Moving to Canary Islands

I need to make this move in the next year or so,but have had same Thai g/f now for 6 or so years,would like to take her over as that, but visa ruling would make this impossible.

Thinking of marrying her as less problems on immigration ,do not want to return to the UK as that would involve problems that do not exist in Spain ,or the islands.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

About what?

Edit:

Sorry, it's been a long day and that was a bit abrupt.

I assume you are asking about moving to the Canaries to live.

Are you been living with your girlfriend in a relationship akin to marriage? If so, for how long?

The UK rule on unmarried partners is that you must have been doing so for at least the two years prior to the application. I'm not sure about the Spanish.

What is your nationality?

If you are a national of any EEA country except Spain then you can use the EEA regulations to move to Spain with her, provided you meet the Spanish definition of unmarried partners. If you don't meet that definition, then you cannot use these regulations for her to live with you in Spain unless you marry her.

This is how the UK applies those regulations; the Spanish method will be different, I think she would apply for a standard 90 day Schengen visa from the Spanish embassy in Bangkok and then apply for residency once there. However, the regulations on whether she would qualify are the same throughout the EEA.

If you are Spanish then she will need to apply under the Spanish immigration rules.

Edited by 7by7

Should have added more detail to first post,I guess,just kept it to the bare bones.

UK subject.

I know Spain are one of the hardest to deal with with visa issues,so the idea of endless procedures is off putting.

By marriage to UK subject I understand she has automatic right to enter the country,probably gain access to whatever automatic rights that I obtain as living there ie employment,medical etc.

I am not by-passing the conditions imposed by UK immigration through seeking a life in the Canaries,I have enough income for her UK entry and her English language skills are excellent,just the weather and free medical for two make an obvious choice after life here in Thailand. Personally I do not wish to live in the UK again

Was hoping someone would pick up on the thread who has done it and got the t shirt

Thanks

British tourists pushed to claim on travel cover as they are denied free care by Spanish hospital

Medical care: Hospitals on the Costa Brava, in Ibiza (pictured) and on the Canary Islands are among those understood to be turning down EHIC cards

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2186978/British-tourists-denied-free-care-Spanish-hospitals.html

Following extensive media coverage of the refusal by Spanish hospitals to allow expats free treatment via the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), the European Commission is to take legal action.

- See more at:

Believing all that's read in popular press at times is.... Whatever

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22714147

30 May 2013

Under the health card system, an EU citizen's home health service is supposed to cover the cost of emergency treatment abroad. So for a British citizen the UK National Health Service picks up the final bill.

The EHIC is mainly intended for emergency treatment abroad, but also covers patients for pre-existing medical conditions. In cases where doctors think a European visitor's treatment can wait until they get home, then the EHIC can be deemed invalid.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-13-474_en.htm?locale=en

Edited by JLCrab

From a comment to that same 2012 'Move to Spain' article:

The problem is that Spain is to introduce new measures to control immigrants by insisting they can support themselves, and if they don't have a job, they have to have health insurance, if I read it correctly. So it's not just a question of turning up for free healthcare. So much for the free movement between EU countries.
Overview
The rules for getting state healthcare in Spain are different from those in the UK. This guide is intended to advise British nationals living, or planning to live, in Spain on the different ways to access healthcare.
Healthcare entitlement
If you are registered to work in Spain and make national insurance contributions then you can get state-run health care on the same basis as a Spanish national. For further information, get in touch with your local TGSS office.
If you registered as a resident in Spain before 24 April 2012, have an annual income of less than €100,000 and are not covered for healthcare though any other means, speak to your local INSS office to register for healthcare in Spain as a resident.
Edited by JLCrab

The problem is that Spain is to introduce new measures to control immigrants by insisting they can support themselves, and if they don't have a job, they have to have health insurance, if I read it correctly. So it's not just a question of turning up for free healthcare. So much for the free movement between EU countries.

Exactly Crab. There are details I have not included in my initial request for information that I was fully aware of. Again trolling your irrelevance and ignorance as to circumstances is somewhat what your famous for.

. Please educate as to "new immigrants" and "supporting themselves" I stated I satisfy UK immigration entry for spouse,now what is Spanish entry? Answers please Whatever

PERMANENT RESIDENCE PERMIT

Permanent residence implies living and working in Spain with the same rights as Spaniards.

Permanent Residence Permits are granted to foreigners who can prove

a five (5) year legal and continuous residence in Spain, provided that there

were no irregular exits from the country. Continuity will not be interrupted by:

• . Period of absence on holidays outside Spain.
  • . Absences for up to six (6) months, provided that such absences do not exceed the sum of one year.
  • . Justified absences for family or health reasons.

As an exception, the law establishes some criteria by which the said 5 years' residence period is not required to obtain permanent residence. They refer to foreigners who are specially linked to Spain.

http://www.spain-visas.com/Residence-permits-Stay-permits-pag6.htm

So for at a minimum 5 years one cannot be a Resident of Spain and will fall under all those conditions that apply to any other non resident or tourist.

Overview
The rules for getting state healthcare in Spain are different from those in the UK. This guide is intended to advise British nationals living, or planning to live, in Spain on the different ways to access healthcare.
Healthcare entitlement
If you are registered to work in Spain and make national insurance contributions then you can get state-run health care on the same basis as a Spanish national. For further information, get in touch with your local TGSS office.
If you registered as a resident in Spain before 24 April 2012, have an annual income of less than €100,000 and are not covered for healthcare though any other means, speak to your local INSS office to register for healthcare in Spain as a resident.

Crab ,I am fully aware of everything concerning health care in Spain,what you are ranting on about is irreverent,to the point of absurd,now I know I exposed you a while ago as a raving whatever and it deeply upset you

I do not need to get in touch with anybody or anything concerning health care by way of your observations,its all covered

Now Whatever

Healthcare is available to all legal residents of Spain on the same basis as citizens of Spain. It takes 5 years of continuous stay in Spain with allowable exceptions to become a resident of Spain.

Crab,now what is it about? I am aware of everything on your blithering ranting.

Your absolutely famous for trolling ,that's for sure,you have stated your piece, I was more than well aware of .

Now if another poster who has experience of living/ moving to Canaries it would be appreciated/

Edited by pinfold

Lots of people read this open forum and some might not be aware based upon what has been posted that one cannot move to Spain and receive free unlimited healthcare or at least the same as any citizen of Spain upon exiting the air terminal in Madrid or otherwise setting foot on Spanish soil..

The EU Commission Europa page that was linked several posts above gives detail on what a non-Spanish citizen might expect upon his/her stay in Spain prior to becoming a legal resident in Spain given the current controversy on reports of hospitals in Spain denying treatment.

Meanwhile given there are 13000+ UK residents in the Valencia region of Spain one might start here:

http://www.healthcareinspain.eu/who-we-are.php

Why the Valencia Autonomous Community?
The Valencia Autonomous Community is the most popular region for British nationals to look for a new home in Spain. As of June 2010, there were over 13,595 British nationals registered to access state healthcare with their European Health Insurance Card but also registered at the same time on the padrón at their local town hall. This means a lot of people to speak with to make sure they are correctly registered for state healthcare in Spain. This is not to say that people are incorrectly registered, just that they need to check that the UK still considers them to have entitlement to use the UK EHIC.
Edited by JLCrab