Bad Accident at Bira today ?

mania

Anyone have details in English about this?

As far as I can tell a racer named Chitti Phong Srisawat

died in an accident & 4 badly injured during a race at Bira today?

As far as I can make out something? burst & let oil onto track causing a big pile up.

Sorry to hear this.

getting details now.

He fell off and then something happened.

My thai is not the best.

RIP

Thoughts to the family.

Yes that is what I gathered & my Thai is not great too.

What the one person reporting said was something about

a cracked rib/bone causing the death due to lung/heart puncture

Also said some of the 4 others were injured pretty good too

with broken collar bone etc.

Yes condolences to his family

Edited by mania

It happened in the moto3 race....Blown engine going through the first chicane that dropped oil over the racing line. i think a total of 9 bikes went down and many of the injured were from the first group of riders that went down and then got hit by flying bikes from the second group. 3+ ambulances were used to take people to the hospital, the track/oil was cleared and we continued with the race schedule. It wasn't until i finished tmy race that we found out someone had died and a couple more with bad injuries. A sad day for Thai racing, RIP#65

Turn 1 at Bira is a high speed, blind bend if I recall correctly. RIP to the rider and heal quickly to the injured.

Edit: I honestly believe that if Bira was changed to an anti-clockwise racing configuration, then with a lot of these corners, racers would be naturally slowing down for and perhaps prevent a lot of accidents or at least the severity there of. My 2 cents baht.

Edited by Garry
  • Like 1

Turn 1 at Bira is a high speed, blind bend if I recall correctly. RIP to the rider and heal quickly to the injured.

Edit: I honestly believe that if Bira was changed to an anti-clockwise racing configuration, then with a lot of these corners, racers would be naturally slowing down for and perhaps prevent a lot of accidents or at least the severity there of. My 2 cents baht.

not really blind, but is a double apex, with the second at a decreased radius from the first apex, so is pretty fun. The lack of run-off at some turns at the track is alarming, however. You definitely dont want to run off the pavement at Bira.

The chicane is off the back straight. A quick left/right, then into a hairpin right going uphill to the last turn. That last turn exit is RIGHT next to a wall, good for splattering ones self against. At a casual trackday there, i had a Luk Krung kid try to pass me on the outside there and the only reason he didnt run off was I didnt have the heart to close the door on him. He didn't have the speed at the turn exit, was kinda stuck and already committed, and he would have hit my rear tire. I rolled off throttle and adjusted my line a bit tighter to the inside to let him through. I didnt trust his skills enough to put my life on the line.

• Like 1

The lack of run-off at some turns at the track is alarming, however. You definitely dont want to run off the pavement at Bira.

+1. Did one track day there, never felt comfortable, probably go back but the run off is lacking.

RIP to the rider.

Edited by GAS

That is a sad day, always felt that for racing track would be the place where deaths would less likely occur.

RIP and my prayers go to the injured and family of the races that died on a track.

Another reminder of how dangerous this sport can be.

• Like 1

The lack of run-off at some turns at the track is alarming, however. You definitely dont want to run off the pavement at Bira.

+1. Did one track day there, never felt comfortable, probably go back but the run off is lacking.

RIP to the rider.

I was at Hua Hin for a Pirelli Superbike School. Enjoyed the instruction but the track is downrigth dangerous in places. I could never give it a 100% there. So many accidents there, where the level of damage & injury could have been reduced by protective barriers. The tracks in THailand who say that they are FIM approved are a pack of liars. Buraim Circuit will be different though (hopefully), as they are spending USD$50,000,000 on the entire circuit. It will be worth the trip to ride there.

Edited by Garry
  • Like 1

What Thailand is crying out for is a 'Sepang-like' circuit given that amount of enthusiasm here.

We live in hope.

Buriam Circuit info & threads

https://www.facebook.com/BuriramInternationalCircuit

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/638826-coming-soon-buriram-international-circuit/

Famous track designer Hermann Tilke about Buriram International: http://youtu.be/VAEHV3xeQgw

• Like 1