How to behave in a baht bus

FarangFB

Sure thing.

It's better though to just pay the 10 baht in coinage.

So if you get baht bus from beach road Chaiyapruek 1 Jomtien to Central Festival Mall 2nd Road its only 10 Baht?

I'll tell you but you won't like the answer.

Sometimes 10 baht.

Sometimes 20 baht.

It is not really defined.

This is another case of SITUATIONAL ethics which pervades the entire baht bus riding experience.

The official fare is 10 baht and 20 baht so for called LONG HAUL rides.

Long haul is not DEFINED anywhere.

So it's up to YOU to decide. It's also up to the drivers to react or not react if they don't like what you've paid.

My acid test, if you take that route 10 times and only one or two drivers object to the 10 baht fare, then 10 baht is the real fare.

If the majority react, then the fare is 20 baht.

Other factors are whether the bus had passengers or not.

If you were the only passenger on that route, all that way, I personally would pay 20 baht. That would be very rare. But on a normal situation, I would pay 10 baht and I reckon the majority of times the drivers wouldn't balk.

Some people are serious milquetoasts and don't want to ever chance that the driver may bulk, or they have an overactive guilt complex. Those people will often overpay when there is no reason to at all. Some people might think I have an overactive guilt complex to pay 20 baht on that route when the bus is empty, again, situational ethics, not black and white, not totally clear cut.

OK, you asked ...

Edited by Jingthing

I've never paid more than 10 baht.

Maybe true for you, but not everybody makes only short rides by bahtbus.

No bahtbus driver will accept 10 baht only for a trip from Jomtien to Naklua market !

From Jomtien, the fair 10 baht limit (IMHO) is near Central Beach Festival or Central Road.

To BigC I would pay 20, except if many Thai stop there too and all pay 10 wink.png

Edited by Pattaya46

Sure thing.

So if you get baht bus from beach road Chaiyapruek 1 Jomtien to Central Festival Mall 2nd Road its only 10 Baht?

YES! Get off, pay, smile, walk away towards the back of the bus, ignoring any protests from behind. IF the driver chases you, (which he won't if you haven't provoked him or if it's inconvenient) pay the other 10 baht without protest - it's not worth getting beaten up for!

However, it's a game of bluff because the drivers know it should be 10 baht per journey, but if you hesitate, they will take advantage of your lack of knowledge - I repeat though, never get into a fight with them - you will come off worse.

Oh, BTW, if it goes as far as the Naklua roundabout, it becomes 20 baht. Great innit?

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

Sure thing.

Sometimes 10 baht.

Sometimes 20 baht.

This is another case of SITUATIONAL ethics which pervades the entire baht bus riding experience.

So it's up to YOU to decide. It's also up to the drivers to react or not react if they don't like what you've paid.

My acid test, if you take that route 10 times and only one or two drivers object to the 10 baht fare, then 10 baht is the real fare.

If you were the only passenger on that route, all that way, I personally would pay 20 baht. That would be very rare. But on a normal situation, I would pay 10 baht and I reckon the majority of times the drivers wouldn't balk.

Some people are serious milquetoasts and don't want to ever chance that the driver may bulk, or they have an overactive guilt complex. Those people will often overpay when there is no reason to at all. Some people might think I have an overactive guilt complex to pay 20 baht on that route when the bus is empty, again, situational ethics, not black and white, not totally clear cut.

OK, you asked ...

I don't use it much I use my bike but I agree,ive seen many drivers ask for more money and ive also seen people smoking on the bus many times

Sure thing.

Sometimes 10 baht.

Sometimes 20 baht.

OK, you asked ...

I don't use it much I use my bike but I agree,ive seen many drivers ask for more money and ive also seen people smoking on the bus many times

Oh Dear Sweetie,Smoking on an open air bus. Ive seen Guys with Limbs blown off in Angola that wanted a Ciggarette.No Consideratoin for My Uni Brain , P.C.Feelings you know.

Good points except nr. 5.

I'm 57 years old and I can still walk properly but I'm not going to give up my seat and hang on the back of a baht bus.

There are enough baht busses driving around town.

If mine is full, take another one!!!

I am 67 and have been riding Baht Buses off and on for 45 years, so I often stand at the back. I also tend to start getting off before the vehicle is fully stopped - sometimes the vehicle moves a few inches, but I have never fallen, even when I was much younger and occasionally drunk.

Know why they are (were) called 'Baht Buses'..?? Because and trip of 10 KM or less cost only a Baht...

No bahtbus driver will accept 10 baht only for a trip from Jomtien to Naklua market !

From Jomtien, the fair 10 baht limit (IMHO) is near Central Beach Festival or Central Road.

To BigC I would pay 20, except if many Thai stop there too and all pay 10 wink.png

You guessed it right, I get off around soi 8, so only 10 baht.

OK Jingthing, how about Na Jomtien to Naklua Fish Markets? How much?

You guessed it right, I get off around soi 8, so only 10 baht.

OK Jingthing, how about Na Jomtien to Naklua Fish Markets? How much?

Is that a trick question?

I should have been clearer, the continuation of Jomtien beach road to the end where the road makes a sharp left and where the seafood restaurants are. That area (so my partner tells me) is also known as Na Jomtien. So from there to Naklua Markets.

I should have been clearer, the continuation of Jomtien beach road to the end where the road makes a sharp left and where the seafood restaurants are. That area (so my partner tells me) is also known as Na Jomtien. So from there to Naklua Markets.

No it isn't.

20 baht.

Good luck finding a truck that makes that run all the way though! Not likely.

If you're talking about a charter ... A LOT.

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

Good points except nr. 5.

I'm 57 years old and I can still walk properly but I'm not going to give up my seat and hang on the back of a baht bus.

There are enough baht busses driving around town.

If mine is full, take another one!!!

I am 67 and have been riding Baht Buses off and on for 45 years, so I often stand at the back. I also tend to start getting off before the vehicle is fully stopped - sometimes the vehicle moves a few inches, but I have never fallen, even when I was much younger and occasionally drunk.

Know why they are (were) called 'Baht Buses'..?? Because and trip of 10 KM or less cost only a Baht...

I've been coming to Pattaya since 1978 and the traffic was not nearly as bad then as it is now.

But I'm very sure that I have never stood at the back of a baht bus and I always wait till the bus comes to a complete stop before getting up.

If the bus is full and there is no more room to sit down, I wait for the next one.

That takes about 10 seconds!!!

I expect people to do the same and not expect me to give up my seat for them.