Test rides (when selling a bike privately)

Briggsy

I would like to know how posters approached the question of prospective buyers, who are strangers to the seller, of a motorbike asking for a test ride.

I have done private sales in the UK and always asked for I.D. and weighed up their general appearance, demeanour, etc and had no people disappearing off into the distance on my bike or coming back with the brake levers bent around the handlebars and a big scrape up the fairing. Probably good luck more than anything else.

Here are some ideas:-

1. Buyer leaves I.D., preferably identity card.

2. Buyer leaves a cash deposit with the condo office.

3. Buyer leaves the keys of the vehicle he came in or on with me. I don't want a clapped out, crash-damaged Tena though.

4. Allow test rides in the condo car park only.

5. Take the prospective buyer out on the back with me riding.

6. I ride pillion whilst buyer is at the controls. (For some reason I don't like the sound of this).

7. Absolutely no test rides.

I would love to hear your ideas and experiences.

I would like to know how posters approached the question of prospective buyers, who are strangers to the seller, of a motorbike asking for a test ride.

I have done private sales in the UK and always asked for I.D. and weighed up their general appearance, demeanour, etc and had no people disappearing off into the distance on my bike or coming back with the brake levers bent around the handlebars and a big scrape up the fairing. Probably good luck more than anything else.

Here are some ideas:-

1. Buyer leaves I.D., preferably identity card.

2. Buyer leaves a cash deposit with the condo office.

3. Buyer leaves the keys of the vehicle he came in or on with me. I don't want a clapped out, crash-damaged Tena though.

4. Allow test rides in the condo car park only.

5. Take the prospective buyer out on the back with me riding.

6. I ride pillion whilst buyer is at the controls. (For some reason I don't like the sound of this).

7. Absolutely no test rides.

I would love to hear your ideas and experiences.

People will want to drive the bike that's obvious, I have sold a couple of bikes here, each time I asked for there passport, checking first it was there's and it was valid, never had a problem!!

If its below 250cc i always try to find a dead end road where they cant get away.

Most times though people will want to take it out for a longer ride, in this case I ask for their ID or wallet...sometimes I get the ' are you going to steal my wallet look'....but then i remind them they are on my bike. In CNX, Prasertland is a good place to test drive, if they leave the lot then you know something is up.

Most people try to test ride without leaving you anything and wont bring the issue up unless you bring it up first.

2 out of 3 people will not have the cash on them, when i go to buy a bike i do not take all the cash with me in the event i may get robbed.

Edited by KRS1

Yep, i would be very stupid to go buying an expensive bike and tell the seller i have all the cash with me. And i would not give it to him either. The seller wants to sell the bike, not me.

It all depends on the bike, expensive or not. Try to get the passport or at least a signed copy saying the owner is making a test ride with your bike.

I wouldn't give the seller my passport. Same as i wouldn't give a bike rental shop my passport. The seller wants to sell the bike/car/whatever. Its his risk. What if the bike has issues with the brakes and this causes an acident? Nope, no money or passport from me smile.png

EDIT:

And have at least one witness with you. But i guess thats self-evident.

Edited by wantan

^

Then you're not getting a test-ride on my bike.;)

I should give you (a total stranger) my expensive bike with nothing in return? No chance. What's wrong with an exchange of equal value? A seller who would assume 100% of the risk is a fool. There isn't much difference between that and handing the guy XXX baht to walk off with.

Who had the story about letting someone test-ride his bike without leaving cash or documentation and then watching the guy ride off with it, never to be seen again- was it TM?

Let's say I'm selling my 14R and somebody who's never ridden anything but a Click (though he won't let me know that) shows up wanting to test-ride it- I need some security.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

I never run into anyone or any shop that found a reason to safeguard,

i think i would just move on with my life if i heard such suggestion.

Ed: in response to above, i knew it was a shit deal,

but the seller managed to beg his way until i bought it

Edited by poanoi

^

Then you're not getting a test-ride on my bike.wink.png

I should give you (a total stranger) my expensive bike with nothing in return? No chance. What's wrong with an exchange of equal value? A seller who would assume 100% of the risk is a fool.

Who had the story about letting someone test-ride his bike without leaving cash or documentation and then watching the guy ride off with it, never to be seen again- was it TM?

Let's say I'm selling my 14R and somebody who's never ridden anything but a Click (though he won't let me know that) shows up wanting to test-ride it- I need some security.

^ I absolutely understand your point of view. But you should try to understand mine too wink.png

Maybe the bike is broken, stolen, has dodgy book, whatever. Money when transfer is confirmed/finished. Period.

But i guess your bikes would be too expensive for me so no problem at all biggrin.png

^

I should give you (a total stranger) my expensive bike with nothing in return? No chance. What's wrong with an exchange of equal value? A seller who would assume 100% of the risk is a fool. There isn't much difference between that and handing the guy XXX baht to walk off with.

I think you will have a hard time selling your bike when the time comes.

You got full insurance coverage right? Ask the interested buyer to see his Thai MC license and take a photo of it with your mobile phone and perhaps keep his ID card (if Thai) and passport if expat.

If this buyer rides off in the sunset without coming back you call the police and insurance and give both a copy of the Thai license and ID card or passport.

Then you waitwink.png

It all depends on the bike.

Is it a rare bike?

Is it a bike many people are looking for?

Are you selling it for a really good price?

If so, more people will be interested and willing to follow the rules you are dictating. If its a used CBR250 i doubt anyone will give you money for a test ride wink.png

^

You got full insurance coverage right? Ask the interested buyer to see his Thai MC license and take a photo of it with your mobile phone and perhaps keep his ID card (if Thai) and passport if expat.

If this buyer rides off in the sunset without coming back you call the police and insurance and give both a copy of the Thai license and ID card or passport.

Then you waitwink.png

Great- that will only cost me 20% of the bike's replacement value and a crap-load of hassle with my insurance company...

What will you do when the test-rider crashes your bike and says, 'Sorry about that- lucky you have insurance' and then takes off? Even if you have his card there's not much you could do, and you'd be pretty screwed.

^

Then you're not getting a test-ride on my bike.Posted Image

Then you waitPosted Image

Great- that will only cost me 20% of the bike's replacement value and a crap-load of hassle with my insurance company...

What will you do when the test-rider crashes your bike and says, 'Sorry about that- lucky you have insurance' and then takes off? Even if you have his card there's not much you could do, and you'd be pretty screwed.

You drive the bike with the prospective buyer as a passenger, it's that simple!!

One has to remember you cannot even get a decent test ride at any dealership here.

How much better funded are they than the average seller?

If they are not free with test rides why would a independent be?

Personally I think I am a pretty good judge of character & would go that route first.

But also if a Thai I dont know it would either be Thai govt ID or cash.

I can guarantee them if any problem I will refund but it is up to them.

A decent bike looks & sounds good. They can tell & should pretty well know what they are looking at.

A short test in a trapped area is ok but still if they drop it then what?

Many folks who own Ducatis or like RSD an expensive big bike would never allow a test ride without full

payment on the table.

Smaller less expensive bikes ok maybe & based on judge of character. Yes you may loose the sale but it is no

different at a bike dealership albeit they are new bikes.

Edited by mania

^

Then you waitwink.png

RubberSideDown: Did you ever sell a bike with this method ?...

I certainly wouldn't leave the full amount with an owner, I'd be too worried of them pulling the 'jet ski scam' !!

Ultimately - I guess both the buyer and seller have to have a little trust in each other. A deposit or a passport helps... If I were to deposit the full asking price of the bike with a seller I'd just walk away, I'm sure many would.

But, when selling a bike, the dilemma is a valid one.

A happy medium needs to be established... depending on the value of the bike, perhaps a Valid Passport (or ID card) and arbitrary value in cash) and a ride around large moo ban (with a single entrance) is the option ?

Another option is 2 Bikes: The owner following the prospective buyer on a borrowed bike... or does that open up a new can of worms ?

Buying and selling several bike here and in the usa. I have never been denied a test drive or had a time limit. I also never denied anyone a test drive. This has included test in thailand of the following....cbr150, n250, r1, r6, nc30 (3 tests) , cbr600rr (2 tests) and ducati monster 795 (2 tests) and thats all i can remember.

Edited by yankee99

RubberSideDown: Did you ever sell a bike with this method ?

Yes- more than one- all were fast bikes at least 1000cc where I couldn't be sure the people interested in buying them were capable of handling them- I allowed a test-ride with the cash-in-hand with the full expectation that the riders were not unlikely to crash the bike through getting in over their heads/ability with a bike that demanded some skill and experience to ride properly- I'm referring to strangers who I couldn't properly vet beforehand.

I tend to try to set up situations where I'm less likely to be screwed in the event of a disaster (as much as that's possible;)).

• Like 1

I like RSD's ide of a 100% cash deposit, though I would not feel comfortable leaving that if I were the buyer. But get some cash and the person's ID (either passport otr Thai ID card), then take a picture of the buyer standing next to you bike (with time/date stamp).

Back when I was young and stupid, I had the unpleasant experience of letting somebody ride off to test ride my Harley. His friend drove off in the car to buy a pack of smokes. When I saw my Harley turn the corner at the end of the street, that was the last I saw of it. Pretty predictable, huh? It was insured so no biggy, though I had to wait 30 days for the payoff.

• Like 2

When I sold my HD, seller arrived with the purchase price. We counted it - all there. Buyer gave me 50 K Baht, and his buddy stayed with me holding the rest.

Test drive over, he wanted to buy. I kept the 50 K, we met next day at DLT, transfer green book, I got the balance.

CYA

Who kept the bike overnight between the test ride and the transfer?

I like RSD's ide of a 100% cash deposit, though I would not feel comfortable leaving that if I were the buyer. But get some cash and the person's ID (either passport otr Thai ID card), then take a picture of the buyer standing next to you bike (with time/date stamp).

Back when I was young and stupid, I had the unpleasant experience of letting somebody ride off to test ride my Harley. His friend drove off in the car to buy a pack of smokes. When I saw my Harley turn the corner at the end of the street, that was the last I saw of it. Pretty predictable, huh? It was insured so no biggy, though I had to wait 30 days for the payoff.

Friend of mine at home sold his bike. Buyer shows up and wants a test ride. No problem as he came by car and left the car behind of course.

After an hour or so the bike still wasn't back and my friend got worried.

Called the police who came and made a report...............and at the same time took the stolen car with them.

a serious buyer will have the cash on them or available to them ,so for me its money in hand for test ride and if you drop or crash the bike it becomes yours,dont see the point of taking passport or id card thats just gonna lead to getting bib involved and big headaches .

When I sold my HD, seller arrived with the purchase price. We counted it - all there. Buyer gave me 50 K Baht, and his buddy stayed with me holding the rest.

Test drive over, he wanted to buy. I kept the 50 K, we met next day at DLT, transfer green book, I got the balance.

CYA

Who kept the bike overnight between the test ride and the transfer?

I did - until transfer was complete at DLT

Edited by seedy

,dont see the point of taking passport or id card thats just gonna lead to getting bib involved and big headaches .

Surely if the bike goes missing you would involve the police anyway? I don't see the difference.

Taninthai means having to rely on the police to do their job, catch the thief, recover the bike and then allow you to hopefully sell it.

If you have the money and the police receive the theft report and then go back to more profitable activities, then you would still have the cash. I think his post was fairly clear.

When I sold my Wave CZi, I let two guys ride it. First driver was a French guy and I kept his Thai Driver's license while he rode her. Second guy was Thai and asked to take her up the soi, with in eyesight, which was OK because he left his pickup (yeah, I've heard of fake buyers showing up in a stolen car, then absconding with the bike.

The Tha guy went less than 100 meters, turned around and said "I buy!" He came back the next day with the cash and transfer papers :)