What Is So Great About Phrao ?

Samui Coconut

My friends living in BKK invited me now the xxx time to go with them and have a look at their house and land in Phrao and "strongly suggest" that I should consider buying some land there as well. I am aware that Pai is slowly waking up to the toursim but hardly heard about Phrao......have no money anyway so just wanted to check if anyone knows that area..... Am I missing something ? :o

My friends living in BKK invited me now the xxx time to go with them and have a look at their house and land in Phrao and "strongly suggest" that I should consider buying some land there as well. I am aware that Pai is slowly waking up to the toursim but hardly heard about Phrao......have no money anyway so just wanted to check if anyone knows that area..... Am I missing something ? :o

thats an interesting question, i would also like to know whats there in phrao. i have heard of some people buying land there as well. anyone??

I have a good freind that lives there...its small..cheap and within travelling distance of CM... a bit out of the way for my liking ..but if you want to experience ruralness verses the City...maybee you should go and check it out!

I spend a fair amount of time in Phrao. Nice place, still without many tourist facilities, which keeps it quiet. I think it will be that way for a few more years, if you consider the lack of growth in the last twenty years.

If you don't mind the 1 1/2 half hour drive to Chiang Mai, then I'd say it's a beautiful place to live, especially in the valley west of Phrao about 20 k's.

i was told by locals that it is a nice and peaceful place to live. inexpensive.

apparently not much there either. sould like a good place for retiring for people who don't need much activities.

also for thais, it may be a long term investment when the sleepy town get "discovered" and become hip.

:D

Nice sleepy town but wakes up early – the main market starts about 1am and ends around 9ish. Way too early for me.

I’ve heard that a new Royal Project / Palace is being built in the mountains near Phrao. If this is open to the public expect Phrao to be suddenly on the tourists map for the Thais.

Scenic drive from Chiang Mai but at the moment views somewhat spoilt by large burnt patches. Last year the rains washed away a bridge on the Chiang Mai road and also blocked the Chiang Dao road with a landslide.

Nice place for a get away from it all weekend / week / month etc. :o

Nice sleepy town but wakes up early – the main market starts about 1am and ends around 9ish. Way too early for me.

I’ve heard that a new Royal Project / Palace is being built in the mountains near Phrao. If this is open to the public expect Phrao to be suddenly on the tourists map for the Thais.

Scenic drive from Chiang Mai but at the moment views somewhat spoilt by large burnt patches. Last year the rains washed away a bridge on the Chiang Mai road and also blocked the Chiang Dao road with a landslide.

Nice place for a get away from it all weekend / week / month etc. :o

TV members should organise a field trip out there to phrao and of course catering by the winner of the great cm poll. In this case we might have Duke's :D

Best thing about Phroe is the run West over to Ping Koung or the run East to Wieng Pa Pao.

But then again, the old back road that comes out on the Chieng Dao/ Fang road might be even a wee bit more interesting.

...Ken

Best thing about Phroe is the run West over to Ping Koung or the run East to Wieng Pa Pao.

But then again, the old back road that comes out on the Chieng Dao/ Fang road might be even a wee bit more interesting.

That's all the roads from Phrao except road 1001 to Chiang Mai, which is surely worth a mention as a beautiful drive- in the rainy season, of course. In my opinion, that whole area is pretty ugly at the moment.

Road 1136 is a main route from Phrao to Chai Prakan and Fang. It's also a very nice ride due to the lack of heavy trucks or other traffic on the route, which helps keep the road surface in good shape.

Route 1150 west is interesting in that on a clear day, you can see Doi Intanon at some points. Also the largest Lisaw village in the North, Baan Khun Jae, is halfway to Wiang Pa Pao.

Route 1150 East to Chiang Dao has some small lisaw and Lahu villages (worth a visit), and a couple of large Hmong Villages

A lot to see in this area :o

Friends have recommended this place to stay in Phrao..

http://www.doifarangbungalow.com/

Though not much of a living room in the bungalows, it seems.. :o

pic4.jpg

Doi Farang Bungalows is not bad at all, I have stayed there on occasion. The setting at the foot of the mountain is very beautiful, and there is a swimming pool as well. Some of the bungalows are made from refurbished rice storage buildings.

It should also be noted that as far as I know, it is the only farang-oriented accommodation available in Phrao. (At least last year).

Route 1150 west is interesting in that on a clear day, you can see Doi Intanon at some points. Also the largest Lisaw village in the North, Baan Khun Jae, is halfway to Wiang Pa Pao.

I agree. The route to Wiang Pa Pao from there is very nice on a big bike. Presperous hilltribe villages along the way .. and makes me wonder what they used to grow there. My friend had an accident (his fault) on this road; broke the 900 cc bike's frame and dented the oncoming pickup truck. People couldn't have been nicer. Accepted 1000 baht for the damage and helped arrange a songthaew from Phrao to haul him and his damaged goods back to Chiang Mai. Then he had to pay for the damage to the rental bike. 30,000 baht on his Visa card. All and all, a day to remember.

Nice ride, nice folks.

Anybody know anything about restaurants in this area? Someone had to start mentioning food in this thread and I thought that it might as well be me. :o

The only decent restaurant I have found in town is a place called 'Maa Leewy' (sp) a noodle shop. It's right at the end of the market road, in the middle of town. There are a few joints on 1150 as it goes through town, but I've never stopped there.

Presperous hilltribe villages along the way .. and makes me wonder what they used to grow there
Most of the people in Khun Jae village work for the Royal Project close by, or have small crops going farther down the hill, or are hired out to locals in Phrao. Many are christian, too. Never any opium growing, that I'm aware of. Edited by Ajarn

Route 1150 East to Chiang Dao has some small lisaw and Lahu villages (worth a visit), and a couple of large Hmong Villages

Large Hmong village ? You must be mistaking the Thais and the Lahu Dam for the Hmong at the entance to Ban Mae Paam. The Hmong used to be the main folks there but some of the Thais at Mae Paam moved out to be closer to the bus stop. Later on the Black Lahu moved in just behind the Hmong village. Very separate of course. Getting to be less Hmong all the time. There was a war between those Lahu and the Lisu near Ban Bang Maeow a few years back. It was rather heated for awhile until a Thai school teacher was shot by accident. The 'police' came and killed some of the Lahu and it has been mostly quiet since....well, except for that nasty war on drugs phase.

Phrowe

If you head West toward Ping Koung from Prowe, you might stop in Ban Bang Maeow (first Thai town when you make the steep drop down from the mountain). There is a North direction road about mid town that takes you up to a big Lisu village. If you go past the Thai school and on about 3 km there are caves that a few monks live in. They are usually appreciative of a few donations of food. This is not a tourist destination. The road/track continues on and T's into the Phrowe/ Fang connecting road.

......Ken

• 1 month later...

Finally made it to Phrao, approx. 100 km from Chiang Mai, drive by mini bus takes 1.30 hours, .....nice sleepy village, no major happenings, Doi Farrang Bungalow is okay, a bit deserted and dark.....beautiful landscape in/around Phrao, people very friendly, alternative to Doi Farrang Bungalow is Khum Lanna (a homestay resort), but also much more expensive. Land prices start from approx. 80,000 - 300,000.- per Rai.....for long term investment okay.....I liked it and I'll be back. :o

• 2 years later...

I was born in Phrao .Retirement . I have voluntary homestay name Phrao Homestay . There are 9 houses surround with paddyfiled and moutain view. About 3 kms.from Phrao town.I would like to invite everyone to stay if you want to change experience of life with me .I am very happy to know you like Phrao .I proud of my hometown . I willing to teach Thai culture etc.Hope see you at Phrao Homestay .Thank you.

Wiwan/[email protected]/Tel.085-8695993

All I wonder is if people GET AWAY from everything then what do they DO when alone with their spouse. Sitting in some pretty location, but doing nothing, would would drive me crazy in a hurry. I can't even sit on a beautiful beach that long. I like to travel, fish, hunt or do anything active. I also like to write and paint, which means I'm alone a lot. But, I can be creative within a reasonable distance from a city. I don't want to drive for an hour to get there. I've lived in a country village far from a city when my children were growing up. But, I spent most of my time building a home by myself. It occupied my time and when I wanted some relaxation I went fishing or skiing... depending on the season.

All I wonder is if people GET AWAY from everything then what do they DO when alone with their spouse. Sitting in some pretty location, but doing nothing, would would drive me crazy in a hurry. I can't even sit on a beautiful beach that long. I like to travel, fish, hunt or do anything active. I also like to write and paint, which means I'm alone a lot. But, I can be creative within a reasonable distance from a city. I don't want to drive for an hour to get there. I've lived in a country village far from a city when my children were growing up. But, I spent most of my time building a home by myself. It occupied my time and when I wanted some relaxation I went fishing or skiing... depending on the season.

I cannot tell you what I do when alone with my spouse (that is a subject that is banned on TV) :D

But seriously, I never find it a problem to do absolutely nothing. I guess it all depends whether you are comfortable with yourself, have done most things, no more mountains to climb :o

Opening a bottle of beer, or turning the pages of a book, reaching for the remote, provides about all the physical exercise that I need :D

• 1 year later...
Anyone any ideas on prices of land in that region....I am getting more and more interested... :D , surely cheaper than Samui, and as Phrao doesn't have a beach, I guess I get a rai for less than 20 Mio :)

I retired to Phrao district 5 years ago. I paid 80,000 per rai, 8 rai, do recreational organic farming and love it here. I was moving to Pai when I stopped over in this area to visit a friend. I live in Tambon Long Khod, 12 villages, 4000 persons, 3 falang. Peaceful and quiet, probably not for anyone that needs an active night life - Chiangmai is less than an hour away though.

Friends have recommended this place to stay in Phrao..

http://www.doifarangbungalow.com/

Though not much of a living room in the bungalows, it seems.. :)

pic4.jpg

Doi Farang Bungalows is not bad at all, I have stayed there on occasion. The setting at the foot of the mountain is very beautiful, and there is a swimming pool as well. Some of the bungalows are made from refurbished rice storage buildings.

It should also be noted that as far as I know, it is the only farang-oriented accommodation available in Phrao. (At least last year).

The web site does not have prices. Any idea ? looks like a nice weekend get away destination

I can show you 8 rai of Longan for anywhere between 600k and 800k baht all day long around Phrao.

But, is it "legal"...?

We have gone land-shopping and found MANY people who are more than willing to take your money for land they do not own - nor will you after you throw your money away...

And what of water? Da wife says this area has a very real problem with available water and that is why land prices are so cheap and why it is just not catching on with investors or people willing to live there, in spite of the beauty of the surroundings.

Edited by Dustoff

I can show you 8 rai of Longan for anywhere between 600k and 800k baht all day long around Phrao.

But, is it "legal"...?

We have gone land-shopping and found MANY people who are more than willing to take your money for land they do not own - nor will you after you throw your money away...

And what of water? Da wife says this area has a very real problem with available water and that is why land prices are so cheap and why it is just not catching on with investors or people willing to live there, in spite of the beauty of the surroundings.

You have to be smarter than then the average bear. :D There is no problem with water and if you want to pay inflated farang price go right ahead. :) I fined most people are not aware of the location or just don like the rural setting. To far from Big C or Tesco.