Honda cbr650 2014

A small review of the CB650F:

I rented one from Pops in Chiang Mai for 8 days and drove from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen and back, all around about 1500km over all kinds of roads. Highways, mountain twisties, sugarcane covered Isaan roads and gravel pits. Got a pillion also on board for most of the time. My background is my CBR500R which I've ridden for more than one and a half years now.

Comfort: the seat was much more comfortable than the one on my CBR500R and the suspension, riding position, tires, etc. made for a quite comfortable ride. I can do 700km in one day though with a small bit of pain in my butt and left leg (not sure why the latter). With my own bike I don't want to do more than 200km.

Once you reach 150km/h, wind really blows you back and upwards as there is basically nearly no wind protection. You certainly dont want to do this or higher speeds for longer than a couple minutes. Maybe an aftermarket windscreen can help here but I doubt it would make a big difference. On the flip side the wind pressure is constant and there were turbulences. Again on my CBR500R unless I tuck down behind the screen, I get my helmet thrown from side to side constantly once over 120km/h.

Between about 95km/h and 115km/h (4k to 5k RPM) in 6th the bike develops very noticeable vibrations which then at about 115 - 125km/h change frequency and are not as noticeable or annoying as in the former speed range. The same vibrations exist in other gears in lower speeds respectively. Engine breaking also develops quite some vibrations and if you engine break around 110km/h it's especially annoying. This is my main gripe with the bike actually and I think it might be a strong enough reason to not be happy with the bike in the long run. The engine gets hot but doesn't roast you. Might convince some guys to stop riding in shorts smile.png

Engine: a good upgrade from my 500. A very elastic engine - it has enough torque down low to let it roll without throttle in 6th gear at 25km/h! And the first gear is powerfull yet smooth enough to easily maneuver around at low speeds without any issues whatsoever. Again my bike here is much more rough and stall-prone. You can start from red light in 2nd and then jump immediately to 6th and stay in that gear all day long until the next stop. If you need power, keep it around 6k RPM and it'll have enough torque at hand to swiftly overtake cars at any speeds you'll encounter on Thai roads. Apart from the virbations mentioned above, I really liked the engine. Power wise it might be just enough to keep me entertained for a long long time.

Handling: I was pleasantly surprised by the handling. The bike corners really well and never got upset. It holds the line perfectly fine and the wide handle bars combined with the upride riding position give you excellent control. With 210kg it's not a lightweight but it doesn't feel heavy at all but at the same time is stable. It might not be the best for the track but on roads I'd say it's a really well engineered bike. I am really disappointed by my own bike now smile.png

The tires were OK-ish but I would definitely switch them to some Pirelli Angel GTs. I had the rear slipping a bit at times where they shouldn't have slipped.

Misc.: the shift lever seemed to have issues when coming out of neutral. If I didn't give it a good kick, it wouldn't engage the gear and instead give this rattling feedback. The same thing doesn't happen at higher gears. The clutch lever required a bit too much power for my tastes to pull but that was not a big issue. Overall I find the clutch and gearbox of my CBR500R nicer to operate but I am not 100% sure why. It just feels easier and gives better feedback.

There was also some audible noise coming from the air intake I think. A bit of a rattling sound and it disappears when accellerating. This and the gearbox issue might have been from an accident where a previous rider dropped the bike as indicated by scratches on the engine and usual places like bar ends.

The light seems to be set a bit too high as several car drivers gave me light flashes probably thinking I had the high beam on. But that was not the case. At normal low beam it actually shines in a pretty much horizontal line instead of downwards and is quite strong. Plus the slightly blueish side lights might make it look like highbeam too.

Overall I think it's a good bike but the vibration issue puts me off. I would gladly pay a bit more to get rid of this by rubber mounting the engine or whatever is needed but that's not possible via after market of course. Maybe a second generation could iron this out.

thanks for the review eisfeld.

It does not matter but is that yours or someone else's review?

Vibrations is going less after a couple of thousand kms. And it vibrates mostly at 4-6 k rpms, where engine is running lean for economy as 4 - 6k rpm is where the legal road speeds are.

Yep, this is not the honda's smoothest inline four but not a lot different too and never bothersome for me. Also it is not hotter than my old cbr500r and of course we do not ride such sport bikes with shorts, do we?

Of course bike reviewed had an accident so hard to say something fully. Headlight has to be adjusted, maybe its adjustment went bad after the accident.

And wind protection, you need to tuck a bit, this is a sport bike. I never get any turbulence and wind blows cleanly at my chest without any disturbance. at cbr500r, it was hitting my helmet and having some disturbance rarely but never on cbr650f. nicely made aerodynamic work from honda i believe. Even at speeds over 200 kph.

It's my own review from my trip last week.

The bike had already loads of kms on it, vibrations evidently didn't go away. I don't think the vibrations are because of some economy mode, you can ride at 3k RPM and use even less fuel. It's just that they start at 4k RPM where the frequency resonates with the frame very much and then at about 5k the frequency is high enough to not resonate as much.

About the turbulences: I forgot a "not" in my original post which I'm going to edit now. There are NO turbulences which I was very happy about. Like you said some very good aerodynamic engineering from Honda. You can't tuck on CB650F like you can do on your CBR650F, there is no windscreen to hide behind and there are two air channels on the sides of the fork which blow wind upwards.

Didn't know the headlight can be adjusted, good to know.

Edit: I can't edit the previous review post, really annoying.

cool man, thanks for the review. I feel like you liked the bike.

Really i dont get any annoying vibrations. Especially not much on the seat or footpegs even though i have an aftermarket rearset with no rubber inserts.

at 3k rpm, you cannot reach any highway speeds. at 5 k rpm, you reach something like 100 kph at 6th gear and only 60 kph at 3k rpm which inline four bikes are not for 60 kph rides at 6th gear anyway. (check http://www.gearingcommander.com/ )

If you check cbr650f dyno, you will notice the economy dip between 4800 - 6000 rpms. It is where the engine runs lean and possibly the culprit for the vibrations. still, it is never excessive.

Plus yours is a damaged rental bike so sure hard to comment on vibrations etc. but mine is fine.

Still, i agree, it is not Honda's smoothest inline four engine.

DynoChart.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really i dont get any annoying vibrations. Especially not much on the seat or footpegs even though i have an aftermarket rearset with no rubber inserts.

at 3k rpm, you cannot reach any highway speeds. at 5 k rpm, you reach something like 100 kph at 6th gear and only 60 kph at 3k rpm which inline four bikes are not for 60 kph rides at 6th gear anyway. (check http://www.gearingcommander.com/ )

If you check cbr650f dyno, you will notice the economy dip between 4800 - 6000 rpms. It is where the engine runs lean and possibly the culprit for the vibrations. still, it is never excessive.

Plus yours is a damaged rental bike so sure hard to comment on vibrations etc. but mine is fine.

Yea I liked the bike a hell of a lot more than my CBR500R, it's better in many ways and I feel like I miss the power and handling already.

The dip in torque is interesting. But I would never cruise in the range because of the vibrations so I wouldn't benefit of any "economy" if there is any. I'd rather switch down a gear so I am at 6k RPM or do some sprocket change so the 6th would be taller so I don't even reach that range while at 100km/h. I wonder if it's that some riders are not so sensitive to these vibrations or maybe it's a matter of how the bike was broken in.

Another small negative thing by the way was the warning light button situated on the left side above the horn. I much prefer the location on the right side that the CBR500R has. But that's really a small thing. Oh and also the highbeam trigger from the CBR500R is missing :(

Yea I liked the bike a hell of a lot more than my CBR500R, it's better in many ways and I feel like I miss the power and handling already.

The dip in torque is interesting. But I would never cruise in the range because of the vibrations so I wouldn't benefit of any "economy" if there is any. I'd rather switch down a gear so I am at 6k RPM or do some sprocket change so the 6th would be taller so I don't even reach that range while at 100km/h. I wonder if it's that some riders are not so sensitive to these vibrations or maybe it's a matter of how the bike was broken in.

Another small negative thing by the way was the warning light button situated on the left side above the horn. I much prefer the location on the right side that the CBR500R has. But that's really a small thing. Oh and also the highbeam trigger from the CBR500R is missing sad.png

high beam trigger is there. just hidden this time behind the switch asembly:)

and you get used of teh switches after som etime but i prefer cbr500 switch locaions as well.

ep some prone to vibrations maybe and for some it is ok. the line is: are the vibrations make yourhands tingling and numb after a couple of hours of ride? if not, it is not vibey.

Interesting that they geared it ~10% lower in 6th than the 500. Well, anyways the 500X where 3k rpm is 66 km/h.

a recall notice from for cb650f models.

something about wire harness get problems on prolonged steering operation.

check it out, no problems for cbr650f bikes it looks like.

Honda—Honda CB650FE / FAE Motorcycles
PRA number: 2014/14477
Date published: 9th December 2014

Product information

Product description
650cc Honda Road Motorcycles
Identifying features
VIN range: MLHRC75U8E5000001 to MLHRC75UXE5000212
What are the defects?
After prolonged steering operation, the Front Sub-Wiring Harness may crack causing loss of power to the main iginition switch. Should this occur the engine may cut out and be unable to be re-started.
What are the hazards?
If the defect occurs and the engine stalls while in motion, this poses an accident hazard to the driver and other road users.
Where the product was sold

post-184955-0-95306500-1421899395_thumb.

Product information

Product description

Identifying features

What are the defects?

After prolonged steering operation, the Front Sub-Wiring Harness may crack causing loss of power to the main iginition switch. Should this occur the engine may cut out and be unable to be re-started.

What are the hazards?

If the defect occurs and the engine stalls while in motion, this poses an accident hazard to the driver and other road users.

What!...wait....but isn't this a Honda????

Product information

Product description

Identifying features

What are the defects?

What are the hazards?

What!...wait....but isn't this a Honda????

Ohhh...I like games like this!

SUMMARY:

KAWASAKI IS RECALLING 487 MY 2008 EX250J8F AND EX250J8FL MOTORCYCLES. AN ENGINE CRANKCASE VENT HOLE IN THE AIR FILTER BOX MAY BE BLOCKED. IF SO, AIR PRESSURE CAN BUILD UP INSIDE THE ENGINE, CAUSING THE CYLINDER HEAD COVER GASKET TO FAIL AND LEAK OIL.

CONSEQUENCE:

IF ENOUGH OIL LEAKS FROM THE ENGINE, IT COULD DRIP OR SPRAY ONTO THE REAR TIRE. THIS CAN CREATE THE RISK OF A CRASH, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN INJURY OR DEATH.

SUMMARY:

KAWASAKI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MY 2008 EX250J8F AND EX250J8FL MOTORCYCLES. THE FRONT BRAKE HOSE MAY BE DAMAGED OVER A LONG PERIOD OF USE. THE BRAKE HOSE TENDS TO DEFLECT FORWARD DURING SUSPENSION TRAVEL. THIS ALLOWS THE BRAKE HOSE TO CONTACT THE EDGE OF THE FRONT FORK OUTER TUBE.

CONSEQUENCE:

OVER TIME, THIS CONTACT COULD DAMAGE THE BRAKE HOSE CAUSING THE BRAKE FLUID TO LEAK AND RESULTING IN A LACK OF FRONT BRAKE PERFORMANCE. THIS CAN CREATE THE RISK OF A CRASH.

SUMMARY:

KAWASAKI IS RECALLING 532 MY 2008 NINJA EX250J8F AND EX250J8FL MOTORCYCLES. THE TAIL LIGHT BULB MAY PREMATURELY FAIL.

CONSEQUENCE:

INAPPROPRIATE LIGHTING COULD REDUCE VISIBILITY CREATING THE POSSIBILITY OF A CRASH RESULTING IN INJURY OR DEATH.

SUMMARY:

KAWASAKI IS RECALLING MODEL YEAR 2009 AND 2010 EX250 NINJA 250 MOTORCYCLES. POROSITY IN THE ENGINE CASE COULD ALLOW ENGINE OIL TO LEAK, AND BE DEPOSITED ON THE REAR TIRE. A SMALL NUMBER OF UPPER ENGINE CASES FOR THE AFFECTED MODEL COULD HAVE POROSITY IN THE ALUMINUM CASTING. THIS POROSITY OCCURS IN THE VICINITY OF A PRESSURIZED OIL PASSAGE JUST ABOVE THE TRANSMISSION OUTPUT SHAFT.

CONSEQUENCE:

ENGINE OIL LEAKING FROM THIS LOCATION CAN BE DEPOSITED ON THE REAR TIRE, CREATING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

SUMMARY:

KAWASAKI IS RECALLING MODEL YEAR 2009 AND 2010 EX250 NINJA 250 MOTORCYCLES. POROSITY IN THE ENGINE CASE COULD ALLOW ENGINE OIL TO LEAK, AND BE DEPOSITED ON THE REAR TIRE. A SMALL NUMBER OF UPPER ENGINE CASES FOR THE AFFECTED MODEL COULD HAVE POROSITY IN THE ALUMINUM CASTING. THIS POROSITY OCCURS IN THE VICINITY OF A PRESSURIZED OIL PASSAGE JUST ABOVE THE TRANSMISSION OUTPUT SHAFT.

CONSEQUENCE:

ENGINE OIL LEAKING FROM THIS LOCATION CAN BE DEPOSITED ON THE REAR TIRE, CREATING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

SUMMARY:

KAWASAKI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 EX250JCF/A/AL/L NINJA 250, EX650ECF/L NINJA 650 AND KLE650CCF/L VERSYS MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 13, 2011 THROUGH OCTOBER 25, 2011. DUE TO ENGINE VIBRATION AND DAMAGE DURING ASSEMBLY, THE CIRCLIPS ON THE FOOTPEG MOUNTING PINS CAN BREAK AND FALL OFF AND CAUSE THE FOOTPEG TO DETACH FROM THE MOTORCYCLE.

CONSEQUENCE:

IF THE FOOT PEG DETACHES, IT COULD CREATE A ROAD HAZARD FOR OTHER VEHICLE TRAFFIC AND POSSIBLY DISTRACT THE RIDER, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

SUMMARY:

Kawasaki Motors Corp. is recalling certain model year 2013 EX300BDFAL motorcycles manufactured August 16, 2012, through April 2, 2013. Due to a manufacturing error, the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) may malfunction and lose anti-lock functionality.

CONSEQUENCE:

The anti-lock function may not perform properly allowing for wheel lock up and skidding, increasing the risk of a crash.

SUMMARY:

Kawasaki Motors Corp. is recalling certain model year 2013 Ninja 300 and 300 ABS motorcycles manufactured July 16, 2012, through April 27, 2013. Due to an improper setting in the Electronic Control Unit (ECU), the motorcycle may stall under deceleration.

CONSEQUENCE:

A stall under deceleration increases the risk of a crash.

So 8 recalls (1.3 per year) for a well established bike....

Thanks for biting Dave. wink.png

I'm merely have a little fun with ll2.

You can spout all the statistics you like and I will fully acknowledge them as I have never claimed that Kawasaki are without fault. However I do know some here that promote Honda as God's gift to the world of motorcycles.

Yes I ride a Kawasaki but I also ride a Honda. wai2.gif

You can spout all the statistics you like and I will fully acknowledge them as I have never claimed that Kawasaki are without fault. However I do know some here that promote Honda as God's gift to the world of motorcycles.

Yes I ride a Kawasaki but I also ride a Honda.

You got it all wrong.

Soichiro Honda was God's gift to mankind...his most inebriated sribblings made whilst in the loo are the least of HIS gifts to the world of motorcycles.cheesy.gif

Other than the rocker head bolt issue luckily there's been no recalls on the 500 series....just hope I did not now jinx it.

Yes I ride a Kawasaki but I also ride a Honda. wai2.gif

macknife, 26 years of motorcycling, i have never seen a bike without problems, flaws and glitches!

what matters is the rate of the problems and if they can find a proper solution and honda has a better reliability record than kawasaki.

and of course Honda is god's gift to motorcycles. For example If honda did not make cb750 inline four 46 years ago and release it as sport bike, you might not be riding a kawasaki sport bike at this moment:) still kawa too is god's gift to motorcycling world with their nice bikes, designs, ideas etc.

But Honda also moved many third world and developing country citizens forward by offering small, efficient and economical - to buy and run - bikes, such as wave or dream cubs. Without these small bikes, i believe especially Asia could not reach where it is at the moment.

A few quick questions on oil changes with this bike in hopes someone has some experience they can share please:

1 - Big Wing quoted me over 2,000 Baht I think for a regular oil change and over 3,000 Baht I think for a synthetic oil change. Can't remember exact prices because they just mentioned it quickly in passing, but would it be a lot more economical to just do it myself?

2 - If so, where is a good place to purchase the oil and oil filter I need for this bike at reasonable prices? I think I would want to use fully synthetic oil.

3 - The salesman told me when I bought the bike that the first oil change is at 1,000KM and second oil change at 6,000KM, but the owner's manual says 1,000KM and then 12,000KM, so I am not sure which is correct?

4 - Also, my owner's manual came with a small bag containing 3 small washers and 3 "Collar, FR Wheel Covers". What are these used for?

A few quick questions on oil changes with this bike in hopes someone has some experience they can share please:

1 - Big Wing quoted me over 2,000 Baht I think for a regular oil change and over 3,000 Baht I think for a synthetic oil change. Can't remember exact prices because they just mentioned it quickly in passing, but would it be a lot more economical to just do it myself?

2 - If so, where is a good place to purchase the oil and oil filter I need for this bike at reasonable prices? I think I would want to use fully synthetic oil.

3 - The salesman told me when I bought the bike that the first oil change is at 1,000KM and second oil change at 6,000KM, but the owner's manual says 1,000KM and then 12,000KM, so I am not sure which is correct?

4 - Also, my owner's manual came with a small bag containing 3 small washers and 3 "Collar, FR Wheel Covers". What are these used for?

For a full change oil you will need 4 bottles of oil (3.5L) and the oil filter, 2000 baht seems about right including labour.

I think honda is charging a bit too much for the fully synthetic oil change, since 1L of the best oil are just 550 baht, or 450B for a good fully-synthetic bottle.

the 6000 KM oil change is good to do for the engine break-in.

I did mine changes at 700KM, 4300KM, 11700KM (next at 22000KM)

just before the 700KM, I redlined the bike all the way to honda bigwing to finish the break-in process.

1- Bigwing sells regular semi synthetic oil around 120 THB so definitely 2000 thb is too much unless maybe they are putting full synthetic one which is 450 thb something a liter and they have another spec oil which is for cbr1000rr which they sell for 500 thb something but it is unnecessary for our bikes. Just tell them to put semi synthetic oil which is 120 something baht if you dont want to spend more but full synthetic is better if passed 6 k km.

2- Your warranty will get void if you do that.

3- There is 6000 km service for 650 series honda. And it is the time to put full synthetic oil for me. but they just check things on that service and nothing else. Honda recommend oil changes at every 12 k km but it is too much for the engine so change it at every 6000 km ideally.12 k km oil change intervals are too much stress for the poor engine.

4- Just keep them.

there is a guy converting strock fork with upside down fork and other parts rom hayabusa.

cost 45k thb but includes triple clamp, usd fork, 4 pot calipers, mounting parts etc. not a bad deal imo.

but of course not sure how the geometry of the bike effected on this. fork work is never a joke and needs a lot of attention before and while doing.

http://www.cb650fclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=1741.0

NC13fl.jpg

oDFPdW.jpg

^ In short, with HISS (Honda Ignition Security System) your key has a chip in it that without it won't start your bike. It is very important to keep that "key tag" (white plastic piece with a number and bar code on it) somewhere safe so you can have new keys made if you lose them. Without it Honda will be unable to replace your key and will instead have to replace the whole ignition control module.

Thanks for the info on oil changes. Today I spoke to a friend who also has one of these bikes. He said that Big Wing has a 500 Baht oil change option. He said it's the cheapest oil they have but still meets the specified minimums from Honda and he goes for that one because he rather change it much more often, because of metal shavings and stuff that collects in the oil, and he says it's not worth it to spend the money for the synthetic as he doesn't want to keep it in there a long time. With this cheaper oil I could just change the oil every few thousand km and save money on expensive oil changes.

^ In short, with HISS (Honda Ignition Security System) your key has a chip in it that without it won't start your bike. It is very important to keep that "key tag" (white plastic piece with a number and bar code on it) somewhere safe so you can have new keys made if you lose them. Without it Honda will be unable to replace your key and will instead have to replace the whole ignition control module.

They can make a new key without the barcode if you can bring them the spare key to make a new copy from. But what you say is correct if you lose both keys and the barcode tag. My barcode tag is actually a piece of paper and not plastic. But I took a photo of it with my phone and I keep it inside my phone with me always. This way, if I lose my key somewhere on the road, and I'm far from home where the spare key is, perhaps I can take the photo of the barcode in the phone with me to a Honda Big Wing dealer and get a new key made that way.

Thanks for the info on oil changes. Today I spoke to a friend who also has one of these bikes. He said that Big Wing has a 500 Baht oil change option. He said it's the cheapest oil they have but still meets the specified minimums from Honda and he goes for that one because he rather change it much more often, because of metal shavings and stuff that collects in the oil, and he says it's not worth it to spend the money for the synthetic as he doesn't want to keep it in there a long time. With this cheaper oil I could just change the oil every few thousand km and save money on expensive oil changes.

Cheap oil honda sells is definitely ok.

Buy with full synthetic, bike runs better and smoother and it extends engine life. Aftr 6000km better get full synthetic oil they sell. Also it goes longer than semi synth oil.

If manual states an oil filter change which is every 12 k km, bigwing changes it automatically without even asking you. If not stated in the manual for that km service, they dont and you need to request.

I just spoke with Big Wing. They have two options basically. Semi synthetic, including filter is 1,100 Baht and fully synthetic, including filter is around 2,300 Baht. I will probably take the suggestion to change to semi synthetic on the first oil change at 1,000Km and then switch to fully synthetic at 6,000Km.

Really? You are getting stingy on oil?

This is one of the most important components to keep your engine running.

Why don't you just go to Tesco and get some palm oil? Much cheaper.

Ummmm palm oil or a standard oil that meets manufacturer requirements .. standard oil me thinks.

It's not a racing engine the standard oil is perfectly adequate. The oil companies claim semi is better than regular and that synthetic is better than semi. But that is generally for longer service intervals etc.

If your going to change the oil regularly then standard engine oil that meets manufacturers recommendations is fine!

Archived