Thai Foreign Minister Surapong: Iraq suspends Thai rice imports

webfact

Thai FM: Iraq suspends Thai rice imports
By English News

1376027248137.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 9 – A Thai delegation will visit Iraq soon to make an inquiry on rice trading with the Middle Eastern country following a report that it would suspend rice imports from Thailand for three years due to low quality, a senior cabinet member said today.

Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said he received the report on Iraq’s decision from former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra – a move which would have an adverse impact on Thailand since Iraq buys one million tonnes of rice from the country each year.

Mr Surapong said he immediately consulted Deputy Prime Minister/Commerce Minister Niwatthumrong Boonsongpaisarn to find a solution to the problem.

Thai ambassador to Amman, Piriya Khempon, was assigned to lead a Thai trade delegation to discuss the issue with Iraqi officials on August 17-21, Mr Surapong said.

Mr Surapong expressed thanks to former premier Thaksin for the useful information and promised to urgently solve the matter. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-08-09

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PTP xxxxx up the country's rice industry because of their corruption and incompetence. Even the Iraqis don't want our rice now.

But hey, it's important Thaksin is thanked for the information! Thanks Thaksin!

Thailand the hub of Ricebergs clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

First the Ivory Coast now Iraq and it was reported that China as not actioned a MOA that was signed 2 years ago to buy, if memory serves me correctly, 2 million tons..

And it seem an auction of rice only sold 210,000 tons as no buyers wanted it.

It gets worse and worse.

But it was great of Thaksin to let his Govt know.

• Like 2

To publish 3 rd hand info which did not come from a Thai official, set up another international tour at taxpayer expense and then have this suspious incompentent, decide to urgently solve a problem of rice quality, sounds like hill tribe behavior. Sorry, the Hill tribe are smarter than this, I aplogize to them for the comparsion.

• Like 2

xxxxx? why is this report coming from Thaksin?? blink.png

Because he's running the government and represents the government overseas.

He told the Foreign Minister because they are close cousins.

Commerce Minister Niwatthumrong doesn't rank high enough to be included on personal discussions.

It will be the Foreign Minister then who transfers the information to the appropriate Commerce Minister to deal with the issue.

• Like 2

I knew there was a looming crisis when Nigeria ceased to be the biggest Thai rice buyer. We the lot of 170 million do munch quite a bit. India sell us the bulk of what we eat now, basmati et al. India $420/ ton vs Thailand $550+/ton. In this capitalistic world, 7UP will say, the difference is clear, talking about shiploads of 25000 metric tons.

In an unrelated observation, I have noticed that white rice is bagged as hom Mali. Thai partner say so long as it had the Thai badge, it's the bestest.

• Like 1

I knew there was a looming crisis when Nigeria ceased to be the biggest Thai rice buyer. We the lot of 170 million do munch quite a bit. India sell us the bulk of what we eat now, basmati et al. India $420/ ton vs Thailand $550+/ton. In this capitalistic world, 7UP will say, the difference is clear, talking about shiploads of 25000 metric tons.

In an unrelated observation, I have noticed that white rice is bagged as hom Mali. Thai partner say so long as it had the Thai badge, it's the bestest.

Genuine Hom Mali only makes up about 3mn tonnes of the entire crop. I mn for Thailand, and 2mn for export. Funny how so much of it globally is marked Hom Mali. Where does all the "white rice" go?

Looks like Iraq is just pushing back against Asian origin rice in general by setting new requirements for the type of rice Iraq will import. And what is really weird is rice from the U.S. and South America may be the only ones that qualify which Iraq already imports rice from. And we all know that the U.S. and Iraq are best buddies....maybe Iraq is trying to get back on the U.S.'s good side by buying more of their rice.

Link to below quoted story follows: Link

Iraq Tightens Rice Import Norms; Asian Origins May Not Qualify PDF Imprimir E-mail

Iraq has raised the quality standards for rice import tenders, making it very difficult for Asian origins to qualify, trading executives said.

In its latest tender, which opens later Wednesday, Iraq has increased the minimum length of grain and reduced the stipulated amount of broken and chalky grain, said a Singapore-based trading executive who offers rice at tenders issued by Iraq's state-run grain board.

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Like 2

xxxxx? why is this report coming from Thaksin?? blink.png

Because he's running the government and represents the government overseas.

He told the Foreign Minister because they are close cousins.

Commerce Minister Niwatthumrong doesn't rank high enough to be included on personal discussions.

It will be the Foreign Minister then who transfers the information to the appropriate Commerce Minister to deal with the issue.

Taksin family government :D What's the word for this? Nepotism? Oops, better be careful What I say, I might get investigated by the police chief cousin...

Edited by MaiChai
  • Like 1

This of course could be just the first step in making Thaksin a great hero.

He will now go to Iraq with the Thai delegation and single handedly (or mouthedly) talk them into reversing their decision and even upping their order.

Just another example of how much this country needs this great statesman.

The amnesty bill must be passed quickly to get him back to make this country great.

• Like 1

No problem; send the Puppet in her Sunday best sweetly smiling along with a few of her Muppet's for another junket at Thailand's expense. The Iraqi's will be bowled over by their 'Thainess' and all will be well in no time. Either that or just make sure the envelope is stuffed more fully in future.

• Like 1