American spy program uses Thai servers

webfact

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Realizing that there never has been anything private concerning the internet, this news is kind of dull.

Yes I imagine it would be for someone with those skills. Just curious - how long have you known now that all internet and telecommunications data have been intercepted and stored by the state for future retrieval? It's certainly news to me.

Let me think.... Ok. I was 17 when I was stationed in Iraklion Air Station, Crete, recording all sorts of "stuff". I am now 58. I would say 41 years. Of course, computers were not a common household item then. When the internet became popular, it was a no brainer that those communications would have to be monitored and stored as well.

• Like 1

"The idea that the US government is planning to intern masses of people has some history: In the 1980s, opponents of Ronald Reagan's Central America policy on the left thought that FEMA was planning a mass roundup of them just before the imminent U.S. invasion of "Nee-ka-hah-gua." Barely skipping a beat, it became a theory on the right-wing black helicopter/militia circuit in the '90s, among Alex Jones followers and truthers in the 2000s, and today by the more insane opponents of the Obama administration."

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/FEMA_concentration_camps

• Like 1

I don't want the governments screwing my privacy with the excuse of protecting me, I would trade my "security" for freedom any day (even if it wasn't BS).

Snowden just did what everyone should be doing, if the governments agencies were ethical then whistleblowers wouldn't exist. And all those privacy vulnerations aren't worth at all, look at all the terrorist attacks (Oh yes, it could be worse if there weren't any spy agencies investigating in our private lives lol). Maybe what it needs to be done is start revising some countries foreign policies like starting wars for getting control of regions or the goods in those regions.

• Like 2

Sorry, are you saying that Snowden didn't do the private citizens being spied on - like yourself - a favour? The misuse of intelligence gathering apparatus is spying on everyone - with no individual court orders ... everyoe is a suspect, and this is just fine with you, is it? The government and the security agencies are the criminals here, not the guy who tells everyone that this vile program is being conducted by an obviously paranoid govt.

I consider Mr. Snowden to be a true American and Patriot who made a huge personal sacrifice for his beliefs. Unltimately, I hope, he will be judged in a positive light.

I am more concerned about the hundreds of thousands of people who might be less patriotic, who have access to top secret intelligence gathering apparatus who might be using it for their own means. I suspect TSA personnel may be more highly vetted than those in the employ of the NSA and its partners. But at least they're just snoozing or stealing.

SA Workers Allegedly Stealing From Passengers and Sleeping on Duty

More outrage over the agency that is supposed to be keeping air travel safe.
02:34 | 07/30/2013
Half of Sleeping TSA Workers Get Little Punishment: GAO
By Jeff Plungis - 2013-07-31T15:36:49Z
The U.S. Transportation Security Administration isn’t consistent in disciplining workers accused of misconduct, penalizing some with little evidence while not imposing minimum sanctions on others, an audit concluded.
Half of workers accused of sleeping on the job received less than the lowest penalty called for by agency policies, the Government Accountability Office said in a report released yesterday. A House Homeland Security subcommittee is holding a hearing today on how the agency disciplines employees.
  • Like 1

Let me think.... Ok. I was 17 when I was stationed in Iraklion Air Station, Crete, recording all sorts of "stuff". I am now 58. I would say 41 years. Of course, computers were not a common household item then. When the internet became popular, it was a no brainer that those communications would have to be monitored and stored as well.

Operation Shamrock began during WWII:

Operation Shamrock was a covert, domestic intelligence gathering operation that monitored telegraph communications. Shamrock began as a military intelligence program during World War II, but continued until the 1970s. The operation sparked controversy when details of Shamrock were leaked to the public after a government investigation in 1975. The government investigative committee claimed that Shamrock intended to monitor only messages that posed a threat to national security, but that it had free access to all wire traffic.

Some contend that our "Surveillance State" began during the Lincoln administration:
In 1862, after President Abraham Lincoln appointed him secretary of war, Edwin M. Stanton penned a letter to the president requesting sweeping powers, which would include total control of the telegraph lines. By rerouting those lines through his office, Stanton would keep tabs on vast amounts of communication, journalistic, governmental and personal. On the back of Stanton’s letter Lincoln scribbled his approval: “The Secretary of War has my authority to exercise his discretion in the matter within mentioned.”

It is a pity that NSA , MI6 or FSB have to waste their valuable resources spying on individuals.

I have nothing to hide that may endanger USA, GB or RF respectively.

Therefore in a true spirit of co-operation I am volunteering to help and hereby authorize these organisations to access my personal information:

X-Rays results; Blood tests results, MRI scan results, tax declarations. The only thing they will have to do on their own is Proctoscopy.

• Like 2

Let me tell you about insecurity and world domination Mr wealth.

When I lived and worked in Beijing I lived in constant fear of being visited by the Chinese Communist Party.

I have no fear in Thailand or the good old United Kingdom or the US of A.

are you aware that Mao was installed by the elite? David Rockefeller called it a huge success after 70 million people were starved to death or killed by other means?

Ask yourself, on what is the feeling of your "security" based on?

Rubbish.

• Like 1

It seems strange that people still think of the internet as they would think of, for example, the U.S. Mail. The internet is an open, world-wide system. Very few laws exists for your protection.You are warned openly that your information is not secure when you are in public places, such as airports. I am reading posts that say, "I have a right to privacy on the internet". Please provide me details on this guarantee of privacy. What countries abide by your plea for privacy? What international court of law would you go to when your privacy has been invaded? Sending private mail on a wild joyride throughout the world wide net, and then complaining that somebody might read something that you wrote is kind of childish. Remember the old days when international telephone calls are used to be transmitted by short wave? Did anyone ever go to jail for tuning in to your conversation? You can encode your email, if you think that your personal space is being invaded. Thats fine. But please stop expecting the world to bend over backwards to protect your precious correspondence.

• Like 2

There is a lot of interesting detail in that Xkeyscore Powerpoint, and that's from five years ago (2008).

"Show me all VPN start-ups in Country X, and give me the data so I can decrypt and discover the users"

"Sometimes a delicate balance of mission and research" (no mention of privacy of course)

With over 4 million people in the U.S. with top-secret security clearance, 500,000 of whom are private contractors, many of whom have been vetted by private contractors, you can bet there will be a lot more leaks and mis-use of intelligence gathering apparatus, in the future unless an example is made of Mr. Snowden, i.e. terminating his life.

Sorry, are you saying that Snowden didn't do the private citizens being spied on - like yourself - a favour? The misuse of intelligence gathering apparatus is spying on everyone - with no individual court orders ... everyoe is a suspect, and this is just fine with you, is it? The government and the security agencies are the criminals here, not the guy who tells everyone that this vile program is being conducted by an obviously paranoid govt.

Snowden took more than domestic NSA programs.

National security authorities have said Snowden took just about everything, to include how U.S. national security agencies get their intelligence about terrorists abroad, CCP-PRC military capabilities and cyber spying, Russian spying on the U.S., North Korean nuclear and missile capabilities and much more.

Snowden took much, much more than he needed to if he'd been determined only to focus on the domestic aspects of his beef against the government. Snowden took national security information and techniques the U.S. government uses to protect the United States against terrorist attacks from abroad in the United States.

You are welcome to focus on the domestic aspects of Snowden's revelations. I'm greatly concerned about all the additional information and techniques beyond that that, for whatever reasons, Snowden took that is useful only to the enemies of the United States, terrorists in particular.

The terrorists along with ourselves will be reading in Wikileaks all of the vital national security information and techniques Snowden took beyond the domestic NSA activities, the very information that will be useful to terrorists in their infinite campaign to try to destroy the United States..

First of all Obama/Biden are not as corrupt as their predecessors. They are simply traveling down a road that was paved for them by the previous administration.

Second, that information is out there and will remain out there. Did anybody really think that nobody would ever have access to it?

Sorry Mr President but the ability of the state to retrieve every email, phone call, skype session and all the data I have ever sent or received via the internet or telephone at will is NOT a "modest" reduction in my privacy.

The Obama/Biden regime is just as corrupt as the Bush/Chaney regime and all before them that do the bidding of the military industrial complex.

I think that presidents of the United States, no matter which one, are no less puppet than Yingluck here in Thailand. All of them have a "black hand" that moves their threads. They are just there for you all play the funny game of "democracy" and so you feel a part of it, then who really rules the country set up a war on behalf of it in any part of the world… Meanwhile other countries look scared s**tless their movements without saying a word to avoid suffering a blockade of supplies or break bonds of "friendship", in the best of cases…
I hope appear in their databases as persona non grata.
Crazy world, where old enemies is now made great friends, and old enemies actitutes are adopted as new models. I do not understand anything, nor at this point hopefully understand. That they passed out the world and poke it up… where they see it fits tongue.png
If I was not yet on the database, now I am giggle.gif
Edited by ImNotaGuiri

Correction. Everything happy until Dec 21 1988. Pan Am 103.

Anybody got an email address for the NSA. I need to declare all my personal information.

SP

British traveller.

Yes, you can reach them here,

http://www.nsa.gov/

I believe you can talk to Betty, in the Customer Service Link

Wonder if shell give me her personal mobile number and email address. I might fall in love with her.

thanks.

When I lived and worked in Beijing I lived in constant fear of being visited by the Chinese Communist Party.

Of course. Why on earth would the Chinese Communist Party want to visit you in those places? biggrin.png

This XKescore revelation shows us how Wikileaks will publish all of the information, documents, techniques used by U.S. national and global security agencies, to include the legal and lawful XKeyscore program which operates abroad..

I would also note that if the XKeyscore program is so onerous to some, then why do governments host the collection and storage centers in the CCP-PRC, Russia itself, Venezuela and other countries whose governments are not the best of friends toward the United States? We also see red dots throughout Europe, Australia, New Zealand, UK, Japan etc.

Thailand is a national security treaty ally of the United States, so this information presented today is just not shocking.

There seems to be a common global consensus among governments of all kinds that supports the XKeyscore program abroad.

Suggest you have the wrong end of the stick; provide the link that states Russia and so on has permitted hosting the application on their territory. Either the app has been covertly inserted on servers, or would be hosted on Servers at US/allies facilities. The alleged 150+ locations are probably used for covertly connecting to local country comms pipes (whether that be satellite or fibre optic) for sucking up data. Their must be a big investment in secure comms to ship the data for centralised data processing or maybe some of the data is subject to distributed data processing.

http://www.ticotimes.net/More-news/News-Briefs/Meet-the-NSA-s-new-data-centers-Russia-China-and-Venezuela_Thursday-August-01-2013

• Like 1

Correction. Everything happy until Dec 21 1988. Pan Am 103.

Anybody got an email address for the NSA. I need to declare all my personal information.

SP

British traveller.

Yes, you can reach them here,

http://www.nsa.gov/

I believe you can talk to Betty, in the Customer Service Link

Wonder if shell give me her personal mobile number and email address. I might fall in love with her.

thanks.

she already knows....

• Like 1

A lot of off-topic, inflammatory, anti-almost everything posts and replies have been deleted. Stay on the topic and keep the discussion relevant to something. Conspiracy theories simply are not going to be tolerated.

• Like 1

....I had that 'impression'....

...I have a few Facebook 'friends'....that I don't really know....that post some 'anti-establishment' stuff...and whenever I 'liked'...or made a favorable comment...

...my Facebook was blocked on several occasions......my computer even crashed once...and I once got a message that my email had been hacked....

...needless to say....I now just read posts......without commenting...except for Thaivisa....maybe I better stop posting here too....

• Like 2

Of course. Why on earth would the Chinese Communist Party want to visit you in those places? biggrin.png

Do you really want to know?

PM to me.

This XKescore revelation shows us how Wikileaks will publish all of the information, documents, techniques used by U.S. national and global security agencies, to include the legal and lawful XKeyscore program which operates abroad..

I would also note that if the XKeyscore program is so onerous to some, then why do governments host the collection and storage centers in the CCP-PRC, Russia itself, Venezuela and other countries whose governments are not the best of friends toward the United States? We also see red dots throughout Europe, Australia, New Zealand, UK, Japan etc.

Thailand is a national security treaty ally of the United States, so this information presented today is just not shocking.

There seems to be a common global consensus among governments of all kinds that supports the XKeyscore program abroad.

Suggest you have the wrong end of the stick; provide the link that states Russia and so on has permitted hosting the application on their territory. Either the app has been covertly inserted on servers, or would be hosted on Servers at US/allies facilities. The alleged 150+ locations are probably used for covertly connecting to local country comms pipes (whether that be satellite or fibre optic) for sucking up data. Their must be a big investment in secure comms to ship the data for centralised data processing or maybe some of the data is subject to distributed data processing.

http://www.ticotimes.net/More-news/News-Briefs/Meet-the-NSA-s-new-data-centers-Russia-China-and-Venezuela_Thursday-August-01-2013

You introduce the matter specifically of whether the "host" governments of the countries identified on Snowden's NSA map, provided to the Guardian, are specifically aware they are facilitating the XKeyscore program, its methods and techniques, its purposes and ends.

I believe the Guardian article, which I have only perused, was silent in this respect - you can clarify on this point if required or desired.

So you're suggesting the "host" governments didn't know?

That would seem to be the case, given that a number of the countries identified by the red dots, i.e., Russia, Venezuela, the CCP-PRC and others are hostile toward the United States.

I believe you and I are on the same page, as it were.