planning to go to chiang mai for a week's holiday

snake24

There are some beautiful waterfalls and hot springs near Mae Rim, Doi Saket and San Kamphaeng. If you are adventurous and love outdoors, we recommend these. Take your wet weather gear as it rains in the mountains quite frequently (it seemed like the whole day when we went last week), bottled water and some snacks. However if you do go to Mae Sa waterfall, do drop in to Tea Garden on the way back for a wonderful afternoon tea - the coffee and scones are fabulous. There are also offroad dirt buggies and 4 wheeler motorbikes on that road. Tiger Kingdom is also up that way if you are into patting tiger cubs.

Two other Wats in Chiang Mai that I liked were Wat Chiang Man and Wat Dok Eung. They both have really beautiful paintings and other artwork. They also tend to be a little less overrun by the tourist crowds. Bhuping Palace (Bhubing) is also worth a visit, IMO. Some really beautiful flower gardens, bamboo groves, and nice place to visit. I enjoyed Bhuping Palace much more than the crowded Wat Phra That Doi Suthep.

To the negative posters - why do you waste your time and everyone elses? It wouldn't be so bad if you were correct.

To the positive posters - thanks, you are reminding me why I feel 'homesick' and that it's time to start planning the winter return.

I didn't see any mention of the Zoo - supposed to be very good although I can't speak from experience, I found so much to do I never got around to it.

Not this week, lots of flooding.

These photos from cm108.com shows the Ping river is not flooding. I believe the new sluice gates below the city are being managed to hold water back, ie: a controlled release.

post-2-0-58169000-1376211172.jpg

These pics from opposite River Market, Loi Kroh Rd/Iron Bridge.... arguably one of the lowest points in our city >

post-2-0-53109200-1376211233.jpg

Flash flooding occurs in many locations during sustained rainfall mainly due to inadequate drains or blockages. The old city is particularly susceptible >

post-2-0-16264400-1375870561.jpg

• Like 1

Has been fine out in Mae Rim for the past couple of hours, hope it holds up for a bit longer. Noticed quite a bit of flooding on some streets around Chiang Mai gate yesterday. Has been a bit of rain everywhere the last 24hrs. Ground here is now waterlogged, the motorbike even wheel spins when moving off....hasnt happened before.

Good photos Dave2. Rob... as usual thumbsup.gif

Edited by CMKiwi

I did notice a bunch of cool looking bars opposite the JJ markets this afternoon. Can't offer any advice on actual night life. (Sitting here in my pjs on a Saturday night).

Perhaps some useful replies will be forthcoming tomorrow when revellers have returned home.

Anyway, off to bed with a good book . That should say it all really....

Those bars would be fine if you are 22 years old.

Yes, Chiang Mai has become quite the hip college town with CMU, Rajabhat, Payap, and Mae Jo as the backbone. Back when I was teaching at a local college in the late 1980s, few Thai college kids were into drinking and going out to clubs. But the emergence of the old RCA in Bangkok changed all that and today Chiang Mai has, in the minds of the young artsy fartsy Thais, the hippest young club and pub scene in the Kingdom.

• Like 1

Here's my vote for the best 5 ingredient Pad Thai in Chiang Mai. Pad Thai is all they serve along with drinks and snacks. A plate of Pad Thai on a banana leaf was 25 baht, although they may have recently raised their prices to 30 baht per plate. They also have fresh squeezed Orange Juice until they sell out.

Turn right on Chang Moi Soi 3 from Thapae Road (the road is roughly opposite of 7/11 but towards Thapae Gate. The soi has a street sign marked Chang Moi Soi 3). Drive until you can see the soi ending at Chang Moi Road in front of you (one way traffic running left to right), The shop is on the right side of soi 3. Parking available in the covered garage to the left of the shop. Cheap and delicious. Google Earth placemark attached.

Best 5 ingredant Pad Thai in Chiang Mai.kmz

Much more could be made of Chiang Mai. The banks of the river ping could be made into beautiful walkways. Parks and gardens should be built. Thae Pae Gate should have many seats round its perimiter so that,at last,tourists can have somewhere to sit.

The night bazzar should be moved and Chan Klan Road should be made into a clean,respectable shopping street.. Get rid of the dirty food stalls and "put to sleep" the poor stray dogs.

The locals should stop calling ex-pats farangs and try to curtail their envy of foreigners which can lead to violence. They should remember that Thailand is a poor,unimportant country worldwide and realise they are being brainwashed from an early age to think differently.

I wish Thailand well and I keep my fingers crossed for them and their tourist industry.

• Like 1

Visit the numerous temples, (seen one, seen them all), witness the animal suffering and cruelty at the elephant farm, the zoo, tiger temples and night safari. The world famous Night Bazaar is now only a remnant of what it used to be, not really worth visiting. No nightlife to speak of, except perhaps an old granny massage, parlours spread around the town and open quite late. All that should take no more than about 3 days, after which you would have seen most of what Chiang Mai has to offer. Oh, yes, and not forgetting the splendor of shopping at the supermarkets, Big C, Makros and of course now known as the 8th wonder of the world, the amazing super highway branch of Tesco Lotus.

My advice is; only book provisionally for one week and then if you become bored, you have the option to move on somewhere else more exciting.

Wow. Talk about a disenchanted expat. Maybe it's time to either go back to your home country or find a different place to live.

OP. I'd ignore this post. It's not a fair review of Chiang Mai in my humble opinion. BJ may disagree.

There are a few decent things to see and do in Chiang Mai, but it`s all very limited and when the OP arrives in Chiang Mai, he can form his own opinions.

If he doesn`t have any raised expectations of Chiang Mai, he may not be so disappointed later on.

As for buggering off something else, no, I`m going to stay just to annoy you lot.

• Like 1

cheesy.gif

Visit the numerous temples, (seen one, seen them all), witness the animal suffering and cruelty at the elephant farm, the zoo, tiger temples and night safari. The world famous Night Bazaar is now only a remnant of what it used to be, not really worth visiting. No nightlife to speak of, except perhaps an old granny massage, parlours spread around the town and open quite late. All that should take no more than about 3 days, after which you would have seen most of what Chiang Mai has to offer. Oh, yes, and not forgetting the splendor of shopping at the supermarkets, Big C, Makros and of course now known as the 8th wonder of the world, the amazing super highway branch of Tesco Lotus.

My advice is; only book provisionally for one week and then if you become bored, you have the option to move on somewhere else more exciting.

I would spend 1 day in the old city; walking or renting a pedal bike. during the day take a trip to doi pui and then doi suthep on the way back down. at night, i like walking around and seeing whatever. night market, temples, whatever.....find some temples near CMU, and even go for an overnight trek for 1-2 nights. you generally meet some interesting people on those treks, even though i only did one. i would also find a way to saeomg or whatever, mainly for the views and a different experience. chiang dao caves are OK, if you have a free day. i like the morning coffee, exercise, explore, relax, explore some more and talk to different people. one week is enough in CM. but 1 month is better since it gives you more time to really unwind and do what you want, when you want. ideally i would go to CM every year from october to february.

"... "put to sleep" the poor stray dogs.

The locals should stop calling ex-pats farangs and try to curtail their envy of foreigners which can lead to violence. They should remember that Thailand is a poor,unimportant country worldwide and realise they are being brainwashed from an early age to think differently.

LOL what Thailand did you visit? "curtail their envy of foreigners...Thailand is a poor,unimportant country worldwide..."

WOW, guess you never read the trade/export numbers or know any Thais.

What does your jealousy/hateful personal feelings have to do with a couple of tourists looking to hang out in C.M. for a week and looking for ideas anyway?

• Like 1

"... "put to sleep" the poor stray dogs.

LOL what Thailand did you visit? "curtail their envy of foreigners...Thailand is a poor,unimportant country worldwide..."

WOW, guess you never read the trade/export numbers or know any Thais.

What does your jealousy/hateful personal feelings have to do with a couple of tourists looking to hang out in C.M. for a week and looking for ideas anyway?

22K should visit a genuinely poor country UK or USA ... where a 'look' can lead to violence, never mind envy!

I spent 4 days in Chiang Mai with my girlfriend last month; -

Night safari

Doi Intapon (spelling?) - highest point in Thailand - take warm and waterproof clothing. It was less than 15 C at the top.

Monkey show, snake show and elephant show. Not really my scene but girlfriend enjoyed them. One of the snake handlers got bitten though fortunately for him,

it wasn't one of the poisonous ones!

Doi Sutep

The night safari and animal shows were booked through the tourist office before you go through the security check at Don Muang. We took a songtau up to Doi Sutep - at a much lower cost than the

tourist office would have charged.

Alan

What little idea people have about poverty. How can someone call the richest country in the world USA poor? The main reason ex-pats come to Thailand is because Thailand is poor and their country is rich.Therefore,their money is worth more. Simple stuff isnt it?

What little idea people have about poverty. How can someone call the richest country in the world USA poor? The main reason ex-pats come to Thailand is because Thailand is poor and their country is rich.Therefore,their money is worth more. Simple stuff isnt it?

No poverty here pal.

How about posting positive, factual information instead of innuendo? Otherwise you may be (are) perceived as pathetic troll.

Fact is, many expats choose Thailand for its superior, less regulated and easier lifestyle. I know of several expat multi-billionaires (US, UK and Swiss) doing exactly this. The rest of us get by on a modest income and live very well in a fabulous society with family lifestyle values long forgotten in your nanny state(s).

• Like 1

No poverty here pal.

How about posting positive, factual information instead of innuendo? Otherwise you may be (are) perceived as pathetic troll.

Fact is, many expats choose Thailand for its superior, less regulated and easier lifestyle. I know of several expat multi-billionaires (US, UK and Swiss) doing exactly this. The rest of us get by on a modest income and live very well in a fabulous society with family lifestyle values long forgotten in your nanny state(s).

Family lifestyle values??? Clearly you have never lived in a typical Thai village which has all the virtues of a Peyton Place with dysfunctional familes, countless love triangles, and disenfranchied children. But Thailand does indeed have a very good national healthcare system that would be the envy of most people in the US apart from those who have taken to drinking the Republican Kool-Aid a wee bit too much.

• Like 1

WOW, very hard to believe that anbody realy lives in CM,

Ciang Mai has the best night life in Thaland!

of course not so many Red light bars like the south but for sure most places with great life music,

beautiful women, great customers,

for tourists: Hot shot, Spicy, (after 1 or 2 a.m. before Loy Kroh road this is what you have everywhere in Thailand

but there are other places what make Chiang Mai outstanding:

restaurants: Tiger Kindom (normal prices) BBQ next to Furama hotel 199 baht all you can eat includes alco free drinks, only for the seafood you pay elsewhere 1000 baht and more, Chiang Mai Saloon (middle od Loy Kroh road) great Mexican/american/thai food in good atmosphere (small Chang 45 bath)

if you want to have a great night and you want to see where the Chaing mai people go:

Riverside, Good View, Tara Bar, White House, all with life music and great food, and all packed every night from 9 pm up,

monkey house, Warm Up ( great place for younger people up to 40)

for sure there are much more places, but i giess for 1 week enough

I would agree -- spent four days here two years ago -- best week in Thailand so far but I guess it depends on what your definition of "nightlife" is. I can wander the night market for hours. Sit at a coffee place for a bit and then walk around some more. There is the Kantoke show -- which is dinner and a dance show but I don't know if that counts as nightlife? We got back to the hotel at about 10PM and then I went back to the night market. There's wasn't a night I was in bed before midnight (that's late for me).

Nope - totally do not agree - if rich is spending beyond your means - taxed beyond your comprehension & having your dreams short ciruited - that's the US...if you want to believe that your RV makes you better than the man next to you (when he could buy you twice over) you're in the wrong campground......Thailand gives you an honest chance to amend/reclaim yourself (as you wish or forsee your own future).......

Get over yourself (what little of it it is you perceive) expats that have been here awhile cultivating the nuances that come with the Thai lifestyle embrace and re-embrace it.....there's a reason for that......

Ugly americans need not apply.......

Pretend you are a big deal - then deal yourself out - - this is a nice country - go back if it's not good enough for you.....

Edited by pgrahmm