need plans for a long tailed boat

giggles

i wan to build a small size boat like you see on the river in bangers any idea where to get some plans and sketches ?

what kinda motor would you need , a bike engine ?

the boat itself looks easy to make from marine ply ,but its the engine and controls and drive shaft that has me worried .

First I would take a photo to your local marine authorities. You might find that many design aspects of the typical longtail such as the exposed driveshaft are illegal in your area; assuming you are planning to use it out of South East Asia.

First I would take a photo to your local marine authorities. You might find that many design aspects of the typical longtail such as the exposed driveshaft are illegal in your area; assuming you are planning to use it out of South East Asia.

rules are made to be broken as we all know, I have thought about throwing 1 together and using an old 3clinder Suzuki 2stroke engine, be a great toy on some of the big water storage tanks here in OZ .

What makes you think the were built to plan...

and I would think the engines just guess work, the prop will be limited to a RPM when exceeded will just not function, prop shaft will need to be a tube, a solid shaft will be too heavy, if the tube is too thin or out of balance it could just fold up at high revs.

As for plans ... can't help you ... why not simply buy one ready made?

What City are you?

As for propulsion, the boats use a variety of units depending on what they are needed for.

Some are old car engines,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post-104736-0-58975300-1376182306_thumb.

some are a universal Honda 4 stroke

As for getting power from the engine into the water ... if you using it in the Canals and rivers ... strongly recommend just what the Thais use ... the long shaft.

post-104736-0-46432100-1376181769_thumb.

that metal guard is invaluable in protecting the prop and great as a maneuvering tool in tight situations.

If you wish to build a Hot Rod wooden Rocket like the Showmen on the Chao Phraya

091026_bangkok_chao_praya_river_longtail

... enjoy, but can't advise you there.

On a semi-related note, I find it interesting that the tour boats on the Chao Phray and in Kanchanburi, along with almost all of the smaller offshore fishing boats run longtails.

Yet in Pattaya, they all run outboards on the tourist boats.

My suspicion is that some enterprising soul ran a Cigarette style in Pattaya, showed some success (because they were the only one) and then everyone copied them. Or perhaps the first go-fast in Pattaya was a twin engine, unsuitable for long tail, and even when they downsized the boats to take a single engine, the outboard habit stuck. Or is it simply because they need a reverse gear to get away from the beach in Pattaya?

Does anybody have historical insights into why they run outboards?

Edited by impulse

If you run a prop too fast it cavitates and loses power. A bigger prop can help with that by putting more load on the engine. However, I've never seen a "good" prop boat without a gear reduction. It's built into outboards and marine engines made for long shafts. I think a high rpm engine with no gear reduction would be a serious problem.

• Like 1

On a semi-related note, I find it interesting that the tour boats on the Chao Phray and in Kanchanburi, along with almost all of the smaller offshore fishing boats run longtails.

Yet in Pattaya, they all run outboards on the tourist boats.

My suspicion is that some enterprising soul ran a Cigarette style in Pattaya, showed some success (because they were the only one) and then everyone copied them. Or perhaps the first go-fast in Pattaya was a twin engine, unsuitable for long tail, and even when they downsized the boats to take a single engine, the outboard habit stuck. Or is it simply because they need a reverse gear to get away from the beach in Pattaya?

Does anybody have historical insights into why they run outboards?

The waters of Pattaya Bay can get pretty rough. I found that out the hard way just taking a routine tour boat from Bali Hai Pier to Koh Larn a few years ago. We were hit by a squall about half way. I was really surprised how quickly the waves became really large and close together. The driver (Captain is giving him too much credit) had difficulty maintaining headway and we almost swamped several times. We took on a lot of water and the only thing that saved us was the storm suddenly lifted, just as the engine died. We were towed back to Bali Hai.

I would guess that the style of Longtail seen on the Chao Phraya has neither the freeboard or the beam to handle such open water conditions. They do run some larger, flat bottomed longtails from Pattaya beach near Bali Hai ferrying workers out to the restaurant ships anchored in the harbor.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

6m longtail plans here http://www.wooden-boat-building.nka88.com/fr/5-free-plan-wooden-fishing-boat-promenade-dayboat/news/news-46-free-boat-plans.html

DELFTship software to open said plans http://www.delftship.net/delftship/index.php/downloads/delftship-free you'll need to register to get the download, but it's free

EDIT Software looks bleeding complicated but the basic bits of ply needed are on the woodenboats page as .jpg

• Like 1

take some pictures from the boats and look closely also take some sizes the boats are an easy built.

for the engine.. most of the bigger ones are car engines. my boat has a 2.5 l turbodiesel isuzu on it and it goes!! how good is your thai? around china town in bkk the backstreets are many local shops who do the revising and conversions take some bags with food and a bottle of hongtong and these guys are happy to explain things

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Bang Kruai sports many 2nd hand engine shops, or scrap yards if you like

Its a bit tricky to see exactly the style of your boat it looks like a soong dtoon,

many taxi boats that size in Nonthaburi, most (in Nonthaburi) sports a Toyota 4 cylinder gasoline engine,

about the same engine as you find in older taxi meters

some (few in Nonthaburi, many in Minburi) sports a more highpowered Toyota with twin overhead camshafts

nearly all boats in Nonthaburi are now converted to LPG

further up somebody talked about driveshafts,

the driveshafts are solid steel, the bearings are made of hardwood from Malaysia,

so far I have not seen a longtail with gear reduction, they are all 1:1

the larger soong dtoons have 1 and 1/8 inch or 1 inch shafts

the smaller ones have 7/8 inch shafts

(I have 1 inch shaft, 175 inches long, the engine sports 250 hp at 5000 and a bit rpm)

cavitation is a problem, but a prop is costing about 600 baht

i just had a boat built, 6.5 m long, cost 50k....now i am hunting for the right engine.... not sure on HP and where to get....anyone got any leads...? may be a second hand one?

i live in bang kruai, nonthaburi....attachicon.giflong tail.JPG

Ahh, now I bothered to enlarge the pic, and yes its a soong dtoon.

I think I know that boat. Its built by Chang Popp in Klong Om.

Its now painted green on the sides and operates as a taxi boat

from the Ta Naam Non jetty.

Its fitted with a Toyota taxi meter engine running on LPG.

do you need a licence to drive or own a boat ? does it need insurance or any tax ?

i would check all this before i built it ,i think its unlikely the work permit police would be called

for someone making a project boat

ive restored countless motorbikes over the years on my own property and nobodys ever said i need

a work permit for fixing them

as far as WP is concerned I think its OK as long as you work on your own boat, car, bike etc

yes, you actually need 2 licences for longtail boats ment for rivers/canals,

a driver's licence and you also need an engineer's licence for servicing the engine

(the Marine Dept have special regulations for these kind of boats)

Been thinking of buying a boat myself as we have land on the river and all our neighbours have boats to get around. Think it would be easier and cheaper to buy a second hand wooden boat and strip it back and do what repairs / reconditioning needed .

• 4 months later...

there is a master boat builder in ayuthaya. i was at his house. he is one of the last of the 'real' master boat builders and does stuff for museums, and did stuff for the King in the past. his entire house is just one huge amount of boats including several docked in his back yard (on the water... he is elderly, but very very nice and is truely interested in anyone who is also interested in long tail or any other thai boats.

he is listed as a museum but it is actually his house, and he took no money from us (hubby and i( when we went to see the boats). hubby spent hours measureing and feeling wood etc...

he also has all the designs he draws them up, etc...

i think he has a website. his son comes and helps some of the time, i thought it was a really cool place , plus he has a boat called a ghost boat, used in up country , for catching fish, the easy issaan way...

check him out...

http://thaiboatmuseum.com/

Thai Boat Museum is located at 12 Moo 1, Soi Bang Ian 8 (Khaw mala), Ian Road, Pratoo Chai district, Amphure Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya. Ayutthaya. The Thai Boat Museum was founded by professor Paitoon Khawmala in 1994 with a spiritual bond with river and boats since childhood. It also has a teacher who taught drawing and design of ships. Throughout life, who worked at the Technical School Shipbuilding (now College of Technology and shipbuilding industries) from 1958 until retirement in the year 1996 sees the progress in technology. Transportation and transit countries will makes of the boat used in the future would be less and wood as the main material of the boat will disappear and wood as the main material of the boat will go away after the youth generation does not know Thai vessels. And local vessels. So he founded the Thai Boat Museum took place at home during the first For conservation and a source of learning. Re: Thai ship. Students to people who are interested. Both Thais and foreigners. The teachers have sacrificed a pension. And proceeds from the sale of the land. Second farm in Pathum Thani Province. The construction of more housing to the Thai Boat Museum You'll also have written a book "Thai Boat" was a series of 4 books to study to learn about different kinds of Thai boat. The objective is to provide Thai Naval Museum is a "source of learning about Thai Boat" "The Center for Thai Boat Knowledge" truly.

Web builder by ninewebsite.com
footer_en.jpg

Wasn't it last year or year before that two guys were given an exit from LOS for building their own boats....they were judged to be taking jobs away from Thai's...

Might want to check out the negative possiblities - the wrong words mentioned to the wrong person could cause you a world of hurt.....