non-immigrant visa O-A long stay

So I am confused again about the requirements for this visa. On the website it says the visa processing fee is $200 US for multiple entries for the non-immigrant visa O-A long stay. Then below it it says " if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for a re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. I guess my first question is the $200 visa fee for multiple entries enables you to leave and re-enter Thailand multiple times but I take it you still have to go to Immigration office to obtain a re-entry permit. Is this correct, and if so, how much does it cost for a single or multiple re-entry permit? The second question I have concerning the non-immigrant visa O-A long stay visa is once you successfully complete all the requirements to obtain this visa for one year what happens if you want to extend it for another year? Do you have to go through the whole process again or is it less complicated and time-consuming when seeking an extension? What are the fees to extend it another year? Thank you for any and all information.

A multi entry non-immigrant visa O-A will be valid for one year and will give you a one year permitted to stay stamp in your passport on entry, if you leave and re-enter Thailand within the one year validity of the original visa you will get another one year permitted to stay stamp, that would apply if you entered one day before the visa expiry date.

If you leave Thailand after the expiry date of the visa ( but with a valid permission to stay stamp )then a re-entry permit from local immigration office within Thailand would be required, therefore the one year non-immigrant visa O-A would in fact give you 2 years in Thailand with only one border run.

within the validity of the original visa no re-entry permit would be required.

don't forget that you would have to report to local immigration every 90 days.

non-immigrant visa O-A are only issued from embassies and not consulates afaik

any extension of the visa after the 2 year period would be done within Thailand at a local immigration office, make the application within the last 30 days of the permitted to stay stamp, search on here for docs etc. required

Edited by steve187

We just arrived on a multi entry O visa. It is valid for 1 year but the stamp at the airport was only 90 days. It will cost 1900 to extend that 90 day period. I am no expert but the authorized length of your stay is different from the visa length.

In short, at least we still have to go to extend our period of stay before 90 days even though we have a 1 year multiple entry visa.

PS getting the visa took a very long time (over 2 months) and many letters, faxes, emails, and phone calls to the embassy.

We just arrived on a multi entry O visa. It is valid for 1 year but the stamp at the airport was only 90 days. It will cost 1900 to extend that 90 day period. I am no expert but the authorized length of your stay is different from the visa length.

In short, at least we still have to go to extend our period of stay before 90 days even though we have a 1 year multiple entry visa.

PS getting the visa took a very long time (over 2 months) and many letters, faxes, emails, and phone calls to the embassy.

You need to exit the country (border run) every 90 days.

To be more direct your Non O-A multiple visa will allow you to stay in Thailand for a one year period and a you can come and go from Thailand as many times as you wish without getting a re-entry permit. Each time you leave and re-enter Thailand during the life of the visa (until the enter before date on the visa) you will receive permission to stay for an additional year. Once the visa expires so does the multiple entry part of it, so you must get a re-entry permit if you leave after the visa has expired (but your permission to stay is still in force.) If you leave Thailand after the use by date on your O-A visa you will need to get a re-entry permit so that your permission to stay remains valid when you return. You need to be aware of the visa use by date (look at the O-A visa for this date)as well as your permission to stay date (this date will in the stamp you got on arrival in Thailand.)Most O-A visa holders leave Thailand and return very near but before their visa use before date so as to receive an additional year of stay without having to get an extension of stay. Once that last year is over, you can go to immigration and get an extension of stay if you meet the financial requirements.

You have a Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa.

The OP is asking about a Multi Entry Non Imm O-A Visa.

You have multiple entries of up to 90 days each entry.

Leave and return to get another 90 days.

The op has multiple entries of up to 12 months each entry.

• Like 1

Ah thanks! Actually I have a "M" and my family has "O" visas. I think the 90 day entry period is the same for both though. It seems that the O-A would have been better.

Ah thanks! Actually I have a "M" and my family has "O" visas. I think the 90 day entry period is the same for both though. It seems that the O-A would have been better.

Not entirely sure the O-A visa would have been better for you.

As you have the M type visa we assume you will be working as a journalist here, and I'm not entirely sure that labour department is willing to issue a work permit based on that type of stay.

I cannot recall having read about one of our members applying for a work permit based on that visa, but in general a non immigrant B or a non immigrant O based on marriage is required for Labour department to issue a work permit!

Thanks for the info. The folks that are sponsoring us here said that if we did a border run when we return we would end up with a tourist visa. They said we should do the 1900 extension process and have prepared the paperwork for us.

Not true.

You will receive 90 day entry every time you enter, as long as you are still within the 1 year validity of your visa.

Even when you enter 1 day before the validity of your visa expires, you'll still get another 90 days.

You cannot get 90 day extensions within Thailand, any extension will be for 1 full year. So if approved for that obviously better then going to the border every 90 days!

Not forget, if you get a 1 year extension, you still have to report to immigration every 90 days to confirm your address.

Your first extension counts as your first report date, so next one 90 days after you got your extension.

Any subsequent extensions DO NOT count as address reporting! Make sure to keep track and do your address reporting as required, even if it is just a few weeks after you got your second extension!

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. The folks that are sponsoring us here said that if we did a border run when we return we would end up with a tourist visa. They said we should do the 1900 extension process and have prepared the paperwork for us.

Not true.

You will receive 90 day entry every time you enter, as long as you are still within the 1 year validity of your visa.

Even when you enter 1 day before the validity of your visa expires, you'll still get another 90 days.

You cannot get 90 day extensions within Thailand, any extension will be for 1 full year. So if approved for that obviously better then going to the border every 90 days!

Not forget, if you get a 1 year extension, you still have to report to immigration every 90 days to confirm your address.

Your first extension counts as your first report date, so next one 90 days after you got your extension.

Any subsequent extensions DO NOT count as address reporting! Make sure to keep track and do your address reporting as required, even if it is just a few weeks after you got your second extension!

If I change location before the 90 days do I have to go and report my new adress immediatly? 0r do I wait the 90th day?

A multi entry non-immigrant visa O-A will be valid for one year and will give you a one year permitted to stay stamp in your passport on entry, if you leave and re-enter Thailand within the one year validity of the original visa you will get another one year permitted to stay stamp, that would apply if you entered one day before the visa expiry date.

If you leave Thailand after the expiry date of the visa ( but with a valid permission to stay stamp )then a re-entry permit from local immigration office within Thailand would be required, therefore the one year non-immigrant visa O-A would in fact give you 2 years in Thailand with only one border run.

any extension of the visa after the 2 year period would be done within Thailand at a local immigration office, make the application within the last 30 days of the permitted to stay stamp, search on here for docs etc. required

"non-immigrant visa O-A are only issued from embassies and not consulates afaik"

I got mine from the consulate in Dubai. Was informed that they were easier to deal with than the embassy in Abu Dhabi for this visa. Possibly you meant not issued by "honorary" consulates in the US??

Edited by Suradit69

"...but I take it you still have to go to Immigration office to obtain a re-entry permit. Is this correct, and if so, how much does it cost for a single or multiple re-entry permit?"

The cost is 1000 ฿ for a single entry and 3800 ฿ for a multiple entry re-entry permit.

In a few days I will be going to get my multi-entry O-A Visa extended for another year and I still meet all the requirements as published by the immigration department. I'm just curious to know if my new visa that will cost Bht. 1900 will also be a multi-entry one or do I have to make a special request and pay more in order to get it. I obtained my current O-A visa from the Thai Embassy in Washington and it was an extremely smooth process (got it back by mail in less than 5 days!). Thanks for any information that anyone might have.

Extension is not a visa. Cost is 1,900 baht but will not allow travel so if you want to exit/return each re-entry permit will cost 1,000 baht or you can buy a multi re-entry for 3,800 baht. You can do this immediately after extension or any time before travel from immigration office issuing extension and many airport exit points.

In a few days I will be going to get my multi-entry O-A Visa extended for another year and I still meet all the requirements as published by the immigration department. I'm just curious to know if my new visa that will cost Bht. 1900 will also be a multi-entry one or do I have to make a special request and pay more in order to get it. I obtained my current O-A visa from the Thai Embassy in Washington and it was an extremely smooth process (got it back by mail in less than 5 days!). Thanks for any information that anyone might have.

1. You won't be getting any NEW visa. You'll be getting an annual EXTENSION based on retirement. Cost 1900 baht.

2. No, it will not be multiple entry. It is good for a one year stay.

3. If you need reentry permits you may purchase them (separate application) as either single ones or multiple. Single ones are 1000 baht each.

4. Your new extension works differently than your original O-A visa. When you leave and reenter Thailand now with a reentry permit, you get stamped in until the end of your current one year permission to stay. You do NOT get a "new" year as people on multiple O-A's do for as long as the original visa is valid.

• Like 1

You will not extend your visa. You will be extending your permit to stay based upon retirement. The extension costs 1900 baht.

Are you aware that you can use your visa up to the expiration date (enter before date) and get another one year entry. After that date you would have to get re-entry permits to keep your permit to stay valid.

After getting the extension you will need to get a re-entry permit before you leave the country. Single is 1000 baht multiple is 3800 baht.

I agree with most of the posted answers but would like to add that the advantage of an "O-A" visa (also known as the old -age visa ha ha) is that you do not have to leave the country every 90 days. After your year is up you need to do the proof of income via your consulate and have it notarized . (for me it is the US consulate in CM) where all you have to do is raise your hand and swear the income you report is a true statement. I got my O-A visa at the Thai consulate in L.A. last may. This is the third time I've do this in the last 15 years. Another advantage is that you do not have to have a return ticket.

Most people who are actually retiring in Thailand that started with an O-A eventually enter the annual retirement extension system in Thailand. Of course there is no reason why doing "serial" O-As can't work for some people. There is no need to EVER get even one O-A visa to enter the retirement extension system in Thailand.

"non-immigrant visa O-A are only issued from embassies and not consulates afaik"

I got mine from the consulate in Dubai. Was informed that they were easier to deal with than the embassy in Abu Dhabi for this visa. Possibly you meant not issued by "honorary" consulates in the US??

thanks for that, I'm from the UK, the only place to get O'A' visa here is the embassy, i thought other countries may be different.

Actually it is the Consulate section in the Thai Embassy that issues visas - in some countries, such as USA, there are other official consulates available (staffed by Thai Consular Officers) in addition to that at the Embassy in Washington DC.

I agree with most of the posted answers but would like to add that the advantage of an "O-A" visa (also known as the old -age visa ha ha) is that you do not have to leave the country every 90 days. After your year is up you need to do the proof of income via your consulate and have it notarized . (for me it is the US consulate in CM) where all you have to do is raise your hand and swear the income you report is a true statement. I got my O-A visa at the Thai consulate in L.A. last may. This is the third time I've do this in the last 15 years. Another advantage is that you do not have to have a return ticket.

In doing this in the States, which I figure would be your home, did you have to produce police certificate and is it a Doctor's certificate also?

Would I have to if applying for one in Vientiane? I'm Canadian 4 years here now on Non B's, W.P.'s, had a Non B, trasferred to retirement in Thailand (it must have been the first 90 days, as they would not give me an extension based on work), then went back to Non B and work again before a year.

O-A visas are applied for in your home country only. For those a police and health form are ALWAYS needed.

For applications for an O visa in Laos, O-A would not be available, and no police or health form needed.

For retirement extensions in Thailand, no police or health form needed.

For change of visa status from tourist or 30 day stamp to single O visa (O-A's never available) done in Thailand as the first step towards a retirement extension application, no police or health form needed.

Edited by Jingthing

I am still struggling with this issue so if some of my questions sound illogical it's because I am still trying to grasp the essential elements of this visa.I am sill confused about the multi-entry non-immigrant visa O-A. Am I correct since this visa will be valid for one year,if I leave and re-enter Thailand one day before the visa expires then I would get another one year permitted to stay stamp so essentially I get 2 years? Another question, if I leave Thailand after the expiry of the visa (but with a valid permission to stay stamp) then a re-entry permit form local immigration office within Thailand would be required. How would I be able to re-enter Thailand without the re-entry permit which I could only get if I was already in Thailand? Another question,if I left and re-entered Thailand one day before the visa expired, I take it I would have to pay the 1900 baht fee at the border to get the additional 12 month extension ( another one year permitted to stay stamp) ?