Explosion at Phuket Provincial Hall, bomb suspected

webfact

Also, Paiboon was also quoted in that report as saying they will now install CCTV around there, so apparently they didn't have any -- or enough -- prior to this.

The explosion was the second top story in a teaser for the national news tonight on channel 3, after the latest bombing in Bannang Sata, Yala.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Explosion happened today at 2pm. One hour later already comes the statement:

Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Saneh Yawila said, "We do not think it was politically motivated."

Enlighten us, oh Unparalleled Provincial Police Deputy Commander, how and why do you know this so fast?

Chalerm called from Bangkok and told him....

They can already tell it wasn't politically motivated, that they know

..... but as the headline reads, a bomb? .... they only suspect that.....

Mensa Candidates

Edited by Gonzo the Face

The international news agencies and worldwide tourists won't care tuppence what the motivation behind this bombing was. They know there is political unrest/religious terrorism in the country and all they'll care about are the words 'Bomb' & 'Phuket'

This has got to be [another] blow to Phuket's tourist industry surely

PS - no Shirley jokes please [heard them all b4]

The news about this incident in regards to international coverage will be a wait and see. I suspect a short coverage on it only because

A. Luckily no one was killed. If this incident was as bad as the bali bombings the coverage would be everyday.

Also by the way with all the violence in the south how come thats not more heard about.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Explosion happened today at 2pm. One hour later already comes the statement:

Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Saneh Yawila said, "We do not think it was politically motivated."

Enlighten us, oh Unparalleled Provincial Police Deputy Commander, how and why do you know this so fast?

Chalerm called from Bangkok and told him....

They can already tell it wasn't politically motivated, that they know

..... but as the headline reads, a bomb? .... they only suspect that.....

Mensa Candidates

Chalerm - yes, I can see it now...

One wonders though, why do Bad Things happen in Thailand, what with a plethora of Super Heroes abounding?

There is Chalerm the Uncanny, Yingluck the Simple, Transport Minister Faster Than Light, the newly discovered Unparalleled Police Commander, Amulet Cop, and I am sure many more...

Edited by klauskunkel

I decideda long time ago I would never visit this overpriced dump taxi thugs Russian hookers over priced bars, the place makes Pattaya almost look civilised, but of course nothing could really do that

The news about this incident in regards to international coverage will be a wait and see. I suspect a short coverage on it only because

A. Luckily no one was killed. If this incident was as bad as the bali bombings the coverage would be everyday.

Also by the way with all the violence in the south how come thats not more heard about.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Surely TAT do not want any news printed on the daily carnage and murders that take place in Thailand. anyway they are just drug gangs and dont forget a truce is in place,

UPDATE:
Police speculate 'internal conflict' in homemade bomb blast

Salinee Prab
The Nation

30211700-01_big.jpg

PHUKET: -- A small homemade time bomb planted in a garbage can went off yesterday afternoon near the Phuket Provincial Administrative Organisation office, but no injuries were reported. Only five official vehicles nearby were slightly damaged.

Police suspect that the motive was not to kill anyone but to threaten someone, possibly due to an internal conflict.

Paiboon Upatising, president of the Phuket PAO, claimed there was no discord within the organisation, whether over procurement or budget spending, and the PAO election had been over a long time ago, so it was unlikely that politics was involved.

Some people might be upset about the results of the recent bidding for space concessions, but the process was transparent, he said.

Police were alerted to the explosion near the PAO office within the Phuket City Hall complex in Tambon Talad Yai of Muang district at around 2pm.

Pol Col Saneh Kawila, deputy Phuket police chief, said police would continue to investigate this case, which should not concern tourism.

Security in the complex would be beefed up, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-02

It is because they don't think. That's what he said and I believe him. Why think? It is better to just to say what you have been told to say. No thought necessary. rolleyes.gifcoffee1.gif. hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.will come later.

UPDATE:

Police speculate 'internal conflict' in homemade bomb blast

Salinee Prab

The Nation

x30211700-01_big.jpg.pagespeed.ic.yXJq18

PHUKET: -- A small homemade time bomb planted in a garbage can went off yesterday afternoon near the Phuket Provincial Administrative Organisation office, but no injuries were reported. Only five official vehicles nearby were slightly damaged.

Police suspect that the motive was not to kill anyone but to threaten someone, possibly due to an internal conflict.

Paiboon Upatising, president of the Phuket PAO, claimed there was no discord within the organisation, whether over procurement or budget spending, and the PAO election had been over a long time ago, so it was unlikely that politics was involved.

Some people might be upset about the results of the recent bidding for space concessions, but the process was transparent, he said.

Police were alerted to the explosion near the PAO office within the Phuket City Hall complex in Tambon Talad Yai of Muang district at around 2pm.

Pol Col Saneh Kawila, deputy Phuket police chief, said police would continue to investigate this case, which should not concern tourism.

Security in the complex would be beefed up, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-08-02

which should not concern tourism? I suppose it's too late to be concerned after being killed by a bomb?

Phuket bombing 'civilian scare tactic'
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The bomb blast at Phuket Provincial Hall yesterday (story here) was designed to frighten officials, and was likely not intended to kill anyone, Phuket Provincial Administrative Organization (PPAO) President Paiboon Upatisin said.

“The rising price of rental land might be the motive for the blast. Although actually, we don’t really have problems with anyone,” President Paiboon said, mulling the motive.

Deputy Commander of the Phuket Provincial Police Saneh Yawila confirmed to the Phuket Gazette that the explosion was from a civilian-made time bomb.

“At this stage, we believe that it is just a threat, rather than an attempt to take lives. The bomber, or bombers, set the detonation time for 2pm. If they had wanted to ensure bloodshed, they would have set the bomb to explode at a busier time, like lunch hour or in the evening as people were getting off work,” Col Saneh said.

Police are continuing their investigation and searching for the bomber.

“In light of this incident, we will increase security at the Provincial Hall,” Col Saneh added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-bombing-civilian-scare-tactic-21837.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-02

• Like 1

Just by chance my wife was talking to the driver of that minibus yesterday (he was doing some tree cutting for us on his day off). He usually sleeps in the van while waiting for passengers but fortunately he had the day off on the bomb day. He says that the bomb was all about an internal money dispute in the Administrative Office.

Just by chance my wife was talking to the driver of that minibus yesterday (he was doing some tree cutting for us on his day off). He usually sleeps in the van while waiting for passengers but fortunately he had the day off on the bomb day. He says that the bomb was all about an internal money dispute in the Administrative Office.

Not surprising at all. But when is the "government" around here, going to stand up to the "mafias"around here? Probably when I move or die...

Not surprising at all. But when is the "government" around here, going to stand up to the "mafias"around here? Probably when I move or die...

"Probably when I move or die" - probably when everyone has moved away from here, and those that have stayed, die, and are not replaced by new expat retirees.