New Colleseum More Double Pricing

Gone

It's about gouging the farang.

I took two Thai staff to Ocean World and they tried to charge me the farang rate for the Thais.

Scammers.

Nonsense. Thais get a discount, non-Thais pay the full price. I trust you pointed out their error and the situation was rectified. Why is every mistake a scam?

Thais are getting a discount all over Thailand on everything and the Farang get full retail price.

Thanks for clearing that up.

This guys sounds like he just got off the 10baht tuk tuk city tour...

Some farangs are taking it up the a** all day and don't even realize it.

Actually when "this guy" went to Ocean World he paid the "Thai" price as he had his work permit and tax certificate with him.

Wow. That guy must be really desperate for the discount.

• Like 1

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a ladyboy show for free every time I go for a beer on Sukhumvit. These ridiculous shows are for tourists who rarely see a bloke in a frock, and for some reason find it interesting, so let them waste their 1,000 baht.

Beer bars with ladyboys on Sukhumvit in Pattaya? Are you sure?

I have never been to Pattaya. Talking about the real Sukhumvit

Real Sukhumvit? Sukhumvit is one of the longest roads in the world. FACT. Also this is in the Pattaya forum so........

I see a ladyboy show for free every time I go for a beer on Sukhumvit. These ridiculous shows are for tourists who rarely see a bloke in a frock, and for some reason find it interesting, so let them waste their 1,000 baht.

Real Sukhumvit? Sukhumvit is one of the longest roads in the world. FACT. Also this is in the Pattaya forum so........

I think you'll find that Sukhumvit ends at Bangna Trad. Whatever replica road that runs through Pattaya can hardly be compared to Thailand's premier real estate

I think you'll find that Sukhumvit ends at Bangna Trad. Whatever replica road that runs through Pattaya can hardly be compared to Thailand's premier real estate

Must be a real estate agent...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhumvit_Road

• Like 1

a Thai DL is not a proof of residency - it just proves your identity and your address,

not your visa status.

It's not fully true.

If I see you have a 5-years DL, I know you have at least a non-Immigrant visa.

Any tourist can get a 1-year DL, but not a 5-years one wink.png

• Like 1

a Thai DL is not a proof of residency - it just proves your identity and your address,

not your visa status.

It's not fully true.

If I see you have a 5-years DL, I know you have at least a non-Immigrant visa.

Any tourist can get a 1-year DL, but not a 5-years one wink.png

you mean "had a non-immigrant visa at the time it was applied for" - the non-immigration visa could very well not have been renewed wink.png

Edited by manarak

Desperate? Not at all. He keeps a laminated copy of both (and his passport) in his wallet and when he enquired if they would entitle him to the 'local' price, it was met in the affirmative. Otherwise, he would have paid the full price.

you mean "had a non-immigrant visa at the time it was applied for" - the non-immigration visa could very well not have been renewed wink.png

No, I mean "have" not "has".

Like for many things in Thailand (visa & work-permits mainly)

your DL validity will expires when the reason that allowed you to get it expires.

They had a (hot) topic about that on PattayaExpats forum about 1 year ago.

your DL validity will expires when the reason that allowed you to get it expires.

so people on non-B will be issued a Thai DL that only has a validity of one year?

It's about gouging the farang.

I took two Thai staff to Ocean World and they tried to charge me the farang rate for the Thais.

Scammers.

Nonsense. Thais get a discount, non-Thais pay the full price. I trust you pointed out their error and the situation was rectified. Why is every mistake a scam?

Thais are getting a discount all over Thailand on everything and the Farang get full retail price.

Thanks for clearing that up.

This guys sounds like he just got off the 10baht tuk tuk city tour...

Some farangs are taking it up the a** all day and don't even realize it.

Actually when "this guy" went to Ocean World he paid the "Thai" price as he had his work permit and tax certificate with him.

He thinks he got a discount.

Too funny.

so people on non-B will be issued a Thai DL that only has a validity of one year?

No non-O will give you a 5 year one after the 1 year one. Tourist visa will give you a 1 year license and nothing else,

I got 5 years one for car and motorbike, all done with non-O (marriage visa).

Saved me a lot of money over the years.

I think double pricing occurs in a lot more situations than we realize. I was looking for a flight to the Philippines recently and on the Philippine Airlines website they have various classes of fares: Fiesta Deal (cheapest) Fiesta Saver (2nd cheapest) etc. etc... When I checked the prices the Fiesta Deal fares were sold out and the cheapest available was the Fiesta Saver fares. I sometimes use a VPN that gives me a Philippines IP address and later that day I forgot to disconnect from the VPN and checked the fares again on the Philippine Airlines website. Sure enough, when checking fares from a Philippines IP address the Fiesta Deal fares were now available and were around 10% cheaper than the Fiesta Saver fares. I stumbled across this by accident and it made me wonder how many times we may unknowingly be paying the foreigner price for goods or services. To be honest I don't mind paying 10% more, it's when it's 40%...100%...200% more that I will often walk away on principal.

• Like 1

I think double pricing occurs in a lot more situations than we realize. I was looking for a flight to the Philippines recently and on the Philippine Airlines website they have various classes of fares: Fiesta Deal (cheapest) Fiesta Saver (2nd cheapest) etc. etc... When I checked the prices the Fiesta Deal fares were sold out and the cheapest available was the Fiesta Saver fares. I sometimes use a VPN that gives me a Philippines IP address and later that day I forgot to disconnect from the VPN and checked the fares again on the Philippine Airlines website. Sure enough, when checking fares from a Philippines IP address the Fiesta Deal fares were now available and were around 10% cheaper than the Fiesta Saver fares. I stumbled across this by accident and it made me wonder how many times we may unknowingly be paying the foreigner price for goods or services. To be honest I don't mind paying 10% more, it's when it's 40%...100%...200% more that I will often walk away on principal.

When I book my RT ticket to USA from BKK the savings is about 10% when compared to booking out of SFO. Again it is marketing and knowing the US traveler can pay more.

I love the way farangs on this site can find anything to whine about. Stop kvetching!

If you have a regard for economic justice, don't waste it on a Katoi show -- throw away your iphone and cheap shirts made by slave labor in underdeveloped countries! Campaign for organized labor! Join Human Rights Watch or Amnesty International!

Stop winging about a silly 400 Baht surcharge on a show you probably don't want to see.

Enjoy your canned chicken.

And I love the way the thai apologists chime in and defend double pricing. Stop whinging, and enjoy your som tam, with your extented thai family.

• Like 2

I love the way farangs on this site can find anything to whine about. Stop kvetching!

If you have a regard for economic justice, don't waste it on a Katoi show -- throw away your iphone and cheap shirts made by slave labor in underdeveloped countries! Campaign for organized labor! Join Human Rights Watch or Amnesty International!

Stop winging about a silly 400 Baht surcharge on a show you probably don't want to see.

Enjoy your canned chicken.

And I love the way the thai apologists chime in and defend double pricing. Stop whinging, and enjoy your som tam, with your extented thai family.

I would imagine the so-called Thai apologists are just ex-pats who have lived here a while, know how things work and enjoy their life here.

• Like 2

Huh, opening night wrinkles?

I was invited to attend the opening night. I went only to be stuffed around for hours because they had issued me seats that did not exist.

There is no acceptable reason for dual pricing. Can you imagine a company in Australia or anywhere for that matter with dual pricing?

There's double pricing every where in Australia eg theme parks offer local residents special discounts for going to their parks.

Hotels and resorts do the same.

• Like 1

I was invited to attend the opening night. I went only to be stuffed around for hours because they had issued me seats that did not exist.

There is no acceptable reason for dual pricing. Can you imagine a company in Australia or anywhere for that matter with dual pricing?

There's double pricing every where in Australia eg theme parks offer local residents special discounts for going to their parks.

You are saying it correctly.. local residents.. many foreigners are local residents but have a hell of a time getting the discount. Sometimes they do and sometimes they dont.

I was just watching the PPTV and saw Megan doing the review for the new Pattaya Colleseum and interviewing the main man (who looked to be about 25).

Anyways when she asked how much to get in he said "It is 600 baht for Executive and 700 for VIP" after a minute he said: "Sorry that price was for Thai's. Foreigners pay 1000 baht and 1100 baht for the VIP".

For that reason alone I will never go their nor will I tell any travelers (my friends) to go there.

I stand corrected (for the worse) I saw the commercial again and the price they said for foreigners was 1200 and 1400 NOT 1000 and 1100 so that is literally DOUBLE pricing not just Dual pricing.

I was just watching the PPTV and saw Megan doing the review for the new Pattaya Colleseum and interviewing the main man (who looked to be about 25).

Anyways when she asked how much to get in he said "It is 600 baht for Executive and 700 for VIP" after a minute he said: "Sorry that price was for Thai's. Foreigners pay 1000 baht and 1100 baht for the VIP".

For that reason alone I will never go their nor will I tell any travelers (my friends) to go there.

I stand corrected (for the worse) I saw the commercial again and the price they said for foreigners was 1200 and 1400 NOT 1000 and 1100 so that is literally DOUBLE pricing not just Dual pricing.

And because of that I will never go to that show, any place that double prices should be avoided.

Where in Australia and what theme park does that? Please provide a link showing that. I mean a clear price where all foreigners are charged double, waiting for your reply.

Do this place try to hide the Thai price using Thai script like they do at Siam Ocean World?

Excuse me, why do you think it is about hiding prices? When I went to Queen Sirikit hospital to register the signs were in English for me, 250 baht, in Russian (250 baht) and Thai languages (20baht). The Thais can't read English and I can't read Thai and I could give a s**t if a Thai gets a discount.

Excuse me, why do you think it is about hiding prices? When I went to Queen Sirikit hospital to register the signs were in English for me, 250 baht, in Russian (250 baht) and Thai languages (20baht). The Thais can't read English and I can't read Thai and I could give a s**t if a Thai gets a discount.

You are not aware of Thai culture and their national pastime of overcharging their guests?

It IS about hiding the price.

When Ocean World opened, the price displayed was 450Bt. for everybody.

When the Australian Manager left and a Thai took over, they decided to charge visitors more, jacked up the price and created signs in Thai script to hide the fact.

Shameless scammers.

Can't speak about Australia but coming from San Francisco dual or multi tier pricing is the norm. Visiting California, I enjoy my discounts for being a senior, discounted tickets for transportation (seniors and city residents), free admission to national parks for US seniors only, free zoo, museum, libraries, etc for city residents. Point being, discounts for age, citizenship and residency not that unusual. Yes, citizenship, residency and even getting old has its perks.

I think you confuse public services, which are funded by taxpayers money, with a private company with a pursuit of profit.

Previously discussed, but residency discounts do not apply exclusively to tax funded services. The new SF residency card permits local businesses to promote themselves and give residents discounts. Pier 39, a tourist destination, gives 2 for 1 discounts to residents. It is all about marketing and Thailand being a very nationalistic country it just makes good marketing sense.

The only other place I've encountered it is Zimbabwe.

You are not aware of Thai culture and their national pastime of overcharging their guests?

When the Australian Manager left and a Thai took over, they decided to charge visitors more, jacked up the price and created signs in Thai script to hide the fact.

Shameless scammers.

We are going around in circles on this subject, we just see things differently. I understand why businesses in tourists towns give discounts, whether it is the student paying 5 baht on the baht bus, the senior or the handicapped getting a discount or a Thai getting a discount. It's really about economic justice based on the perception, whether right or wrong, on the ability to pay. The maid making 6000 baht, the minimum wage worker should be able to go to Colleseum just like me, enjoy the show and not be deprived by circumstances not of their making. I will be taking a group of the Thais from Issan to the Colleseum next week and I will not be complaining about my savings on the admission price.

• Like 2

Shameless scammers.

So the Thai manager made a sensible business decision. A discounted price for locals is not a scam.

• Like 1

Is that a joke?

Thais can't read Roman numerals?

Uh huh. Sure thing.

Is that a joke?

Thais can't read Roman numerals?

Uh huh. Sure thing.

The registration instructions were in three different languages and I saw different numerals being used, one of the Russian signs had both Russian and Roman numerals.