Healthy bread in Pattaya -- does it even exist?

Jingthing

Best market at north Pattaya road roundabout has a good selection of breads, especially German breads. I believe they have some wholegrain and wholewheat breads. Also, big c extra, on Pattaya klang, has a nice selection of fresh baked breads. Some new varieties of dark rye and "healthy" grain breads have showed up recently. They are not cheap, however, at around B 100 a loaf.

+1 on Best.

No, there's not much market here for healthy breads as you describe. Should be, I agree, but the great majority of tourists and expats aren't health conscious.

Wholewheat bread is not very good for you surprisingly.

While reading the internet for a a bit over a decade now I discovered that whole wheat bread isn't very good for you, but i also was made aware that white bread isn't healthy.

I found out that white rice is no good but that brown rice also isn't the solution.

I learnt that microwaving food kills all the vitamins, but traditional cooking adds to much fatties.

I read that osmosis treated water would deplete you from all the neccessary minerals, but that mineral water contains too much sodium to be healthy.

I'm actually surprised that before the digital era people were able to survive.

Do you want to know what the biggest cause of diabetes type 2/obesity is? It is high fructose corn syrup or HFCS. This is twice as bad as sucrose (table sugar), and being so cheap it is added to most refined (I am not going to call it food) that you can buy!!

Eliminating grains (in particular, corn wheat and soya) from your diet and eating lots of healthy fats you can improve your health no end and help you to lose weight.

Go to Finnish bars and ask for "black bread".

Finnish bars and guesthouses have the best bread you can find in Pattaya. Regular customers of these bars when they arrive to Pattaya bring this ryebread directly from From Finland to the owners and after that this bread go to freezers and sold to the customers smile.png

Someone who understands that wheat is bad for you!!

During WW 2 British were forced to eat brown loaf only. It included whole grain elements like bran. No white bread allowed. The idea was not to waste food which was of course vitally important as highly processing the grain causes lots of waste.

The overall health of the British people improved dramatically during the war and it is attributed to the bread.clap2.gif

Right after the war, the country switched back to white bread.bah.gif

On the matter of gluten intolerance it's real and very serious for a small percentage of people but it's massively over self diagnosed.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not a big bread eater but I like good bread when I do eat it.

I sure wish local restaurants offered BROWN RICE, on a related topic.

Do you mean brown rice, or rice that still has the husk on it?

Either way, it takes an hour to cook and can't be stored, which is why the bleached white garbage won that particular battle.

I like the bread from 7/11, since it can last a couple weeks, without going stale!

Yes but is it ... food?

If it can last that long, its biological value is certainly low. So probably as far from "food" as it gets. Carbohydrates and fat, yes, food, no.

Friendship certainly has a good selection of the "Healthier" breads and most delivered fresh daily, its a case of knowing which Bakeries bread you like and when they deliver. The healthier stuff is mainly what I call German bread.

Personally I cant stand German breads, they are generally dark, dry & bitter.

For a very good 7 whole grain loaf I shop a Yamazaki (branch at Lotus Tesco Sukhumvit Road Pattaya) this is an English style bread. I buy several at a time (get at 10:30 in the Morning) then freeze them. pop in the oven for 10 min when needed.

I have been in Thailand for 30 years and this is the best one yet. another possibility is the bakery at Centara Grand Bakery but they only make a batch of whole multigrain (farmhouse) once a week, there's is excellent as well.

Not much choice but at least becoming available now.wai.gif

I like the bread from 7/11, since it can last a couple weeks, without going stale!

The only good bread that comes from the 7/11 has cheese,ham and onions on it and heated generously in their toasty machine.

It might taste nice but it certainly is NOT GOOD for you!!!

Hardly a day goes by without me wondering whether I would be better off eating things that I dont like and so living a long and fairly uninteresting life, or eating things that I do like and then dying much sooner but happy.

And then I generally have a bacon sandwich and stop worrying.

Try the German baker on top of Soi Khao Noi (darkside) just before the left turn toward Soi Khao Talo.

The Rüggenmischung bread is fantastic. Keep it in the freezer and take out and toast each slice and you have the nice crust and good taste.

Hardly a day goes by without me wondering whether I would be better off eating things that I dont like and so living a long and fairly uninteresting life, or eating things that I do like and then dying much sooner but happy.

And then I generally have a bacon sandwich and stop worrying.

Why would (not) eating this particularly unhealthy piece of non-food make your life 'fairly uninteresting', as you put it!!!

Wouldn't (not being) obese, and at risk of becoming type 2 diabetic or keeling over from a heart attack make up for it?

No need to repost all the shops that offer good bread, but it seems nothing is healthy enough for you, so I suggest you start baking your own bread and do not eat out if you want brown rice.

If you want everything as is available at home, you should stay there or accept what is available in the country you are.

No need to repost all the shops that offer good bread, but it seems nothing is healthy enough for you, so I suggest you start baking your own bread and do not eat out if you want brown rice.

If you want everything as is available at home, you should stay there or accept what is available in the country you are.

Don't do that. Don't play the go home card, dude.

I'm looking for the best I can get here.

I'm not going home for bread.

I don't even eat that much bread. Why would I do that.

I very much appreciate many of the suggestions. I will definitely check out some of them.

Cheers.

JT

Just for your info, I go to Best Supermarket naklua which was mentioned earlier, I like their bread but I eat white bread.

30 minutes or so ago, they only had one " dark " type bread, a " rye " roll at about 19 baht.

Perhaps selection a little low due to it being a Monday.

They do seem to do a fair turnover of their bread and I find what I buy to be of a decent/good quality.

smile.png

Rye that is part rye is better than no rye. I am sold on the health benefits of whole grain dark breads AND the flavor. Could be my eastern European ethnic background on the taste part of it. Sure I like a good French baguette sometimes too.

Edited by Jingthing

Rye that is part rye is better than no rye. I am sold on the health benefits of whole grain dark breads AND the flavor. Could be my eastern European ethnic background on the taste part of it. Sure I like a good French baguette sometimes too.

Bread made with rye is always going to better than bread made with wheat whether part substituted or completely so!!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Best market at north Pattaya road roundabout has a good selection of breads, especially German breads. I believe they have some wholegrain and wholewheat breads. Also, big c extra, on Pattaya klang, has a nice selection of fresh baked breads. Some new varieties of dark rye and "healthy" grain breads have showed up recently. They are not cheap, however, at around B 100 a loaf.

+1 on Best.

No, there's not much market here for healthy breads as you describe. Should be, I agree, but the great majority of tourists and expats aren't health conscious.

Wow. Such wisdom. And would you care to share why wonder bread is healthier than preservative free hole grain bread? Which nutritionist have you been receiving counseling from? The USDA? Castro? Cheney?

• Like 1

+1 on Best.

Wow. Such wisdom. And would you care to share why wonder bread is healthier than preservative free hole grain bread? Which nutritionist have you been receiving counseling from? The USDA? Castro? Cheney?

Preservative free factory produced wholegrain bread, Now that is a novelty!!!

The USDA?Castro, Cheney? - you do possess a bizarre imagination, must be caused by the preservatives in the wholewheat bread you eat!!

Its good to see that the USA is leading the way on health education by the way!!!

+1 on Best.

Preservative free factory produced wholegrain bread, Now that is a novelty!!!

The USDA?Castro, Cheney? - you do possess a bizarre imagination, must be caused by the preservatives in the wholewheat bread you eat!!

Its good to see that the USA is leading the way on health education by the way!!!

There's a shop in ban chang next to lotus. Makes a good rye. He supplies friendship in pattaya I believe.

Shame I live in Nakhonsithammarat as I would have had my first taste of bread (in Thailand) in 6 years.

anyone see anything like this?

Ezekiel Bread. IMO the best bread for you.

http://www.foodforlife.com/about_us/ezekiel-49

Now that is what I call real bread - a powerhouse of goodness and zero anti-nutrients unlike todays poor excuse for something to put marmalade on!!!

I am flying to England on Thursday and I will have a good look around for this. I don't mind paying the earth for it by the way.

• Like 1

Try the German baker on top of Soi Khao Noi (darkside) just before the left turn toward Soi Khao Talo.

The Rüggenmischung bread is fantastic. Keep it in the freezer and take out and toast each slice and you have the nice crust and good taste.

I think you need to be a bit more specific in your instructions. If there's a German baker where you say it is, then it's very well hidden. I've just been to look. The only baker is Rick's - British - who I think supplies the buns to Ozburger.

If you're referring to the German place at the Khao Talo intersection next to the 7/11 and across from the school, then that one closed down a year ago.

Cheers.

The dark German-styled bread like knackerbrot and rye breat seems to last a long time, whether that is from the nature of the recipee or unhealthy additives I don't know? the ingredients list looks pretty harmless to me, does any one knows for sure?

I like sourdough bread...the Big C near to us makes it to order for me. All I have to do is call in how many loaves and they tell me what day it will be ready.

I am guessing that if you went to where they bake bread (bakery - whether big store or Mom/Pop) they will try their best to accomodate you.

That being said - you seem very particular about what you want - so wish you the best.....

I like sourdough bread...the Big C near to us makes it to order for me. All I have to do is call in how many loaves and they tell me what day it will be ready.

I am guessing that if you went to where they bake bread (bakery - whether big store or Mom/Pop) they will try their best to accomodate you.

That being said - you seem very particular about what you want - so wish you the best.....

During WW 2 British were forced to eat brown loaf only. It included whole grain elements like bran. No white bread allowed. The idea was not to waste food which was of course vitally important as highly processing the grain causes lots of waste.

The overall health of the British people improved dramatically during the war and it is attributed to the bread.clap2.gif

Right after the war, the country switched back to white bread.bah.gif

On the matter of gluten intolerance it's real and very serious for a small percentage of people but it's massively over self diagnosed.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not a big bread eater but I like good bread when I do eat it.

I sure wish local restaurants offered BROWN RICE, on a related topic.

Do you mean brown rice, or rice that still has the husk on it?

Either way, it takes an hour to cook and can't be stored, which is why the bleached white garbage won that particular battle.

I cook with brown rice all the time and it takes about 35 mins in the rice cooker. For best results soak the rice overnight.

BTW You can buy brown rice in BIg C Extra or Tops already cooked if you dont want to cook yourself. Nice cheap meal can be had with some babecue chicken,salad,and brown rice easey peasey and tastes great too.

• Like 1