Healthy bread in Pattaya -- does it even exist?

Jingthing

Try the German baker on top of Soi Khao Noi (darkside) just before the left turn toward Soi Khao Talo.

The Rüggenmischung bread is fantastic. Keep it in the freezer and take out and toast each slice and you have the nice crust and good taste.

I think you need to be a bit more specific in your instructions. If there's a German baker where you say it is, then it's very well hidden. I've just been to look. The only baker is Rick's - British - who I think supplies the buns to Ozburger.

If you're referring to the German place at the Khao Talo intersection next to the 7/11 and across from the school, then that one closed down a year ago.

There is a German bakery there. At least there is a shop that has a big sign up outside saying German bakery. However the only time I go that way is on Sunday for lunch and it is always closed then. Maybe it is closed all the time but it doesnt look like it.

BTW You can buy brown rice in BIg C Extra or Tops already cooked if you dont want to cook yourself.

I dont think that reddish-coloured rice they sell ready-cooked in Tops in Central is actually brown (whole) rice. The texture is similar to regular white rice and I think it is some sort of local rice variety that has also been processed as white rice is. Real brown rice has a much firmer and chewy texture, even when well cooked.

It's nice enough though, and I often get some in the packed meals they sell half price in the evening.

But maybe you are talking about some other rice that I havent seen there?

Make your own, it's very easy. I have made this recipe for years in Pattaya, after I bake I give out

some and put the rest in the freezer. It keeps for months. When I want a piece, I just place it in

the microwave.:

• 1/2 cup ground flax seed

Where does that come from? Grind your own or buy a 1 lb bag in Villa for B295?

If you look up nutrition tables on the internet there is not sufficient difference between whole wheat bread and ordinary white bread to bother discriminating between them.

Some of the worst white bread I have ever tasted was in USA. I can believe there is no nutrition in USA white bread and probably no wheat either. USA common white bread is probably made from recycled building materials.

Nutrition tables!!!

Why do you need these? All you need know is that the wheat flour in bread is a simple carbohydrate that turns to sugar in your gut spiking your blood sugar glucose levels causing your body to store fat and is responsible for the massive upsurge of type 2 diabetes and obesity causing liver, kidney, nerve and heart problems. Refined foods are worse as they contains appreciable levels of HFCS (high fructose corn syrup).

There is little to no nutrition in bread anyway which is why I don't eat it any more.

Excellent post.

As you correctly point out, the problem is the wheat flour, sugar and other over processed ingredients.

If one cannot give up their bread habit, it's best to substitute gluten-free, sugar-free bread, such as that

made from brown or black rice flour or buckwheat flour. (Note: buckwheat is not wheat).

It is a shame that not enough people realise the complexities of food and what it does to the body.

I used to eat bag after bag of Lay crisps and tons of M&M's until my doctor told me I had NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease), highish blood pressure, high cholesterol, inflammation, elevated blood liver enzymes, pre-diabetic blood sugar levels and a few other things .

I was waiting for him to say to me here is your goody bag of multi-coloured and different sized pills (as they do) but to my surprise he said "you know what is wrong with you now go on the internet and cure yourself"!!!

To cut a long story short, this is precisely what I did and I have NONE of these things now and feel twenty years younger rather than 20 years younger through eating healthily and doing (some) exercise. I am quite an expert on health and diet issues and almost certainly know more than dieticians and definitely more than doctors in this respect!!

Very amusing posts on this thread.

Eating unhealthy is a lot like smoking -- if you really want to do it you will find a justification in your own mind. Anyway who's going to stop you?

Some folks learn to enjoy and get satisfaction from eating healthy and avoiding cigarettes, whiskey and other stinky things.

On the other hand, I see a lot of folks who enjoy their whiskey, cigarettes and coagulated blood sandwiches.

Who am I to judge? It is their freedom to live life as they please as long as they don't harm others.

For me, I love eating healthy, but... your mileage may vary...sick.gif

• Like 1

Very amusing posts on this thread.

Eating unhealthy is a lot like smoking -- if you really want to do it you will find a justification in your own mind. Anyway who's going to stop you?

Some folks learn to enjoy and get satisfaction from eating healthy and avoiding cigarettes, whiskey and other stinky things.

On the other hand, I see a lot of folks who enjoy their whiskey, cigarettes and coagulated blood sandwiches.

Who am I to judge? It is their freedom to live life as they please as long as they don't harm others.

For me, I love eating healthy, but... your mileage may vary...sick.gif

I am definitely in the same boat as you on this aspect, whilst the others are happy to be slowly drowning!!

• Like 1

BradInAsia,

where can you buy that gluten-free bread? or do you make it yourself.

I live in Chiang Mai. I buy the gluten-free, brown rice bread from Blue Diamond Restaurant

in the old city. If you're not familiar with this place, just go to Moon-Maung Soi 9 and ask for

directions to Blue Diamond. Everyone there will know this place.

BradInAsia,

where can you buy that gluten-free bread? or do you make it yourself.

I live in Chiang Mai. I buy the gluten-free, brown rice bread from Blue Diamond Restaurant

in the old city. If you're not familiar with this place, just go to Moon-Maung Soi 9 and ask for

Oh, too bad this place wasn’t in Pattaya but thanks for letting me know. I was recently diagnosed celiac disease and can no more eat wheat, rye, barley or oat. I’m just learning my way among different other grains. Luckily I’ve found an Australian brand here in Foodland with gluten-free flour mixes for bread and also pizza crust, just can’t live without J Maybe later on I will try learn how to make the bread myself, there seems to be good selection of all kinds of flours in the city.

Higher health insurance rates/taxes harm my wallet. Higher prices of goods to cover costs for motorized shopping carts for the obese, same. Then there's the issue of seating space harm on the planes--in the cheaper seats I can afford. I judge!

Except for State regulation, policies could be tailored appropriately: overweight and obese and motorbike helmet-free should pay a lot more, for example. I do enjoy good whiskey and a fine cigar now and then and it's certainly fair for me to assume the penalties for those wonderful indulgences. Nowadays some things, such as smoking, are taken into account by private insurers. But in the nanny states, the tax rates are the same, I believe.

Edited by JSixpack

Yes you can get it there, then just put them in a coffee grinder

Make your own, it's very easy. I have made this recipe for years in Pattaya, after I bake I give out

some and put the rest in the freezer. It keeps for months. When I want a piece, I just place it in

the microwave.:

• 1/2 cup ground flax seed

Where does that come from? Grind your own or buy a 1 lb bag in Villa for B295?

Copyright text.... :rolleyes:

I was looking for bread that i can eat on atkins low carb diet, and there it was ...Flaxseed flour bread.made in the microwave in 2 minutes.

so i went out and bought a pack of flaxseed and pack of baking powder from friendship supermarket pattaya.and rushed home to try it.

I put it thru my coffee grinder and made some flour from the flaxseed then added 4 tablespoons into bowl then half a tea spoon of baking powder,pinch of salt,1 egg,and either 2 tablespoons of water instead i used a tablespoon of melted butter.mix it all into a paste and put in microwave for 2 minute and wow.....amazing brown bread so soft and delicious 4 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fiber so = no carbs,i made a chicken and salad sandwich then tested my blood.... sugars went from 5.5 to 6.0 one hour after eating.

you can make this into so many things sandwiches,cakes,flavoured bread,pizza base......great for diabetics and weight watchers.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by jonas1234
  • Like 2

Copyright text.... rolleyes.gif I was looking for bread that i can eat on atkins low carb diet, and there it was ...Flaxseed flour bread.made in the microwave in 2 minutes. so i went out and bought a pack of flaxseed and pack of baking powder from friendship supermarket pattaya.and rushed home to try it. I put it thru my coffee grinder and made some flour from the flaxseed then added 4 tablespoons into bowl then half a tea spoon of baking powder,pinch of salt,1 egg,and either 2 tablespoons of water instead i used a tablespoon of melted butter.mix it all into a paste and put in microwave for 2 minute and wow.....amazing brown bread so soft and delicious 4 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fiber so = no carbs,i made a chicken and salad sandwich then tested my blood.... sugars went from 5.5 to 6.0 one hour after eating. you can make this into so many things sandwiches,cakes,flavoured bread,pizza base......great for diabetics and weight watchers. Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Seems like a sensible choice!!

I am a little confused by your 4 grams carb + 4 grams fiber = 0 carb. Unless you are factoring in that the fiber (as good as) cancels out the carb that is, which is a fair enough assumption I suppose.

Luckily I’ve found an Australian brand here in Foodland with gluten-free flour mixes for bread and also pizza crust, just can’t live without J Maybe later on I will try learn how to make the bread myself, there seems to be good selection of all kinds of flours in the city.

Are you talking about Hahne or another brand like Orgran?

I've seen some gluten-free products around in some specialty shops, and Carrefour used to carry some mixes. Not sure if the new versions of Big C still do?

Orgran has a variety of products, including self-rising, gluten free flour mixes...

I've tried some of their pre-made bread machine mixes in the past, but the taste was pretty bland.

I preferred starting with my own bread machine and brown rice flour purchased from Villa.

I sure wish someone around BKK would sell, or have available for delivery, loaves of brown rice flour bread without any of the gluten ingredients mixed in.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Luckily I’ve found an Australian brand here in Foodland with gluten-free flour mixes for bread and also pizza crust, just can’t live without J Maybe later on I will try learn how to make the bread myself, there seems to be good selection of all kinds of flours in the city.

Are you talking about Hahne or another brand like Orgran?

I've seen some gluten-free products around in some specialty shops, and Carrefour used to carry some mixes. Not sure if the new versions of Big C still do?

Orgran has a variety of products, including self-rising, gluten free flour mixes...

I've tried some of their pre-made bread machine mixes in the past, but the taste was pretty bland.

I preferred starting with my own bread machine and brown rice flour purchased from Villa.

I sure wish someone around BKK would sell, or have available for delivery, loaves of brown rice flour bread without any of the gluten ingredients mixed in.

Yes, I am am referring to Orgran brand. Foodland Pattya has quite ok selection of it (baking mixes for cakes, pizza, bread, pancakes and some flours). Foodland is lacking pastas but by googling I found a store in Bangkok (Maison du Vins 1994), they have larger selection of Orgran stuff incl. pasta varieties and they deliver to your home by EMS. Other “sighthings” I have made in Pattaya: Big C Extra only have one gluten-free product, Basco breadmix, Central Festival grocery store has muesli, cereals and porridge from Freedom Foods and Eco-Planet, Villa has a lot of flours.

I agree, the readymade flour-mix breads taste bland but the moment I’m very happy to have found any! Even better were to find a bakery making gluten-free but tasty bread..

Yes, I am am referring to Orgran brand. Foodland Pattya has quite ok selection of it (baking mixes for cakes, pizza, bread, pancakes and some flours).

Foodland is lacking pastas but by googling I found a store in Bangkok (Maison du Vins 1994), they have larger selection of Orgran stuff incl. pasta varieties and they deliver to your home by EMS.

Other “sighthings” I have made in Pattaya: Big C Extra only have one gluten-free product, Basco breadmix,

Central Festival grocery store has muesli, cereals and porridge from Freedom Foods and Eco-Planet,

Villa has a lot of flours.

That's a pretty good summary of things, and pretty well matches what I've found over time in Bangkok.

The Sense of World Taste shop you refer to above by another name, Maison du Vins, is a really great resource, and very close to the Asoke BTS station.

Sense of World Taste

image.jpg

The pale red building with green canopies of this half wine cellar, half grocery market evokes a scene of small European delicatessen. For those with food allergies, this is where to pick up gluten-free pastas and cooking/baking flours. Other imported items include cold cuts and wines from Spain as well as a selection of Belgian beers. The collection here may be limited but is well-chosen. Home deliveries can be arranged.

Opening Hours: 9:00-19:00 (Mon-Fri), 10:00-18:00 (Sat)

MRT: Sukhumvit

BTS: Asok, Nana

Tel: +66 (0)2 651 2040, +66 (0)2 651 2340

map-icon-show.png
The Villa Markets around BKK also have been carrying various cereal and other products from Freedom Foods, which is another gluten-free vendor.
The main Villa branch at Suk Soi 33 also has regularly stocked brown rice flour packages in the past, though not all of the other Villas have stocked them.
Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Don't know if Au Bon Pain was mentioned in this thread and don't feel like going through six pages of posts to check.

I was at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya this morning and while waiting for lab work, I had a bagel at Au Bon Pain in the lobby and on the counter they had packages containing 5 or 6 pieces of sliced multigrain bread for sale.

According to their website they seem to understand about nutrition at the corporate level anyway.

Trans Fats are type of unsaturated fat artificially hydrogenated into saturated fat, conveniently extending its shelf-life and preventing a musty odor. Trans Fats are widely used in the food and bakery industries because of the longer shelf-life as well as lower prices.

Contrary to the common assumption that saturated fats are the most dangerous, Trans Fats actually pose a greater health risk while offering no nutritional valued. Furthermore, Trans Fats have been scientifically proven to raise levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol while reducing level of “good” HDL cholesterol. Continuous intake of Trans Fats has been found the possibility of coronary heart disease as well as contributing to obesity and diabetes

Didn't try the bread, but it might fit the bill.

The smoked salmon on a bagel was a major disappointment. I've had it before and found it pretty good, but this one was slathered in mayonnaise or salad dressing or something equally vile. I don't think I was asked if I wanted that.

Edited by Suradit69

Best market at north Pattaya road roundabout has a good selection of breads, especially German breads. I believe they have some wholegrain and wholewheat breads. Also, big c extra, on Pattaya klang, has a nice selection of fresh baked breads. Some new varieties of dark rye and "healthy" grain breads have showed up recently. They are not cheap, however, at around B 100 a loaf.

+1 on Best.

No, there's not much market here for healthy breads as you describe. Should be, I agree, but the great majority of tourists and expats aren't health conscious.

Wholewheat bread is not very good for you surprisingly.

Evidence? Compared to what?

Jing, get your own bread machine & you can wake up to the smell of fresh bread ready for breakfast. HOWEVER, I doubt that you will be able to make 100% WW as there is little gluten in WW flour. I think you will need at least 20% gluten flour. Or the CO2 just escapes, no cohesion in the dough.

I even took my machine back to maker complaining that it didn't work - next day they had a perfect loaf cooked from it. I was trying to do 100% WW, all I got was bricks.

Now can bake a great loaf -

There certainly are gluten free bread recipes...and they use other ingredients to substitute for the gluten.

I've cooked them at home in my breadmaker... They do tend to come out heavier and thicker than the regular flour breads.... but still perfectly acceptable...once you get the recipe down.

I used to make bread with 100% brown rice flour all the time.

Best market at north Pattaya road roundabout has a good selection of breads, especially German breads. I believe they have some wholegrain and wholewheat breads. Also, big c extra, on Pattaya klang, has a nice selection of fresh baked breads. Some new varieties of dark rye and "healthy" grain breads have showed up recently. They are not cheap, however, at around B 100 a loaf.

+1 on Best.

No, there's not much market here for healthy breads as you describe. Should be, I agree, but the great majority of tourists and expats aren't health conscious.

Wholewheat bread is not very good for you surprisingly.

Evidence? Compared to what?

Jing, get your own bread machine & you can wake up to the smell of fresh bread ready for breakfast. HOWEVER, I doubt that you will be able to make 100% WW as there is little gluten in WW flour. I think you will need at least 20% gluten flour. Or the CO2 just escapes, no cohesion in the dough.

I even took my machine back to maker complaining that it didn't work - next day they had a perfect loaf cooked from it. I was trying to do 100% WW, all I got was bricks.

Now can bake a great loaf -

Compared to proteins and surprisingly fat. Amy kind of bread is a starchy carbohydrate, which is metabolized by the body as a sugar. So instead of a slice of bread, one might ad well eat a chocolate chip cookie or candy bar.

All carbs are basically sugars and sugar causes all sorts of health problems...Google metabolic syndrome for the details. A healthy diet should seek to minimize carbs and other forms of sugar.

That being said, I love fresh bread of all types with butter or Olive oil and balsamic glaze as much as anyone. The trick is to consume such in moderation.

Do any of the CM folks here know if the Blue Diamond place would be willing to send a box of their breads....for those of us not living there locally?

• 5 years later...
On 8/6/2013 at 9:04 AM, OMGImInPattaya said:

So instead of a slice of bread, one might ad well eat a chocolate chip cookie or candy bar.

Just to point out 1 slice of bread = 1 small square of chocolate.

So you should have written .... 'So instead of a loaf of bread, one might as well eat a candy bar.'

Which makes things a little bit different.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Just to add my very belated two pennerth, after much trial and error I reccommend the potato rye bread at Best Supermarket at Dolphin Circus. It is 80 Baht per loaf.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1