100Gb free cloud storage

aarn

I never got what is the advantage of cloud storage to local storage?

Local is way faster.

Cloud is about reliability, out sourcing and flexible access.

Though the example quoted here doeant seem great. Dropbox, google drive, amazon aws are all top class and very useful.

If your computer dies... your cloud storage lives on.

If your house is robbed and computer stolen, plus your backup drives....cloud lives on.

House and backuos burn down...cloud is fine.

Holiday other side of world and computer offline so cant remote access....cloud storage is great.

Not saying forget local storage and local backups....but combine with cloud for great results.

• Like 2

If your internet connection dies you lose access to the cloud...

I would only use cloud as decribed above, for reasons of additional back up and access when traveling. YMMV. Internet connections go down, but they come back again. Shared 100GB free storage sucks if the files are deleted after 1 month. Go with Dropbox, Sugarsync, Google Drive or Skydrive. The big names without the BS of advertising 100GB free.

Who guarantees that the cloud provider doesn't have access to your data?

You can, by using Truecrypt.

It is probably best to assume that anything can be hacked. There are some claims, albeit from the light-weight aluminum headgear wearers, that the NSA actually created TrueCrypt, or at least has a "back door".

^^Use 7zip or rar, which allow you to compress and encrypt files.

There is a program called cryptsync that automates this process.

I trust truecrypt, but the only other alternative besides commercial/proprietary software is to build/compile your own encryption.

And cloud storage works best as file backup for avg user. As a file sharer for biz use. Use encryption that you control and is independent from the cloud storage.....never rely on the cloud storage host for encryption.

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

Before you start uploading your hard disk, make a rough calculation how long you need with Thailand's crappy internet.

And then don't forget to access all of your 100GB once a month that it won't be deleted.

Alternatively, buy a cheap 1TB disk with your data and store it at a save place.

It is probably best to assume that anything can be hacked. There are some claims, albeit from the light-weight aluminum headgear wearers, that the NSA actually created TrueCrypt, or at least has a "back door".

Ah well, if we are going to assume that then we should also assume that operating systems such as Windows and Apple OS also have backdoors and that our ISPs and the NSA monitor absolutely everything we all do anyway. And if we do that then basically we just go back to keeping all our data on paper and all our money in cash under the mattress.

I would be amongst the first to denounce the NSA and affiliated organisations as being invasive bastards who trample without a thought over everyone's human rights, but I still use internet banking. Hard to avoid it, really.

• Like 1

Some services offer encryption based on the password you select, meaning they wont be able to get into your account or access your data if they wanted to.

If you want to get a large (non-emailable) file to many people, cloud is virtually indispensable. Right? Maybe some people don't need to do that. Plus, some of the better services offer public links AND secure links if you sent something sensitive.

Plus, let's say for example you put all your photos on a cloud service. Anywhere you go in the world with an internet connection, you can now access those photos. I guess this does not excite some people - which is perfectly fine, but have you ever said "I wish I had that __________ file right now"?

Cloud can also be used as a free backup.

Some people just yawn when you talk about the cloud, others seem to get it. This is where the future lies for sure.

Edited by isawasnake

Regardless of what the NSA may (or may not) be able to do, if you use Truecrypt on your data before uploading it to the cloud storage then this should at least prevent anyone other than the NSA (and affiliated organisations) from seeing it. ie You will keep it private from the people who work at the cloud storage company, and the people who work for your ISP.

I do the same for all my personal data at home; it's all encrypted in case someone breaks into my condo and steals the hard drives (not very likely, I admit).

My laptop is bitlocked for the same reason, and my Android device is also fully encrypted.

Who gives a crap about the NSA snooping your data. What is much more damaging is some <deleted> Russian, Chinese, etc. hacker breaking into these fly by night cloud storage (or even major ones) and grabbing your stuff. Or the company itself mining your data and selling off info to marketers. THAT is what you need to be worrying about and protecting against.

Identity theft, info they can use to scam other companies out of your info or you out of your own info. Even with just vacation photos.....they can call a credit card company or hotel reward program and get where you last stayed. Call that hotel and feign losing info and get your billing credit card details, etc. etc. Stop worrying about the NSA and start worry about the REAL threats and encrypt your stuff.

Before you start uploading your hard disk, make a rough calculation how long you need with Thailand's crappy internet.

And then don't forget to access all of your 100GB once a month that it won't be deleted.

Alternatively, buy a cheap 1TB disk with your data and store it at a save place.

Its about portability and automation. Files that you dont use often or will archive can be synced to a local backup. You are responsible for ensuring local backups are synced and stored in a safe place.

Cloud allows automatic syncing + ability to access anywhere. You dont need to sync everything. Just important files; like my documents folder and any projects you'd be pissed if the file were to suddenly disappear. And programs like cryptsync make it easy/hands-free.

Or if you do it manually, 50-200MB truecrypt container should be able to handle it.

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

You cant compare local storage to cloud..they both serve very different purposes.

While local storage simply stores your data,cloud gives you the flexibility to access it anywhere,assuming you have internet connection.

Local is way faster.

Though the example quoted here doeant seem great. Dropbox, google drive, amazon aws are all top class and very useful.

If your house is robbed and computer stolen, plus your backup drives....cloud lives on.

Holiday other side of world and computer offline so cant remote access....cloud storage is great.

Not saying forget local storage and local backups....but combine with cloud for great results.

Orrr, you can shell out around 3k for an external hard drive. I wouldn't trust a 'cloud'. Particularly when two of my accounts announced 'you have 4/5 documents ready to download'!blink.png So who's accessing them and where? (Rhetorical).

I regularly use four computers all at different locations and access the same files. I used to use thumbdrives and always had a back up at home. I also used Dropbox for sharing family photos.

One day I lost my thumb drive and the back up was 4 or 5 days old so I lost quite a few updates that I needed there and then. When I arrived home a placed all the data from my thumbdrive onto Dropbox. That was the best thing I ever did. Dropbox is installed on all four computers o the files are stored locally as well. Whenever I update on one computer it is instaneously updated on the others.

The material is not sensitive so I am not worried about anyone looking at it but there is the danger that someone will modify some documents. I still take a manual backup every week.

The 4 GB (or whatever it is) is ample for the files as they are all in Word format.

I use another Dropbox account for the family photos.

Edited by petedk

Mmmm, looks like the hornets' nest has been stirred.

I think it is wise to assume that even encrypted files in the cloud will be accessed by...

Most of these free services, you just have to log on once a month, not access all files monthly.

I am reminded of John Steinbeck's 'Tortilla Flat'.

Two brothers run into some cash, and decide to seriously stock up on cheap wine.

They drink/get drunk, their house burns down.

Their only regret is that they didn't drink all the wine.

I can't send my sato to the cloud, but I can put my digital resources up there.

If/when the house burns down, all will not be lost.

Cheers, AA

Local is way faster.

Orrr, you can shell out around 3k for an external hard drive. I wouldn't trust a 'cloud'. Particularly when two of my accounts announced 'you have 4/5 documents ready to download'!blink.png So who's accessing them and where? (Rhetorical).

He is saying combine the cloud with external. He has a point. What if your hard drive is stolen, or damaged. What if you need to send a 2gb file to your family overseas?

On a half serious, and half joking (not) note, I have one cloud account where I store only stuff that just can't be found by family in the house. Just can't. I don't really care if I lost it to be honest, and to be even more honest, don't even care if somebody accesses it. There aren't any pics of me or anything. Point is, it can also be a very safe place to store some sensitive files you feel you'd rather not delete.

On a half serious, and half joking (not) note, I have one cloud account where I store only stuff that just can't be found by family in the house. Just can't. I don't really care if I lost it to be honest, and to be even more honest, don't even care if somebody accesses it. There aren't any pics of me or anything. Point is, it can also be a very safe place to store some sensitive files you feel you'd rather not delete.

Naked pictures of previous lovers?

Same cloud use as me then.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Naked pictures of previous lovers?

Same cloud use as me then.

Let's face it. There is certain stuff we'd just like to keep, yet we don't want it in the house. Hence - the cloud :)

Am i alone in not trusting cloud storage?

Who controls it, who reads it. Will they charge you to access/transfer it. Will they restrict access or delete data?

I control all my data myself. Storage is cheap now.

Shared site says benefit of paid version is "forever storage"....does that mean the free version deletes files after some period??

Not cloud storage but I had some stuff stored online before that I wanted kept away from certain prying eyes.

One day without warning the whole content disappeared when the site went offline.

Would I trust online storage again? No.

But each to their own.