advice on visas

i'm planning a long vacation (6 months or more) and would like to spend that time in thailand. At first I thought I would just do visa runs every month but a friend of mine was saying they will only allow you a "certain" amount of back to back visas.

What are my options? I don't plan on working. I'm American, 29 years old.

if that wasn't enough, I'd like to bring my girlfriend (30) with me (who is filipino with a philippines passport) and have her stay with me that time

I'd like these visas to be multiple entry because i'd like to visit neighboring countries (vietnam, cambodia, china etc..)

Your best option would be a triple entry tourist visa. If you get the visa just before your departure, you can get almost 270 days permission to stay with 2 border runs and 3 30 day extensions. It will allow you to leave Thailand twice. On the last entry you will get 60 days which can be extended for another 30 days. After that you will either have to get another tourist visa in a neighboring country or do border runs and get visa exempt entries, 15 days by land, 30 days by air. I don't know if Filipinos can get the triple in the US, but someone will be along soon with additional info.

You could also phone or e-mail the Honorary Consulate in Portland and ask them, however they are closed for summer holiday until 19 August:

Visa application porcedures, Portland Oregon.doc

Edited by wayned

There is no multi entry visa option. Three entry tourist visa would cover the time but may require reentry permits for much travel or cover less time. There is no limit on 30 day visa exempt air entry and at least 4 land entries would be allowed at any crossing.

Sent from my i-mobile i-note WIFI3 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You don't state if your GF is with you in the states at the moment.

She likely will not have much problems getting a visa in the USA, at the very least a single entry tourist.

For yourself, you could get a triple entry tourist visa.

If your GF is currently in the Philippines, it'll be a bit harder. The Thai embassy in Manilla is notoriously difficult issuing visa's.

As a Filipino, she does get 30 days on entry in Thailand just like we do when arriving without visa. She would need however an outbound ticket for departure within those 30 days.

Additionally, Filipino immigration can be though on allowing Filipino's to leave the Philippines! Again, round trip ticket and sufficient funds likely will be asked for.

Many Filipino's come on 30 day visa's and then proceed to get a Thai visa in one of the neighbouring countries here (Malaysia, Laos,...).

Filipino's have one advantage over Westerners, and that is that they do not need to buy a visa on arrival when travelling into Cambodia! Makes the border-run a fair bit cheaper if they need to do one.

Extremely difficult for young Filipina ladies to get Thai visa in PH. Had that happen to very good friend here just four months ago, weeks of back and forth hassle, trips to airport, tears and in the end result was bupkas, nada, nothing doing. Suggest you consider flight to Malaysia first, do a bit of touring there then get TH visa for her in Kuala Lumpur.