Left card behind in ATM again ? Is it only me ?

roamer

I went through a period of time when I was doing it all the time!!! but since then I have been extra careful and always triple check:

1) Machine has not been modified

2) hide pin entry #

3) have money

4) Have card

5) no one suspicious hanging around

• Like 1

yes i think it is only you! just keep it up and someone will get your PIN, than you will have nothing to worry about!

If it's only me then why have numerous others here confessed to the same thing ? Displaying that level of maths means you probably need someone else to count your money.

As for my PIN, your're right I wouldn't worry about it. I use the banking app on my phone to transfer the funds I'm going to withdraw on my ATM cards. Stealing or cloning is not something I have to lose sleep over.

Geee, even here in Cambodia you need to take the card first before you get the cash. Can't be all that difficult to set up all ATM's to do that. I'd be sure to forget my card, too.

I'm not alone then!!

I did the same a few months back, and immediately returned to the ATM, but too late. I had hoped it might have been handed in to 7-11 next to the ATM, but no luck.

Another difference I find here, is that they NEVER, EVER, check my signature against the one on my card.

Most countries have a chip and PIN number to avoid fraudulent use. Not here.

I wish I could say I haven't done it. In one week I left one in the ATM and the next day the ATM at Thong Lor wouldn't give me my card back. Out of anger I kicked it and it turned off. When it turned back on a few seconds later it had cleared and no card. You can imagine my embarrassment when I had to go back to Bangkok Bank the next day for still another card!

Geee, even here in Cambodia you need to take the card first before you get the cash. Can't be all that difficult to set up all ATM's to do that. I'd be sure to forget my card, too.

I'm not alone then!!

I did the same a few months back, and immediately returned to the ATM, but too late. I had hoped it might have been handed in to 7-11 next to the ATM, but no luck.

Another difference I find here, is that they NEVER, EVER, check my signature against the one on my card.

Most countries have a chip and PIN number to avoid fraudulent use. Not here.

Regarding the signature, you must not be talking about an ATM card, but a credit card. In the USA, if you make a purchase at, say, a WalMart, you would swipe your card at the cash register and sign the LED pad thing. The cashier will not check your signature in the back. I don't recall many retailers (or restaurants, or hotels, or gas stations) that check your signature against the one on the card anymore, anywhere.

I now regard it with a sense of pride when I remember to take my card. What happens then is a few minutes later a sense of panic sets and I fumble about my pockets just to make sure I did remember to take the card.

I need help. sad.png

Me too on all counts biggrin.png

Nope ur not the only one,sitting in my office I hear this annoying bleeping from the ATM outside the office, and guess what? Yep someone had forgotten to take out their card!! So I have it here waiting for the guy to claim it. :-)

In answer to the OP, quite regularly in my first couple of years here, especially when in a rush- take the money and run. Less common these days, the good thing is at least Bangkok bank can issue me a new one in about 5 minutes at the branch, so no major disruption.

I did it several times in my first couple of years here.

You know the system could never be changed here so you have to get your card before getting your money, which is how the rest of the world does it.

Face would be lost by admitting that the rest of the world does it correctly, and you don't.

I don't lose my cards any longer, but my friends do, and others when they visit.

I think Soap Opera Drama, is the preferred way.

Not true. In the USA right now and wells fargo bank ATM you take cash first then the card comes out...Not sure if all Wells Fargo atm's the same but I just used one yesterday and that is how it worked. Wells Fargo is a HUGE bank.

Most Bank Mounted ATM's in the US give the card back after the transaction also (so it can hold your card for an invalid transaction) or at the same time as the cash is dispensed. As the Thai banks seem to using US built ATM's this would be normal for the machines. (and no I've never lost a card save by having it eaten) Kbank seems to have a lot of eaten cards BTW.

Not just you old fellas that are so forgetful.

My first trip backpacking here with my good friend, he lost his debit card and credit card in this manner within a week.

I had to pay for us both the remaining 5 or so weeks. Thank god for overdrafts.

Its the different sequence of card and money emission and the fact that after a while we do everything automatically. I lost several Singapore cards. I solved it by changing the pin. If you type in your old pin you will get knocked back and that will remind you. If you type in the new pin you'll remember.

Most Bank Mounted ATM's in the US give the card back after the transaction also (so it can hold your card for an invalid transaction) or at the same time as the cash is dispensed. As the Thai banks seem to using US built ATM's this would be normal for the machines. (and no I've never lost a card save by having it eaten) Kbank seems to have a lot of eaten cards BTW.

I've been with Kasikorn over 5 years haven't had a card eaten yet.

Usually in cases of an eaten card the operator is usually at fault.

You know the system could never be changed here so you have to get your card before getting your money, which is how the rest of the world does it.

Face would be lost by admitting that the rest of the world does it correctly, and you don't.

I don't lose my cards any longer, but my friends do, and others when they visit.

Not true. In the USA right now and wells fargo bank ATM you take cash first then the card comes out...Not sure if all Wells Fargo atm's the same but I just used one yesterday and that is how it worked. Wells Fargo is a HUGE bank.

NCR are the largest ATM manufacturers in the world. Apparently the settings for the method by which the cash is dispensed is done by a series of hardware switches on the machine. The default settings are that the card should be removed before cash is dispensed.

I can't talk for Wells Fargo but am pretty sure that most US banks don't operate their ATM's that way or I would no doubt be losing cards there too smile.png

I've made it a habit to request the slip once my transaction is done, and will check my wallet for the card back in there before I leave the machine. But Bangkok Bank is good that if you forget your card after you took your money, then the two options left are really pointless for the next person, because if you want to continue your transaction you gotta put in your pin number again.

But I've lost 4 cards in 6 months before.

So Mr. AlanL is clearly wrong. Will he admit it?

Never forgot my card.

But a friend of mine forgot his..

And somehow someone was able to withdraw 8,000 bahts from his account.

He showed a pic of the thief, from a surveillance camera.

No way to find that person.

I thought it would have been pretty simple biggrin.png

article-1258563335988-07435CE8000005DC-3

Edited by mca