riders.

They haven't bothered me even I'm on the Right most lane.

I haven't been robbed by them since months, except one time I got a real 400B ticket for riding on the elevated bridge in Ramkhamhaeng.

edit: typo

Edited by brfsa2

It is true. I had this just before new year. I took a uturn and then kept going., then i saw them, they ofcourse stopped me. So I asked what is it. He said left lane. I explained when there s slow traffic can go right, he agreed and then nothing he was a bit hesitant. Then I kept going, i did u turn, there s alot of traffic, how can i go left so fast, see how many cars are there. he only kept saying, "correct,correct". So I look at him and want to say, if I am correct why u start writing the fine haha. Anyway... I paid 100 at the police office (not me) but still, wasnt fair.

• 3 months later...

what's the going rate in Bangkok now-a-days. I was stopped and opted for a cited ticket, going to see if there is any "logic" at the station.

Story:

I was at the left lane then a car drove out of a street, I couldn't brake in time so I changed lanes to avoid being hit. Just up ahead, the cops saw me and stopped me. I told them of the story and they laughed. They said it is illegal to drive on the middle and outer lanes.

so.. what's the going rate?

what's the going rate in Bangkok now-a-days. I was stopped and opted for a cited ticket, going to see if there is any "logic" at the station.

Story:

I was at the left lane then a car drove out of a street, I couldn't brake in time so I changed lanes to avoid being hit. Just up ahead, the cops saw me and stopped me. I told them of the story and they laughed. They said it is illegal to drive on the middle and outer lanes.

so.. what's the going rate?

100 THB.