Banharn offers new solution to heal divide

webfact

Banharn offers new solution to heal divide
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- CHART THAI PATTANA Party's de facto leader Banharn Silapa-archa told the media yesterday that his solution for the political divide would be to invite all sides to join the government for a year before dissolving the House. However, he admitted that this idea might not be welcomed.

"Would it be possible for everyone to come and run the nation? Or should we ask some representatives from different political parties to join the administration?" he asked.

Meanwhile, Ukrit Mongkol-navin, a former Senate speaker, said yesterday that the council of senior advisers he has proposed would have no power over government, Parliament or the judiciary.

As chairman of the government-appointed Independent National Rule of Law Commission, Ukrit suggested a council be established to address the looming political crisis.

He said the council could be made up of former PMs, Parliament presidents and Supreme Court presidents. Ukrit voiced the idea when government representatives met him on Monday to discuss political reform under PM Yingluck Shinawatra's initiative. He added that respected national figures would be invited to work on the council and their appointment could be royally endorsed. "I believe the society will listen to their words of wisdom," he said.

Maj-General Pissanu Putha-wong, chief of the Office of General Prem Tinsulanonda Statesman Foundation, said the government had not invited Prem to join the council. "I have no idea if he will join. Prem has made it clear that he does not want to get involved in politics. Though he rarely says anything, he follows the situation closely as he is concerned about the problems," he said.

Separately, former PM General Suchinda Kraprayoon said he would not join the council, if invited, because of poor health. Suchinda spoke to the press at an event where military friends and businessmen gathered to wish him a happy 80th birthday.

"My health is not as good as it used to be, so I'm afraid I will just waste other people's time. Political reform and national reconciliation are good for the country. If they succeed, I congratulate them,'' he said.

Former PM Anand Panyara-chun yesterday dismissed as groundless a report in an English-language newspaper that he had been asked to join the so-called political reform council. Anand's spokesman said the former leader had not been contacted and he had not made any statements on the proposed council.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-07

The political reform for reconciliation is already sounding like a divisive hot potato that no one wants to touch.

Thailand really needs an independent third party to broker the reconciliation because it will not work with PT or Democrats heading this process. Too much mistrust already.

In the meantime, let the show begin...yuck!

As long as Amnesty or Thaksin is the main / sole goal for PTP

this will remain a hot issues and there will never be recon. and unity

If this tosser gets of scott free, poopoo will ht the fan .. the

The tosser will return ... take over power and seek revenge

The more poopoo will hit the fan

• Like 2

The Thai politicians seem to have gotten themselves backed into a corner due to their massive corruption and their feeling of self importance and invincability. They see groups waiting with the ball bats to the front and sides of any escape routes, no judes goat to sacrifice, and worst of all, they cannot agree within their own little groups on which route to take.

Not wishing them any bad luck, as they seem quite capable of creating their own, but just hope they get to pay a agreed upon, fair to the people, penality, before they die or take extended holidays abroad. The iceing on the cake would be the ban of any relatives to present incompentents, by blood or marriage, to any civil post for at least 4 generations.

• Like 2

I think it shows that politics doesn't work anymore in Thailand. The poor are too easily bought and manipulated, and politicians are all up for sale. A rich man can easily dominate the country as a result. Another form of government needs to be created. I think that Banharn is stating what many people may be thinking. His idea could be worked on and improved. But I think that Thaksin's goal is total control, so he won't agree.

• Like 1

I think it shows that politics doesn't work anymore in Thailand. The poor are too easily bought and manipulated, and politicians are all up for sale. A rich man can easily dominate the country as a result. Another form of government needs to be created. I think that Banharn is stating what many people may be thinking. His idea could be worked on and improved. But I think that Thaksin's goal is total control, so he won't agree.

"I think it shows that politics doesn't work anymore... The poor are too easily bought and manipulated, and politicians are all up for sale. A rich man can easily dominate the country as a result. Another form of government needs to be created."

Sounds like my native country...

Very few respected elder statesmen will touch this with a 50 foot bargepole.

TRT, PPP, PTP et al, Thaksin. Yingluck et al have got themselves into a position that they have no idea how to get out of and they are casting their net wide in the hope that somebody will help them out.

No sane or sensible person wants to know because they know if it doesn't work they will get the blame instead of the people who put themselves there.

BANGKOK: -- CHART THAI PATTANA Party's de facto leader Banharn Silapa-archa told the media yesterday that his solution for the political divide would be to invite all sides to join the government for a year before dissolving the House. However, he admitted that this idea might not be welcomed.

"Would it be possible for everyone to come and run the nation? Or should we ask some representatives from different political parties to join the administration?" he asked.

I can see it now....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWo-6CQnyiU

Edited by mca

Banharn obviously hasn't cleared this with the big boss as it's very unlikely that the Democrats would take orders from him.

As for the 'council of senior advisers' idea the thought of including General Suchinda would be hilarious if it got off the ground. Doesn't seem like it, thankfully.

I suspect that this "reconciliation" bill will pass parliament, be declared unconstitutional by that court, and the supreme court will rule against Thaksins criminal conviction being part of an amnesty agreement. After all this happens, we will be back to square one. The PTP can run roughshod over anyone or anything.....except the courts.

Thai - so called - politicians and their hangers on have been spouting this meaningless dross for decades. Any sense that anyone really wants to work together for the good of the people and the country is utter nonsense.

While there is so much opportunity for corruption at stake, don't expect any 'reconciliation' anytime soon. Do expect the usual suspects to push for their place at the trough, though.

Utter waste of time.

Can anyone see Mr. T allowing anyone near the government that he hasn't handpicked ?

Hmmm

Thats a tough one.... A good solution is not to let a Thai anywhere near a decision making role... But then that opens up other problems, like letting foreigners have more say in how Thailand should proceed out of the stone age!

• 3 months later...

"Separately, former PM General Suchinda Kraprayoon said he would not join the council, if invited, because of poor health. Suchinda spoke to the press at an event where military friends and businessmen gathered to wish him a happy 80th birthday.

"My health is not as good as it used to be, so I'm afraid I will just waste other people's time. Political reform and national reconciliation are good for the country. If they succeed, I congratulate them,'' he said."

'Poor health'? When did that ever stop a Thai politician? I sincerely hope the old snake suffers a long and painful death. He has a whole lot of innocent blood on his hands.

What goes around comes around...