Dumex Thailand issued statement on recall of its products from shelves

webfact

CONTAMINATION
Dumex Thailand issued statement on recall of its products from shelves

BANGKOK: -- Dumex Thailand on Tuesday issued a statement on recall of some of its products in Thailand following an information from Fonterra - a New Zealand-based dairy supplier - that one of their ingredients had potential contamination issue.

The statement said during the first 24 hours after learning the issue, the Dumex team has worked in close collaboration with the Thai Food and Drug Administration (FDA), its retail customers, and directly with consumers via the Dumex Careline to recall the potentially affected products.

As a result of this efficient collaboration, the majority of affected stock has been successfully recalled.

The Medical Council of Thailand, the Royal College of Pediatricians of Thailand, and FDA have confirmed that until August 5, there have been no official reports of botulism in Thailand.

Meanwhile, the Dumex Careline team has dramatically increased its call capacity to over 100 employees. In addition, Dumex works collaboratively with the FDA, which has a consumer hotline, to provide all necessary information and support to consumers.

"Dumex's commitment is to unconditionally replace any affected products, and the Dumex Careline team is committed to addressing any concerns and providing further information. Consumers who have purchased any affected products are encouraged to contact the Dumex Careline on 02-740-3400 or 02-740-3333," read the statement.

Dumex once again apologises for any inconvenience caused by this precautionary recall, but the safety of our consumers is our paramount concern.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-07

Where can I find out what are the affected products they are talking about? My 1 year old son drinks this and this is the first I've heard about it.

--------------

Watch the international news on television ... the BBC, Australian news, news from Singapore, or such.... it's been on television about the botulism problem with the manufacturer in New Zealand and Thailand was mentioned as one of the areas it's product was distributed to.

Now this does NOT mean there is necessarily tainted product in Thailand.... it's only certain lot numbers that may be affected.

At that time they did not know for sure if any of the possibly affected lot numbers were actually shipped to Thailand.

They are probably just removing all of the product in Thailand just out of caution.

Phoned the helpline. Turns out the milk my son was drinking was in one of the recalled batches. I shop I bought the milk from said I could bring the unused milk and box back and they would replace it. I bought a 2400 g box with 4 600 g packs inside. 2 of the packs were drunk. When I took the box back the shop offered me 500 baht compensation but the kind lady on the Dumex helpline offered to replace my 2400 g box and give me another 600 g free. So the way I see it is the shop would of took my 2400 g box, sent it back, got a replacement and put it back on sale. making at least 700 baht out of it. I wonder how many other people they done this to.

Thank you for your quick replies everyone.

I sincerely hope that your son is fine, and in response to posts regarding other potentially contaminated products:-

Important to get this into perspective and remember that even if the potentially contaminated whey powder did find its way into other products, then the process that they undergo (cooking, baking, heating etc) would kill the bacteria.

And this from the company itself: "Fonterra stated that some of the whey protein they used in their infant formula might be contaminated with a botulism causing bacterium caused by a dirty pipe at the company's Hautapu plant.

There have not been any confirmed reports of illness from the infant formula.

The terms ‘minute’ and ‘one in millions’ were used to describe the level of risk to consumers”.