American man killed in Krabi - son severely injured

webfact

Hate to tell you this guys but this happens a lot in the USA. Go to some road house bar in the middle of nowhere with rednecks and bikers and see what happens. You better not look at anyone the wrong way or walk in as a stranger. Being from Texas where there is omly 1 bar every 50 miles I have seen many guys stabbed, dragged behind pickups and the like and some killed. The local law doesn't care or will take the time to investigate.

But is the USA the land of smiles ?. As you point out perhaps it is not, BUT foreigners come to LOS thinking it is, well it is in many respects BUT perhaps not where Thai/farang/farang stuff meets.

• Like 2

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tragic outcome - when people behave like annoying , aggressive jerks ( ie by not getting off a stage), you have to figure that eventually they will get pay back ( but nonetheless, death is too much!)

Pay back, some payback? Thai's make a good living out of scamming tourists.

These guy's put money in the tip box and were invited to sing on stage; they were probably so pissed they thought they were paying to be part of the band for the rest of the night ! I'm sure the venue must have seen behaviour like this on many occassions, so staff should have dealt with them quickly by turfing them out onto the street and not getting into a fight around the back!

One really doesn't know who was to blame , but killing someone is going a bit far .

I dare say the Americans had had a few drinks and were in the party spirit .

My experience of Americans is that they can be very loud , arrogant and overbearing .

They may indeed have brought this on themselves .

Same can be said of Brits and almost any nationality except the Dutch these people are total angels.

• Like 1

This is INSANE ..... NO MERCY for those Thai jerks ... how can you kill for such infantile thing ... I guess they have nothing in the brain to react like this.

Au contraire, their brains are quite full of ethnic invincibility, territorial imperative, holier than thou moral superiority, and infallibility of the local.

• Like 2

There's a dead man, for sure, but the word 'murder' isn't appropriate unless malice aforethought can be proved. Those who took this life can be so charged but the word 'murder' is used way wrong way too often.

seriously, did they understand that the krabi locals DO NOT LIKE CERTAIN TYPES OF FARLANG. If you have lived or live there you will know LOS until checkbin in Krabi is a prime example ,and Thais losing face by being outstaged is not uncommon. Feel very bad for the youngster as this will scar his life forever. RIP a very sad story but readers take notes certainly if your green to Thailand, google losing face Wikipedia. I hope from some this comes some good. Tragic.

Hate to tell you this guys but this happens a lot in the USA. Go to some road house bar in the middle of nowhere with rednecks and bikers and see what happens. You better not look at anyone the wrong way or walk in as a stranger. Being from Texas where there is omly 1 bar every 50 miles I have seen many guys stabbed, dragged behind pickups and the like and some killed. The local law doesn't care or will take the time to investigate.

Great, you're talking about "locals" . . . but how many "tourists" get killed in this way over there?

And the operative phrase is "roadhouse in the middle of nowhere." This murder happened in a tourism destination.

And you, jaideecm, have implicated yourself as an accessory to many stabbings and murders in Texas if you failed to report them. Austin may be preparing a subpoena as you speak. Don't mess with Texas.

Edited by unanimosity
  • Like 1

Anybody in business here that right now it's the low, low of the low season.

Especially Krabi, It's seriously quiet there now.

I'm familiar with this place (sure prefer ol Don's Longhorn Saloon over this one), and probably this tip box was all the money those guys were going to make that night and it's pretty disrespectful to knock it to the ground and try and get your money back.

On the other side, the guys should've unplugged all their sh*t and sat down until the drunks had had enough.

Bad deal all the way around, quite a shame.

• Like 2

I would guess that alcohol played a big part in this unnecessary death. RIP the father and I hope the son recovers quickly.

the son will carry the scars for life of this event

Do you think he will be telling everyone what a lovely place Thailand is?

Sounds to me like the American’s tipped the band and could see nothing wrong with having fun and carrying on singing while the band was taking a break. When the band objected (why beats me) The American's thought they should get their tip back and in disgust left kicking over the tip box. The band members then followed the party outside the night club (so they were already leaving). An altercation occurred and we know the outcome.

The Police found a home made gun owned by someone in the band <deleted> was that doing at a night club?

The band member says he picked something up to defend himself and stabbed the Father, how did the son also get stabbed? Did he pick up an object or was a knife used? One would think this would be easily corroborated.....

All the members in the band had to do was jai yen yen, pick up the tip box and keep doing what they were being paid for, this should just NEVER have happened, alcohol sure but to stalk and kill someone??? DON"T FORGET THE GUN!!!

Obviously the bands main function was to keep the customers happy huh?

SORRY I am Thai bashing.............

Edited because it was in someone elses quote box, my apologies

Edited by RigPig

Great, you're talking about "locals" . . . but how many "tourists" get killed in this way over there?

Like I said you don't walk in the bar if you are a stranger or there will be hell to pay. I was local so they left me alone, I grew up with these idiots. This is one reason I moved to Thailand. I have been here 25 years and never saw an argument in a bar let alone a fight but I live in Chiang Mai, maybe that has something to do with it. Here the Thais and farang get along just fine from my experiences.

• Like 1

Sad story. Both sides are guilty: the thais because they killed that man, what was probably unnecessary and the americans because they were not in US, but in another foreign country (they should respect the band and don't try to get back the tip). Try to do it in the US! I saw some americans who think they rule the whole world...

But of course we don't know the whole story so don't judge anybody!

Conclusion: keep calm and don't drink too much if you can't handle yourself!

• Like 2

EVIL MEN FROM KRABI

Another feather in the cap for KRABI TOURISM where you get raped fro havin dinner with a guy and killed for singing Karaoke

Nice place

It's astonishing the way people LEAP to distort things without any concern for facts, as long as it serves to support their basic outlook: nothing in the article suggest that anyone was killed for singing karaoke. (And unfortunately it is hardly an exclusively Thai thing for people to be raped after having dinner with someone - or to be killed in a fight outside a bar, for that matter).

Well Said SteeleJoe.. Almost every comment in this thread is full of assumptions.. lets face it anyone who was not present doesn't actually know the truth of what happened.. I'm always stunned how so many posters on TV seem to have such a low opinion of Thai people.. and are so full of 'holier than thou' attitude.. so why are you here?

If there were as many Thais in European and the US pubs and bars behaving like so many drunken pig headed Farang do in bars in Thailand it would hardly be surprising to hear of fights, stabbings, deaths etc occurring in exactely the same way in reverse.. Then of course those same judges whose posts litter TV would no doubt still be blaming the Thais.

Tragic outcome - when people behave like annoying , aggressive jerks ( ie by not getting off a stage), you have to figure that eventually they will get pay back ( but nonetheless, death is too much!)

With a knife ? Come on. rolleyes.gif

ANYONE can be removed from a stage without resorting to possible death. coffee1.gif

They eventually got off the stage, it was the resulting ambush outside when the father was murdered. Some people are just scum.

Edited by Bluespunk

I lived in Thailand for a while and i saw many foreigners be not respectful to Thai people.

Also most of foreigners like to be drunk and often it become fight and bigger problems.

So yes someone died is too much but a fight that end with someone die is not the first i heard.

I think before judge someone we must wait for get more information about what really happened and hope a solution can be find for those kind of problems.

I don't like to go in place with many tourists in Thailand because they like to be drunk and can act stupid.

Also Thai people can think wrong about foreigners, so there is effort to be done from both sides.

• Like 2

Talking to staff from Longhorn earlier, they tell me the band member in question has stabbed people before. It was no case of self defence. Premeditated. The guy is a violent psycho and has plenty of form. The staff I talked with could not understand why the owner hadn't gotten rid of him, they said he was a time bomb.

• Like 2

Talking to staff from Longhorn earlier, they tell me the band member in question has stabbed people before. It was no case of self defence. Premeditated. The guy is a violent psycho and has plenty of form. The staff I talked with could not understand why the owner hadn't gotten rid of him, they said he was a time bomb.

considering the amount of violent crimes committed by nutters and criminals that already have a long criminal record, it seems pretty evident that the Thai judicial system needs to be tougher on the bad apples and bring out the trash.

I'm not bothered too much by the police taking bribes on crime related to illegal business but there should be no leniency on violent crimes.

I find it ridiculous how so many posters in this forum routinely take something like this and turn it into a 'Thai vs. farang' thing. This is a case of drunk people (note: people, not Thai or farang) getting involved in a stupid bar fight that escelated to a point where someone was tragically killed. I worked in the bar business for 10 years and have seen similar incidents happen many times; 99% of the time they have nothing to do with race and everything to do with boozy aggression. They usually don't end up with someone getting killed but they very well can - and do - anywhere in the world. Incredible: a bar fight breaks out and someone gets killed - let's blame it all on Thai society!

mmmmm . . . can't speak about the USA or other countries, but I don't remember that many people getting stabbed, beaten or killed in any bar fights in the UK.

And as we are in Thailand, and it involved Thai + foreigners, surely it is indeed a Thai vs Farang thing? Yes, it's stupid, yes, it involved alcohol, but do you not think that (in most instances) it's the Thai's generally that take things too far and overreact to most things with violence in these situations?

(and before you say it, yes I'm generalising and oversimplifying things, but I think it's appropriate here)

"it's the Thai's generally that take things too far and overreact to most things with violence in these situations?" I have spent countless hours in bars in Thailand over many years and I totally disagree with this comment.. I would say 9 times out of 10 it's drunken, often aggressive, Farangs that 'take things too far' as you put it..