Change of Visa Refused at Mae Sai

Because of the change in my financial situation and the strain on my marriage I today went to Mae Sai with all

necessary requirements to chainge from a Marriage Visa to Retirement Visa

Seeing that my current visa expires in April 2014 he refused point blank without asking any questions saying

to change when current visa expires.

No explaination was given

My oyjer option is to go out of the country. getting new 3 month O and starting again which I do not want to do

I find this decision strange

Edited by lopburi3
correct font

I find your situation a little hard to understand. The retirement visa has double the bank or income requirements than the marriage one. I cannot see what the problem is. If you and your wife divorce that is the time to do something or Next year whichever comes first.

• Like 1

OK, I guess this is the crux of the issue.

If you are on an annual extension based on marriage and in month 6 for example, you get divorced are you still allowed to stay out the full year on the existing extension now based on something not currently actual?

I had thought YES.

Which means you could use the full year and just apply using a DIFFERENT reason next time.

The alpha visa gurus should be coming along shortly ...

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Yeah, I'd try to persuade her to delay the divorce until next extension time ... coffee1.gif

OK, this is an academic question. I'm curious that way.

Supposing someone on a one year marriage extension got divorced in month 6 and just didn't say anything.

So then a month out from expiration, he applies for a new extension based on retirement.

I assume the officer would probably ask, so you're not married anymore?

So if he said no, would that actually be a serious legal problem or would they just process the retirement application?

Edited by Jingthing

In some immigration offices the officer wants the wife to sign a document to acknowledge that she is aware that her husband is changing the reason for extension of stay from marriage to retirement. After a divorce, this can of course not be a requirement because at that point there is no longer a wife in the picture.

Yeah, I'd try to persuade her to delay the divorce until next extension time ... coffee1.gif

OK, this is an academic question. I'm curious that way.

Supposing someone on a one year marriage extension got divorced in month 6 and just didn't say anything.

So then a month out from expiration, he applies for a new extension based on retirement.

I assume the officer would probably ask, so you're not married anymore?

So if he said no, would that actually be a serious legal problem or would they just process the retirement application?

It would be overstay from date of divorce (when they find out) and require that payment and new visa entry for extension. As said you may well be asked to have wife present for any such change - I was -and the only exception would have required a medical certificate that she could not attend (this after discussions with two different captain rank officials). The reasoning was as a joint property marriage country the other party was required to have knowledge of any change in your status (you may be planning a divorce and clearing out the bank accounts) so they want spouse signature of understanding there is a change being made. That said I am sure others have not had as much of an issue.

Extension ends the day the reason for that extension ends so in the event of divorce it will end immediately. But that would be the day to change.

That is my understanding aswel, it says " every change in situation brings along canceling of Visa" , I had to sign this kind of document at BKK Immigration a few years back, not sure still of actuality.

Let us know

He does not have to get the divorce. He can leave Thailand at any time. This will cancel his current stay and he can get any other visa and re-enter. He should make sure the money is seasoned if necesscary. He can then apply for the retirement extension normally. His wife has nothing to do with it.

• Like 1