American man killed in Krabi - son severely injured

webfact

Tragic outcome - when people behave like annoying , aggressive jerks ( ie by not getting off a stage), you have to figure that eventually they will get pay back ( but nonetheless, death is too much!)

With a knife ? Come on. Posted Image

ANYONE can be removed from a stage without resorting to possible death. Posted Image

Perhaps you didn't read carefully: according to the story, the Americans were not injured in the act of removing them from the stage. The fact that they allegedly refused to leave the stage apparently led in part to an eventual fight in which the injury and killing took place.

On or off stage, killing for nothing is crazy. Am sure the locals could have sent the farangs on their way, UNLESS the farangs were wannabe Rambo's.

Totally agree.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This type of ridiculously insane situation seems to happen with more and more frequency. And are we just hearing about a fraction of the violent crime committed here?

Perhaps embassies and passport issuing offices need to make clear and serious warnings to people traveling to Thailand (and other countries with a similar problem) about being extremely careful how they interact with the locals, especially if they are off the usual beaten track. One would think that enough common sense would prevail (even though western governments are dumbing down their citizens) for people to keep a fairly clear mind (i.e. Don't get falling-down drunk.) and get out of a situation that seems dicey, but I guess not.

I suspect in this case the unwanted singers were possibly impaired too much by alcohol to realize just how much the aggravation level of the band had risen and the dangerous position they were in. (Pure speculation, I realize, but to not heed the wishes (one can assume strongly) expressed by the band would indicate that their judgement was screwed up.)

It's often hard to find sympathy for anybody in these situations, but I certainly agree that unless the Thais felt physically threatened (which one claims was the case when his breathing was restricted) their actions were not appropriate.

So sad. These tourist expecting entertainment and now the dad's dead and the son seriously injured. Time for the travelling tourist coming to Thailand wake up and see this place for what it really is. I agree, the embassies need to be more forthcoming to advise tourist of the dangers they face.

• Like 1

Those happy carefree smiling Thais eh?? land of murders smiles

Gee the drama queens are out in force.

Some drunks got in an alcohol fueled argument and therefore all Thais are sinister and this is the land of murders.

These two Americans could have as easily been beaten up and killed in the US, and given their reported behavior it's unlikely this was the first time for them to act like jerks in a bar.

The saintly, sober farangs, eh??

PEORIA, AZ - A Peoria man has been arrested on a murder charge after his friend died from injuries suffered in a "fake" bar fight.

MOREHEAD CITY, N.C. -

A man arrested in connection with a July 4th death outside a Morehead City bar made his first court appearance Tuesday morning.

Two men are being sought in connection with the beating death of an employee at Pats II Cocktails in South Redondo Beach.

STILLWATER, Minn. (WCCO) – The Washington County Attorney’s Office has charged a Cottage Grove man over the death of a Bayport man whom he assaulted in a bar fight.Police say 22-year-old Eric Richard punched the victim, 28-year-old Adam McCloud, in the head at least twice at Smalley’s Caribbean Barbecue & Pirate Bar in Stillwater.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

So, you're in a situation where someone is beating the crap out of you and wack them with a rock / bar or whatever.

They die.

That's self deffence.

Get a life TV wingers.

Considering how drunk they must have been to not get off stage when everyone else had left. I'd have a educated guess that they weren't exactly capable of 'beating' the crap out of someone.

The Thai's version sounds fishy...? Head lock...? Can't breath...so you stab someone and twice at that? They already outnumber the American's 3 to 2...

There's a lot missing to this story and especially the Thai's version of what happen. We won't know until the son can give an account of what he says happen and see how things all differ.

Again, a shame no one else is honest enough to come forward and tell it from a 3rd perspective...but everyone's too scared to get into anyone else's business..because, you could end up on the end of some revenge.

• Like 2

What an utterly senseless waste of life. You'll never understand the full range of emotions that go on in such encounters from just reading confessions but the common theme is always not far from alcohol induced stupidity. Self defense will not hold up if you severely beat someone up. One stab is maybe plausible, multiple stabs definitely not. Hopefully the US consulate will put some pressure on the local LE's to make sure that everything is handled by the law and not by tea money.

• Like 1

Tragic outcome - when people behave like annoying , aggressive jerks ( ie by not getting off a stage), you have to figure that eventually they will get pay back ( but nonetheless, death is too much!)

With a knife ? Come on. rolleyes.gif

ANYONE can be removed from a stage without resorting to possible death. coffee1.gif

Not in Thailand :(

I find it ridiculous how so many posters in this forum routinely take something like this and turn it into a 'Thai vs. farang' thing. This is a case of drunk people (note: people, not Thai or farang) getting involved in a stupid bar fight that escelated to a point where someone was tragically killed. I worked in the bar business for 10 years and have seen similar incidents happen many times; 99% of the time they have nothing to do with race and everything to do with boozy aggression. They usually don't end up with someone getting killed but they very well can - and do - anywhere in the world. Incredible: a bar fight breaks out and someone gets killed - let's blame it all on Thai society!

NO, lets blame it on a knife that should never have never have been brought into the arena.

What Thailand needs to do is have a National It's ok to kill a Farong Day. Every lunatic is entitled to waste one Farong on that day only with no arrests and promise not to kill any Farong's the rest of the year. Problem solved.

They have that already . . . 365 days a year.

Some drunks got in an alcohol fueled argument and therefore all Thais are sinister and this is the land of murders.

These two Americans could have as easily been beaten up and killed in the US, and given their reported behavior it's unlikely this was the first time for them to act like jerks in a bar.

PEORIA, AZ - A Peoria man has been arrested on a murder charge after his friend died from injuries suffered in a "fake" bar fight.

MOREHEAD CITY, N.C. -

A man arrested in connection with a July 4th death outside a Morehead City bar made his first court appearance Tuesday morning.

Two men are being sought in connection with the beating death of an employee at Pats II Cocktails in South Redondo Beach.

STILLWATER, Minn. (WCCO) – The Washington County Attorney’s Office has charged a Cottage Grove man over the death of a Bayport man whom he assaulted in a bar fight.Police say 22-year-old Eric Richard punched the victim, 28-year-old Adam McCloud, in the head at least twice at Smalley’s Caribbean Barbecue & Pirate Bar in Stillwater.

I share your disdain for the way people are blatantly using this to fuel the predictable bashing session but as you so often do, you have overstepped the mark - in my opinion - in your unceasing efforts to defend Thais and Thailand:

"...given their reported behavior it's unlikely this was the first time for them to act like jerks in a bar."

Do you really think that is appropriate? (I have little doubt had someone made the same sort of assumption about Thais, you'd not tolerate it.)

• Like 2

This type of ridiculously insane situation seems to happen with more and more frequency. And are we just hearing about a fraction of the violent crime committed here?

Perhaps embassies and passport issuing offices need to make clear and serious warnings to people traveling to Thailand (and other countries with a similar problem) about being extremely careful how they interact with the locals, especially if they are off the usual beaten track. One would think that enough common sense would prevail (even though western governments are dumbing down their citizens) for people to keep a fairly clear mind (i.e. Don't get falling-down drunk.) and get out of a situation that seems dicey, but I guess not.

I suspect in this case the unwanted singers were possibly impaired too much by alcohol to realize just how much the aggravation level of the band had risen and the dangerous position they were in. (Pure speculation, I realize, but to not heed the wishes (one can assume strongly) expressed by the band would indicate that their judgement was screwed up.)

It's often hard to find sympathy for anybody in these situations, but I certainly agree that unless the Thais felt physically threatened (which one claims was the case when his breathing was restricted) their actions were not appropriate.

Like when you go to a Safari park and your warned not to get to near the animals!

• Like 1

I find it ridiculous how so many posters in this forum routinely take something like this and turn it into a 'Thai vs. farang' thing. This is a case of drunk people (note: people, not Thai or farang) getting involved in a stupid bar fight that escelated to a point where someone was tragically killed. I worked in the bar business for 10 years and have seen similar incidents happen many times; 99% of the time they have nothing to do with race and everything to do with boozy aggression. They usually don't end up with someone getting killed but they very well can - and do - anywhere in the world. Incredible: a bar fight breaks out and someone gets killed - let's blame it all on Thai society!

NO, lets blame it on a knife that should never have never have been brought into the arena.

You keep focussing on the weapon - it shouldn't have been there, but it was harmless until someone used it.

• Like 1

R.I.P to the guy and a speedy recovery to his son.

He didn't deserve to die no matter if things did get a little out of hand due to (no doubt) alcohol, although we wasn't there so we don't know.

The sickening thing is when you put it into context this is yet another among many murders of holiday makers by Thai locals and will in all probability go unpunished except for a token public relations excercise punishment. They will be walking the streets among other holiday makers within days I expect.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even lose the gig at the bar, after all they admitted to the police they stabbed them.

Hate to tell you this guys but this happens a lot in the USA. Go to some road house bar in the middle of nowhere with rednecks and bikers and see what happens. You better not look at anyone the wrong way or walk in as a stranger. Being from Texas where there is omly 1 bar every 50 miles I have seen many guys stabbed, dragged behind pickups and the like and some killed. The local law doesn't care or will take the time to investigate.

• Like 1

Very sad, and yet again Thailand at its best. It is about time posters are displayed by foreign embassies warning that Thai people do not fight fair and when one hair is out of place they have no regard for life. Obviously the Thai authorities will not act - therefore our own governments should. The biggest topic should be, if a fatality occurs do not expect justice as you would in your own country.

Edited by britinthai
  • Like 2

mmmmm . . . can't speak about the USA or other countries, but I don't remember that many people getting stabbed, beaten or killed in any bar fights in the UK.

And as we are in Thailand, and it involved Thai + foreigners, surely it is indeed a Thai vs Farang thing? Yes, it's stupid, yes, it involved alcohol, but do you not think that (in most instances) it's the Thai's generally that take things too far and overreact to most things with violence in these situations?

(and before you say it, yes I'm generalising and oversimplifying things, but I think it's appropriate here)

• Like 1

Is there a source which documents all the foreign murder? If it was started today and we took a look back in a year's time, I'm sure it would already be quite a substantial compilation.. Of course the embassies and consulates of respected nations know this already, so why aren't they doing more to protect the citizens of their homelands?

You keep focussing on the weapon - it shouldn't have been there, but it was harmless until someone used it.

So you and I walk around with a blade in our pocket just in case someone sings the wrong song eh. rolleyes.gif Now come on. rolleyes.gif

Hate to tell you this guys but this happens a lot in the USA. Go to some road house bar in the middle of nowhere with rednecks and bikers and see what happens. You better not look at anyone the wrong way or walk in as a stranger. Being from Texas where there is omly 1 bar every 50 miles I have seen many guys stabbed, dragged behind pickups and the like and some killed. The local law doesn't care or will take the time to investigate.

Great, you're talking about "locals" . . . but how many "tourists" get killed in this way over there?

• Like 1

MOREHEAD CITY, N.C. -

I dont see anything in your examples that indicate the people killed in the U.S. were tourists.

If you're going to make comparisons you could at least try comparing apples with apples.

So you and I walk around with a blade in our pocket just in case someone sings the wrong song eh. Posted Image Now come on. Posted Image

No, you come one. Why make up something and clam I said it? Don't respond to my posts if you can't be bothered - I don't blame you. But if you do, how about responding to what I actually said?