American man killed in Krabi - son severely injured

webfact

Simple..... don't insult Thai men. They can and they WILL go crazy. That's all you need to know. A little humility goes a long way here. It is an esteem problem that many of them have. Beneath the Land of Smiles there is rage in losing face and at being insulted and alcohol doesn't help them. I agree with the above post DON'T DRINK WITH THAI MEN.

I think being alcohol impaired can make you insensitive to what is going on emotionally in a different culture. I think probably the Americans had a bit too much to drink themselves.

The minority of Thais will only be crazy because you make them crazy with your ignorance of their ways in their country.Alcohol certainly doesn't help.

• Like 2

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my take. Dad and son somehow cause the band to lose face, most probably by doing something so innocuous it didn't register at the time. Band waits outside for the pair to leave and desperate for revenge, attacks, thinking 3 on 2 should be okay as it's only a dad and son. As most Thai males can't fight for shit without back-up or being tooled-up, they started to get a beating so resort to knifing the dad and then trying to beat the son to death. Band then make up BS excuses (tip-box, didn't stop singing etc.) in order to try to minimize their guilt, similar to that murdering taxi driver in BKK recently. ThaiVisa Thai-wannabes take the BS excuses as fact, even inventing stuff like spitting in a girl's face. Then they try to put the blame on the Americans by excusing the Thai thugs behaviour with the usual 'cultural differences' chestnut.

And yes, some westerners behave boorishly or aggressively when drunk, but often the Thai response (beatings, knifings, murder etc.) is totally over the top and out of proportion to the perceived original 'offence'.

Even if the 'reports' of the Americans bad behavior turns out to be true, it didn't warrant a death sentence.

Honestly saying ,after i saw how did they behave i wished those 2 drunk guys would get beaten up.Unfortunately,one of them died.But i'm not lying , i really wished they would get beaten.

And people like you are the the worst posters here on TV.You just wait to something like this happen(or every other story) just so you can bash all thai people. If you think one can come here and behave aggressively,shouting at people then you shouldn't even come.Try to do that in other country,it will be with same consequences.

I lived 3 years in Pattaya and believe me 99% of all fights started because farang started behave aggressively first. Tell me one story that you know where thai WITHOUT ANY REASON attacked foreigners?(except robbers and similar).Yes there are,but very rarely.

So tell me, why are these bars opened ? I will post why they open, my thought, to earn money FROM holidaymakers or resident farangs, and of course locals if they have the cash. Opening an establishment such as this comes with the drawbacks. If you want to make money from booze then one must accept what goes with booze, and we all know what that is. A guy gets cut up cos he's a bit pissed and dies, very sad, yet folk here talk as though folk must not get drunk in a Thai bar rolleyes.gif and accept the knife. Nooooooooooooooooo .

Drink and act responcibly.

• Like 1

Alright, so Thailand has become bad and Farangs are getting killed every day, and so on. I am not making any excuses here, a murder is a murder, but maybe there is some backlash here to the condescending, racist attitude displayed by many foreigners? Many of the threads on TV make me cringe, full of racism, narrow-mindedness, neo-colonialist attitudes. This is the 21st century, trampling on people is just not cool anymore.

Alright, so Thailand has become bad and Farangs are getting killed every day, and so on. I am not making any excuses here, a murder is a murder, but maybe there is some backlash here to the condescending, racist attitude displayed by many foreigners? Many of the threads on TV make me cringe, full of racism, narrow-mindedness, neo-colonialist attitudes. This is the 21st century, trampling on people is just not cool anymore.

Perhaps you are the narrow minded one. Ever think of that? facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Simple..... don't insult Thai men. They can and they WILL go crazy. That's all you need to know. A little humility goes a long way here. It is an esteem problem that many of them have. Beneath the Land of Smiles there is rage in losing face and at being insulted and alcohol doesn't help them. I agree with the above post DON'T DRINK WITH THAI MEN.

I think being alcohol impaired can make you insensitive to what is going on emotionally in a different culture. I think probably the Americans had a bit too much to drink themselves.

The minority of Thais will only be crazy because you make them crazy with your ignorance of their ways in their country.Alcohol certainly doesn't help.

You mean everyone should treat Thais like spolit, petulent, jealous little children, lest they get upset and go 'crazy'?

• Like 2

My God! Do you really believe the shit you post? Or just brainwashed?

SIC!

Yes. As the punishment for offenders is rather severe, isn't it?

MasterCard called! They want their race card back.

Perhaps. But I have lived in much rougher neighborhoods than LOS and never gotten in so much as a fight.

You mean everyone should treat Thais like spolit, petulent, jealous little children, lest they get upset and go 'crazy'?

Treat every situation on its merits.If the locals show signs of going off,exit,stage right.If you can't back yourself up,be prepared for the consequences,you have had plenty of warnings.

My real question is; Why does every-single-person ever arrested immediately confess?

50% sentence reduction on early plea. No big money or surname and unlikely to get a decent trial. Car batteries to the testicles usually solve such issues and allow the police to do some real work.

Cutting the arms off Karaoke girls who refuse them, torturing teenage motosai thieves to death by crushing their testicles, beating illiterate Burmese women to death with planks of wood and executing backpackers, for example. (all examples taken from news items over the last few years.)

Perhaps. But I have lived in much rougher neighborhoods than LOS and never gotten in so much as a fight.

Many of us have been there and know the rules smile.png , but this is the land of smiles and farangs come here to get away from crap, that's how some spots in LOS make their money.

Treat every situation on its merits.If the locals show signs of going off,exit,stage right.If you can't back yourself up,be prepared for the consequences,you have had plenty of warnings.

They sound like quite a pathetic little people, from your description.

Are you sure? The TAT broucher is very different. They're all calm and smiling and buddhist. :huh:

• Like 1

While I HAVE NOTICED A DECLINE IN THE LAST 15 YEARS OF THE " UGLY AMERICAN " Arounf the world (Aussies seem to be picking up the slack). Stupid Drunk and un-aware of their suroundings as they think they are the life of everyones party as the booze rots their brain. And their nuisence and antics goes noticed by all but themselves.

This is an unfortunate occurrance but the Band members report seems feasible. I am faily low key myself but often look back on my past drunken antics around the world and marvel I am still breathing.

In my lifetime I was only force to shot one drunken drug crazed attacker and that was in America 1 second before he would have plunged a knife through my chest after he had severely beat me ias I slept in my own home (boat) and repeatedily attacked me as I attempted to bring the vessel ashore I was arrested by an eastern bloc raised women dectective who's sole logic was I used a gun, She was not on the up and up, subjecting me to a possible 25 yrs in prison for saving my own life by wounding himsuperficially and then trying to getmedical assitance as soon as possible. This has cost me over $300k US

I do understand the stupid crap that can happens once a boundry has been passed and if the deceased did indeed physically attacked the leader of the band . He himself opened the door for the whatever could happen. I am sure he was not thinking foward and an apology and some compansation sounds as if it was in order for the disruption of their show.and livelyhood.

Death is extreme payment for "Drunk and stupid' but it happens everywhere all the time.as we remove the safety belts and walk the wire with our eyes closed and without the net of common sense.

Wishing the son a quick recovery and my condolences to the family for this unfortunate mishap resulting in the fathers death

So, you're in a situation where someone is beating the crap out of you and wack them with a rock / bar or whatever.

They die.

That's self deffence.

Get a life TV wingers.

It can also be Manslaughter.......depends on who picked the fight, if you started it and it winds up the other guy is winning, you resort to excessive force, its Manslaughter, not self defense............happened to my nephew in Kentucky, he served his time and is now a stand up citizen , but he started the fight and when he started loosing, he pulled a gun and shot the other one.............cost him 12 years of his life.

Here's my take. Dad and son somehow cause the band to lose face, most probably by doing something so innocuous it didn't register at the time. Band waits outside for the pair to leave and desperate for revenge, attacks, thinking 3 on 2 should be okay as it's only a dad and son. As most Thai males can't fight for shit without back-up or being tooled-up, they started to get a beating so resort to knifing the dad and then trying to beat the son to death. Band then make up BS excuses (tip-box, didn't stop singing etc.) in order to try to minimize their guilt, similar to that murdering taxi driver in BKK recently. ThaiVisa Thai-wannabes take the BS excuses as fact, even inventing stuff like spitting in a girl's face. Then they try to put the blame on the Americans by excusing the Thai thugs behaviour with the usual 'cultural differences' chestnut.

And yes, some westerners behave boorishly or aggressively when drunk, but often the Thai response (beatings, knifings, murder etc.) is totally over the top and out of proportion to the perceived original 'offence'.

Even if the 'reports' of the Americans bad behavior turns out to be true, it didn't warrant a death sentence.

Read post 101

While I HAVE NOTICED A DECLINE IN THE LAST 15 YEARS OF THE " UGLY AMERICAN " Arounf the world (Aussies seem to be picking up the slack). Stupid Drunk and un-aware of their suroundings as they think they are the life of everyones party as the booze rots their brain. And their nuisence and antics goes noticed by all but themselves.

This is an unfortunate occurrance but the Band members report seems feasible. I am faily low key myself but often look back on my past drunken antics around the world and marvel I am still breathing.

In my lifetime I was only force to shot one drunken drug crazed attacker and that was in America 1 second before he would have plunged a knife through my chest after he had severely beat me ias I slept in my own home (boat) and repeatedily attacked me as I attempted to bring the vessel ashore I was arrested by an eastern bloc raised women dectective who's sole logic was I used a gun, She was not on the up and up, subjecting me to a possible 25 yrs in prison for saving my own life by wounding himsuperficially and then trying to getmedical assitance as soon as possible. This has cost me over $300k US

I do understand the stupid crap that can happens once a boundry has been passed and if the deceased did indeed physically attacked the leader of the band . He himself opened the door for the whatever could happen. I am sure he was not thinking foward and an apology and some compansation sounds as if it was in order for the disruption of their show.and livelyhood.

Death is extreme payment for "Drunk and stupid' but it happens everywhere all the time.as we remove the safety belts and walk the wire with our eyes closed and without the net of common sense.

Wishing the son a quick recovery and my condolences to the family for this unfortunate mishap resulting in the fathers death

I can only concur with you on Ozzies picking up the slack,but there are 23 million of us,and we're not all drunkards,well not all the time.

• Like 1

Some american acts like an idiot (which he was, it seems, maybe at the time regrettably) and now Thailand is to blame for his behavior and the reaction thereto?

My membership says "newby", but I've lived here for a long time; no problems. I've also visited the USA (New York) and have lived and worked in Africa; had no problems. I guess stay at home if you can't adopt.

Read posts 101

& 130

My real question is; Why does every-single-person ever arrested immediately confess?

50% sentence reduction on early plea. No big money or surname and unlikely to get a decent trial. Car batteries to the testicles usually solve such issues and allow the police to do some real work.

Cutting the arms off Karaoke girls who refuse them, torturing teenage motosai thieves to death by crushing their testicles, beating illiterate Burmese women to death with planks of wood and executing backpackers, for example. (all examples taken from news items over the last few years.)

If the detained person pleads guilty prior to police presenting evidence to the police prosecutor for drawing up charges you can negotiate monetary compensation, so the case doesn't proceed to Court. Compensation arrangements are "facilitated" for both Thais & foreigners. However based upon some recent cases of murder of foreigners by Thais, Thais have received lengthy jail sentences.

From Human Rights Asia report dated June 2013:

Despite repeated attempts by victims and human rights defenders to push the Thai government to take action to stop torture, to date they have not done so. The supposed independent institution tasked with redressing complaints of torture by state officials -- the National Anti-Corruption Commission -- lacks both the will and the capacity to complete carry out its work. The judiciary has actively foreclosed the rights of victims by allowing state officials who have had complaints of torture filed against them to press charges against victims for bringing the complaints. Source:

http://www.humanrights.asia/news/ahrc-news/AHRC-STM-117-2013

• Like 1

My God! Do you really believe the shit you post? Or just brainwashed?

SIC!

Yes. As the punishment for offenders is rather severe, isn't it?

MasterCard called! They want their race card back.

Of course i believe what i write,or i wouldn't write it.I also have a right to an opinion.Regarding severe punishment,this is what happens when egos,testosterone and alcohol mix.The Yank should not have put himself in that situation.

Hate to tell you this guys but this happens a lot in the USA. Go to some road house bar in the middle of nowhere with rednecks and bikers and see what happens. You better not look at anyone the wrong way or walk in as a stranger. Being from Texas where there is omly 1 bar every 50 miles I have seen many guys stabbed, dragged behind pickups and the like and some killed. The local law doesn't care or will take the time to investigate.

Great, you're talking about "locals" . . . but how many "tourists" get killed in this way over there?

Like I said you don't walk in the bar if you are a stranger or there will be hell to pay. I was local so they left me alone, I grew up with these idiots. This is one reason I moved to Thailand. I have been here 25 years and never saw an argument in a bar let alone a fight but I live in Chiang Mai, maybe that has something to do with it. Here the Thais and farang get along just fine from my experiences.

@jaideecm I agree. And it is not just about where you live, but attitude.

I condone mindless violence as much as I condone mindless posturing foreingers mouthing off, sober or otherwise.

Reading some of the posts here makes me think that a lot of those rednecks you mentioned have also moved to Thailand. People don't need to have spent as many years as me working with tourism to realise quite how jaded locals become after years of working with such people.

It is quite easy to enjoy life here without humiliating yourself and your fellow countrymen,

• Like 2

Refuse to pay a buck fifty cab fare and throw a paper cup at a taxi driver (allegedly) and get hacked up by a machete wielding cab driver. Help break up a bar fight and later get shot by the jackass involved in the fight. Refuse to stop singing and knock a tip box over and get stabbed to death in the stomach. Isn't their something a bit wrong with this picture?

Killing tourists and expats seems to solution for any "loss of face" nowadays. Has it always been this way or does it seem to be escalating?

If I had it to do over again, I really reconsider my decision to move here. But I've invested too much time, money, and have extended (Thai) family that I support...can't bail now. This is a dangerous place to live and to visit.

My condolences to the Carter family. I am very sorry for your loss.

Edited by connda

I find it ridiculous how so many posters in this forum routinely take something like this and turn it into a 'Thai vs. farang' thing. This is a case of drunk people (note: people, not Thai or farang) getting involved in a stupid bar fight that escelated to a point where someone was tragically killed. I worked in the bar business for 10 years and have seen similar incidents happen many times; 99% of the time they have nothing to do with race and everything to do with boozy aggression. They usually don't end up with someone getting killed but they very well can - and do - anywhere in the world. Incredible: a bar fight breaks out and someone gets killed - let's blame it all on Thai society!

mmmmm . . . can't speak about the USA or other countries, but I don't remember that many people getting stabbed, beaten or killed in any bar fights in the UK.

And as we are in Thailand, and it involved Thai + foreigners, surely it is indeed a Thai vs Farang thing? Yes, it's stupid, yes, it involved alcohol, but do you not think that (in most instances) it's the Thai's generally that take things too far and overreact to most things with violence in these situations?

(and before you say it, yes I'm generalising and oversimplifying things, but I think it's appropriate here)

What part of the UK were you living in? Drinking in Claridges or something. Do a bit of research and you'll see the extent of the Thursday, Friday and Saturday night alcohol fuelled violence in most UK city and town centers. Why do you think UK bars and pubs employ "bouncers". Nottingham and Gloucester were very dangerous places on those nights to name but two. As for Blackpool, Gt Yarmouth and Bournemouth - ever been out in one of these on a weekend night?

I feel vastly safer in Thailand than I do in most UK city and town centres.

• Like 2