SENSATIONAL Thai guitar player - Jack Thammarat

piston broke

He is really talented. Does he play in Bangkok?

yes.....

He certainly plays and sounds excellent, but why, when I go to any function in Thailand, most singers can't even sing in key, but again, I have heard a few live bands in Pattaya and they are very good. I have even played with some of them, but solo singers, oh my. Sorry about being a little off topic, maybe I should only be talking about guitarists. Most guitarists I have heard in Thailand have been reasonably good.

This guy is an accomplished guitarist but he is basically recreating licks note for note.

The original players are the 'sensational' talents here.

I'm sure you are all aware of Eric Johnson/Satriani/Petrucci etc smile.png

Any guitarist with about 5+ years of proper tuition and experience could play these licks.

And Thais are amongst the world's best when it comes to copying.

I'm not knocking the guy because he clearly has talent.

His original piece is pretty good however and I would go and see this chap if he played nearby smile.png

Edited by chonabot

Any guitarist with about 5+ years of proper tuition and experience could play these licks.

Strongly disagree with that statement

On what foundation do you base that opinion?

I've played and taught the guitar for 25 years plus and have seen many guitarists play this type of genre equally as well.

Just look on youtube for some similar displays, many of them from really young players.

As I said before, I don't want to rain on Jack's parade and agree he is a very capable guitarist :)

On what foundation do you base that opinion?

I've played and taught the guitar for 25 years plus and have seen many guitarists play this type of genre equally as well.

Just look on youtube for some similar displays, many of them from really young players.

As I said before, I don't want to rain on Jack's parade and agree he is a very capable guitarist smile.png

Just based on my life & experiences.

I built Electric guitars & tube amps for many years.

My wife was a high level exec for one of the biggest

Fender & Gibson distributors in the USA

Due to that every year we had VIP passes to NAAM in Anaheim

I have met the folks that Jack is covering in person & heard them play.

I have heard literally hundreds of slingers with much more than 5 years experience.

To say

"Any guitarist with about 5+ years of proper tuition and experience could play these licks."

Is just not the reality. Yes there are prodigy's like the folks Jack is covering but really the majority of players will never

reach that level. Physically it is not even possible for some to play such wide intervals in time & at those speeds.

Perhaps you can? Perhaps not but I just do not agree Any guitarist with 5 years playing can all play this way.

If it were true there would be far more to choose from for each months guitarist magazine cover :)

• Like 1

Well, you have a far better pedigree than I and I respect your opinion smile.png

Proper tuition is something that is perhaps not widely available considering the amount of people wanting to learn nowadays.

Many guitarists have been mimicked and if these types of displays turn other people onto the original music, then I'm all for that!

However I am far more impressed by guitarists coming up with an original style, no matter how haphazard the approach happens to be.

Hats off to Jack though, he seems to have caught the public's imagination so far.

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 1

Well, you have a far better pedigree than I and I respect your opinion smile.png

Proper tuition is something that is perhaps not widely available considering the amount of people wanting to learn nowadays.

Many guitarists have been mimicked and if these types of displays turn other people onto the original music, then I'm all for that!

However I am far more impressed by guitarists coming up with an original style, no matter how haphazard the approach happens to be.

Hats off to Jack though, he seems to have caught the public's imagination so far.

Of course it is hoped a guitarist will find their own voice signature sound etc.

It always comes back to that.

Folks like BB King may just play the minor/major pentatonic but when he stings a note there

is no need to ask who it is as you know it is him. It is "his" voice on the guitar

Some folks like Scott Henderson to hear him speak or when he gave classes at GIT he always said basically the same

as you & that was to say "something". Say something the audience can latch onto. Dont speak too fast too impress

as the audience cannot follow it. Take a little diddle & work it to pieces :) He did not like guys that could just play fast or technically clean

he thought it was boring. He wanted to hear something from the person & I agree & know this is what your saying too.

But it usually starts for most with mimicking their idols.

Not everyone can do that not in 5 or even 50 years.

It is just not possible for everyone no matter how hard they try.

Musicality is an art form & like painting not everyone can become a Picasso even if they practice

• Like 2

he's 23 and imho one of the best,,,,,,,,,,

I'm pleased that you think that, and he has a long road ahead of him smile.png

This little dude is going to be very good by the time he hits 23 - a real progidy :)

Edited by chonabot

Just as point of reference, Robben Ford was 29 when the above Montreux Jazz Festival piece Post #17 was recorded; was 25 when he briefly played with Miles Davis also recorded at Montreux; and was 22 or so when he joined Tom Scott & The LA Express.

• Like 1

Just as point of reference, Robben Ford was 29 when the above Montreux Jazz Festival piece Post #17 was recorded; was 25 when he briefly played with Miles Davis also recorded at Montreux; and was 22 or so when he joined Tom Scott & The LA Express.

Robben Ford

Now there is a guy with a very distinctive sound & guitar voice/style

Of course his Dumble amps have much to do with that but I have heard him play thru Fender amps too & sound

the same.

Excellent player

• Like 1

Jimmy Page was 24 when he recorded Led Zep1 and had already played on most of the UK recorded singles from the age of 16-24.

My personal favourite is Jeff Beck, this Jack has certainly got some nice exposure from the thread.

SInce the birth of the internet there have been many prodigies touted as the next big thing, few of them live up to the hype.

To become an established guitar great you need one of the following:

• A very distinctive style - SRV/ Hendrix/ Ford/ Beck/ Van Halen/ Rhoads / Johnson / Ford / Metheny / KIng
  • To be able to write some memorable songs and sell loads of units - Page ( over 300 million and rising) / Clapton - stil selling / Angus Young - zillions/ Gilmour

Personal taste is a big issue but the names above are undoubtedly huge influences even today.

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 1

• A very distinctive style - SRV/ Hendrix/ Ford/ Beck/ Van Halen/ Rhoads / Johnson / Ford / Metheny / KIng
  • To be able to write some memorable songs and sell loads of units - Page ( over 300 million and rising) / Clapton - stil selling / Angus Young - zillions/ Gilmour

I am a fan of quite a few names above especially Gilmour and Robben Ford but I wish there'd been more recognition for Andy Latimer of Camel.

• Like 1

Well, since we've gotten into this, I haven't heard any name here (great names!) so far I'd put above that of Roy Buchanan, "the greatest unknown guitarist." If you love guitar but don't know him, you must.

Wait for the solo at about 3:30:

THE definitive "Sweet Dreams:" (who needs a slide?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swX9oq6TVAU

I'd also mention Albert Lee and Gary Moore among the greats. Heard Slash playing recently and upped my appreciation of him. Carlos Santanta, now, is also a lot better than most people realize from just listening to his popular Latino stuff that we're all sick of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKo0FK6-O-E.

• Like 2