Where to buy a 10ft rod that breaks down small and is very strong.

dogpoo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never seen anything like that here, I,m a rod builder and deal in many different blanks and its not easy even to find 2 piece blanks in asia,

may i ask why you want a 10ft rod?

Hi it would be for float fishing, Cahor the target species, as you might know these grow to enormous sizes, difficult to fish with a smaller rod when the depth of water is over 15ft. Plus I intend carrying the rods on my Honda Forza so small when made up is important, I have tried to find here with no luck, I have tried a couple of stores in the UK also with no luck!

If I cannot find I will have to use my small rods free-lining or ledgering!

I have a friend who was selling a travel rod here in bkk but i cant remember the details, he was an avid carp angler from the uk so theres a good chance it might be what your looking for,

Will get in touch with him later and ask,

I never seem to come across multi piece blanks these days but if you can find the blank you need i can build with any design or colours.

If I cannot find I will have to use my small rods free-lining or ledgering!

I have a friend who was selling a travel rod here in bkk but i cant remember the details, he was an avid carp angler from the uk so theres a good chance it might be what your looking for,

Will get in touch with him later and ask,

I never seem to come across multi piece blanks these days but if you can find the blank you need i can build with any design or colours.

Maybe it's because there is no corse fishing here as in the Western world, the majority of Thai's use short rods that can handle Moby dick with line that could land a blue whale, not a problem I will find a way to take my rods on the bike somehow!!

I got the shimano travel rod for around 80 pound back here in the uk

if you know anyone coming over get them to bring you one.

i've got one and its a great rod, just goes over my shoulder in a 2 foot tube bag.

i've had some big fish on this rod and i use a shimano bait runner with it.

post-185697-0-27380000-1376817353_thumb.

i got mine from bob-oc in the uk but here's a link

http://www.summerlands-tackle.co.uk/product.php/30635/shimano-exage-bx-specimen-carp-travel-rod-2-75lb-test?gclid=CPr-hs3ThrkCFUXKtAodsTAAdg

Try to find a Shimano Beastmaster or Exage rod. They are available in either 5 sections or as telescopic versions and come with a hard case zip-up tube for protection. They're not cheap (£70 -£110) but are absolute quality. I spend 8 weeks over 2 holidays in Chiang Mai every year and use the Beastmaster for both lightweight fishing and also for species up to 40kg. They fit easily into my suitcase. Not sure about availability in Thailand but if you're willing to have sent from overseas, or get a friend to bring during a visit, then it's very worthwhile. Google them for details!

Tight Lines.

i've got one and its a great rod, just goes over my shoulder in a 2 foot tube bag.

exagspec.png

http://www.summerlands-tackle.co.uk/product.php/30635/shimano-exage-bx-specimen-carp-travel-rod-2-75lb-test?gclid=CPr-hs3ThrkCFUXKtAodsTAAdg

Cheers mate, that is exactly what I am looking for, comes in 3lb test curve which would be perfect!!

I used to fish with long rods but for the big fish smaller rods are just much better. Also you should use heavy line because else in a fishing lake your bothering others if you cant control your fish. Many of those small rods and reels cost more them a measly 100 quid. MNy thais got 20.000 bt reels its just that at first i did not recognise them.

I got a shory rod for bungsamran 3 kings its over 10.000 bt.

Thais are not stupid i used to think that but the gear they are using is often far superior to what we are usrd too. Believe me i tried both.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

exagspec.png

Cheers mate, that is exactly what I am looking for, comes in 3lb test curve which would be perfect!!

Yep its the best idea i had back in the uk....

i was fed up of renting rubbish rods and reals...

i had a good look around and i couldnt find anything i wanted so when i got back i called into my local fishing store called BOB CO

they do on line sales too ..

i wondered about the test curve and if it would be strong enough and its just fine.

i used 20 pound line with it...

funny really when i get the rod out many laugh at it and say thats no good ..... the rod nearly doubles up but its still working fine..

im just ordering some bait here in the uk to take with me on my next trip ... I'm looking at targeting the carp

this place will help you and post it to you

Tel: 01132 499 943

http://www.bobcotackle.co.uk/

just had a look on the site and i found this

http://www.bobcotackle.co.uk/shop/Shimano-Tribal-Stalker

Edited by lanzalad

I used to fish with long rods but for the big fish smaller rods are just much better. Also you should use heavy line because else in a fishing lake your bothering others if you cant control your fish. Many of those small rods and reels cost more them a measly 100 quid. MNy thais got 20.000 bt reels its just that at first i did not recognise them.

Thais are not stupid i used to think that but the gear they are using is often far superior to what we are usrd too. Believe me i tried both.

I have quality gear, my 2 rods cost around 20000฿ I need travel rods as I will be using the motorbike in the future for my fishing trips, also float fishing in depths over 15ft is not practical with a short stiff action rod!

• Like 1

I have quality gear, my 2 rods cost around 20000฿ I need travel rods as I will be using the motorbike in the future for my fishing trips, also float fishing in depths over 15ft is not practical with a short stiff action rod!
I do agree it is much easier to control big fish with a smaller rod, I think all the expensive pay lakes use long rods at least 10 ft length.

Never seen anything like that here, I,m a rod builder and deal in many different blanks and its not easy even to find 2 piece blanks in asia,

Would it be possible to have a rod made into 3 sections rather than the 2 it is at the moment?

Please explain that one to me as I don't understand it. My JM rod is real strong and got great action. Please explain it to me I would love to learn some new stuff.

ActuallI have fished extensively with long rods shimano 12ft 3lb and other long rods in Thailand they are not practical. For big fish a smaller rod is preferable especially in bungsamran. However i fished long rods in shadow lake and the only thing long rods have over short rods is casting distance.

The fact that for instance gilhams has long rods has more to do with the fact that Brits don't like to change their habits and the client-base is used to rods like that. In reality a short rod with a good mutiplier reel would get the fish in easier and better.

Believe me I have fished extensively with shimano baitrunners and such but they are just made for weaker fish.

Please explain that one to me as I don't understand it. My JM rod is real strong and got great action. Please explain it to me I would love to learn some new stuff.

ActuallI have fished extensively with long rods shimano 12ft 3lb and other long rods in Thailand they are not practical. For big fish a smaller rod is preferable especially in bungsamran. However i fished long rods in shadow lake and the only thing long rods have over short rods is casting distance.

The fact that for instance gilhams has long rods has more to do with the fact that Brits don't like to change their habits and the client-base is used to rods like that. In reality a short rod with a good mutiplier reel would get the fish in easier and better.

Believe me I have fished extensively with shimano baitrunners and such but they are just made for weaker fish.

What would you like explained? I want to float fish using a thin long float, float fishing in deepish water is not practical with a short rod, I like my short rods for free-lining and ledgering but they are not practical for float fishing! I don't understand your quote about bait runners, are you saying the 8000D is useless for big fish?

• Like 1

What would you like explained? I want to float fish using a thin long float, float fishing in deepish water is not practical with a short rod, I like my short rods for free-lining and ledgering but they are not practical for float fishing! I don't understand your quote about bait runners, are you saying the 8000D is useless for big fish?

As I said before I agree with you that short rods are best for big fish, when float fishing on the bottom a small rod is useless, the stop for the float would be on the reel making casting difficult, hence the need for a longer rod!

• Like 1

Would it be possible to have a rod made into 3 sections rather than the 2 it is at the moment?

Sorry...i would,nt start cutting into a modern blank, but if you can find a blank already designed as a 3 piece building it is no more difficult than 1 piece as its just a matter of finding the spine on each section before wrapping,

A friend is still on the search for a quantity of 3 piece blanks since a while which i would build for wels catfish in europe...lots of emails and samples sent to blank producers but nothing yet, will see how that goes.

Rob fished with 6500 bait runners for years but i,m afraid i,m guilty of taking him to the dark side, he never turned back, he knows his bait runners well and i guess uses the same set ups at gillams,

Couple of weeks ago i built a rod from a black rock 40-60Pe matched to a brand new bait runner 12000 oc ( 50lb mono) went out with rob one night to test it, both worked just fine with the rod loading up nice and smooth drag until i one time hooked up into something bigger, i had the drag locked down and i was still losing at times, they have their limits compared to accurate boss or jm,

Better dont think about the line stoppers too much, i use rubber bands mostly deep enough to be a couple of winds on the spool, i just dont notice them when casting.

Edited by tingtongfarang

Rob fished with 6500 bait runners for years but i,m afraid i,m guilty of taking him to the dark side, he never turned back, he knows his bait runners well and i guess uses the same set ups at gillams,

Couple of weeks ago i built a rod from a black rock 40-60Pe matched to a brand new bait runner 12000 oc ( 50lb mono) went out with rob one night to test it, both worked just fine with the rod loading up nice and smooth drag until i one time hooked up into something bigger, i had the drag locked down and i was still losing at times, they have their limits compared to accurate boss or jm,

Better dont think about the line stoppers too much, i use rubber bands mostly deep enough to be a couple of winds on the spool, i just dont notice them when casting.

Thanks for the explanation, where I fish one of the best methods is float fishing with a waggler on the bottom, depth being approx 10/15ft the long rod is by far the best to use when fishing like this, quite a few people I know fish with the longer rod and have no problems, of course controlling big fish with a longer rod is not as good as the shorter rod, I am going fishing next week so maybe I will try float fishing with the shorter rod first before I splash out 5000฿ on the long rod!

Sorry...i would,nt start cutting into a modern blank, but if you can find a blank already designed as a 3 piece building it is no more difficult than 1 piece as its just a matter of finding the spine on each section before wrapping,

A friend is still on the search for a quantity of 3 piece blanks since a while which i would build for wels catfish in europe...lots of emails and samples sent to blank producers but nothing yet, will see how that goes.

I have found this rod, Greys Excursion 2.13 m long, 6 piece, 10-20 ounce casting weight, fixed reel seat, could you explain the casting weight what would this be in test curve, what does the fixed reel seat mean, would it be okay with my 8000D bait runner?

I have found this rod, Greys Excursion 2.13 m long, 6 piece, 10-20 ounce casting weight, fixed reel seat, could you explain the casting weight what would this be in test curve, what does the fixed reel seat mean(is this the

Screw type, would it be okay with my 8000D bait runner?

I have found this rod, Greys Excursion 2.13 m long, 6 piece, 10-20 ounce casting weight, fixed reel seat, could you explain the casting weight what would this be in test curve, what does the fixed reel seat mean(is this the

Screw type, would it be okay with my 8000D bait runner?

www.summerlands-tackle.co.uk/product.php/14230/greys-excursion-rod-8ft-10-20lb-6pc

Basically yes that is what I am saying, but you will never know it until you have either tried my gear or ting tong his gear. The drag on for instance the accurate bx500 is so much stronger and smoother that playing the fish is much more a pleasure.

I have used the shimano 6500 extensively in Thailand the first years I thought like you until tingtong introduced me to the accurate reel, it took a lot of changing my habits but for fish playing and strenght and smoothness of the drag nothing beats it. It leaves a shimano far in the dust. But it is a lot more expensive 20k baht. So yes you pay for quality. If you ever fish in BKK and want to do BSR we can show you.

Hi you are saying the line stopper bothers you while casting ? We just use rubber bands and its easy as hell the guides at Bungsamran showed us. But even before that using normal line stoppers I never had a problem with a short rod.

But to give you an idea for years 2-3 I fished here with a rod pod and 2 10ft shimano rods (1 beastmaster and the other actually 12ft 3lb rod). Both had shimano 6500b bait-runners on it but the drag was never as smooth as any of the multiplier reels. I only found that out later and i started to recognize Thai setups some spend 30k on their setup (you would never know unless you know what to look for) Now I got setups like that too.

Only problem was learning to cast with them.. i still make mistakes now and again.

Hi you are saying the line stopper bothers you while casting ? We just use rubber bands and its easy as hell the guides at Bungsamran showed us. But even before that using normal line stoppers I never had a problem with a short rod.

But to give you an idea for years 2-3 I fished here with a rod pod and 2 10ft shimano rods (1 beastmaster and the other actually 12ft 3lb rod). Both had shimano 6500b bait-runners on it but the drag was never as smooth as any of the multiplier reels. I only found that out later and i started to recognize Thai setups some spend 30k on their setup (you would never know unless you know what to look for) Now I got setups like that too.

Only problem was learning to cast with them.. i still make mistakes now and again.

I only go fishing maybe 4 times a year, spending huge amounts on reels is not worth it to me, the Shimano bait runners 8000D are perfect for me, as for the float stoppers it is just so much easier using a longer rod, I have seen many Falang fishing at Cha am and not one has used a short rod, I am the only person to do so, yes short rods are definitely better when it comes to controlling large fish, I have always used my short rods for free-lining and ledgering but for me when it comes to fishing on the bottom using a float in deep water a long rod is the way to go providing the rod is strong enough to handle big fish!

I only go fishing maybe 4 times a year, spending huge amounts on reels is not worth it to me, the Shimano bait runners 8000D are perfect for me, as for the float stoppers it is just so much easier using a longer rod, I have seen many Falang fishing at Cha am and not one has used a short rod, I am the only person to do so, yes short rods are definitely better when it comes to controlling large fish, I have always used my short rods for free-lining and ledgering but for me when it comes to fishing on the bottom using a float in deep water a long rod is the way to go providing the rod is strong enough to handle big fish!

oK,

Yes I fish quite a lot more then you and if you only fish that many times a year it makes no sense at all. Still you are invited to fish with us in BSR once if you are up to it. Have a nice chat and such.

I was not attacking you in anyway hope you understand that, just that did the same you did. As for rods, i think the beastmaster that I have would be perfect for you as it is 3 pieces (actually more like 2 and a small piece) but it it strong enough to control any fish as it is a catfish rod. I might even be willing to sell it for a good offer as it is not being used.

http://www.raven.nl/gb/product/others/1868_catfish_rods/beastmaster_super_cat/bmaxscat/