Salary Levels for Degree Qualified People

mallyrd

My step-daughter who is 26, has a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communications & Human Resources with a GPA of 3.37.

Today she went to a walk in interview at a well known hospital (on Sukhumvit) and spent several hours there being interviewed by a number of people. At the end of the process she was offered a job in Customer Care/Customer Relations with a salary of 12k a month. I wonder if this salary is a reflection on the generally poor standard of care that many people seem to experience?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't folk who work in 7/11 or Tesco's have to have a ''Thai'' degree ?

. Just asking cos I have been to a few degree presentations where zillions of folk get a degree. I wonder where they all get ''good'' jobs to re-coup the families outlay.

I dont have a daughter, however if I did, I would like to think she would have been raised to tell them,

"stick your job up your ass" and walk out the door with her dignity intact and her head held high.

In Bkk go and work on the production line of a factory for more than that, jeez the basic pay for a day labourer is 500 baht per day rising to 700 if skilled and then anywhere up to 3,000 per day for a fully qualifed tradesman.

• Like 1

She has no experience, it is only natural to be offered the lowest possible salary.

Did you expect her to be offered top money based on her degree alone?

Also what was the job advertised at?

I have had people coming for interview asking for 18K for job which was advertised at 10K,

Point is if job was advertised at 12K and no degree necessary, it is irrelevant what degree she holds, as the job pays ONLY 12K

PS. Forgot to mention, this governments promise was 15K minimum for uni grads, but i do not believe they put it into practice as it meant raising salary for government officials

Edited by lemoncake

i don't think people generally have problems with care at that hospital

i for one think its a fine hospital and i have spent millions of baht there

i do think they have problems with the billing and charges they make

i have been over-billed many times

so every bill is scrutinized and challenged

however, its the hospital i have elected to go to in an emergency

i think its the best around here

i always bargain for any services if i am able to do so

its a business, they will consider low bids especially in low season

maybe they are doing the same when considering employing your step daughter

salary aside its not a bad name to have on your CV even for a few months

• Like 1

I believe the minimum salary for graduates was increased to 15K 2012. However as long as this is shown for social security payments it dosnt mean the employee will actually receive this amount.

Salaries the past few years seem to have got out of hand. Paying 15K or 20K is OK for a committed employee but so many just want to play Facebook or chat on Whatsup etc and expect the salary at the end of the month.

We have been trying to find staff for over 4 months and its impossible.If they worked hard with commissions would earn upwards of at least 40K a month but they just are not interested in incentives.......questions I have been asked when interviewing..do I get a free iphone, will you pay my phone bill, do I really have to work weekends.......not one question or suggestion about what they could offer the company. Maybe this is how the OPs daughter in law came accross.

Edited by PattayaPhom
  • Like 2

I dont have a daughter, however if I did, I would like to think she would have been raised to tell them,

"stick your job up your ass" and walk out the door with her dignity intact and her head held high.

In Bkk go and work on the production line of a factory for more than that, jeez the basic pay for a day labourer is 500 baht per day rising to 700 if skilled and then anywhere up to 3,000 per day for a fully qualifed tradesman.

This is Pattaya not BKK so there will be a slight difference but I can not believe that a plumber or sparky earns 3K a day any where in Thailand unless its a job that is priced at 3K by a self employed person which will take one day. With many positions that pay minimum wage you must realise that accommodation and food is provided by the employer so all of the salary is disposable income.

• Like 2

It is a customer service position, what difference does the degree make? If she was being hired as a HR manager of something similar, the pay would be higher.

Having a degree does not make one more valuable to an employer if they have no need for your area of expertise. Is your step daughter fluent in both English and Thai? If so, I would think she could easily do better.

Paying more allows a company to be more selective on who they hirer, but existing personnel more does not generally result in better performance.

Keep in mind, two years ago, B12K was about twice the minimum wage.

• Like 1

It is a customer service position, what difference does the degree make? If she was being hired as a HR manager of something similar, the pay would be higher.

Having a degree does not make one more valuable to an employer if they have no need for your area of expertise. Is your step daughter fluent in both English and Thai? If so, I would think she could easily do better.

Paying more allows a company to be more selective on who they hirer, but existing personnel more does not generally result in better performance.

She has a TOEIC (spelling) of 900 which is the maximum.

I believe the minimum salary for graduates was increased to 15K 2012. However as long as this is shown for social security payments it dosnt mean the employee will actually receive this amount.

Salaries the past few years seem to have got out of hand. Paying 15K or 20K is OK for a committed employee but so many just want to play Facebook or chat on Whatsup etc and expect the salary at the end of the month.

We have been trying to find staff for over 4 months and its impossible.If they worked hard with commissions would earn upwards of at least 40K a month but they just are not interested in incentives.......questions I have been asked when interviewing..do I get a free iphone, will you pay my phone bill, do I really have to work weekends.......not one question or suggestion about what they could offer the company. Maybe this is how the OPs daughter in law came accross.

Mate you have got to screen the CVs a little better. You know that you should bin them when they make comments on their CV like "many people have commented that I am attractive".

Most CVs I get are laughable, and universally they ignore the job requirements, particularly "must speak, read and write English". Even when you hire them, they often leave after 4 hours with the lamest excuses that would put bar girl to shame.

One lady I hired absolutely refused to stop surfing the web, right in front of me telling me that she has her own private business to run (on the side) and her previous employee didn't mind. She was gobsmacked when she didn't pass probation and asked for several months severance pay...."How am I supposed to pay the bills??" she says. To top it off she has an appalling lack of hygiene. Ahhh choi and snot all over the desk.

On the bright side she did have a magnificent set of bumpers.

That made me laugh as is so like it is....personally I am not bothered about formal qualifications and just require good work ethics, communication skills and somebody that likes to earn money reasonably easily. Going back to the OP, as stated it was a basic customer service position, the kind of job that is outsourced to India and the like so basic salary is adequate.

Edited by PattayaPhom

Mate you have got to screen the CVs a little better. You know that you should bin them when they make comments on their CV like "many people have commented that I am attractive".

Most CVs I get are laughable, and universally they ignore the job requirements, particularly "must speak, read and write English". Even when you hire them, they often leave after 4 hours with the lamest excuses that would put bar girl to shame.

One lady I hired absolutely refused to stop surfing the web, right in front of me telling me that she has her own private business to run (on the side) and her previous employee didn't mind. She was gobsmacked when she didn't pass probation and asked for several months severance pay...."How am I supposed to pay the bills??" she says. To top it off she has an appalling lack of hygiene. Ahhh choi and snot all over the desk.

On the bright side she did have a magnificent set of bumpers.

To be fair, someones got to pay for the ''bumpers'' eh...............laugh.png

Will all due respect, exactly how will that benefit the hospital? It doesn’t even answer my question for that matter, I didn’t ask if she could spell.

It’s a job where people sit at a counter and (when they are not too busy playing with their phone) tell the occasional passerby where the restroom is.

Is this her first job out of college? If so, and with such a "soft" degree, it may not have been an unreasonable offer. The job probably was to join their corps of pretties who aimlessly wander around the entrance lobby doing who knows what.

Interesting point of comparison, I saw that my local 7 had pamphlets on the counter advertising 9-12k salaries.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Will all due respect, exactly how will that benefit the hospital? It doesn’t even answer my question for that matter, I didn’t ask if she could spell.

It’s a job where people sit at a counter and (when they are not too busy playing with their phone) tell the occasional passerby where the restroom is.

And your occupation was? The writer has indicated that he is not sure of the spelling of TOEIC, not that the woman in question has a score of 900 in spelling. rolleyes.gif

It is amazing how many people want the high life right off the bat. It is true that there are a few people born with silver spoons in their mouth, but many come from more humble beginnings and do quite fine moving up the ladder by proving their usefulness, networking, etc.

I've observed the employee mentality is not much different than in the usa. Got their hands out for all kinds of freebies not caring where it comes from or how it gets there, and disproportionally offering anything in return.

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 2

that is what is wrong with the UK, kids out of school won't work for anything less than someone with ten or more years experience, this lass is being offered a opportunity to better herself in a place that there will be opportunities to progress and if not, she will be 12K a month better off and in a few months with work experience she could start to circulating her CV if it is a dead end job.

Edited by Rimmer
Profanity
  • Like 1

Will all due respect, exactly how will that benefit the hospital? It doesnt even answer my question for that matter, I didnt ask if she could spell.

Its a job where people sit at a counter and (when they are not too busy playing with their phone) tell the occasional passerby where the restroom is.

The word (spelling) was entered after TOIEC because I was not sure if TOIEC was the correct abbreviation not to let you know she could SPELL. Reading your posts I would think my step daughter has a better understanding of the English than you do.

For more than 30 years, the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC®) has been used by institutions, companies, and government agencies worldwide to measure the English proficiency of nonnative English-speaking people. With more than 5 million test takers per year, the TOEIC test is the standard for workplace English language proficiency worldwide.

Will all due respect, exactly how will that benefit the hospital? It doesnt even answer my question for that matter, I didnt ask if she could spell.

Its a job where people sit at a counter and (when they are not too busy playing with their phone) tell the occasional passerby where the restroom is. The word (spelling) was entered after TOIEC because I was not sure if TOIEC was the correct abbreviation not to let you know she could SPELL. Reading your posts I would think my step daughter has a better understanding of the English than you do.

For more than 30 years, the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC®) has been used by institutions, companies, and government agencies worldwide to measure the English proficiency of nonnative English-speaking people. With more than 5 million test takers per year, the TOEIC test is the standard for workplace English language proficiency worldwide.

Thanks, I thought (sp) was the notation used to indicate the author was unsure of spelling. It did not even occur to me that one would spell an acronym wrong.

Still does not answer my original question: Does she speak fluently, both English and Thai?

And I understand how complex this seems, but exactly how does her passing that particular test benefit the hospital?

And your occupation was? The writer has indicated that he is not sure of the spelling of TOEIC, not that the woman in question has a score of 900 in spelling. rolleyes.gif

My occupation was several things, but I am currently managing a manufacturing facility in Thailand.

What are you, and English teacher?