Scheduled Maintenance---Time or Distance Traveled?

I bought a Honda Jazz 15 months ago, and it has 8,100 Kilometers on it.

I did an oil and filter change at 5,000 kilometers about 5 months ago at a local shop.

I'm going into to town for a medical check up next week and thought it would be a good time to do the Honda's scheduled 10,000 kilometer service because the Honda dealership is near the hospital. However, when I called to make an appointment, the Honda rep said they wanted to do the 30,000 kilometer/18 month service.

Below is their scheduled maintenance chart:

http://honda.co.th/owner/periodical/result

(2012/Automatic)

30 K maintenance seems crazy to me as the car only has 8 K on it, but I fully acknowledge that I don't have nearly the automotive experience that others on TV have.

Any knowledgeable feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

UCS

smile.png

Sorry, I just checked the piece of paper hanging from my steering wheel, but it's too late to edit the above post.

It was 4 months and 3,000 kilometers ago that I changed the oil and oil filter.

The air filter has never been changed.

Does anyone know what the "element filter" is/does?

How about the washer drain (Engine)?

Edited by up-country_sinclair

Your warantee depends on regular servicing by qualified mechanics...usually here the dealer.

Service intervals are given as milage or time. This is because oils accumulate water if sitting etc,

By time you are due for a 30k service, You should get this to have any hope of keeping your warantee if you have not allready lost it.

• Like 1

Somewhere the service schedule will state both time and distance limits for some items. For example, engine oil is usually 10,000 km or 6 months, which ever comes first. Warranty will depend on complying with both so services for low milage cars need to be adapter to suit.

The dealer is probably suggesting the 30,000 km service because the car is close to 18 months old. This service is only an engine oil change and an air filter element so is a good idea. Honda suggest changing oil filters every second oil change. Personally I would do it every oil change.

The filter element is the corrugated paper bit that filters dust from the air.

The washer drain is probably the seal washer on the sump plug.

Keep in mind service schedules are set for average use. Cars that do low km sometimes also do lots of cold starts and short runs. This is harder on lube oil, brakes etc. Servicing these cars more frequently is a good idea.

• Like 1

I have a Camry which is now almost 5 years old but has only 32.000 km.

I suspect that they would like to do a 60.000 km service next time when it is in the garage.

As long this is a normal service i don't care how they call it but if this is one of the big intervals with for example belt change i will pass as this only has to be done when you really are doing the mileage.

• Like 1

The little stickers used to say 'whichever occurs first' but no longer do.

The dealer berated my wife last week for bringing her Jeep in so 'late' for it's 40,000 service - and then did it at 27,000.

• Like 1

I suspect that they would like to do a 60.000 km service next time when it is in the garage.

As long this is a normal service i don't care how they call it but if this is one of the big intervals with for example belt change i will pass as this only has to be done when you really are doing the mileage.

Rubbish, belt changes especially the "Timing Belt" are very time dependent as the belt rubber hardens, like tyres.

Failure to change can result in catostrophic engine failure if they break. I just paid $AUD1800 to have it done on wifes 2006 Holden Vectra (Opel/Vauxhall) with 35000Km in Perth

The schedules are for whichever comes first, not whichever you prefer.

Think about it, if you had your choice, a delivery truck owner could go 100,000 Km before the first service, and a guy that only drives a few km a day could go 10 years without service.

It’s not just a hat-rack.

• Like 1

OP as others have suggested you run the risk of losing the warranty. I had similar problem last year and the Mitsu dealer ended up doing the two services back to back one day after the other to validate the warranty! Fortunately they agreed to only do one oil change sad.png

• Like 1

Rubbish, belt changes especially the "Timing Belt" are very time dependent as the belt rubber hardens, like tyres.

Failure to change can result in catostrophic engine failure if they break. I just paid $AUD1800 to have it done on wifes 2006 Holden Vectra (Opel/Vauxhall) with 35000Km in Perth

AUD1800 for a cam belt change sounds a bit over the top. Did they do anything else at the same time?

It would cost about $400 in New Zealand for labour and the belt.

AUD1800 for a cam belt change sounds a bit over the top. Did they do anything else at the same time?

It would cost about $400 in New Zealand for labour and the belt.

In Australia the do not use old sheepdog collars for the belt.

Seriously Australian labor service charges are now much too high. Glad I live in Thailand now.

Edited by harrry

Just looked at the service chart. THe 30000 is only the basic oil change. May be best to get them to change the filters etc they would have done at the 20k too. Only cost a few hundred baht more.

Edited by harrry

My pickup has over 60,000Km on the clock (I just had the service) and is 17 months old. I have them change the filter at every service, and I’ve spent a total of THB 10,125 for service. If I break the cost of service cost down by time, it’s about THB 20.0/day or THB 600/month. I spend more than that having it washed.

Also worth noting is that fuel costs THB 2.3 per Km, and service costs THB 0.17/Km, so fuel costs 35 times as much as the service.

Yeah, let’s cheap out on the service!

I don’t get it. It reminds me of a guy that has $5,000 worth of gear and spends $2,000 to go fishing, and then squeaks at spending $20 for new line.

• Like 1

My pickup has over 60,000Km on the clock (I just had the service) and is 17 months old. I have them change the filter at every service, and I’ve spent a total of THB 10,125 for service. If I break the cost of service cost down by time, it’s about THB 20.0/day or THB 600/month. I spend more than that having it washed.

Also worth noting is that fuel costs THB 2.3 per Km, and service costs THB 0.17/Km, so fuel costs 35 times as much as the service.

I don’t get it. It reminds me of a guy that has $5,000 worth of gear and spends $2,000 to go fishing, and then squeaks at spending $20 for new line.

You make some good points. Most engines appreciate being looked after and the filter change at regular intervals will give you improved mileage and performance as well.

Re your fishing mate - I've got one that spent 60k on golf clubs, spends 8-10k a week playing golf, and buys the cheapest nastiest second hand balls he can find.

You make some good points. Most engines appreciate being looked after and the filter change at regular intervals will give you improved mileage and performance as well.

Re your fishing mate - I've got one that spent 60k on golf clubs, spends 8-10k a week playing golf, and buys the cheapest nastiest second hand balls he can find.

And much like a dirty oil filter, no one in the clubhouse can see the crappy balls...

My ford said 9 months or 15000km for first service.

Whichever comes first is when it will go in.

Follow the book within warranty period and then use common sense.

Think I would use common sense well ''before'' what your Ford figures state. sad.png