Got set up with a Bangkok Bank account

Just got sorted with a Thai bank account via Bangkok Bank.

Got my bank card and also applied for online banking(had to pay 2400 baht for this).

A few questions:

1. Just wondering will it be possible for me to link this account to my paypal account, so that I can transfer money over to it that way?

2. How much will I be charged to withdraw from ATM's over here with my bangkok account?

3. If I use it abroad(say in Malaysia for example), what charges will I be looking at per atm transaction?

Thanks for any info.

If you open a bank account with CIMB bank in Thailand, there will be no ATM fees within S. E. A. if their ATM's are used. I personally moved away from all Thai banks as they're in my opinion all "fraudsters".

There is also an other bank "UOB", it's a S'PORIAN bank with plenty of ATM's in Thailand

2400 Baht??????????

I'd certainly question this!

I've recently set up two accounts with Bangkok Bank, one fixed account and one savings acct with a Be 1st card for daily use with SMS notifications on any transactions and a weekly SMS balance on a Monday morning. Registering for internet banking was easily done online with no hassles.

No fees if you use BB ATM's, in fact you can register for online banking (free) at an ATM using the other services option.

Total cost 300 baht.

Relatively easy to do, even with non-English speaking staff in the depths of Isaan.

No problems so far.

What you mat not know is if you make a deposit or withdrawl at any other branch than the one you signed up at you will be charged a commission fee my average withdrawl is 5000 baht as I do not keep much in the ATM costs me 35 baht and increases as the amount withdrawn increases.

I was not charged anything for on line banking.

2400 Baht??????????

I've recently set up two accounts with Bangkok Bank, one fixed account and one savings acct with a Be 1st card for daily use with SMS notifications on any transactions and a weekly SMS balance on a Monday morning. Registering for internet banking was easily done online with no hassles.

No fees if you use BB ATM's, in fact you can register for online banking (free) at an ATM using the other services option.

Total cost 300 baht.

Relatively easy to do, even with non-English speaking staff in the depths of Isaan.

No problems so far.

Didn't you read the title of the thread ? The OP said he was "set up".

We were told the 2400 baht charge was compulsory and with that you got 1 years worth of medical insurance. She said I couldn't use Internet banking unless signed up for this.

Feel like this isn't the case though now!

I don't have a Bangkok bank account but find that SCB are always trying to push some sort of extra insurance on nearly everything they offer. I do not remember it costing that much extra however.

If you can afford the time and trouble you could check at another branch or on their web site to make sure and then appeal to the bank manager/head office.......

OP should consider himself well and truly done and a lesson learnt............unless the insurance is useful of course.......whistling.gif

Bangkok Bank are THE most unhelpful bank I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I have an SCB and a BB. Never use the Godawful BB.

BTW, that fee? wouldn't surprise me if you were scammed. I never paid any 'fee' when I opened with them.

The lady we dealt with in BB told us that we needed to take out the insurance, that it was necessary in order to be able to use internet banking.

Her English wasn't the best and we found it hard to understand her(no fault of hers obviously).

However, we do feel that from what ye guys have said we were scammed into taking out this insurance. I have the documents to prove i've the insurance, but I'm thinking that she was getting a commission for selling it and therefore let on that it was necessary to take out in order to use online banking!

The lady we dealt with in BB told us that we needed to take out the insurance, that it was necessary in order to be able to use internet banking.

Her English wasn't the best and we found it hard to understand her(no fault of hers obviously).

However, we do feel that from what ye guys have said we were scammed into taking out this insurance. I have the documents to prove i've the insurance, but I'm thinking that she was getting a commission for selling it and therefore let on that it was necessary to take out in order to use online banking!

Yeah that's probably a fair assessment. If you don't want that insurance, don't feel intimidated; call up head office and get your money back. There are more than enough good English speakers there to be able to handle your situation.

I didn't have to pay anything to set up my Bangkok Bank account but I did have to jump through a lot of hoops because some branches knew the criteria for foreigners opening accounts and some didn't.

Well worth it in the end because, at the time of opening, they were way ahead of banks like Krung Thai and Ayutthaya in terms of their online banking meaning you could actually understand their website and the English used therein. Dealing with them has been a breeze and linking the Be1st card to my Paypal account was a doddle

Must have been a big Thai-English miscommunication disconnect. The only funds needed to open a Bangkok Bank account is the minimum opening Bt500 deposit and the initial Bt100 per debit card (if requesting a debit card). Pretty much standard for opening an account with any Thai bank, especially the minimum deposit amount for a regular saving account and a regular debit card. Most banks also have several premium versions of debit cards and their cost will be higher...usually because of some benefits/insurance added on which come with an annual higher renewal fee.

If it was a joint account and you got two regular debit cards, then the initial total fee would have been Bt200 with an annual renewal fee of Bt200 per card. If getting the Be1st Smartcard (the one with the chip on it), the initial fee is the same but the annual renewal fee will be Bt300 starting Jan 14.

You do not have to take out any insurance the bank may be pushing offering....sure appears the employee that opened your account maneuvered you into signing up for insurance not required just to open an account. And IMHO usually the type of accident/medical/life insurance bank's like to sell to account owners doesn't offer that much protection and can only be claimed in certain situations...not sure at all it's good value for the customer, but I'm sure some have positive stories on this type of insurance.

I have 4 Bangkok Bank accounts right now...some in my name only...some with the wife. And have actually had several more in my name only as I have invested some of my money in Bangkok Bank "fixed" savings accounts which provide higher interest than a regular savings account...and when the fixed account matures a person usually rolls it over into another fixed account paying the best interest. I also have internet banking. There is no fee to open/have internet banking. I have never paid anything other than putting in at least the minimum Bt500 opening amount and the initial debit card initial fee. I think one time the bank rep asked if I wanted insurance so and so also, I said no thank you...and then she continued on to open the account.

You may have just got an overzealous employee promoting their insurance products too aggressively or in a misleading manner. Then again maybe it was just you in shaking your head up and down too much when not fully understanding what was being offered.

In regards to the questions you asked in your opening post:

1. Just wondering will it be possible for me to link this account to my paypal account, so that I can transfer money over to it that way?

Ans: Yes you can, but that is an expensive way to transfer money since you get the PayPal exchange rate which is 2 to 3% lower than the TT Buying Rates of Thai banks and you'll still be hit with the bank's currency receipt/conversion fee of 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max). Although PayPal will have converted the funds to baht already you still get hit with the fee since the bank is still "receiving" the funds internationally.

2. How much will I be charged to withdraw from ATM's over here with my bangkok account?

Ans: If withdrawing from another Bangkok Bank ATM in the same region there is no charge, if withdrawing from a Bangkok Bank ATM in another region then a Bt15 fee will apply. But if withdrawing from another Thai bank's ATM there may be a fee of around Bt10 to Bt20 per withdrawal depending on where in the country you are doing the withdrawal (i.e., outside a certain banking region) and whether the ATM being used is part of the intra-region national ATM pooling arrangement then up to 4 withdrawals/month will be free with the 5th withdrawal costing Bt10. But I expect the bulk of your ATM withdrawal with be in your home region, so there would be no fee if withdrawing from a Bangkok Bank ATM and most likely other bank ATMs in your home region are part of the intra-region national pool so no fee should be charged.

3. If I use it abroad(say in Malaysia for example), what charges will I be looking at per atm transaction?

Ans: Yes. Bt100 charge by Bangkok Bank....and of course whatever fee that foreign ATM may (will) charge.

Now, above info pretty much applies to any Thai bank...not just Bangkok Bank as all Thai banks have very, very similar polices and fees as all of them must comply with Thai laws and Bank of Thailand regulations.. Plus, the true competition between Thai banks is not that great IMHO and the fees seem to be very, very similar...probably an unwritten/unspoken understanding all the banks have with each other....don't want to rock the fee boat.

P.S. I've been a very happy customer of Bangkok Bank for many years...definitely a good bank...I got no complaints. But you got sold insurance you didn't need to take in order to open an account. Who to blame for that?...bank rep or you?....I can't say not being there to see and hear the conversation first hand. Additionally, the Bangkok Bank English language webpages provide tons of clear information, such as answers to your questions. Other Thai bank's websites come in a distance second compared to Bangkok Bank's English language web site.

Regarding the answers I gave above, just go to this Bangkok Bank webpage and scroll down to the areas titled Debit and ATM Cards, and ATM Services. Cheers.

• Like 1

I have a Bangkok Bank account with a card that is setup for online use. If there was an additional fee it was for the card itself (of which they offer various sorts) and small, not anywhere near 2,400 baht.

In the US salespeople receive commission for the sale of insurance products... the same likely is true here.

I suspect this is a case of 'don't sign anything you don't understand'. If they couldn't produce the policy on paper (as in you didn't sign anything requiring it) then it would be more along the lines of 'don't give people money simply because they ask for it'.

Regarding fees... outside your region you will be required to pay atm fees even at Bangkok Bank ATMs. Foolish but part of dealing with the underdeveloped banking industry in a third world country. Keep in mind that bank accounts in Thailand do not enjoy the consumer protections taken for granted in the West and that funds in such accounts should, subsequently, be limited to what you can afford to lose.

Must have been a big Thai-English miscommunication disconnect.  The only funds needed to open a Bangkok Bank account is the minimum opening Bt500 deposit and the initial Bt100 per debit card (if requesting a debit card).   Pretty much standard for opening an account with any Thai bank, especially the minimum deposit amount for a regular saving account and a regular debit card.   Most banks also have several premium versions of debit cards and their cost will be higher...usually because of some benefits/insurance added on which come with an annual higher renewal fee. 

If it was a joint account and you got two regular debit cards, then the initial total fee would have been Bt200 with an annual renewal fee of Bt200 per card.    If getting the Be1st Smartcard (the one with the chip on it), the initial fee is the same but the annual renewal fee will be Bt300 starting Jan 14.  

You do not have to take out any insurance the bank may be pushing offering....sure appears the employee that opened your account maneuvered you into signing up for insurance not required just to open an account.   And IMHO usually the type of accident/medical/life insurance bank's like to sell to account owners doesn't offer that much protection and can only be claimed in certain situations...not sure at all it's good value for the customer, but I'm sure some have positive stories on this type of insurance. 

I have 4 Bangkok Bank accounts right now...some in my name only...some with the wife.  And have actually had several more in my name only as I have invested some of my money in Bangkok Bank "fixed" savings accounts which provide higher interest than a regular savings account...and when the fixed account matures a person usually rolls it over into another fixed account paying the best interest.  I also have internet banking.   There is no fee to open/have internet banking.    I have never paid anything other than putting in at least the minimum Bt500 opening amount and the initial debit card initial fee.   I think one time the bank rep asked if I wanted insurance so and so also, I said no thank you...and then she continued on to open the account.  

You may have just got an overzealous employee promoting their insurance products too aggressively or in a misleading manner.  Then again maybe it was just you in shaking your head up and down too much when not fully understanding what was being offered.  

In regards to the questions you asked in your opening post:

Ans: Yes you can, but that is an expensive way to transfer money since you get the PayPal exchange rate which is 2 to 3% lower than the TT Buying Rates of Thai banks and you'll still be hit with the bank's currency receipt/conversion fee of 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max).  Although PayPal will have converted the funds to baht already you still get hit with the fee since the bank is still "receiving" the funds internationally.

Ans:  If withdrawing from another Bangkok Bank ATM in the same region there is no charge, if withdrawing from a Bangkok Bank ATM in another region then a Bt15 fee will apply.  But if withdrawing from another Thai bank's ATM there may be a fee of around Bt10 to Bt20 per withdrawal depending on where in the country you are doing the withdrawal (i.e., outside a certain banking region) and whether the ATM being used is part of the intra-region national ATM pooling arrangement then up to 4 withdrawals/month will be free with the 5th withdrawal costing Bt10.   But I expect the bulk of your ATM withdrawal with be in your home region, so there would be no fee if withdrawing from a Bangkok Bank ATM and most likely other bank ATMs in your home region are part of the intra-region national pool so no fee should be charged.

Ans: Yes. Bt100 charge by Bangkok Bank....and of course whatever fee that foreign ATM may (will) charge.

Now, above info pretty much applies to any Thai bank...not just Bangkok Bank as all Thai banks have very, very similar polices and fees as all of them must comply with Thai laws and Bank of Thailand regulations..  Plus, the true competition between Thai banks is not that great IMHO and the fees seem to be very, very similar...probably an unwritten/unspoken understanding all the banks have with each other....don't want to rock the fee boat.

P.S.  I've been a very happy customer of Bangkok Bank for many years...definitely a good bank...I got no complaints.   But you got sold insurance you didn't need to take in order to open an account.   Who to blame for that?...bank rep or you?....I can't say not being there to see and hear the conversation first hand.    Additionally, the Bangkok Bank English language webpages provide tons of clear information, such as answers to your questions.   Other Thai bank's websites come in a distance second compared to Bangkok Bank's English language web site.

Regarding the answers I gave above, just go to this Bangkok Bank webpage and scroll down to the areas titled  Debit and ATM Cards, and ATM Services.     Cheers.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Wow. Fair play for taking the time to write out that reply!

In relation to your answer to question 1 about paypal - what other methods do I have of getting money from paypal into the thai account?

I think most of the questions of the OP have been answered, with the exception of the moving paypal money to Thai account.

Nowadays you can set your Thai Paypal account in Thai Baht, so if you for example sell something on ebay, you simply ask for Thai Baht and receive the exact amount in Thai Baht.

Obviously the buyer will then bear the not so good exchange rate, so this will be of no help when you for example send funds from your own US paypal to your Thai paypal!

If have withdrawn many times from my Thai paypal to my Bkk Bank account and I do not get charged the incoming foreign funds commmison of 0.25%.

My paypal shows the amount in Thai Baht to be transferred to my bank account (50 Baht fee if less then 5000 Baht I think), and that is the exact same amount showing up in my bank account a few days later (approx 3-5 business days actually).

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Wow. Fair play for taking the time to write out that reply!

In relation to your answer to question 1 about paypal - what other methods do I have of getting money from paypal into the thai account?

I wouldn't use PayPal, period, dot, due to associated costs. Hopefully, you have a home country bank account from which you can initiate no cost or low cost international funds transfers. Like how many U.S. banks provide no cost funds transfer via ACH. Assuming your bank does provide such service then just transfer funds from your home country bank account to your Bangkok Bank account. Many, many expats transfer funds to Thailand using this method....and of course some transfer funds to Thailand using the more pricey SWIFT method....it's still just a wire transfer like ACH but usually arrives a day or two faster...but the last time I did an ACH transfer it arrived/posted within 2 days.

See this Bangkok Bank wepage regarding Transferring Funds and then click on the sublink titled Transferring Into Thailand for detailed info. By the way, if your home country bank(s) are U.S. accounts, Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank which has capability to receive funds via the low cost ACH method; with other Thai banks you have to use the pricey SWIFT method.

Another way to get funds from the home country "immediately" in hand at the full Visa/MasterCard exchange rate (which is basically equal to the Thai bank TT Buying Rate for wire transfers) is to get a "no foreign transaction" fee debit card....that is, a debit card that don't charge anything when using it outside your home country area. Slide the debit card into a ATM, preferably an AEON ATM to avoid the Thai bank ATM foreign card ATM fee of Bt150/180, and get funds immediately in hand up to your card's daily cash withdrawal limit which is probably going to be in the $500-$1000 ballpark with no fees anywhere along the way.

Although I initially did regular ACH transfers when moving to Thailand, for almost two years now I've been getting all of my day-to-day living money by using my two no foreign transaction fee debit cards both of which have a $1000 daily cash withdrawal limit. And a couple times each month I withdrawal X-amount form an AEON ATM in my local Lotus mall, then take about 20 steps to the Bangkok Bank outlet and Cash Deposit Machine (CDM), and then deposit the money using the CDM into my Bangkok Bank account so I have funds to backup my Bangkok Bank debit card and ibanking usage. This whole process of getting the money from the AEON ATM and depositing it in my Bangkok Bank accounts takes around 5 minutes. And for those cases where I may need BIG money within a few days, then I still have the ACH capability to send over a big dollar amount versus visiting the ATM everyday for X-days to pull $2,000/Bt60,000 per day until I reach that BIG money amount needed. Being able to get up to $2,000 per day from my home country banks absolutely free of fees and at the full exchange rate completely meets my needs--not to imply I need $2,000 a day to live in Thaland...heck a person can live just fine on $2,000 a month in Thailand.

Quite a few threads on ThaiVisa about funds transfers and debit card usage. Just scan the threads, use the ThaiVisa search function. Cheers.

• Like 1

What about Tax? I'm from Ireland, so you're saying I should transfer the money from paypal over to my irish account and then do an international transfer over to my thail acco forunt?

Say, for example that I have $2,000 in my paypal and I want to move it directly over to my thai account - how much does paypal charge for this service does anyone know?

Thanks.

What about Tax? I'm from Ireland, so you're saying I should transfer the money from paypal over to my irish account and then do an international transfer over to my thail acco forunt?

Say, for example that I have $2,000 in my paypal and I want to move it directly over to my thai account - how much does paypal charge for this service does anyone know?

Thanks.

Don't know what you mean by tax? Maybe you mean fees?

Anyway, when I log onto my PayPal account and see what the PayPal USD to Thai baht exchange rate is for this moment in time, it's 30.486/USD. When you send the USD/Euro's/etc., PayPal automatically converts the funds using their exchange rate....makes them a nice little profit....call it a hidden fee. The particular exchange rate will vary depending on what currency you are converting from and to. Use the instructions at this PayPal webpage to use the PayPal exchange rate calculator.

The Bangkok Bank TT Buying Rate used for wire transfers at this moment in time is 31.24/USD. Or said another way the PayPal exchange rate is 2.4% lower (or said another way their hidden fee). On a $2,000 transfer that would be equate to a $48 fee due to the lower exchange rate used by PayPal. Then crank in another 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 min) by your "local" Bangkok Bank (or any Thai bank) to receive the international funds transfer (don't matter if it arrives in a foreign currency or Thai baht) which would work out to the minimum Bt200 or approx. $6.50 and you are now up to at least $54.50 in fees.

For comparison, if I was transferring $2,000 from one of my U.S. bank accounts I would have no sending bank fee, there would be a $5 fee as the funds flowed through Bangkok Bank New York branch (their routing number is used) to my local Bangkok Bank account where that 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max) fee would also apply...or specifically approx. $6.50 in that local fee. I would get the Bangkok Bank TT Buying Rate. All of this would total up to $11.50 in fees. Now your Sending bank may also charge a Sending fee...I can't speak to what bank(s) you use and their associated fees....I'm just using an example of your Sending bank not charging any Sending fee....many banks in the U.S. do not charge any sending fees especially if using ACH; however, many of the more evil banks in the U.S. do charge a sending fee. So, be sure to consider Sending bank fee(s) if applicable. And never let the Sending bank convert to baht before sending or you'll get their lower exchange rate...yeap, they play the hidden fee thing just like PayPal. But with your bank you don't "have to" convert to Thai baht before sending; as far as I know PayPal automatically converts before sending (you got no choice) in order to effectively earn a fee through their lower exchange rate...so sending money via PayPal internationally is generally not free.

So, if I had sent via PayPal I would encountered approx. $54.50 in transfer cost due to lower exchange rate and fees; but if transferring from my U.S. bank I would have encountered $11.50 in cost (lower exchange rate does not apply since I'm getting the higher Thai bank TT Buying Rate vs the PayPal rate).

Now I would just like to clarify that if you have a US bank account and want to transfer funds to your PayPal account and then from your PayPal account to your Bangkok Bank account, you should be able to do that without PayPal doing the automatic dollar to baht thing and then you get PayPal's lower exchange rate. I can't say for sure as I've never did it...I've had my Bangkok Bank debit card linked on PayPal before (just to confirm I could) but never transferred money from my PayPal account to my Bangkok Bank account since PayPal would just be an unnecessary delay in transferring the funds..and there might be some unknown fee involved. Plus, I never setup my Bangkok Bank account as a source of funding since you can't "pull" funds from your Bangkok Bank account via PayPal like mentioned in the first Bangkok Bank webpage link in my last paragraph...and keep in mind I'm talking a non-Thai PayPal account...for a Thai PayPal account I guess you can pull from your Thai bank account. When it comes to "pulling" money from your Thai bank account, Bank of Thailand regulations pretty much don't allow Thai bank to allow that ...as you will figure out Thailand financial laws/regulations have big open arms and smiles for incoming money; but for outgoing funds the Land of Smiles turns into the Land of Frowns. If the question pops in your mind about having a both a PayPal account from your home country and a Thai PayPal account and transferring money around that way, I'm pretty sure that when PayPal's automatic/forced currency conversion comes into play again and you'll get their lower exchange rate.

And using the Bangkok Bank NY routing it should prevent any Sending bank fee your U.S. bank may charge since you are "pulling" the funds from your U.S. bank account into your PayPal account and then transferring from your PayPal account. But all that transferring does take extra time if you don't have the money already setting in your PayPal account. If your U.S. bank does not charge an ACH sending fee, which is common for many banks, then going the PayPal route is just throwing in a middleman...kinda like handing a baton off to another person who runs with it for while and then hands it off to another person to complete the race.

See this Bangkok Bank webpage on how to setup your PayPal link which utilizes the routing number of their Bangkok Bank New York branch along with your local Bangkok Bank branch account number. It's basically doing the same as doing a ACH transfer from your U.S. bank account to your Bangkok Bank account described at this webpage which also describes how to transfer funds to Bangkok Bank from some other countries. But if you can't use the Bangkok Bank NY routing, like you don't have a U.S. bank account, I guess you are stuck in having to use PayPal's exchange rate to complete the transfer which finally gets its into your Thai bank account.

Edited by Pib

2400 Baht??????????

Total cost 300 baht.

No problems so far.

Didn't you read the title of the thread ? The OP said he was "set up".

Touchy - Touchy ..... had a bad hair day?