Russian assaults pick-up driver and flees the scene: Motorbike accident in Pattaya

webfact

they argued and even insulted police officers

Not smart!

I would even call it stupid giggle.gif

Never p*ss off police or immigration! It will bite you in the bum, sooner or laterwink.png

The real Zorro would handle this differently; he would leave a 'Z' mark on the pick-up...

Edited by JulesMad

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know what happened, but I do know that some Thai drivers are less than thoughtful when it comes to others...

It seems the Ruskies don't back down. Admirable but no too wise in disputes with the locals.

To read the story, it places the blame for the accident firmly at the motorbike's door. I'm not condoning the Russian's actions, but I'm guessing he felt the pick-up driver was at fault, which seems to make more sense.

"...which seems to make more sense."

Certainly it does. The pick-up driver must have been at fault. I wasn't there and know nothing about the incident, but from my lofty perch of omniscience I can easily see the pick-up driver was Thai and therefore at fault.

And the story seems to blame the Russians for insulting the police. Clearly the police were at fault for butting in.

Case closed. Next!

The "I'm guessing" judge presiding.

post-145917-0-02886200-1376462182_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

I like Russia, I'm even learning Russian on my own everyday. I'm sure there was a good reason to argue about. And you all know how Thai's are when it comes to problems on the road (ex. Accident) Just because they are Russian, it doesn't mean they are aggressive or anything, that's just sounds like a bit of racist to me. But, who knows, it doesn't state any further story of both sides.

good for him for fleeing the accident area as to avoid any danger involving gun and knife/ sword but not go home and sleep instead he should directly go to police station. now he become a victim of the driver sad story...

Going to the police probably would not have helped him. I was hit from behind at Songkran, the driver backed off and drove away, when police came i tried to give them the description and number of the vehicle, there and then at the scene and again at Chaweng police station, but they would not take any notice because i am insured. The damage cost Bht 140.000. I still see the Toyota pickup driving around still with damage to his front, he lives near to the Samui Airport, i see him parked at his shophouse as i drive by, he also has a taxi.

"he also has a taxi"

Explains a lot biggrin.png

• Like 2

To read the story, it places the blame for the accident firmly at the motorbike's door. I'm not condoning the Russian's actions, but I'm guessing he felt the pick-up driver was at fault, which seems to make more sense.

Certainly it does. The pick-up driver must have been at fault. I wasn't there and know nothing about the incident, but from my lofty perch of omniscience I can easily see the pick-up driver was Thai and therefore at fault.

And the story seems to blame the Russians for insulting the police. Clearly the police were at fault for butting in.

Case closed. Next!

Every single thread and every single post you ALWAYS without a fail defend a Thai.

Any reason why Thai is always right in your books?

You do not think it is possible the truck cut off the bike? or turned without indicating or decided to stop for no reason because a Thai would never drive in such a way?

• Like 1

Time for Thailand to get smart and change visa rules for Russians as well.

How about Hungarians, Romanians, British, French people as well? They also do the crimes here in Thailand from time to time =) Changing the visa rules is not the solution.

At the tour operator companies which bring these people here for holidays no one even care of telling the customers about what they can and cannot do while they're here. We can blame them for stupidity but shouldn't we blame their tour operator companies as well for not taking any appropriate action to find the solution?

Remember, if you are driving down the main road, and the pick-up pulls out it front you because your status must be low if your riding a motorcycle, you skid on the raid-slick road and crash into the truck -- it's your fault because you are farang. That's why drivers of cars, trucks and even motorcycles will stare you right in the eye and then pull in front of you -- you're farang, Always your fault.

• Like 2

Too many conclusions to jump too with little information. Any accident/altercation can cause a heated dispute.

Foreign country, not speaking the language

Assumption of fault

Pick-up didn't give way

Hazardous weather

Alcohol involved

Protecting wife

Like a previous posted said, there isn't enough information.. Fleeing probably saved someones life

Sometimes it requires an assault to defend or deter any further. Assault or be assaulted, kill or be killed type mentality often read here in Thailands news. Also can be very intimidating being surrounded by uniformed authority and feeling helpless, especially with all the farang issues in the headlines in the last month

...how do you say: "The jackass cut us off and nearly killed us, that is why we collided." ....in Thai...???

...did they ever consider that the pickup driver was at fault???

....what assault....any proof.....???

....or just the guilty Thai pickup driver's 'word' against the innocent Russian...

(...better think twice before Russian-bashing...we are all in the same boat....greatly outnumbered...a visible minority.....)

.....see what passes for 'justice' in Thailand lately.....and ask yourself if you ever heard of a foreigner getting 'a fair shake'....

.....being innocent.....if you are a non-Thai.....guarantees you nothing......

....they stick together...you are taken through the wringer.....

• Like 2

Call me crazy but I do not buy the sweet and innocent pick up driver story.

I am sure Russian abused the cops but have hard time believing he just assaulted the driver for fun

Guess you don't live near Naklua. I have seen drunk Russians assault business signs when they are drunk. I am pretty sure the sign did nothing to insult them.

Case closed. Next!

Every single thread and every single post you ALWAYS without a fail defend a Thai.

Any reason why Thai is always right in your books?

You do not think it is possible the truck cut off the bike? or turned without indicating or decided to stop for no reason because a Thai would never drive in such a way?

Gotcha! Could you not taste the sarcasm? Did you not see the graphic (not to mention the avatar)? And you checked every single thread and every one of the culprit's posts? Did you have your sarcasm detector turned on while checking (or do you even have one?)?

Or, on the other hand, maybe you got The Max/us ... but somehow I doubt it. Now, that would have been so cool. Roos kick butt! Ruskies? I don't know ...

Edited by MaxYakov

I would lay 100:1 on this and call it a good bet.

Those who think otherwise obviously haven't driven enough on Thai roads.

Edited by happysanook

If the Russian had learned how to behave like Thais and more experienced expats, he should have smiled to the police and paid 2000 baht for the injury he caused to the driver, case closed .

Instead he know faces a Thai prison .

Edited by balo

Maybe the Eastern chap thought his Asian counterpart had given him the finger ....which is ,as a recent thread shows ,and regardless of which party is initially to blame , justification for administering a severe beating . Only difference being it was a German taking a hiding ...and the police not being as efficient in apprehending the Asian perpetrators .

I don't know who was at fault but YouTube is full with videos of some serious road rage in Russia. And when I was working in a resort town with predominantly Russian visitors; a couple had to be scraped off the road every week. Vodka, bad driving, and maybe never haven driven a bike before (not many motorbikes in Russia) are a bad mix.

Well the gentle policeman looks like he's only going to listen to the Thai guy - you can see it the his face. There are several policeman that have this look and best stay away, whereas there are some that are always pleasant and friendly no matter what abuse they get. The problem is like several have said, there is a clash of cultures, and verbal abusing the police is not the idea situation especially in a country that you are visiting.

I recall a time when an over zealous Big C security parking attendant wrapped a chain around my bike and demanded 500 Baht to remove it (No it was not parked in a stupid place); I walked away into Big C and brought a pair of bolt croppers for 200 Baht, I went out and cut the chain off - the security went crazy (Yea very funny indeed) he then called the police, when they came it was obvious he was a good friend of the security guard. I gave a few polite Thai words thus he responded in the same manner, and once explained he simply requested that I buy a new length of chain, which cost 40 Bath. The moral of this is be polite and to start with be respectful to the police - if you come from another culture you should at least take advice from the many areas that provide information in how and not to behave in another country.

Maybe the Eastern chap thought his Asian counterpart had given him the finger ....which is ,as a recent thread shows ,and regardless of which party is initially to blame , justification for administering a severe beating . Only difference being it was a German taking a hiding ...and the police not being as efficient in apprehending the Asian perpetrators .

East, Easten, Easterner, more East, far East----Asia

more fun