Typhoon Utor forecast to drench 27 Thai provinces

webfact

Typhoon Utor forecast to drench 27 provinces
The Nation

30212657-01_big.jpg?1376525202538

BANGKOK: -- THE METEOROLOGICAL Depart-ment has warned that Typhoon Utor, which was due to make landfall in China's Guangdong province late yesterday, will bring heavy rain to 27 Thai provinces today and tomorrow.

They are Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Roi Et, Kalasin, Maha Sarakham, Sakhon Nakhon, Nakhon Panom, Mukdahan, Amnat Charoen, Ubon Ratchathani, Yasothon, Si Sa Ket, Nong Khai, Beung Kan, Udon Thani, Nong Bua Lamphu, Loei, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat, Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi and Trang.

Department chief Worapat Tiewthanom warned that this season's first typhoon gathering in the South China Sea was as powerful as Typhoon Gay, which ravaged southern Thailand in 1989.

He urged travellers to southern China, Macau and Hong Kong to check weather forecasts before their departure.

Rain over Andaman, Gulf

Worapat said the strong southwest monsoon over the South, the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand would bring abundant rain and isolated heavy rain in coastal areas of the East, as well as the southwest coast.

Wind-driven waves in the Andaman Sea and the upper Gulf would be two metres high and all ships should proceed with caution during this period.

In Chanthaburi's Laem Sing district, two people were slightly injured from glass cuts and 15 houses in Tambon Bang Sa Kao were damaged - nine severely - in a summer storm on Tuesday night. Homeowner Yupa Hongthong, whose roof was blown away, recalled that the storm hit suddenly while her family was sleeping on the second floor, but fortunately nobody was hurt.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-15

I don't understand this at all. Utor is heading for Guangxi in south China and is much more likely to affect the Thai upper north than Isaan. Yesterday it was reportedly "heading for Tak". Does this meteorologist have a map?

Maybe it is going to change direction

• Like 2

I don't understand this at all. Utor is heading for Guangxi in south China and is much more likely to affect the Thai upper north than Isaan. Yesterday it was reportedly "heading for Tak". Does this meteorologist have a map?

Maybe it is going to change direction

Break up...., spill (no pun intended) southerly and southwesterly.

Monsoon imminent in Andaman Sea

BANGKOK, 15 August 2013 (NNT)-The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) has warned residents of Ranong and Pang Nga provinces of possible flash floods as typhoon Utor has already landed in China.

Preparation for emergency situations is now underway given the impact of the typhoon in China will likely be felt on the west coast of Southern Thailand. According to the DDPM, Utor would likely bring more rains to the region during this time. Rescue teams in provinces at risk, including Pang Nga and Ranong, will be on standby 24 hours a day in case of flash floods and other emergency situations.

Utor is expected to weaken and become a low pressure system soon. Any Thais planning to travel to China have been advised to pay attention to the most updated weather report before taking the trip. Even though it has not been confirmed to what extent the typhoon will affect Thailand, it is certain that provinces located along the coast of the Andaman Sea will have to battle against the monsoon for awhile.

Residents of Trang and Krabi have been warned of mudslides as heavy rains could potentially cause soil erosion and rockslide. People living in Chantaburi an Trat have also been warned of flash floods.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-08-15 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

WRONG!!! Typhoon's effects are immanent...no? ;-} rap.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsoon
Monsoon is traditionally defined as a seasonal reversing wind accompanied by corresponding changes in precipitation,[1] but is now used to describe seasonal changes in atmospheric circulation and precipitation associated with the asymmetric heating of land and sea.[2][3] Usually, the term monsoon is used to refer to the rainy phase of a seasonally-changing pattern, although technically there is also a dry phase.

The major monsoon systems of the world consist of the West African and Asia-Australian monsoons. The inclusion of the North and South American monsoons with incomplete wind reversal has been debated.[4]

The term was first used in English in British India (now India, Bangladesh and Pakistan) and neighbouring countries to refer to the big seasonal winds blowing from the Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea in the southwest bringing heavy rainfall to the area.[5][6] The south-west monsoon winds are called 'Nairutya Maarut' in India.

• Like 1

Sitting in my apartment in Sanzao near Zhuhai, Utor had been hammering the place for days, it is starting to taper off now, but I had a look at the sattelite picture and it is very broad and heading for Isaan, I hope my house is going to be OK.

Even now on the tail end, some gusts I estimate at 80 to 100 Miles an hour, short and very strong.

Good luck Thailand

There is definately something wrong with the lead post when you look at the thai meteorologial departments storm tracking map.Utor has been downgraded to a tropical depression and still may cause problems over a wide area but I'm not sure about some of the aea's mentioned.

Left click on image to enlarge it.

post-140056-0-73463900-1376548791_thumb.

Edited by Ron19
  • Like 1

Yes this a serious safety issue!

Why don't you contact the meteorologist and ask him?

The link for the Thai meteorological department.

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/

The storm warning on there seems to be slightly different.

I normally go to this page but I've no idea how to get there from the home page.

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province.php?id=27

We could do with some rain for the rice in Mahasarakham just not too much.

Anyway let's hope everyone will be safe.

Edited by kimamey

From OP:

Department chief Worapat Tiewthanom warned that this season's first typhoon gathering in the South China Sea was as powerful as Typhoon Gay, which ravaged southern Thailand in 1989.

I'm puzzled by the wording of the article, since this typhoon came to my attention when it was a Category 4 "Super Typhoon" over the Philippines, and has been tracking toward China, losing strength as it goes.

post-33251-0-01736600-1376556810_thumb.g

(source: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/wp201311.asp)

Not to say it's not still a formidable weather system, but to say that it is "gathering in the South China Sea" makes it sound like it is being formed as we speak.

Edited by wpcoe

I wonder if the Thai weather forecasters are looking at the same weather map as I am.

They don’t use maps, they use seaweed that they hang outside the weather center when things look bad they may send someone out with a device that looks like a water diviner, in fact these were purchased (cheap) recently and were used as bomb detectors previously (ADE 651).

Very often the weather man will lick his finger and stick it out of the window, this scientific method gives a very accurate wind speed reading, if the wind is in the "very very fast" category he will need to lick his entire hand to achieve a more accurate reading (generally the accuracy is within an accepted 50/50 range).

Thunder storm distances are measured by counting between the flash and the bang this is called the "flash/bang index" and can measure the distance of the storm to an accuracy of 1% (this method is very accurate when the storm is near the weather center). but the range can be extended if the staff call home and get the field agent to carry out the test locally (usually grandpa or grandmas volunteer for this work.

All this advanced science is taught in Thai schools. Universities teach more advanced courses which will include field studies that include "I am wet so it must be raining" & "I am very wet so it must be a storm"

I hope this give some valuable incites into the very effective Thai weather man.

Edited by newermonkey
  • Like 1

That list of provinces is strange. It seems everyone will get the deluge except Buriram which is just about in the middle of the other provinces listed. Come on, play fair, we need the water for our rice. Also I think I am confused by references to the Andaman sea in reference to the Typhoon that just landed in China. It may have passed unnoticed but there is a huge chunk of land between the two, so, are we talking about another jolly event coming in from the west or has someone shifted China over a bit without due consultation..........

Yes this a serious safety issue!

Why don't you contact the meteorologist and ask him?

Intelligence is clearly not... your high point.