Can you translate this please? (few words)

manxcay

You are writing as you are a female. Chan instead of Pom.

I think it depends on how you want to express yourself.

http://www.thai-flashcards.com/forum-show-thread.php?id=35

I think the only thing I agree with on that page is the last sentence.

Chan can be used by boys. I never heard Thais use their nicknames instead. If any of that's true I think those people must be referring to kids or low educated or immature people.

Edit: subtitles are usually always chan.

Edited by arthurwait

I think the only thing I agree with on that page is the last sentence.

Chan can be used by boys. I never heard Thais use their nicknames instead. If any of that's true I think those people must be referring to kids or low educated or immature people.

Edit: subtitles are usually always chan.

Understood. It would be good to try to help out the OP. Don't you agree?

Chan can be used both for male and female.

Especially if one is intimate with each other, for example husband and wife/gf-bf, chan is perfectly normal for a male to say.

Phom would be a bit more formal and not so intimate.

Using nickname instead is also perfectly normal for adults and doesn't in any way makes them immature, low educated or referring to kids. People who are very close and who's always used their nicknames with each other will also use their nickname in this case.

The reason movie substitles usually use chan is because it's the closest thai gender neutral word equivalent to English you. Substitles depending on movie type does not always reflect actual colloquially spoken or written Thai.

"Love Andrew" this depends on what you really want to say.

If it's just the usual English expression, like "Yours Sincerely" etc, then in Thai, they don't use neither expressions.

You can for example just end with simply รักคุณนะ which conveniently will omit the pronoun altogether. This is perfectly alright and the meaning will be perfectly understood and clear by context.

However, since in your main message, you are already saying that "I still love and miss you, always do", then saying "I love you" one more time will just be redundant.

Then you really don't need to end with "Love Andrew" because it's already clear who it's from. (Unless you're writing some kind of anonymous message)

"I still love and miss you, always do."

ผมยังรักและคิดถึงคุณเสมออยู่นะ

ฉันรักเธอทุกที is akward and should not be used. ทุกที would mean every time as in every instance (as in many times).

Edited by Mole

Chan can be used both for male and female.

Especially if one is intimate with each other, for example husband and wife/gf-bf, chan is perfectly normal for a male to say.

Phom would be a bit more formal and not so intimate.

Using nickname instead is also perfectly normal for adults and doesn't in any way makes them immature, low educated or referring to kids. People who are very close and who's always used their nicknames with each other will also use their nickname in this case.

The reason movie substitles usually use chan is because it's the closest thai gender neutral word equivalent to English you. Substitles depending on movie type does not always reflect actual colloquially spoken or written Thai.

"Love Andrew" this depends on what you really want to say.

If it's just the usual English expression, like "Yours Sincerely" etc, then in Thai, they don't use neither expressions.

You can for example just end with simply รักคุณนะ which conveniently will omit the pronoun altogether. This is perfectly alright and the meaning will be perfectly understood and clear by context.

However, since in your main message, you are already saying that "I still love and miss you, always do", then saying "I love you" one more time will just be redundant.

Then you really don't need to end with "Love Andrew" because it's already clear who it's from. (Unless you're writing some kind of anonymous message)

"I still love and miss you, always do."

ผมยังรักและคิดถึงคุณเสมออยู่นะ

ฉันรักเธอทุกที is akward and should not be used. ทุกที would mean every time as in every instance (as in many times).

Ok thanks!

ฉันยัง รัก = I still dont love you(very literally)

So your online translator misinterpreted still.. I advice you not to use that.

Are you sure? I thought ฉันยังไม่รัก would mean 'I still don't love (you)'

ยัง means 'not yet' when used as a one word reply i.e.

Question: Is he back yet?

Answer: ยัง not yet.

Question Is he here?

Answer ยังอย่ still here

Or have I been getting it wrong for years?

I don't really think ตลอดเวลา should be used.

It's equivalent to the English "all the time".

ผมรักคุณตลอดเวลา would be something like "I love you all the time" which even in English sounds like a bit obsessive.

ฉันยัง รัก = I still dont love you(very literally)

So your online translator misinterpreted still.. I advice you not to use that.

Are you sure? I thought ฉันยังไม่รัก would mean 'I still don't love (you)'

ยัง means 'not yet' when used as a one word reply i.e.

Question: Is he back yet?

Answer: ยัง not yet.

Question Is he here?

Answer ยังอย่ still here

Or have I been getting it wrong for years?

Thanks for the lesson, mate.thumbsup.gif Appreciated.