planning to go to chiang mai for a week's holiday

snake24

Planning to buy a ball of string. How long should it be?

(Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll get my coat)

What you looking for, friend? City life? Country life? Party life? Temples, mountains & caves or Elephants & Ziplining? Guesthouse or 5 star?

Whatever your answer, you'll find most of it here, it's a nice place...

hi guys basically something unique to cnx hopefully it isn't too vague.

Just 2 adults. I don't mind the outdoors and the temples etc even though i feel that thai temples are rather generic and if you seen one temple u probably seen them all hope i'm not making a big generalization.

Perhaps go on some short hikes. I don't mind the city life either. Hanging out in some pubs or clubs.

Flying in from bkk and then flying back after 6 days.

prepared to spend 1k usd sounds a lot since i read some ppl that stay in thailand for months probably use less but if i can save i don;t mind.

thought of staying at Mae Jo Golf Club & Resort or else it's Centara Duangtawan Hotel which is more upscale and pricier.

Well the Central Duangtawan Hotel has a decent gym and swimming pool and is close to the old city walking distance. Only about 50 feet from the Night Bazaar. Lots of public transportation. Also tourist offices. A night Life between it and the old city.

The Nimmanhaemin area has a night life and lots of younger people.

The Two Wat's I like are both in the old city Wat Chediluang with a monk chat garden and Wat Phrasing with a tree grove where you can sit and have a bite to eat amongst trees each with a spiritual saying on it. Also the temple out past the zoo overlooking Chiang Mai.

There is a sedgway rental run by the same company that has zip lines in the tree tops. Elephant camps, Tiger Kingdom Monkey shows trails to hike you name it and we have it. Just not in the quantity that Bangkok and Pattaya have and no beaches.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 2

Visit the numerous temples, (seen one, seen them all), witness the animal suffering and cruelty at the elephant farm, the zoo, tiger temples and night safari. The world famous Night Bazaar is now only a remnant of what it used to be, not really worth visiting. No nightlife to speak of, except perhaps an old granny massage, parlours spread around the town and open quite late. All that should take no more than about 3 days, after which you would have seen most of what Chiang Mai has to offer. Oh, yes, and not forgetting the splendor of shopping at the supermarkets, Big C, Makros and of course now known as the 8th wonder of the world, the amazing super highway branch of Tesco Lotus.

My advice is; only book provisionally for one week and then if you become bored, you have the option to move on somewhere else more exciting.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Visit the numerous temples, (seen one, seen them all), witness the animal suffering and cruelty at the elephant farm, the zoo, tiger temples and night safari. No nightlife to speak of, except perhaps an old granny massage, parlours spread around the town and open quite late. All that should take no more than about 3 days, after which you would have seen most of what Chiang Mai has to offer. Oh, yes, and not forgetting the splendor of shopping at the supermarkets, Big C, Makros and of course now known as the 8th wonder of the world, the amazing super highway branch of Tesco Lotus.

My advice is; only book provisionally for one week and then if you become bored, you have the option to move on somewhere else more exciting.

Serious? There isn't any night life? Chiang mai should be considered the country side but it isn't as deserted as some of those issan provinces i would be surprised there wasn't some thriving night scene unless of course you're just joking.

Visit the numerous temples, (seen one, seen them all), witness the animal suffering and cruelty at the elephant farm, the zoo, tiger temples and night safari. No nightlife to speak of, except perhaps an old granny massage, parlours spread around the town and open quite late. All that should take no more than about 3 days, after which you would have seen most of what Chiang Mai has to offer. Oh, yes, and not forgetting the splendor of shopping at the supermarkets, Big C, Makros and of course now known as the 8th wonder of the world, the amazing super highway branch of Tesco Lotus.

Serious? There isn't any night life? Chiang mai should be considered the country side but it isn't as deserted as some of those issan provinces i would be surprised there wasn't some thriving night scene unless of course you're just joking.

Then I`m afraid you are going to be surprised. Very surprised in fact, perhaps even shocked?

Edited by Beetlejuice

I did notice a bunch of cool looking bars opposite the JJ markets this afternoon. Can't offer any advice on actual night life. (Sitting here in my pjs on a Saturday night).

Perhaps some useful replies will be forthcoming tomorrow when revellers have returned home.

Anyway, off to bed with a good book . That should say it all really....

Take a nice evening walk on outer ring of the south east corner of the most...

Serious? There isn't any night life?

A buddy just visited who lived here from 1989-1996. He started in Phuket, spent a few days in Bangkok and a few days in Chiang Mai. He enjoyed the night life in Chiang Mai and regretted not scheduling a few more days.

Of course, the night life here does not measure up to Pattaya or Bangkok - it never did - but it is better than a lot of cities in other countries.

• Like 1

Visit the numerous temples, (seen one, seen them all), witness the animal suffering and cruelty at the elephant farm, the zoo, tiger temples and night safari. The world famous Night Bazaar is now only a remnant of what it used to be, not really worth visiting. No nightlife to speak of, except perhaps an old granny massage, parlours spread around the town and open quite late. All that should take no more than about 3 days, after which you would have seen most of what Chiang Mai has to offer. Oh, yes, and not forgetting the splendor of shopping at the supermarkets, Big C, Makros and of course now known as the 8th wonder of the world, the amazing super highway branch of Tesco Lotus.

what rubbish!

Some of the best mountain biking, kayaking and white water rafting.Hikeing in Beautiful scenery. Cool weather. Friendliest people. Superb restaurants. Who cares about the nightlife. Safer than any place in Thailand too.

I have just moved back to Chiangmai, bored with the sleaze and low life in places like Pattaya and Phuket.

• Like 2

re

Take a nice evening walk on outer ring of the south east corner of the most

hes into ladyboys ?

dave2

ps ... hellodolly

re

Also the temple out past the zoo overlooking Chiang Mai.

its called wat sri soda !... enjoy smile.png

post-42592-0-12699000-1376148951_thumb.j

post-42592-0-94994700-1376149292_thumb.j

I did notice a bunch of cool looking bars opposite the JJ markets this afternoon. Can't offer any advice on actual night life. (Sitting here in my pjs on a Saturday night).

Perhaps some useful replies will be forthcoming tomorrow when revellers have returned home.

Anyway, off to bed with a good book . That should say it all really....

Those bars would be fine if you are 22 years old.

Just ignore him. From most of his posts it would seem that he has never been into the city of Chiang Mai. Doesn't seem to know any thing about it. More than likely spent a night in a run down resort 50 miles out of town.

He neglected to mention that we do have shopping malls here three of them have movie theaters of high quality. One of them KSG generally shows Thai shows. The other two have the popular English ones. As I mentioned in an earlier post we do have an area with night life that has a lot of youbnger people in it. IOt is close to a large collage. also lots of Yuppies there but on your expense account it might be a little high.

• Like 1

Then I`m afraid you are going to be surprised. Very surprised in fact, perhaps even shocked?

Right.. right. :) Time for your medication, Beetlejuice.

(I've done this numerous times in the past, just quote his statement and post a couple pictures, for um, illustration. Yet he persists. ;) )

Let's see, let's start with pictures from ONE bar, that's a bit in the expat/tourist scene. (I could go on all day with nightlife pics from all over the place, in various scenes)

post-64232-0-81890100-1376181893_thumb.j post-64232-0-21684200-1376181902_thumb.j post-64232-0-64131700-1376181915_thumb.j

post-64232-0-73085400-1376181924_thumb.j post-64232-0-09171500-1376181938_thumb.j post-64232-0-24769900-1376181945_thumb.j

Beetlejuice literally has no idea.

• Like 1

Thapae gate area if you want to meet backpacker types and be around English speakers. 99% foreigner (lodging between Ratchwithi and Ratchdamnoen roads, Zoe's on Rathwithi road is where most the foreigners in CNX go that have been here a while, go after 10pm)

Nimanheimin if your tired of reggae music, and want to experience normal nightlife with crowded pubs and a more affluent mix of people. (99% thai , under 35 )

Loy Kroh road if your shopping for a date. 50/50 - Thai / foreigner

Spicy or Hotshot after all the other bars close (every tuk tuk driver will know) 75/25 Foreigner/Thai

Plenty of nightlife in CNX. Just take your pick.

Places to visit, things to see:-

Ban Tawai - artifacts and furniture

Mandarin Oriental Hotel - horse & buggy inspection of extensive grounds and gardens

Ratchapruek Royal Flora gardens

Wat Pra That - Doi Suthep - it's a unique Temple!

King of Flight or jungle Flight - ziplining (less commercial, less exxy than the Gibbon) fabulous jungle views!

The Dukes restaurant for Texan style ribs

Paak Dang restaurant for romantic riverside Thai food

Sunday walking St market in old city

..... just a few of my favourtes!

• Like 1

It would be illuminating if Winnie could share some of his photos of young ladies working in the bars in CM. It would dispel any notions that there are no attractive women working there. wub.png

Ummm.. I could, yes... But that would completely derail the topic. And that could end my current incredible run of good behavior.

Don"t let that stop you!!!