UK Govt to clamp down on pensioners claiming abroad

i claudius

Just read that the govt are going to extradite people including pensioners that may be using a British bank account who are claiming pension credit while living abroad ,and getting the money by using their debit cards to access it . I can just see it now Percy the pensioner being brought back in handcuffs for trial because he was claiming the pension increases sad.png

It is aimed at people living abroad who are claiming benefits or pensions that they are not entitled to by UK law ...So why wouldn't they be prosecuted ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389131/Expat-benefit-cheats-enjoying-fun-sun-funded-British-taxpayer-face-extradition-UK.html

Edited by churchill

More Daily Mail guff. British police have no jurisdiction outside of Britain/The UK/whatever the Daily Mail really meant. In order to extradite a British citizen from Europe a European Arrest Warrant needs to be issued and acted upon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Arrest_Warrant Good luck with that for somebody fiddling 20 quid a week!

Extradition from a country outside of the EU is even more complicated.

This is just another attempt by the government to put the frighteners on those thinking of voting UKIP in 2015.

So, is the OP genuinely mistaken or stirring the sh**?

Annual pension increases have nothing to do with pension credit.

I fully agree with extraditing fiddlers (at thier expense though).

The OP doesn't mention annual pension increases - said subject covered to death in the pinned topic whistling.gif

The subject the OP was referring to was originally flagged up in April with a DWP press release https://www.gov.uk/government/news/abroad-fraud-warning-for-benefit-thieves and covered in various papers including the Express - http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/314764/43m-in-benefits-goes-to-cheats-who-live-abroad

So, is the OP genuinely mistaken or stirring the sh**?

Annual pension increases have nothing to do with pension credit.

I fully agree with extraditing fiddlers (at thier expense though).

The OP does not mention pension increases, he says pension credits,as in the article.

If anyone is fiddling the system, I say good luck to them, people like myself who have not cheated

Are instead cheated by the state.

• Like 2

Yup ,never mentioned pension increases as topt said , but i really cannot see the police getting an arrest warrent and flying out to Thailand to extradite someone fiddeling 20 quid or so ,they have enough immegrants fiddeling millions in Britain to be going on with.

• Like 2

re

Just read that the govt are going to extradite people including pensioners that may be using a British bank account who are claiming pension credit while living abroad

#uck me gently !

pattaya would be empty sad.png

dave2

post-42592-0-73256300-1376265768_thumb.j

Yup ,never mentioned pension increases as topt said , but i really cannot see the police getting an arrest warrent and flying out to Thailand to extradite someone fiddeling 20 quid or so ,they have enough immegrants fiddeling millions in Britain to be going on with.

In that case you should write with some clarity.

I took "pension increases" to mean the annual inflation linked increase.

Percy

In that case you should write with some clarity.

I took "pension increases" to mean the annual inflation linked increase.

Percy

Sorry Percy ,thumbsup.gif

More Daily Mail guff. British police have no jurisdiction outside of Britain/The UK/whatever the Daily Mail really meant. In order to extradite a British citizen from Europe a European Arrest Warrant needs to be issued and acted upon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Arrest_Warrant Good luck with that for somebody fiddling 20 quid a week!

This is just another attempt by the government to put the frighteners on those thinking of voting UKIP in 2015.

They can stop payment from fraud though.About time too,so many brits claiming money they dont legaly should claim,no need send em jail,just reduce the pension,to pay the mponey back,claimed illegaly.

U know who u are,the ones that dont agree with stopping fraud, i bet you hate immigrants claiming though

• Like 1

More benefits that people are entitled to are left unclaimed every year than are actually fiddled.

<deleted> Has that got to do with illegal practises,if someone is stupid enough,not to claim something they are entitled too,its their fault.

More benefits that people are entitled to are left unclaimed every year than are actually fiddled.

Whichever authority issued that statement simply doesn't have the required data on which to base it.

It is probably a good guess though.

ted

The UK and Thailand have an extradition treaty already in place since 2008. if Pension credit was paid, then it would normally have been done under the crime: Fraud by False Reprensentation, which basically means that benefits have been claimed when they shoud have been. This is a crime in both countries and under the terms of the extadition, regardless of the amount involved, the offender may be arrested, detained and extradicted.

This show trial woud serve as a detterant to other would be offenders surely.

Pension Credits are for Persons over Sixty years of age,and living in the UK,and most certainly under no circumstances can Pension credits be claimed while living abroad.

However for UK Residents, upon notification that you intend to take the maximum of 12 weeks holiday abroad,Pension credits will continue,to be paid in the UK for the full year.

For Clarity,resident in the UK, -12 weeks annual holiday + 40 Weeks resident in the UK = 52 Weeks.

This Post refers to claiming Pension Credits while living in Thailand,and doesn't claim to be referring to EEC Countries benefit rules.

Edited by MAJIC

No! of course the British Government would not waste huge amounts of money on deportation,when they only need a request that you produce your UK Passport,and meanwhile Benefits are suspended. Yes there are many fiddling the Benefits System,and when they are caught,should all be legally forced to return the stolen money,and some, possibly deported!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

Whichever authority issued that statement simply doesn't have the required data on which to base it.

It is probably a good guess though.

It's probably a politically-motivated 'guess'...

The story in the Sunday Mail, which I reported on in the UK Pensions thread was a typical DM non story which was not a very convincing article that anything was about to happen straight away or at all. It seemed to be aimed at UK Pensioners in Spain rather than anywhere else. As for Thailand I cant see much co-operation happeneing as Thailand would not have much to gain with going along with this extradition ploy and indeed it would be less money from foreigners swilling about in the local economy, the story will be dead by the weekend.

Edited by nong38