Documentation when selling a bike

Briggsy

I will soon sell one of my bikes. I am the only owner having bought it new from the garage. I paid cash so no finance issues. Of course I have the green book and it is of course in my name.

If I sell it privately,

what information do I need to obtain e.g. name and address of buyer,

what do I need to sign,

do I need to inform the Land Transport Dept,

what does the buyer need to sign,

and how do I transfer ownership?

I have never sold a bike privately before in Thailand.

You should go with buyer to DLT office where the bike is registered.

You both need a residence certificate or work permits(assuming both buyer and seller is farang)

You need to take the bike with you

You need to take the green book

You need to take your passports with copies

All the other forms can be completed and signed at The DLT

Pool Hustler

Thank you. That information is very helpful. Fortunately I live close to a DLT office.

Looks like I will need another residence letter from immigration which is a pain but never mind.

I used to pay 50 baht for the needed papers at a 2nd hand bike shop,

i didnt live close to DLT so for me it was a bargain.

Guessing they would do the whole thing for you for 700-1000

Edited by poanoi

I think if I sell it on a weekday, it would make more sense to go to the DLT office. I can be there in 5 minutes, probably less. I have found the one where I live to be very efficient and helpful.

But thanks for that Pua Noi. There are tons of small and medium size crappy, "we'll do finance on a Fino and not much else"-type bike shops around and I am sure they will do the transfer if asked. It is a good back-up plan to have.

When you sell the bike, youll also need the bike VIN inspected , there will be a special place on premises that does it.

Get the transfer papers first, then get the inspection. You'll also have to declare a sale amount, the buyer will have to pay tax on that. I declared a low amount on mine and told the guy it was a rebuild. ;)

Sign passport copies

Sign transfer papers

Sign greenbook

Sign power of attorney (only needed if you are not present during the transfer, its better to go with them to make sure its actually transferred to avoid tickets in your name and in case they rob a bank or ride around naked, with the plates in your name)

is there any place on the internett where you can download the paipers that are needed for sale. I've sold a bike last time, but sence the bike was registrated on my dad's wife, she have to do the paipers in norway and I will bring them with me to do the transaction when I go back in two weeks time. She is thai.

Sorry for my poor english

is there any place on the internett where you can download the paipers that are needed for sale. I've sold a bike last time, but sence the bike was registrated on my dad's wife, she have to do the paipers in norway and I will bring them with me to do the transaction when I go back in two weeks time. She is thai.

Sorry for my poor english

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/eform/index.php

Yes I am curious about the residence letter for selling, I got a bike that still needs to be transferred to my friends name. He is waiting a bit for visa reasons but I would hate to spend again 900 bt for a residence letter. But if that is what has to be done then I will.

I live in Phuket and have purchased four motorbikes and one car all in my name. I required a residency certificate each time.

I am now considering selling a few of the bikes and so I am interested to know if a residency certificate is required for the SELLER.

I have reviewed all of the threads on this matter and there is a good deal of conflicting opinion/advice.

Has anyone sold a bike or car recently in Phuket, and if so (as the SELLER) were you required to provide a residency certificate to complete the transfer at the transport office?

Thanks...

According to my girlfriend, who freely admits she is not 100% sure, the seller would not require a residence certificate.

However, like all government offices here, each DLT office will have its own practices.

According to my girlfriend, who freely admits she is not 100% sure, the seller would not require a residence certificate.

However, like all government offices here, each DLT office will have its own practices.

Briggsy, I agree with your GF. Technically, according to the instructions on the Green book, both buyer and seller must provide residence documentation. However, since the seller -previously a buyer- has already provided residence documentation, most DLT offices will only insist on the new buyer providing residence information.

@Rob. Go to Pattaya Immigration, they will gicve you a residence letter for 300 baht :)

Hmm, the only bike i sold i didnt need a certificate, tho there were quite a few papers i had to sign.

The buyer did all the work, he just came to have this and that signed.

Same here. I've sold one bike and bought three. Only needed residence letters when buying.

Hmm, the only bike i sold i didnt need a certificate, tho there were quite a few papers i had to sign.

Same here. I've sold one bike and bought three. Only needed residence letters when buying.

Yes..I would like to think that I didn't have to obtain more bl**dy residency certificates as a seller. But I would be grateful if anyone has recently done a transfer at the Phuket transport office as a seller and they can confirm that the RC is not required...

Yes..I would like to think that I didn't have to obtain more bl**dy residency certificates as a seller. But I would be grateful if anyone has recently done a transfer at the Phuket transport office as a seller and they can confirm that the RC is not required...

I have sold a couple of cars and a couple of bikes here in Phuket, did not need a residence certificate as the seller!!