Firearms/handguns

SidJames

What is the law in Thailand covering the ownership & the carrying of handguns over here?

Are the laws different for Thais & non-Thais?

I know a lot of farmers have simple rifles much the same the world over on that one.

I do mean handguns.

SJ

As far as I know, foreigners can't own a gun of any kind. Thais require a permit (background checks etc) to own and possess a gun in their home, and another stricter permit for carrying it into a built-up area.

As far as I know, foreigners can't own a gun of any kind. Thais require a permit (background checks etc) to own and possess a gun in their home, and another stricter permit for carrying it into a built-up area.

Not true, foreigners can own firearms in Thailand. There was an article on TV last year about changes to the law, but foreign applicants restricted to finances and work permit I believe. However, to get a permit to carry, that will be nearly impossible.

The below is a foreigner's experience of obtaining a firearm here (he is a PR). This is from 2010............

1. Complete the Por.1 form at your local office. You have to specify the type, caliber, and the province of the gun shop you intend to buy from registered. ie. " A .38 revolver from gun shop in Bangkok" of "A .22 rifle"

2. Get the Por.3, the buying permit

3. Use the Por.3 to buy the gun at the nominated shop

4. Get the Por.4, the gun license. The shop will usually help you with this.

Remarks

1. You have to go through the same process each time you get a new gun.

2. You cannot really carry it around. However in practice you can carry an unloaded concealed conceal gun WITH a copy of license, to the shooting range during a reasonable time of the day. You cannot borrow a gun from a friend or partner, even if they live in the same house.

3. The gun license lasts for a life time (which may be a short time if you go totting it around in public).

Documents required

1. A Thai citizen who has registered at one certain address for at least 6 months.

2. 20 years of age or over.

3. Standard document ID / Resident registration.

4. Evidence of employment.

5. Evidence of asset such as copy of bank account etc.

6. Other documents the officer may ask for:

For a foreigner, actually, there is a channel to buy a gun in your name. You have to go through the same process with extra documents:

1. Recommendation letter from your embassy of your stay, work and need to get a gun.

2. Recommendation letter from Thai government agency.

Disclaimer to the above, this was his experience, not mine and I believe the rules for foreign ownership have changed from 2010...............

I knew a guy who was a farang and body guard in Thailand had a gun.

Unfortunately I can't ask him more details because he passed away (by natural cause, I think stroke).

So unless he lied (which I don't think) there is a way to get a legal gun.

Regardless or not whether a non Thai can get a permit if you shot a Thai, permit or not, your either going down for years, beaten to death by the family or paying millions of baht to get yourself out of here.

Maybe true. but in some circumstances it is the alternative to being murdered on the spot.

And I do not believe that if you used one in self defense in a clear cut case of the thai being a criminal bent on harming you that you would be locked up or killed by their family out of hand. Nor do I believe you will be liable for millions of baht. Even thailand recognizes that some folks are evil and killing them in self defense isn't a crime. Or at least I hope it is that civilized.

The cannot carry part can be circumvented as you can 'transported' (ie unloaded with bullets in another bag) to and from home / places of work / range, so for example to visit Pattaya from Bangkok, I could pop down to the range and have a receipt of my visit to the range handy should I be stopped at a police checkpoint on the way back to Bangkok.

Other than being in employ of the Government, permit to carry is rarely issued. The proper carry permit needs to be signed by the ministry of the interior, it's possible if you know the right people. One thing is government employee gets subsidized handgun purchase, some at half the price compared to what normal people would be charge, and it's available to all govt employee even teachers can buy it, so if you know someone, you can make an arrangement to have the gun in their name, but the gun won't be able to be transferred to your name for a number of years

Regardless or not whether a non Thai can get a permit if you shot a Thai, permit or not, your either going down for years, beaten to death by the family or paying millions of baht to get yourself out of here.

Maybe true. but in some circumstances it is the alternative to being murdered on the spot.

And I do not believe that if you used one in self defense in a clear cut case of the thai being a criminal bent on harming you that you would be locked up or killed by their family out of hand. Nor do I believe you will be liable for millions of baht. Even thailand recognizes that some folks are evil and killing them in self defense isn't a crime. Or at least I hope it is that civilized.

The poor guy only has 11 posts,maybe not to experienced,just reads threads of anti Thai farangs lol lol

What is the law in Thailand covering the ownership & the carrying of handguns over here?

Are the laws different for Thais & non-Thais?

I know a lot of farmers have simple rifles much the same the world over on that one.

I do mean handguns.

SJ

As far as protecting one,s self in your own home,from intruders,a simple 1 meter machette,that can cut paper is sufficient.Also a meat chopper,tazer or a can of mace is adequate too.

Protecting oneself outside the home,is not so important,a beer bottle or a smack in the throat is sufficient for any size <deleted>.

• Like 2

You should check the "search " function as this topic as well as others that closely are related to this subject have been covered and debated ( and possibly some that are still going on..) for several years.

From my understanding, yes, a foreigner can possess a weapon under a work permit only. Very restrictive.

Realistically,

Gun- foreigner-bad.

Advise

Make friends with the mafia guys in your village.

( 1500- took me over 5+ yrs )

Best way is to go to your local police station with your passport, work permit & house registry doc or letter from your landlord stating you live where you are claiming because you will need a document from them, then go to any firing range (they are all over the place) there's one at Bira racing circuit (go in to the go kart track area and its on your left) take some lessons with them then they can apply for the license for you and even advise on where to buy from (I have seen a few gun shops in Bangkok)

You will need to carry the license every time you transport or use the gun(s). The full arm of the law will still apply to you so you cant go around threatening or shooting people!!!

A friend of mine has a gun collection and we go to the range often, my favorite is the M4 but rounds can become quite expensive.

Bless.

sad people and cowards use guns........

And 'alive' people.coffee1.gif

Had a similar question when I was working in Kampala; seemed almost everyone was carrying. After a chat with the local police chief (Old Kampala police station - what a setting for a Hemingway novel) I came to the following conclusions, a most of the people carrying were not a threat(just because someone has a gun does not mean they know how to use it - by that I mean actually hit something,0 and if the situation ever arose where I needed one I could always "borrow" it from the person nearest.

Farangs with guns...that will make things safer...rolleyes.gif alt=rolleyes.gif>

Certainly a reasonable concept, as in the USA, nearly anyone can own a gun, yet the US has half the gun deaths of Thailand. http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

The cannot carry part can be circumvented as you can 'transported' (ie unloaded with bullets in another bag) to and from home / places of work / range, so for example to visit Pattaya from Bangkok, I could pop down to the range and have a receipt of my visit to the range handy should I be stopped at a police checkpoint on the way back to Bangkok.

Other than being in employ of the Government, permit to carry is rarely issued. The proper carry permit needs to be signed by the ministry of the interior, it's possible if you know the right people. One thing is government employee gets subsidized handgun purchase, some at half the price compared to what normal people would be charge, and it's available to all govt employee even teachers can buy it, so if you know someone, you can make an arrangement to have the gun in their name, but the gun won't be able to be transferred to your name for a number of years

Now I wonder why so many police officers holster toys - some plastic, some just plastic pellet pistols.

• Like 1

Part of the vetting procedure is a local investigation via village heads or town administrators to establish is you have any enemies, if you do then the permission to buy a gun is likely to be denied. As one of the principle justifications to get a gun is to protect money.valuables stored at home, once a gun permit is issued and word will spread is makes you a more interesting target than the average farang household.

A gun is a bad thing in the wrong hands as it is so easy to kill the wrong person. A friend would love a huge calibre handgun that easily punches holes through two household walls, and on talking to him about it's use he said he would fire-first if woken by someone banging on his windows at 2am, I asked what his actions would be after shooting the person who was attempting to wake him as they saw his house was on fire? Sleepy heads and guns mix badly. Know your backdrop before aligning sights and only then does your finger come off the trigger guard onto the trigger.

A machete is a close combat weapon and with the swing, assuming your target is not stationary, you get one stroke.

When people claim that they seek a gun what they often need is a dog, if they must have a gun with intent to shoot a person and hit them then they need to train with that weapon weekly. A blank firing "starting pistol" makes the right noise and will scare of the chancer house burglary, but externally mounted and seen CCTV systems (functioning, fake and decoy) that I've explained in this forum before are a better way of making a person choose the house down the street.

We are rural and have guns in the family on the farming side and police side.

C'mon Cuban,

you know you can't go around making sensible,well thought out and intelligent posts like that on TV!,

only hate mongering,distortion and hang 'em high posts allowed! :)

but seriously OP listen to this man,he knows what he's talking about.

.....you know you can't go around making sensible,well thought out and intelligent posts like that on TV!,

only hate mongering,distortion and hang 'em high posts allowed! smile.png

As the OP is Pattaya based, I would have thought that is the last place that concealed handguns should be carried by anyone, sometimes police included.

I make up for such posts with my irreverent contributions here: Rayong Oil Spill.

And I even get a few posts deleted for some of my more forthright comments. blink.png

• Like 1

Just 2 questions...

1: Does this apply to the Steel Ball/compressed air pistols and Rifles too?

2: If you Buy across the Border... What are the issues returning with it to Thailand? What are the steps to take to do this totally Legal? As there are some extremely good buys to be had outside of Thailand. I just don't want to be a Patsy and have it removed from my person, returned to the same shop to be sold again. While I am sitting in Jail some where. partytime2.gif Thus the fruits of my expendature are being shared by Shop Owner drunk.gif and Immigration at the local Village Bar....burp.gif

• Like 1

Part of the vetting procedure is a local investigation via village heads or town administrators to establish is you have any enemies, if you do then the permission to buy a gun is likely to be denied. As one of the principle justifications to get a gun is to protect money.valuables stored at home, once a gun permit is issued and word will spread is makes you a more interesting target than the average farang household.

Why would word "spread" once a permit is issued? Do the police go around telling everyone that you own a gun?

1: Does this apply to the Steel Ball/compressed air pistols and Rifles too?

2: If you Buy across the Border... What are the issues returning with it to Thailand? What are the steps to take to do this totally Legal? As there are some extremely good buys to be had outside of Thailand. I just don't want to be a Patsy....

I might be awake but I'm not calling BIL to ask him at this time in the morning, he is BiB, an enforcer and not a legal advisor although I often use him as such. As you will be well aware that what is law and what is enforced varies depending on the situation and who in involved.

My understanding is what we from Europe and the US will call an air-rifle or air-pistol with a muzzle energy of <12F/lbs (~16 Joules) requires the issuing of a firearms licence in Thailand BEFORE purchase. I found the following link that provides a write up in English. At each stage it will be the Thai governmental employee's opinion about whether you pass that particular criteria and not yours.

Buying something useful outside Thailand and bringing in across border or via an airport will bring more attention than you might wish for regardless of where your fines will be spent. This will apply equally to a Thai national bring back a gun without a licence in place.

I found this related thread back in 2008, there will be many others on this subject. My feeling is that if you are responsible enough and suitability connected then legal gun ownership is possible. However IMHO most people will fail one of the hoops that are put in place to prevent weapons falling into the wrong hands, and this equally means perceived farang that has a reputation of being seen drinking (I have a few locals in mind that often talk about gun ownership but IMO are not responsible people.) for example, being a farang is a wild card that will invite different interruption of rules based on the whims of the people signing off your case or for many the lack of a job & salary will be a sticking point.

Of the Thais I know with legal guns, most are police and others respected farmer types. Of the two farang that I recall that I have met that have legal Thai firearms licenses both work in the security sector and are politically well connected through their jobs.

IMHO it's daft to own illegal guns in Thailand, although Thai forensics might not match up to CSI standards but the profiling of any barrel for striations and the firing pin/rim-fire impact is very well established and not rocket science, enough so that you would not want a gun with an unknown back history.

The issue comes when people start talking about using guns to shoot dogs etc etc. This will cause local Thais to report you and the weapon removed permanently.

There are many BB guns that are sold both air powered and electric also paint-ball guns that do not raise undue police attention, when used on private land. The moment you are shooting on public land or land not OWNED by you (yes through family etc etc) then the police will be interested.

If you look on other Thai related forum sites there are write ups with the bicycle pumped air-rifles that fire ~22 calibre steel ball bearings, my understanding is that these should be licensed. (You require a licence for each weapon held, the ones I've used belonging to someone else were not licensed, but for the person involved it will unlikely cause a problem, I've used these guns on public land and been seen by locals going about their business most know me and wouldn't dream of "reporting" me for the offence, I do have a good local reputation and a connected family.. YMMV.)

Catapults, slingshots and some BB guns are sold an many weekly markets in market towns.

Pump-up air rifles are sold in many cities, talk to the hunting and campy shops. Those places with proper gun shops will be sick of farang coming in asking the same questions so have an automatic turn away response. Going in with a current licence holder will gain a more serious response.

Why would word "spread" once a permit is issued? Do the police go around telling everyone that you own a gun?

There are occasions that I might take the dogs on a different route for their morning walk, this might well be the highlight of the day and filter it's way to my wife, who does not care either way but reflects the nature of gossip. Particularly if you live in a rural setting whenever you get involved with a government office there will be an element of interest in what the farang is doing.

I get asked (kindly) what I'm buying whenever I go to the market. Often this is the lead-in to "oh you bought chicken for your dogs? Would you like some pineapples too?". I suggest the back ground checks that will be required for your licence will be a matter of interest locally .

Well you are a time traveller whistling.gif

Edited by Cuban

The poor guy only has 11 posts,maybe not to experienced,just reads threads of anti Thai farangs lol lol

Yes, much better to have 1800 posts and be cynical. I would rather go with his assessment of right & wrong rather than yours. 1800 negative comments can be overcome by 1 positive comment.

-snip-

As far as protecting one,s self in your own home,from intruders,a simple 1 meter machette,that can cut paper is sufficient.Also a meat chopper,tazer or a can of mace is adequate too.

Protecting oneself outside the home,is not so important,a beer bottle or a smack in the throat is sufficient for any size &lt;deleted&gt;.

Never bring a knife or a beer bottle to a gun fight. thumbsup.gif

Yes you can get a license. TIT. I have one, and the gun, along with another one is at the home of a good farang friend in LOS. Both guns are registered to both of us.

Get two brown envelopes. One is for a high ranking police officer who you know through friends, and the other is for the local Amphur. The officer will get the Amphur to assure you get your license. With that completed, go and buy your gun. Then you take that gun to whoever in your locale is in charge of such things, and they will engrave that gun with your new license number. Only people with a license to use that engraved gun may use it.

When you fill out the paperwork, your reason is self defense. That's a legit reason under Thai law.

Thailand is a very dangerous place and I never walk around unarmed.

Up to you.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Lots of interesting posts with many points of view. I've been asked by my stateside friends if I was going to get a gun. My reply is that I carried one as part of my safety equipment on the job and had no need of one in Thailand since I left that profession.

For anyone seeking to possess or carry, etc., there is a great amount of liability that goes along with it. Frankly, many people are not prepared to use a firearm to stop a threat or to keep someone for taking it away and using against them. It takes training and knowing the your personal limits, the justification to use deadly force and the consequences of using it.

Getting back to the OP, good luck if getting a permit is your intention. If you are successful, please remember:

All guns are always loaded.

Don't point your muzzle at anything you don't intend to destroy

Keep you finger off of the trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to fire.

Know your target and what's behind it.

I feel less a risk in Pattaya than I ever did back home in California and don't miss packing. Stay safe everyone. :)

• Like 1

Farangs with guns...that will make things safer...rolleyes.gif alt=rolleyes.gif>

Certainly a reasonable concept, as in the USA, nearly anyone can own a gun, yet the US has half the gun deaths of Thailand. http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

Now I wonder why so many police officers holster toys - some plastic, some just plastic pellet pistols.

I was truely shocked by the figure quoted for thailand versus usa, even before considering the difference in population!

Does anyone know how reputable this website is and whether the numbers for thailand include deaths due to the insurgencey?