You seriously dated someone who left school at the age of 13.

up2you2

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand your point, do you mean that other board members make naive, crass and uneducated statements about Thailand's educational system? I think the posts you quoted simply highlight the potential difficulties someone might face if they choose a spouse from a radically different socioeconomic group. You can't argue with that.

No, this isn't a thread about dating 13 year olds, rather those that left school at the age 13.

I thought that such a statement deserves a thread of it's own.

The original post to do it justice from another thread was:

(When was your last holiday in the west where you had everything done for you be a local girl that left school at age 13?)

Back to school here on the spelling I'm afraid - Ed.

and it gets better with another post in the same vain:

How many in the West would marry a girl who dropped out of school at 13?

Why would anyone do that here? By the way, my wife has a computer science degree -- that probably makes a difference.

There but for the grace of God, go I.

So what's my point.

I couldn't believe that these individuals, would make such naive, crass, uneducated statements.

Thailand is an agrarian country, and it's only since we entered the present century, that the women have come out of the rice fields.

Free compulsory education in the UK up to 16 years of age came into force in 1972.

By comparison free education in Thailand was only up to the age of 12 years, as late as 2002.

Only in August 2002 was it increased to 16.

The 1999 National Education Act also legislates that compulsory education shall be extended from six to nine years and shall be completely undertaken within the year 2002:

http://www.unesco.org/education/wef/countryreports/thailand/rapport_1.html

So that makes the said computer scientist wife only 23 or younger - lucky guy.

No.

If she is older than 23, by default this means she was privately educated, along with the other 10% of the population.

Whilst the other 90% were condemned to work in the rice fields, because free state education was only up 12 years of age.

Ing

I don't know about you, but when I got off the plane for the first time at Don Mueang Airport, I was inundated with post graduate Thai girls wai-ing and presenting me with garlands.

On arriving down town, everywhere I went I couldn't help bumping into girls that had MBA's, Ph.D's etc.

In fact I thought I had just walked onto the game show University Challenge.

i think if you would take the time to look on google you wil find that modern day Thailand is much more than rice farming nowadays ,so apperently you and youre so called girlfriend have a phd or masters degree in the sun shines out of our <deleted> from the uni of make believe.
  • Like 2

I don't know about you, but when I got off the plane for the first time at Don Mueang Airport, I was inundated with post graduate Thai girls wai-ing and presenting me with garlands.

Which team did you play for? ManU, Liverpool, Real Madrid...

• Like 2

I think in the west a lot men marry uneducated women. Else there would be lot singles.

Most men marry girls who are better educated than they are, thanks to their dilligence in school. In the West, we are kindly blessed with an ample supply of young men to whom education would not stick were it applied with a wallpaper brush

SC

• Like 2

What was the point of them getting Post graduate degrees, if all they use it for, was to greet tourists at the Airport with garlands ?

How did you know they had these degrees by the way, was it stamped on their foreheads ?

This thread has made me laugh out loud many times.

Not sure what the point is.

Though if he's saying he can't understand why a guy would date a girl who dropped out of school at age 13 then I might just agree with him...I wouldn't either.

I like to be able to have some sort of intelligent conversation with someone I'm dating.

Though I suspect that's not what he is saying.

• Like 1

I feel the OP is out of order with this contention.

He seems to be taking delight in denigrating people who were denied a full education through no fault of their own, through an accident of birth.

If he's not doing that, then he is certainly attempting to denigrate people that see beyond this disadvantage and marry these people for who they are, not for how well educated they are.

I regard that as snobbery.

Gawd forbid I ever go through life looking down on people because they were born at a "disadvantage" to me.

In Scotland we have a saying " A Man's a Man for A'That ".

I find that a far better way to conduct my life than the reprehensible undertone to your Original Post.

There. but for an accident of birth, go you.

The OP is hard to understand, but I think he is having a go at people who have said those things on another thread.

I think in this instance, as so often, speculation is futile

SC

Most likely the OP tries to point out that he does not understand why an, reasonably or highly ,educated person looses his mind completely, in his opinion, when the said person ends up with an uneducated, basic school till age of 13, other in Thailand.

SC, fwiw, the guy does seem to have an axe to grind from another thread. Not sure why you've linked us to an obscure thread on Thugby League, a game I'm surrounded by almost 24/7. Granted, it does seem tailormade for folks who leave 'skool' at 13 ........

Gotta love the 'pervert' calls in this thread - the OP tried to make it clear that he wasnt suggesting anyone marry a 13-year old, but clearly some of us have an axe of their own. Your only a pervert if they actually catch you putting lipstick on that sheep, right ?

• Like 1

In Thailand some families might stop sending a 13 year old or some other age girl to school simply because they do not have the money for tuition, clothes, books, etc. In some of those cases they also figure, with looks like hers, she will have no problem snagging a wealthy husband anyway.

Thai Uni degrees are ok for a photo opportunity, when one of the royals hands you something , other than that, pretty much a waste of time.

My sister in law went to school for years, left at 23, did she get a great job, no, yes she's got a job, but, she could have done that same job if she had left school at 12.

The Thai woman who left school at 13 (or earlier) isn't necessarily stupid or uneducatable. In some cases they left school because they has learnt to read and write and no one saw any point in more education. Before the First World War, the school-leaving age in England and Wales was 12.

• Like 2

On arriving down town, everywhere I went I couldn't help bumping into girls that had MBA's, Ph.D's etc.

In fact I thought I had just walked onto the game show University Challenge.

Darn it, I must have arrived in the wrong decade as I only came across taxi touts and a lot of "mister, mister, where you go?"

• Like 2

In Thailand some families might stop sending a 13 year old or some other age girl to school simply because they do not have the money for tuition, clothes, books, etc. In some of those cases they also figure, with looks like hers, she will have no problem snagging a wealthy husband anyway.

Thai or foreigner ?