Hotel booking website?

snake24

Seems like booking.com is promoted in this forum seeing how it's in the adverts and is a sticky in this section.

I use agoda only because they allow payment by paypal but they aren't so cheap as say hotels.com or maybe even booking.com

I either go to agoda or use tripadvisor.com and then it will list all the sites with bookings to a particular hotel and the price etc.

The main difference between Booking.com and Agoda, is Agoda is prepay and Booking.com is post pay where you pay at the hotel on checkout.

A lot of these OTA's offer both pre and post pay - the above two OTA's included... It used to be one or the other, not quite so anymore...

I use a hotels booking site and use OTA's for price comparison and best rate guarantee claims...

I use Agoda primarily because they give and additional 4-7% back to you once you submit a review of the hotel I stayed at.

Nothing is for free, you will find Agoda fees get back what they give, I would rather have a cheaper hotel rate than pay for some points system

I use Agoda primarily because they give and additional 4-7% back to you once you submit a review of the hotel I stayed at.

I use them for this reason as well. You get the 4-7% without submitting a review. You get and extra 500 points ($1) for booking a review. Gets you some free stays.

agoda gives you points which u can use for discounts but i have submitted reviews for every hotel i stay in but never got back the 4-7% back unless you are talking about the points. It's 500 additional points for a review.

agoda gives you points which u can use for discounts but i have submitted reviews for every hotel i stay in but never got back the 4-7% back unless you are talking about the points. It's 500 additional points for a review.

Booking.com has a Genius program.

After booking with them for a couple of things using the same email, I get another a 10% discount on top of the smart deals discounts.

I think this is more than what Agoda is currently offering and you get it upfront, plus you pay only after you stay. Just don't book hotels that are "non-refundable". Those are more like pre-pay offers.

Edited by nearbyguru

----------------

Exactly.

You can use your points you are given for your reviews as credit on future booking discounts for higher priced hotel rooms.

In addition, if you become a member they sometimes have "insiders discounts" on various hotel bookings.

But the main reason I use Agoda versus others is that they accept my U.S. Visa ATM/debit card issued by a small regional bank in Massachusetts. no problem with online bookings and card clears in less than 24 hours where other companies can't give the same 24 hour service.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Nothing is for free, you will find Agoda fees get back what they give, I would rather have a cheaper hotel rate than pay for some points system

There have been numerous occasions where the Agoda rate is better than the hotel's rate.

Oh...... you get points as well.

----------------

Exactly.

You can use your points you are given for your reviews as credit on future booking discounts for higher priced hotel rooms.

In addition, if you become a member they sometimes have "insiders discounts" on various hotel bookings.

But the main reason I use Agoda versus others is that they accept my U.S. Visa ATM/debit card issued by a small regional bank in Massachusetts. no problem with online bookings and card clears in less than 24 hours where other companies can't give the same 24 hour service.

Agoda is the only company that allows paypal. The rest don't.

The main difference between Booking.com and Agoda, is Agoda is prepay and Booking.com is post pay where you pay at the hotel on checkout.

i always try and avoid booking with companies like Agoda, as I do not like to be quoted a price, then find there is tax added. If companies, not just hotel bookers resort to using small print, they are trying to trick you in to thinking you will be paying less than what you really are. Try and avoid them.

Sometimes the choice of booking site is just personal preference. I like the website layout and search methods on Agoda.

I have used Agoda to book hotels nine times here in Thailand. Most of them have been for hotels that Agoda had discounts at the time. Never had any problems with their service. I print out the voucher they send via email and present it at check-in. Never had any problems at check-in.

I tend to look at the reviews for specific hotels on Agoda and check reviews on Tripadvisor for the same hotel. Once I find a hotel of interest, I do check that hotel's website. Many hotel websites have "special offers" pages with deals for early booking or booking for a certain number of nights. I have managed to get some decent deals that way also.

All the booking sites are the same and prices also the same. There is an anti trust lawsuit happening in the moment and all of the mentioned ones are being sued for price fixing.

I am a hotel owner and sell hotels through a number of sites, we are forced to put the same price across all sites, otherwise they take hotels off.

Agoda is so bad that if the price is different by 1/2 satang, they start to call 10 times per day to make it same as elsewhere.

The monitor all sites, including hotels own site. You will find hotels own sites have same prices as well. The only difference you will find is on some sites hotel offer FREE breakfast.

As i said, being a hotel owner, i now prefer to book direct with hotels, because usually i get better room and better service :)

Mostly look at Agoda find which looks best then use Google to find that Hotel, there own website or direct Hotel phone number...

Direct with hotel is often better they have different offers or rooms.... eg: 1 Hotel I book at, have a Annex, same size rooms, have the same fitting as main hotel rooms, but 200 baht per night cheaper than the 'save 60%' on Agoda, of course on Agoda you are in the main building..

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

and they are both owned by Priceline

Booking.com has a better cancel policy as well

Agoda also don't include VAT in their advertised rates so LOOK cheaper and you can get a rude awakening when you come to book.

I like getting 'points' back for the review, as someone mentioned but not sure there's much difference between them

Unfortunately, 500 points for each review appears to have recently stopped. It's a shame as I usually submitted reviews for this very reason.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Rates are the same across all sites. As it's part of the agreement hotels sign.

If one site has cheaper rate, double check if inclusions are the same, usually are not.

All the big players like Priceline , orbitz, Expedia all been sued for price fixing in US.

You may get cheaper rates on some sites if booking on the same as arrival or a member or through mobile phone, because account managers do not screen it, otherwise rates are the same

I always used www.sawadee.com for my bookings, when I used to travel here, ... I never had a problem.... thumbsup.gif

A friend just arrived and booked a BKK hotel through Booking.com .... I checked with sawadee, after he had done that and sawadee price was cheaper, same type of room, same hotel... near the airport.

So it is worth checking the different sites...

Hotels set their own cancellation policies on Agoda and Booking.com.

They are both owned by Priceline but are run as totally separate operations and work very differently from each other.

Hotels set their own cancellation policies on Agoda and Booking.com.

They are both owned by Priceline but are run as totally separate operations and work very differently from each other.

While Hotels set their own policy, the main differences between the two are Booking.com is Post Pay and Agoda is prepay, making it easier to cancel or change hotel with booking.com. Booking.com is also an all in price when you search, Agoda add booking fees and vat when you go to pay.

Booking.com also have over 600,000 hotels listed, making them the largest booking engine, with Expedia coming second.