Left card behind in ATM again ? Is it only me ?

roamer

I've done it again. Left my card behind in the ATM. In the UK you put your card in the machine, transaction approved and then you have to take your card back before the money is issued, if you don't then no money comes out. In LOS, at least in the machines I use, it just spills your money out, at which point I have got what I came for and walk away. Usually next day and often the other side of town or further before I realise my mistake.

I have other cards so not the calamity it could be. Just left me wondering if I'm the only one sad.png

• Like 1

I've done it too.

ATMs in different countries can have very different workflows, travelling to multiple locations can scramble the brain (particularly if some alcohol has been imbibed).

The ATMs in Manila got me well confused. With some (but not all) machines you swipe or insert your card and get it back, then go through the whole transaction only entering your PIN right at the end immediately before getting the cash.

Been there, done that,.

It is the same in Indonesia, only the machine I use most of the time bleeps to let you know your money has arrived, take your money bleeping stops, then it asks if you want another transaction before it gives you your card. Scary as I have walked away several times with the screen still open for transactions.

re

Just left me wondering if I'm the only one

nahh ive done it sad.png

i was getting some money out of this bank in chiang mai and going to england for a month and then a few weeks in pattaya reyong and bangkok

it wasnt till i got back that i realised the card had gone so i went there and the girl opend a drawer full of them sad.png

after 5 minits looking i had my card back smile.png

dave2

post-42592-0-73365100-1375076067_thumb.j

35 years of using ATMs I've never done it. Had my card eaten once, does that count?

Same here, never done it. Is TV populated by a bunch of senile old geezers who can't even remember to remove an ATM card from the machine? Appears so.

I'm considered a senile old geezer by some, just old by others.

Never had an ATM card, I don't trust them (and myself).smile.png

Yermanee wai.gif

35 years of using ATMs I've never done it. Had my card eaten once, does that count?

Same here, never done it. Is TV populated by a bunch of senile old geezers who can't even remember to remove an ATM card from the machine? Appears so.

I'm considered a senile old geezer by some, just old by others.

Never had an ATM card, I don't trust them (and myself).smile.png

Yermanee wai.gif

Nothing personal. I'm no spring chicken myself. But to hear people do it with such regularity...and then blaming someone (who else, the Thais) is rather baffling.

Good if you have never forgotten anything;-)

Really, the way the ATM's in Thailand work is all wrong. As mentioned earlier, here in Cambodia you take your card first and then the cash. Whilst some people might forget the card, they are extremely unlikely to forget the cash.

• Like 2

I now regard it with a sense of pride when I remember to take my card. What happens then is a few minutes later a sense of panic sets and I fumble about my pockets just to make sure I did remember to take the card.

I need help. sad.png

• Like 2

I now regard it with a sense of pride when I remember to take my card. What happens then is a few minutes later a sense of panic sets and I fumble about my pockets just to make sure I did remember to take the card.

I need help. sad.png

I got that kind of thing happening to me too.. and so far havent lost a card that way but came close too a few times last time was a few nights ago. Needed money good.. got the money go.. hmmm oh .. my card.

• Like 1

Nothing personal. I'm no spring chicken myself. But to hear people do it with such regularity...and then blaming someone (who else, the Thais) is rather baffling.

Really, the way the ATM's in Thailand work is all wrong. As mentioned earlier, here in Cambodia you take your card first and then the cash. Whilst some people might forget the card, they are extremely unlikely to forget the cash.

I'm not suggesting I'm special, just normal. I mean, people don't "normally" forget their ATM card in the machine, do they? If so, I may be mistaken in my definition of "normalcy."

I've lived in America for most of my life and I honestly don't remember how the ATM's used to be. Nowadays, it's mostly a swipe of the card. By the way, is Cambodia supposed to be the shining example of modern civilization?

Edited by Berkshire

I'm not suggesting I'm special, just normal. I mean, people don't "normally" forget their ATM card in the machine, do they? If so, I may be mistaken in my definition of "normalcy."

I've lived in America for most of my life and I honestly don't remember how the ATM's used to be. Nowadays, it's mostly a swipe of the card. By the way, is Cambodia supposed to be the shining example of modern civilization?

Well as the OP I'm comforted to see there are more of us "sub normals" around biggrin.png . I think however you are missing the point, for many of us it's a conditioned response simply being used to the way an ATM works in many other countries. It's also not a case of "blaming" the Thais but as another poster pointed out the cashier "had a whole drawer full of cards" , what would you say is the more efficient system, one that makes it impossible to forget your card or one that allows you to ?

• Like 2

Happened to me plenty. And then, after years of getting used to the system, I came home and starting doing the exact opposite - walking off with my card and leaving money in the machine.

Ouch!

Now I am worried, having left my card in the ATM at the age of 30, senility hit me young :(

By the way, is Cambodia supposed to be the shining example of modern civilization?

No, but obviously the ATM's are better thought out. And if I look at all the moaning on TV; it must just be a better placebiggrin.png

Cambodia didnt even have an ATM machine in the entire country 10 years ago.

Hundreds today.

• Like 1