Insuring "my wife's" truck in my name

MESmith

Truck is 11 months old, and the free insurance will expire soon. Is it possible to insure in my name, even though the truck is in my wife's name? The insurer I use for my old truck (still have) offered a good discount when I asked for a quote last year, due to my long "no claims bonus". Asking here before I approach my insurer.

The insurance is tied to the car, not the owner, but it would be odd to have an insurance beneficiary that doesn't own the insured property..

Even if they will do this for you, If you financed it and really want to dot your i's and cross your t's, you may want to read the fine print in the finance contract - it will likely require the insurance in your wife's name as beneficiary.

I'm curious what insurance company offered to transfer your NCB to a different car though - normally the NCB stays with the car, and is lost when you buy the next one....

• Like 1

The answer is yes, it is possible to insure in your name but have your wife own the vehicle.

NCB : As one poster said the insurance is with the vehicle not the person. However saying that we can arrange for at least some of the NCB discount to be transferred under certain circumstances. This is the reason we ask for the renewal notice/letter when quoting.

• Like 1