Looking for a Room in East Chiang Mai

proovms

Hi,

I'm looking for a new room in Chiang Mai, on the eastern side. Somewhere near Thapae, the night bazaar, Pantip Plaza or Narawat bridge would be ideal, but I wouldn't mind being further in any direction.

My budget is about 6000-7000baht per month, but less would be better.

Internet is a must, good speed and quality is what I'm after. Right now I'm using some 3BB public paid wifi, but I lose connection every 15 minutes or so due to the amount of users and interference, so can only really use it properly after 11pm.

A kitchen is not really required, I already have a camping stove and rice cooker that I use, which does most of what I want, but one would be nice.

I would like a TV with the movie channels that seem to be run from someones computer, but also not required.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

proovms

For that price I think you need to move further East. There are quite a few places near Train Station (Suphanich for example) in that price range or less with good internet. Plenty of parking for motorbikes, straight run down to Nawarat, plenty of songtaews going from station to city proper...you can even walk it if you like. Short run further East to Makro/Shopping Centre on superhighway. Shorter run back West gets you to San Pakoy markets...little bit more to Rimping. There are some "Thai" places a lot closer to Nawarat bridge (east of Ping) that are cheaper again but not that impressive. Very hard to get into them as much sought after by Thais working in CM. For less than the price you are quoting I had a 2 storey shop house, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms on Kong Sai Rd for a few years so am familiar with area

Edited by mamborobert

Thanks for the replies.

For that price I think you need to move further East. There are quite a few places near Train Station (Suphanich for example) in that price range or less with good internet. Plenty of parking for motorbikes, straight run down to Nawarat, plenty of songtaews going from station to city proper...you can even walk it if you like. Short run further East to Makro/Shopping Centre on superhighway. Shorter run back West gets you to San Pakoy markets...little bit more to Rimping. There are some "Thai" places a lot closer to Nawarat bridge (east of Ping) that are cheaper again but not that impressive. Very hard to get into them as much sought after by Thais working in CM. For less than the price you are quoting I had a 2 storey shop house, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms on Kong Sai Rd for a few years so am familiar with area

I'm currently staying close to Makro for around the price I am looking for, however having terrible internet is the main reason for moving. I will take a walk around near the train station to have a look.

Could you give some more details of the whereabouts of the Thai places near Nawarat bridge please? I'm not too worried about living in a place without all western standards.

To do with your shop house deal, is there a place I might find advertisements for similar places, or would I need to walk around to find them?

Many thanks,

proovms

Shop house is pretty much walking around taking down some numbers of signs on doors and then getting a Thai to do the phoning price wise. As far as the cheap rentals they are there but they are packed. I went through oodles of them trying to find a place near where I then was for sister in law. Suphanich near train station has a few places for rent in that bracket. Also could try places on Thung Hotel Road (D'Town Inn is about that price for a long term rent and has good internet and a fair few Farangs and usually has openings now.....not to be confused with teh now demolished Downtown Inn aka Hotel California). Trouble is a lot of these places are down side sois and not visible from main street.

Shop house is pretty much walking around taking down some numbers of signs on doors and then getting a Thai to do the phoning price wise. As far as the cheap rentals they are there but they are packed. I went through oodles of them trying to find a place near where I then was for sister in law. Suphanich near train station has a few places for rent in that bracket. Also could try places on Thung Hotel Road (D'Town Inn is about that price for a long term rent and has good internet and a fair few Farangs and usually has openings now.....not to be confused with teh now demolished Downtown Inn aka Hotel California). Trouble is a lot of these places are down side sois and not visible from main street.

Thank you, I will have an explore around the sois and take down some numbers for my friend to call. Thanks again.

Sent you a private message.

Thanks, appreciated.

Verrachi court.

Sorry about the spelling. Maybe some one else here can correct it. They are located within walking distance of every thing you mentioned. Not sure of the WiFi.

Google gives me this: http://veerachaicourt.com/index.html on Thapae Road

I will go and have a look, cheers.

• Like 1

i'm continuously baffled when I see people (adults) looking for "rooms" for rent. i've lived in the USA and even kids going to college look for apartments or houses to rent. In fact, I've never heard of anyone "renting a room"; especially an adult. i've lived for long periods of time in several European countries where people look to rent "flats". but I always find it so strange when adults on this forum continuously look for a single room with a toilet to live in. that would be like spending your time in a hotel room. what do these people do when family or friends come to visit? do they invite them into their "room". where do they sleep? eat?

i'm continuously baffled when I see people (adults) looking for "rooms" for rent. i've lived in the USA and even kids going to college look for apartments or houses to rent. In fact, I've never heard of anyone "renting a room"; especially an adult. i've lived for long periods of time in several European countries where people look to rent "flats". but I always find it so strange when adults on this forum continuously look for a single room with a toilet to live in. that would be like spending your time in a hotel room. what do these people do when family or friends come to visit? do they invite them into their "room". where do they sleep? eat?

I'm 22 and a room or studio apartment suits me perfectly, I don't really have people visit, but thanks for your concern.

I'm 22 and a room or studio apartment suits me perfectly, I don't really have people visit, but thanks for your concern.

wasn't picking on you. i really meant single men/women in their late 50's-80's. 22 is still a kid to me.wink.png

I don't recall the name but there is a hotel on Chang Klan near the Hospital there about 1 block from Shangrila hotel. It is cream color with a green sign. I know that it isn't "new" but they do keep it rather clean. I had some friends stay there and said it was good. I think they are around that price.

You might have to go up to 10k a month though if you want places with high speed internet and all the other trimmings you mentioned.

I live in a motel Room Long Stay

I have no problems.

It all depends on the person and what they want out of life.

We are different in way of thinking.