Be careful with Qatar Airways

davidst01

Earlier this year I booked a flight online with Qatar airways to Europe and did not opt to select a seat. I then received an email close to the flight offering me to book a seat- which I stupidly ignored....

I went to check in at BKK airport and they told me that Im on standby. Obviously I was disappointed but waited an hour in suspense and they managed to get me a seat.

I think its prudent to get a seat allocation online prior to your flight to avoid disappointment....

• Like 1

I encountered something similar a few times travelling with another middle eastern airline. It's common for them to overbook on certain sectors.

Now I online check-in up to 24 hours before hand and haven't had a problem since.

It is always worth checking in online... because as a rule most flights when busy are overbooked! because there are usually always a few no-shows.

However checking in online has its downsides too, should your taxi breakdown and you miss your flight there is little recourse from the airline because you have already checked-in...

Flew with QA many times past two years. Good airline overall but they have a membership system which gives different privileges. A gold member is top which is very nice for them as they can turn up at the airport without a booking and demand a seat. Even if over booked the airline will pull passengers off the flight for gold members. Usually Arabs and/or native Qataris. Otherwise people who fly a hell of a lot with them. Lucky if you ever get gold membership but silver and burgundy are attainable but with fewer privileges.

So.....if the gold member Qatari turns up with his 4 wives and all his kids, any lesser privileged traveller is going to lose out. I saw this happen many times.

Always best to reserve a seat online and checkin online. But as I say. If the gold member shows up your on the next flight.

Flew with QA many times past two years. Good airline overall but they have a membership system which gives different privileges. A gold member is top which is very nice for them as they can turn up at the airport without a booking and demand a seat. Even if over booked the airline will pull passengers off the flight for gold members. Usually Arabs and/or native Qataris. Otherwise people who fly a hell of a lot with them. Lucky if you ever get gold membership but silver and burgundy are attainable but with fewer privileges.

So.....if the gold member Qatari turns up with his 4 wives and all his kids, any lesser privileged traveller is going to lose out. I saw this happen many times.

Always best to reserve a seat online and checkin online. But as I say. If the gold member shows up your on the next flight.

All well and good but that Gold Card Member who just turns up at the Airport demanding a seat will pay heavily price wise........

Likely full fare even in Economy. Thats not what Gold Cards are for in my opinion !!

Hi,

I'm a Gold card holder with Qatar airways, I can assure you that I'm neither Arab with four wives and kids or a Qatari national (not that there's anything wrong with being either). I'm afraid your knowledge of Qatar Airways Privilege members benefits is sadly lacking. I fly with Qatar Airways quite a lot (probably far more often than yourself) and have never seen what you are describing, but as I'm unaware of all the facts, which I suggest might be the same as yourself, I cannot comment on peoples check-in conversations and their booking. Overbooking of flights is common practice throughout the airline industry not just Qatar Airways.

Here is a couple of direct quotes from Qatar Airways Privilege club website for Gold members benefits.

Priority standby If you are on standby for a flight, you will be given priority if a seat becomes available.

Priority waiting list If your preferred Qatar Airways flight is full, you will be put on a waitlist and given priority if a seat becomes available.

No mention of any guaranteed seat on any flight.

I believe they would pay full fare but they can afford it............

Again I pay for all my own travel and no way could I afford to pay full fares all the time. You should think again before making statements with sweeping generalisations of all gold members.

But getting back to the OP, yes I always find it better to check-in online if possible.

Best Regards

Edited by ragandboneman
  • Like 2

Dear Ragandboneman, The info I posted is from personal experience. I have seen it happen many times with QA they are not going to advertise it are they.

If you were a Qatari Citizen or wealthy Arab im sure you would be able to pay the full fare but its not about that. You obviously don't have "wasta"

Edited by MonkeyLoo